FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

US forces are apparently THROWING bullets in Iraq now

datter
See anything wrong with the following pic and headline from yahoo news?

An elderly Iraqi woman shows two bullets which she says hit her house following an early coalition forces raid in the predominantly Shiite Baghdad suburb of Sadr City.

That came from here a few days ago, although the photo has either been removed or just pushed back farther in the slideshow over the past few days. I assume it's still in there someplace.

Seems to me that someone in the chain of publishing between the time that photo was taken, and the time it was put on the web should be able to recognize how bullets actually work. Smile
Soulfire
Must be because 190,000 AK-47 assault riffles went missing. Heh, figures.
Peterssidan
What do you mean? Would the bullets been deformed if they have been used? They look like new ones to me.
Moonspider
Peterssidan wrote:
What do you mean? Would the bullets been deformed if they have been used? They look like new ones to me.

They would have been fired. Those are unfired cartridges.

After you fire a cartridge, the empty brass shell (the long part in the photo) is ejected. The bullet is the small, lead tip at the top (the lead being encased in a full metal jacket).

That is why datter said that U.S. troops must be throwing them, because those have never been fired.

Respectfully,
M
ocalhoun
I really did lol at that!
That news reporting must be either very biased or very moronic...
Probably both.
HollyK
Maybe they are thrown because they had a flaw? In the heat of battle, I'm sure that noone bothers to keep track of individual bullets. It wouldn't be worth the time to put it up, so it would be faster to get rid of it.
Nameless
LOL. Well, you're obviously not suppose to realise they're unfired. Everyone knows the truth can be ... adjusted ... to make a better headline or accompanying picture. Rolling Eyes
neroyert
At first I thought, this was a joke, but I think A) the reporter is a moron B) the news is actually that biased or C) he's trying to make a point about the civilians. Anyway, where the hell did she get those?
Insanity
It could be that she just went looking around the house and saw some spare bullets that someone had stashed away and figured that someone had shot at them.
ocalhoun
^In which case, since arms were being stashed there, US troops may have been justified in shooting at the house...
moworks2
"US forces are apparently THROWING bullets in Iraq now"

this would explain why america is not winning the war...

kind regards...

M

ps. hi moonspider...hey, i'm gonna respond to the last post you did (months ago?)...via that matt lauer discussion...long delay...long story...blablabla...hope you are fine...
Billy Hill
moworks2 wrote:

That (the reason we're supposedly losing) has more to do with liberals trying to defeat Bush by defending Iran and terrorism via proxy than anything else.
Mannix
Billy Hill wrote:
moworks2 wrote:

That (the reason we're supposedly losing) has more to do with liberals trying to defeat Bush by defending Iran and terrorism via proxy than anything else.

Agreed.
moworks2
Billy Hill wrote:
moworks2 wrote:

boy, talk about silly responses and lack of intelligence...it seems to me the democrats have had no effect on bush and his insane ideas...and what, not wanting the american armed forces to bomb yet another country, that's defending terrorism?...

you've got bushitis buddy,...god toting, war mongering, profit making blablabla...

secondly, it was a subtle joke billy hill, there is nothing to win or lose in iraq...oh, except for life if that interests you...lots of life being lost...

like neil young once said, "no one wins, it's a war of man"...

kind regards

M
moworks2
Mannix wrote:
Billy Hill wrote:
moworks2 wrote:

Agreed.

you agree with this drivel? obvious nonsense and you put up your approval...ahhh, the bush legion showing its intelligence...

i'd really love to see a 'we' and not 'us & them' kind of attempt at living together for a change...there won't be an end to the violence until that happens...maybe it's a pipe dream but i know some people who don't think right/left or christian/muslim they think that division causes conflict and wouldn't it be nice if we could all live 'relatively happily' together...

M
ocalhoun
moworks2 wrote:

you agree with this drivel? obvious nonsense and you put up your approval...
boy, talk about silly responses and lack of intelligence...

boy, talk about flaming...
I could easily accuse you of the opposite of your 'bushitis'.
The main symptom of which is complaining about the status quo and saying how horrible it is, and offering only vague solutions for how to make it better, if any solutions at all are given.

So, it should be more of a 'we' approach rather than an 'us & them' approach? And exactly how are we to bring that about?
Billy Hill
ocalhoun wrote:
offering only vague solutions for how to make it better, if any solutions at all are given.

I was gonna say... they offered solutions? Oh, that's right, Impeach Bush! Get Out Of Iraq (no matter how real the reason we're there)! Bush Has Done Nothing Right!

Wink
ocalhoun
^Okay, let me revise that statement;
only vague, impossible, or obviously deconstructive solutions are given, if any are given at all.
moworks2
ocalhoun wrote:
moworks2 wrote:

you agree with this drivel? obvious nonsense and you put up your approval...
boy, talk about silly responses and lack of intelligence...

boy, talk about flaming...
I could easily accuse you of the opposite of your 'bushitis'.
The main symptom of which is complaining about the status quo and saying how horrible it is, and offering only vague solutions for how to make it better, if any solutions at all are given.

So, it should be more of a 'we' approach rather than an 'us & them' approach? And exactly how are we to bring that about?

sorry sport, you'll have to figure that one out all for yourself...but maybe, just maybe, before you condone killing you should look at yourself and try and know yourself better than you do...then maybe you'd have a small chance of understanding what i said...it's all up to you...

kind regards...

M
moworks2
Billy Hill wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
offering only vague solutions for how to make it better, if any solutions at all are given.

I was gonna say... they offered solutions? Oh, that's right, Impeach Bush! Get Out Of Iraq (no matter how real the reason we're there)! Bush Has Done Nothing Right!

Wink

I'd agree with that, he's done nothing right...but the other side of america, the democrats, they are as much to blame...oh, forgive me, the other side of american politics...of course we're not talking here of all republicans and all democrats neither all evangelists or jews or muslims for that matter...

but it was a good image, how the news twists the truth until it's what they want to show you and nothing else...kinda stuff that happens in america every day...wink, wink...

M
ocalhoun
Okay, so suppose we impeached the president, what would his replacement do any better? Do an immediate total pull-out from Iraq and cause chaos there?
Or would the replacement use as-of-yet-unknown techniques to foster a 'we' attitude with people who want to convert or kill the entire world?
<edit>
By the way, it would be nice if you would stop assuming that anyone who disagrees with you is a moron.
horseatingweeds
That's a good one datter! LOL

It's times like this I remember S3nd K3ys. He was always hand finding these kinds of photo. Those look like American made .223 cartridges to me. I wonder where she got them? I doubt they where miss-fires as someone suggested above. Those rounds are manufactured too well for two of them to fail.

More likely a soldier dropped them on a bumpy road or simply tossed a magazine to put in a full one.
ocalhoun
^Or she was handed them by the photographer...
"here, hold these" *click*
moworks2
ocalhoun wrote:

By the way, it would be nice if you would stop assuming that anyone who disagrees with you is a moron.

I'm not sure, but being that your post is just after mine, are you talking to me about this?

M
horseatingweeds
ocalhoun wrote:

Yeah, that's an even better theory. Anyway, if her house WAS being shot at, wouldn't she have a hand full of spent shells to go along with her shiny ready-to-fire ones?
mingd
horseatingweeds wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Yeah, that's an even better theory. Anyway, if her house WAS being shot at, wouldn't she have a hand full of spent shells to go along with her shiny ready-to-fire ones?

I think throwing cookies and biscuts would have more effect !
ocalhoun
^I can see it now:
Marine 1: "GRENADE!!"
*everybody dives down*
Marine 2: "Wait, its a cookie!"
Marine 3: "Cookies?"
All together: "I want some!"
Mannix
moworks2 wrote:
i'd really love to see a 'we' and not 'us & them' kind of attempt at living together for a change...there won't be an end to the violence until that happens...maybe it's a pipe dream but i know some people who don't think right/left or christian/muslim they think that division causes conflict and wouldn't it be nice if we could all live 'relatively happily' together...

M

Why don't you go tell these people who blow up markets and infrastructure to obtain publicity that you're interested in "relative happiness" with them?
Philou
I also think the bullets were probably handed by the photographer. Why unused bullets? Because it makes a clean picture, and most everybody won't know shit that those are not the real bullets. Which doesn't mean that woman's house wasn't shot at.

I'va had to work with some medias in the last few years, and it's often like that. There's a journalist who'll take care of listening to you and write the article, and a photographer who's gonna try and take some pictures going with it, pretty much how (s)he wants it to be.
moworks2
Mannix wrote:
moworks2 wrote:

M

Why don't you go tell these people who blow up markets and infrastructure to obtain publicity that you're interested in "relative happiness" with them?

Of course, taken out of context like this, what i wrote doesn't mean anything. And I for one don't believe you can talk with terrorists about peace. It's not in their vocabulary. But try and talk to Bush or Cheney about peace...it's not in their vocabulary either. Before you go labeling people, maybe take a look at the whole picture. The terrorists aren't in this field of play alone.

I'd never defend terrorism, but I won't swallow the war Bush has shoved down our throats either. It's not good. It's not about peace. It's not about anything but death and control. You want to look with open eyes?...then look at it, life, warts and all...

I feel like events are already in motion that neither you nor I can do much about. Just like no one could stop Bush from a first strike on Iraq. But that doesn't mean our lives have to be this way, that we have no choice but to quietly suffer the ignorance of these politicians and the rich. I feel like we need to live together first before we can solve these complex problems. Living together means dropping the 20 foot high walls we have around each other based on where we were born, religion, race, political affiliation, how much money you've got in the bank, etc, etc...

Seems impossible, no?, living together...but you've gotta say 'yes' or all is lost before we start, or at least say nothing and be willing to remain open...or we'll continue living as we do with the suffering and death and fear we cause one another over land, religion, politics, power, and money.

I don't feel you can talk with the Bush administration any more openly than you can with the politicians in Iran. They both have agendas and if you don't agree with them you're against them and they'll think nothing of killing you if you stand in their way. I feel this narrow political/religous way of controlling the lives of entire populations is old and destructive and needs some serious change...

What do you feel?...

M