FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Moving files between Debian and Windows. Locale issues?

Arno v. Lumig
Hello hello,

When I try to move plain text files from my Debian machine to my Windows machine by USB sticks (I know I could use samba, but I can't for several personal reasons), Windows fails to read the endline characters (\n). These characters show up as a rectangle in every program I've tried so far.

I tried to set my locale to both UTF-8 and ISO-xxxx (forgot), but neither was of any use.

How do I transfer these files without this problem?

By the way, reading from the USB stick goes fine in both Linux (Debian) and FreeBSD, but not in any of the Windows machines I tried.

Maybe I should mention that the Windows PCs I tried it on are all Dutch machines (Dutch version of Windows).

Thanks in advance,
Arno
{name here}
Arno v. Lumig wrote:
Hello hello,

When I try to move plain text files from my Debian machine to my Windows machine by USB sticks (I know I could use samba, but I can't for several personal reasons), Windows fails to read the endline characters (\n). These characters show up as a rectangle in every program I've tried so far.

I tried to set my locale to both UTF-8 and ISO-xxxx (forgot), but neither was of any use.

How do I transfer these files without this problem?

By the way, reading from the USB stick goes fine in both Linux (Debian) and FreeBSD, but not in any of the Windows machines I tried.

Maybe I should mention that the Windows PCs I tried it on are all Dutch machines (Dutch version of Windows).

Thanks in advance,
Arno

Aren't those just issues with how Unix stores its text files. If so, there are two CLI programs made specifically to switch between the two styles of text file.
dos2unix
unix2dos
teko
I've never seen this before, what type of text files are they? are they ones you created yourself and what editor did you use to create?

I dual boot windows xp and ubuntu and I mount my linux drives when windows is booted and vice versa. I can open up text files using notepad or wordpad without seeing these boxes

Could you try creating a file using VI editor and transfer it across and see what happens?
Arnie
It's because Windows uses ASCII 13 and 10 as Newline, and Debian only ASCII 10. Thus, Windows does not recognise ASCII 10 as EOL character.

Open the text file with Edxor in Windows and it'll be fine. You can also use Edxor to save it, and it should automatically convert the file.
Arno v. Lumig
Arnie wrote:
It's because Windows uses ASCII 13 and 10 as Newline, and Debian only ASCII 10. Thus, Windows does not recognise ASCII 10 as EOL character.

Open the text file with Edxor in Windows and it'll be fine. You can also use Edxor to save it, and it should automatically convert the file.

I can't instally any software on that PC. The files are PHP scripts that I write, and I need to show them at my boss's (huh?) WinPC. I'll just do a recursive unix2dos, but I rather do it automagically...

Thanks,
Arno
Arnie
Edxor is one of those programs that you just download the raw EXE and run it right away. No installer required. It's a good editor for PHP scripting too. In my opinion, any PHP editor should have this EOL-function since many PHP scripts are exchanged between Unix and Windows computers... so I don't know what you're using now to view them, but Edxor may be a fine replacement.
{name here}
Arnie wrote:
Edxor is one of those programs that you just download the raw EXE and run it right away. No installer required. It's a good editor for PHP scripting too. In my opinion, any PHP editor should have this EOL-function since many PHP scripts are exchanged between Unix and Windows computers... so I don't know what you're using now to view them, but Edxor may be a fine replacement.

Wordpad usually is all you need for reading and writing for both types (but you can't save a new document in unix format, oddly).
Arno v. Lumig
{name here} wrote:
Arnie wrote:

Wordpad usually is all you need for reading and writing for both types (but you can't save a new document in unix format, oddly).

I have wos (Webserver On Stick) running to be able to show what I created, but wos doesn't think assci 10 is an eol, so some of my scripts (the ones that do file input and output) won't work.

I use notepad for showing the source... (And gedit to create it)