FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SPAM emails for refinance

bgillingham
Have you all been getting more and more of these refinance SPAMS?

I have looked up the domain names for many of these recent mailings and they ALL seem to originate from Bejing China. Now, is China actively trying to get our money (even though we owe them tons of it). I have to wonder how so many of these emails come from a country that has rather extreme restrictions on their internet use. Am I missing something? Outlook doesn't block anything reliably by itself, and using the Rules wizard to delete these messages based on content is not fail-safe (as it could delete genuine emails while leaving many of the SPAM get through).

I have gone to a few of these sites (never by clicking on their links, but by directly typing in their domain in a browser), and they all have the "remove me" link. I have started to have fun with my response comments , for example I have been claiming that they "...really just missed the boat since I just bought 200 acres in Alaska with 12 subdivisions. My refinance involved a loan for $9 Million with mortgages on a property in Manhattan."

Also, I don't need a luxury watch!
billgertz
i havent heared about that refinance spam. what we have on our email network is the card spam. me myself is getting 3-5 emails a day with a subject, love card, magic card, friend card or any subject that have card. what i've noticed is that all has an ip address link on it. i tried to check those ip randomly and found out that those ip address are coming from different locations of countries. i suspect that our mail server was infected with a botnetwork. I'm just not sure though.

anyway, going back to your concern, if you can identify the domain names, add them up on your blocked senders list. btw, what type of email service are you using? is it something from you company or a free email. most free email e.g. yahoo has robust spam filter. if its a company mail that your using, try to check it with your IT. or if it is from your ISP, call your technical support and they should be able to help you out.
bgillingham
billgertz wrote:
anyway, going back to your concern, if you can identify the domain names, add them up on your blocked senders list. btw, what type of email service are you using? is it something from you company or a free email. most free email e.g. yahoo has robust spam filter. if its a company mail that your using, try to check it with your IT. or if it is from your ISP, call your technical support and they should be able to help you out.
My email is published on my website with the same domain, but the server runs SpamAssassin - I'll have to check the settings the next time I access the hosting admin (but I lost the password when my HD marked my old outlook PST file as a bad file - and I lost all old emails). I have been adding domains to the blocked senders list, but it seems like there's two or three new domain names EVERY day.

To go a little bit off-topic, back up your data on a regular schedule. At the time I lost my old outlook emails, I was thinking "won't happen to me!" -- and at the same time, I have all of these rewritable discs that I am not using.

By the way, you should see what I drafted up to write back to those incessant V1aGra ads -- hah! Apparently, they already know that my email address is good.

Would you pay 1 for every email that you send? How about 5 for 10 emails (or 0.5 per)? Would this make SPAM go away?? Most likely it would nearly get rid of it -- and we are already paying 41 for snail mail in US, so even if it cost 1 to send an email, this would still be only 2.5% of what snail mail costs.
billgertz
bgillingham wrote:
.... My email is published on my website with the same domain

are you saying that you displayed your email address on your website? that is dangerous. maybe your email is already saved to spam a network. check http://www.private.org.il/harvest.html to know how spammers harvest email addresses. Worse comes to worst, you may need to change your email address to completely get rid of those spams.