FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Report button/Warning System/Deal with tide of crud

simplyw00x
Ok, here's the plan:

I can understand that, as this is a very multilingual forum, enforcing spelling/grammar restricitions is difficult. However, AOL is not a language. No-one learns AOL anywhere. Nowhere is is taught. Hence, warn people for using it.

Equally, AFAIK, not living in Britain does not entail being a moron. Hence, even though it may be veiled by atrocious English, people like this (budazz) are categorically stupid, and budazz also seems to be lazy to boot. Warn.

Basically, I love this forum, but even in the shortish time I've been here, it's gone downhill. Sure, you need the ad revenue, and it'd be a shame for this to die through lack of users. I would, however, postulate that you'd get more members if guests browsing the forum didn't quickly have their gag reflex invoked.

A warning system (and a report feature) comprises an essential part of any successful forum, and I don't see why there's an exception here. If I see a truly terrible post, I want to do something about it. Vote it minus (make them lose like 0.01 FRI$ or something), report it, whatever. This forum has become painful to read. Help, someone!
orno
agreed...
a warn + report system is very much needed especially when you have free stuff involved which would lead to tons of spam
S3nd K3ys
simplyw00x wrote:
Ok, here's the plan:

I can understand that, as this is a very multilingual forum, enforcing spelling/grammar restricitions is difficult. However, AOL is not a language. No-one learns AOL anywhere. Nowhere is is taught. Hence, warn people for using it.

Equally, AFAIK, not living in Britain does not entail being a moron. Hence, even though it may be veiled by atrocious English, people like this (budazz) are categorically stupid, and budazz also seems to be lazy to boot. Warn.

Basically, I love this forum, but even in the shortish time I've been here, it's gone downhill. Sure, you need the ad revenue, and it'd be a shame for this to die through lack of users. I would, however, postulate that you'd get more members if guests browsing the forum didn't quickly have their gag reflex invoked.

A warning system (and a report feature) comprises an essential part of any successful forum, and I don't see why there's an exception here. If I see a truly terrible post, I want to do something about it. Vote it minus (make them lose like 0.01 FRI$ or something), report it, whatever. This forum has become painful to read. Help, someone!

I feel you. Good points for sure. Another thing I would like to see, and if it doesn't happen soon, I'll be packing my bags and leaving, is a way to block certain forums from displaying int he New Posts section. I don't read polish or french or turky or spanish and would like to be able to place those forums on 'ignore'.

There's way too many people here and the site really is being degraded to the point where I don't even want to participate in it unless there's a stuge posting about politics which he obviously knows little to nothing about.

I'm also seeing some very bad decision making by the mods here. They need to step it up a notch and try to make an effort to consider the content of the threads they're locking down.

It's really not that hard to do, and I don't understand why it's not being done. (If you need help, admin, I've offered a couple times to help you)

Anyway, I'll probably give it another week or two then call it quits. I've already seen a couple of intelligent people here leave for this very reason or reasons similar.
n0obie4life
*searches*

I remember this gained a "No"
simplyw00x
Quote:
*searches*

I remember this gained a "No"

It's gotten worse since whenever that was posted; we've had morons post warez in main forums and only get banned after they do something else as well.
babumuchhala
i have been shouting for a report button since i became a member here.

but bonding still says its not worth it.

but i still dont get it
php_wizard_l33t
I think there should be some kind of warning system also. Maybe a button to vote on the post itself; or a report button.

I think it would be an awesome idea for those people who like to post stupid and meaningless things in the forums.
simplyw00x
Quote:
Maybe a button to vote on the post itself; or a report button.

Or maybe both? There was talk of rewarding the members that posted the most; why not reward those who get voted + the most, and take away FRI$/points for those that get voted -?
BlackSkad
You are absolutely right. Some people realy do ask silly questions. Like "Can you give an example?" and with just a few seconds on google you already have the answer. I mean, if people continue to pose such questions, the quality of the forums will go down quick.
I've already mentioned the tutorial-section being a mess (got no reaction to that one though), but the scripting-section might be even worse. Maybe you might add a controle by admins or mods before anything can be posted overthere (to get a higher quality and less useless questions)?
I love Frihost and what it offers, but the forum is indeed getting a mess.
simplyw00x
The scripting forum (AFAIK) is meant to be where people either discuss scripting or ask for help on it. Problem is, several people post inane tutorials or polls there. In terms of it being a help forum, it would be counter-intuitive to make moderators have to approve all topics there.
The solution, therefore, is to slap BIG FAT WARNINGS AND BANNINATIONS on people who flout rules. Much less work, much more effective.
Bondings
You all have a very good point. There is way too much spam and something should be done. I'll try to add some more moderators, but that won't be enough. I will also try out a warning mod or something similar.

I didn't have much time to spend on this forum lately and it won't get better in the soon future. But I will try to do everything in my possibility to stop this.

However, if you find a member who is really spamming a lot, posting warez or anything else, do not hesitate to pm me! If there is a thread like the israel one, who has gotten out of hands or just a spam topic, please contact me. Some people already did it a few times, thank you for this and please, go on. If you really think some topic/post shouldn't be there, pm me. It's maybe not the best solution, but a warning system won't be much better imo.

About budazz, I sent him a pm about it. You are completely right about him, but please do it a bit more 'softly' in the future. Always stay kind, in every possible situation. Wink
LostOverThere
Yeah, i think that would be a good idea.
Adding more Moderators wouldn't do much.
BUT so long as we act nice to each other, not like this:
forums.gamemaker.nl
n0obie4life
[quote="Bondings"] do not hesitate to pm me![/url]

Actually, any of the moderators Smile.

I'm free to install mods Very Happy.
Deji
http://www.phpbbhacks.com/searchresults.php?version=2&query=report&search_type=1&Submit=Go

various mods here

and i think this would be a good idea as it means any admin / mod can deal with reports, will mean spam gets delt with faster as long as the mods check the reports every time they sign in.

means you wont have to wait for 1 specific person to check their pms
tidruG
Deji wrote:
http://www.phpbbhacks.com/searchresults.php?version=2&query=report&search_type=1&Submit=Go

various mods here

and i think this would be a good idea as it means any admin / mod can deal with reports, will mean spam gets delt with faster as long as the mods check the reports every time they sign in.

means you wont have to wait for 1 specific person to check their pms

The first 4 show a lot of promise. Maybe, if you've taken a look at them, Bondings and decided on one, mOrpheus or James or noobie4life can install it for you while you're busy? I think we really need a report button... there's too much spam to be found manually.

I personally liked the one where the user can add his own comment to the report. It'll make it easier for the users to say whether they're reporting Spam/Flaming/Other Stuff, and we can deal with it according.
n0obie4life
Personnally, I don't really like Neil's Card Mod.