FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My ferrets! (with pics!)

m00tmuffin
I did a ton of research and saved up and months later, ended up finding an ad for a pair of fuzzies at my local Humane Society. I ended up going there and fell in love with them.

Let me quickly dispell a few myths about them, too. /grin

1. They are not horribly smelly, just slightly musky--and as long as you wash their bedding weekly, feed them properly with the right food, and change their litter at least once a day, the smell is non-existant. It's somewhat of an aquired smell for some people, however, much like the smell of a barn/horses is to those that aren't around them, but you really stop noticing it after a minute or two.

2. They're not rats--they actually belong to the weasel family (known as Mustelidae) and are close in relation to otters, badgers, and minks.

3. Ferrets are not dangerous or wild creatures. They've been domesticated for close to two thousand years, and there has never been a reported case of rabies actually being transmitted from ferret to human. There are the few that have behavioural problems, but you'll find this with any animal, and in humans too, and most injuries are just a result of the ferret feeling threatened, being in pain or being mistreated.

But enough of that. Here are some pictures of my sweeties!

Coming home from the shelter...

Sleeping and being tired on the way home--aww. Smile

This is Rambo...he's not too fond of being held for a long period of time but looooves being chased.

He's kinda a weird little thing, and I often find him sleeping this way...haha.

This is Chris. Smile He's my little bandito and actually will chase me down the hallway.

At the vet's clinic. My boyfriend on the left is holding squirmy Rambo, who can never stay still. But little darling Chris is being all cute and perky-eared on the right. Wink

Hammocks are a staple in a ferret's cage!

This is what they do for the majority of the day. What a life. Razz

They're a bundle of fun to have, but are also a lot of work at times. They do sleep for between twelve to eighteen hours a day, but they must be let out for at least two hours a day if not more. They (and this goes for every other pet out there, actually) are not something you should just buy on a whim--they are a long term commitment like every other pet. Since they don't live extremely long they usually ultimately end up with one of three major health issues in their later years, which can end up costing a good chunk of money (up to thousands of dollars). What can also cost you a ton of money is their curiousity--it's not uncommon at all for a sneaky ferret to get into something they shouldn't and end up requiring emergency surgery to fix a stomach blockage. They're basically permanent toddlers... /snicker

If you guys have any questions too, feel free!

And are there any other ferret lovers/owners out there?
CMA
Nice little critters you got there. Smile
I'd love to have a ferret myself, but for some reason I can't understand the Portuguese law doesn't allow people to have ferrets as pets...
hiquality
WOW!! Those little guys are soooo cute Very Happy. I want to have some of them in my garden too( and in the house of course Very Happy )
One thing still scares me tough... those HUGE and SHARP claws Shocked Shocked Shocked
Aren't they dangerous???
Bigeezii
Ahhh! you got alot of them, what made you decide to get ferrets instead of something like a cat ect.?
Sharpe
A friend of mine has two too. They are so much fun to play with. 8) Running around and crawling into stuff.
jwellsy
Do they have dots tatoo'd in their ears?

The largest ferret breeder in the US, tatoo's them in their ears.
One dot for a female, and two dots for males.
jharsika
I've always wanted to get ferrets, because they are so cute and people don't usually have them.

How do they get along with other animals?(fish, cats, dogs, rodents, birds....)
Daisie
They are just so cuuuute!
I would love to have some but hubby is dead against it Sad so I got 2 guinea pig insted...

There is a mom at the school who every afternoon bring her ferret on a lead to pick up her kid. He is a big attraction at the gate (the ferret not the kid), everyone want to pet him and he just lay there enjoying the fuss.

Good luck with them Smile
patasarriba
I've always loved ferrets, but I always rent in buildings that don't allow pets. javascript:emoticon('Sad')
Sad How much does it actually cost to keep them? Do they have to get vaccinations like dogs and cats?
TheHigherClass
ferrets are the collest animals on earth i use to have one but my mom left the door open and he ran away:(. hut yes just need to change bedding and stuff like every week clean there crib and thay dont smell to bad.
ThornsOfSorrow
Those ferrets are adorable. Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention at the pet store, but I didn't think that ferrets had facial markings like that. They look kind of like stretched out raccoons to me. Laughing

Anyway, it's good to hear that you did your research, as I know so many people who buy pets and then neglect them because they weren't aware of how much work it is to take care of an animal. I always feel bad when I see a hyper pet (such as a ferret or a chinchilla) stuck in a cage all day just because the owner doesn't feel like supervising some sort of play-time. So, good for you for not being one of those people! Your new pets must be very happy.
brucedes
How did I miss this?

Can I post a picture of mine?

They truly are wonderful animals, aren't they?
Sipe
They look cute, and funny Razz
m00tmuffin
hiquality wrote:
WOW!! Those little guys are soooo cute Very Happy. I want to have some of them in my garden too( and in the house of course Very Happy )
One thing still scares me tough... those HUGE and SHARP claws Shocked Shocked Shocked
Aren't they dangerous???

The reason they look so sharp at first is because that pic of them laying down in the box is when I'd just adopted them right from the animal shelter. They hadn't had their nails clipped. :[

They're not dangerous at all. They're actually really, really playful, and a riot beyond explanation. :X
m00tmuffin
Bigeezii wrote:
Ahhh! you got alot of them, what made you decide to get ferrets instead of something like a cat ect.?

I've lived on a farm all my life and have been around animals as a result of that. I've had horses, dogs, snakes, cats, fish, hamsters, mice, et cetera. My boyfriend and I have a cat in our apartment and for some reason I kept going back to the thought of owning a ferret. I played with some ferrets at my friend's work (she works at a vet) and I really just fell in love with their personable nature and their spunk. They're just so much fun. :E
m00tmuffin
jwellsy wrote:
Do they have dots tatoo'd in their ears?

The largest ferret breeder in the US, tatoo's them in their ears.
One dot for a female, and two dots for males.

Yeah, they are ferrets bred from Marshall Farms and they do have the dots. I think it's actually two dots for all of them, meaning that they've been spayed/neutered and also descented (have had their anal glands removed or whatever). It's easier to tell their gender, hehe. Maybe it's different for other ferret places to do it though, but they're blue like Marshall ones. I didn't want to buy a ferret from the store because I don't want to help contribute to the ferret mills or anything like that, and these guys were adopted from the animal shelter. I went in and saw these guys and just fell in love with them. :3
m00tmuffin
jharsika wrote:
I've always wanted to get ferrets, because they are so cute and people don't usually have them.

How do they get along with other animals?(fish, cats, dogs, rodents, birds....)

Ferrets and cats seem to get along best. Mine love my cat but I'd still watch their play and supervise it. Dogs...I would never trust my ferrets around a dog, because most dogs would think of them to be a fine treat or at least a threat. Birds, same reason but as a treat for the ferret. :p Leaving them around fish would just be a bad idea for the possibility of them getting into the aquarium and drowning or something.
m00tmuffin
patasarriba wrote:
I've always loved ferrets, but I always rent in buildings that don't allow pets. javascript:emoticon('Sad')
Sad How much does it actually cost to keep them? Do they have to get vaccinations like dogs and cats?

Aww, that sucks. They aren't super expensive...food and all, really. But you really have to have a good safety padding for the possibility (the very high one!) that they will eat something that they shouldn't and in that case might need emergency surgery. This can cost a couple hundred dollars or more, and so it's good to just have your finances ready for something like that.

They also don't live extremely long...maybe six to nine years at the most, and the older they get the more prone to disease and such, and you have to be prepared for that too. They do get vaccinations like cats and dogs--usually just rabies and canine distemper (which is fatal in ferrets...only canine though, not feline).
m00tmuffin
brucedes wrote:
How did I miss this?

Can I post a picture of mine?

They truly are wonderful animals, aren't they?

Dawwww, she/he's adorable. :3 They really are. Glad to know I'm not the only owner out there!
Tatsumaru
Wow, ferrets are probably the coolest pets ever. Yours are very cute : )