FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

slow... very slow...

vaoger
i am using window xp sp2...
it is brand new.... laptop which i buy a week a ago..
but since i start tranfer file from com to com...
my laptop start up very slow...

well i open the my computer...
the touchlight searching for something will showup ... and keep looking for about 2 minute..
how??
did i just get a bug or Virus???
RiCtee
What's the hardware stats?? To run Windows XP smoothly you will need something like 512MB of RAM. That's the ideal. Of course more programs = MORE RAM. Very Happy
vaoger
omg god... i have 4gb ram on it....
and runing on a GENUINE window Xp... on a vista capable laptop....
markblu
your problem is that it is all OEM. dell adds so much extras it just bogs everything down. ANYTIME you get a new computer you should start from scratch, if you own a cd key for windows, you can easily do this by downloading a 'performance edition' of xp with service pack 2 and all updates up to july (haven't seen an august yet) and a few tweaks like higher tcp/ip max socket limit, and more. yes, i know vista is cool, but man i fresh installed it on 3 different computers and each time it just gets soo bogged down so fast, xp is still the way to go for now, you can visually enhance it just as good as vista and even secure it down, and still have it more stable. i dunno, just a thought. by the way (DONT ASK I DONT CONDONE PIRACY) look to torrents for the 'performace edition' of xp and read up on it, though a real xp cd is usable :/
RiCtee
vaoger wrote:

Wow!! 4GB of RAM?? Even that would run Windows Vista Ultimate with minimal hassle.... what then would Windows XP need more? Confused
vaoger
RiCtee wrote:
vaoger wrote:

Wow!! 4GB of RAM?? Even that would run Windows Vista Ultimate with minimal hassle.... what then would Windows XP need more? Confused

Yap that why i ask...
is being other people joke... is the computer start so slow...
by the way i am not using WINDOW VISTA...
I Still a WinXp lover....

But Why it became so slow.....
there is no start up item in the start up list.. the all those agent had being close... but still so lag...
KHO
markblu wrote:
your problem is that it is all OEM. dell adds so much extras it just bogs everything down. ANYTIME you get a new computer you should start from scratch, if you own a cd key for windows, you can easily do this by downloading a 'performance edition' of xp with service pack 2...

Ok, first, he bought a laptop and he did not say anything about Dell. Though you were partially correct in that OEM laptops almost always come with extra crap you dont need, not everyone buys Dell's adware, Acer for example includes a few light progs that include drivers for their stuff, no ads. Secondly, re-installing your copy of windows is most likely a terrible idea. With the exception of Acer laptops, almost every other brand is a pain in the butt to get drivers for. But hey, if have no sound, mouse, poor display, no internet via modem OR ethernet OR wireless, and many other things such as USB support being completely GONE, then feel free to re-install windows with a new disk. Not too much to loose eh?

Now then, you mentioned you were using the windows app that provides transfer of data from machine to machine, I am assuming you have more then 8gb worth of data you are moving, Windows will try and make a nice lil indexed AND cached copy of EVERYTHING so that if you roll back then it will go away and be able to come back easily, and loading the directory will be easier. Do yourself a favor and do one of the following:

1) Network the machines and just copy files like normal
2) Use total commander to get the files easily
3) Get a crossover cable if you can't network and just copy the files over

Now, as I posted above, you did not specify WHICH brand/model of laptop you bought, you simply mentioned that it has 4Gb of RAM, which is most likely user upgraded.
1) Are you sure your computer supports more then 2Gb?
2) CPU name plz
3) Brand/model of computer plz

With the above I can give you more in-depth advice.
markblu
sorry got dell mixed up with another post. Confused

but the drivers, yea its hard to come by drivers but for mainstream components like intel boards, which have all things integrated and with driver packages available from intel.com for everything, its getting easier then it was with older laptops. intel is only an example.
KHO
I understand it is getting easier, however the last dell I reformated I had to spend upwards of 3hrs looking for drivers for it before it finally worked alright. And this was a model made last year, so its not always as easy as you may make it out to be. However with that said, I formated my Acer the other day and got a full set of drivers from the Acer website in a very easy menu and took about 10 minutes, so thank the Lord they are finally fixing their availability of these things!!!
vaoger
KHO wrote:
markblu wrote:
your problem is that it is all OEM. dell adds so much extras it just bogs everything down. ANYTIME you get a new computer you should start from scratch, if you own a cd key for windows, you can easily do this by downloading a 'performance edition' of xp with service pack 2...

Ok, first, he bought a laptop and he did not say anything about Dell. Though you were partially correct in that OEM laptops almost always come with extra crap you dont need, not everyone buys Dell's adware, Acer for example includes a few light progs that include drivers for their stuff, no ads. Secondly, re-installing your copy of windows is most likely a terrible idea. With the exception of Acer laptops, almost every other brand is a pain in the butt to get drivers for. But hey, if have no sound, mouse, poor display, no internet via modem OR ethernet OR wireless, and many other things such as USB support being completely GONE, then feel free to re-install windows with a new disk. Not too much to loose eh?

Now then, you mentioned you were using the windows app that provides transfer of data from machine to machine, I am assuming you have more then 8gb worth of data you are moving, Windows will try and make a nice lil indexed AND cached copy of EVERYTHING so that if you roll back then it will go away and be able to come back easily, and loading the directory will be easier. Do yourself a favor and do one of the following:

1) Network the machines and just copy files like normal
2) Use total commander to get the files easily
3) Get a crossover cable if you can't network and just copy the files over

Now, as I posted above, you did not specify WHICH brand/model of laptop you bought, you simply mentioned that it has 4Gb of RAM, which is most likely user upgraded.
1) Are you sure your computer supports more then 2Gb?
2) CPU name plz
3) Brand/model of computer plz

With the above I can give you more in-depth advice.

Acer Aspire 5920G Series
window xo sp 2 professional
Intel® Centrino® Duo mobile processor technology
160 GB harddisk
this what the reseller said "4GB using two soDIMM modules (dual-channel support)"
i still have the genuine window CD with me...
So what should i do??
markblu
wow!
that is a nice laptop!
maybe, i didn't look it up though, this laptop supports speedstep technology or another and its in a low power mode now? anyone want to check on this?
KHO
Ok, you have a very lucky case. Acer provides drivers for EVERYTHING on their site, so there is always the option of format and re-install. However, before we take such a drastic measure, humor me for a bit and download/run Autoruns ( http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/Autoruns.zip ), write down the names of the entries in the following locations:

Logon:
Boot Execute:
Winlogon:
Services:

You can sort out any that are signed by microsoft by going to options and hide microsoft entries. Anything that still says Microsoft Corp. or Microsoft Corporation is typically ok still, so dont record those.

I have confirmed on http://www.acer.com.my/product/prod_spec.aspx?model=Aspire+5920G&category=Mobile+PC&series=Aspire+5920G+Series
that you CAN have 4Gb soDIMM via 2 sticks, so theres no problem there.
From the way you described your problem, it seems that you bought this laptop used, and did not re-install windows, is this the case? And also, what kind of files have you copied over/what kind of programs have you installed? I know Acer does a Nortan Anti-Vir trial on their laptops, is that still running? Any additional information about running processes or programs will help avoid a full re-install.
billgertz
i got an acer 5050 laptop ang it works just fine. it's possible that your laptop got infected with a virus when you started transferring files from one computer to another. My laptop only has 512 ram and i never had a problem transferring files through network. the best thing you can do is to reformat your laptop, install its drivers then install all the programs that you need. btw, make a partition on your hard drive then create an image backup of your system drive. you will just use the image file if need to reformat your computer and you don't want to reinstall everything again.

if your computers is still slow after reinstalling/formatting, send your laptop back to where you bought it. its probably hardware failure if that's the case.
Fariza
try running disk defrager or disk clean up and go to start run regedit and delete all unnecessary files as thats where most of the viruses, files are hidden Very Happy
KHO
Fariza wrote:
try running disk defrager or disk clean up and go to start run regedit and delete all unnecessary files as thats where most of the viruses, files are hidden Very Happy
Umm.... not necessarily. If you go into regedit and start deleting things you THINK are bad, you will likely not be able to start windows next time you restart. So this is a bad idea. Just do my way and let me know plz, and fragmented HDD's are a thing of the past, your hdd would have to go through some serious trama to get fragmented to where it actually gives a noticeable difference. You likely did transfer a virus, which is why I asked what kind of files you transfered. But at that, you bought the laptop used. So its likely contaminated already.