FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

jsalie
I've read all of Douglas Adams books and I really enjoyed them. He does have a really strange sense of humor which keeps you guessing as to what new weird device and phenonmenon he will try and explain/explore. I recently watched the movie, and I was a bit disappointed that they could not bring across some more of the jokes that were experienced in the book, but I guess that there is only so much you can do with a movie, so reading is still best to fully enjoy this journey. I must admit that one thing that almost matches the character of the book, in the movie, is Marvin. The movie portrays him just as you would mentally whilst reading the book. Good one!
karepanman
His Hitchhiker's books are all brilliant, although the last one, So Long and Thanks for All the Fish, is a lot less bitingly funny than the first three, and rather "mushy" instead. I didn't like his Dirk Gently novels as much either.

jsalie wrote:
I've read all of Douglas Adams books and I really enjoyed them. He does have a really strange sense of humor which keeps you guessing as to what new weird device and phenonmenon he will try and explain/explore. I recently watched the movie, and I was a bit disappointed that they could not bring across some more of the jokes that were experienced in the book, but I guess that there is only so much you can do with a movie, so reading is still best to fully enjoy this journey. I must admit that one thing that almost matches the character of the book, in the movie, is Marvin. The movie portrays him just as you would mentally whilst reading the book. Good one!
davmcmul
I liked the books, I liked all five books in the hitchhiker trilogy. I listen to the radio series every now and then, i haven't seen the film but i doubt it will compare to the radio series, thats the way it was originally, before the books. Absolutely hilarious, one thing they do very well:

"It's times like this i really wish i had listened to what my mother told me!"

"why? What did she tell you?"

"I don't know, I wasn't listening!"
johanfh
I read them in Dutch and partially in English. But they are brilliant (especially part 1 till 3). Also brilliantly translated: Ford becomes Amro Bank, a big Dutch financial bank. At home we all read them and we used to cite passages from the book when we were dining.

Has anyone played the game based on the novell? It's nice. It's just textbased, so your imagination can stay at work when helping Arthur Dent through the game. You can download it for example on www.abandonia.com, but you need a Z-emulator to run it. I also once found an online-version, but don't ask where.

I like the flying lessons in the book. I'm still trying, but sometimes it works to forget hitting the ground for a couple of seconds Very Happy

What's your favourite scene?

JohanFH
rip8fan1
You might want to check out the new book:

"The Salmon of Doubt: Hitchhiking the Galaxy One Last Time " by Douglas Adams.

Yes, it was created just to get a few more $$ out of us, and is not a real story, but if you really, really, really, really enjoy "Hitchhiker's ...." then you just might like this book.
brainster
I'm Dutch, and I read the books in English.

I've seen the movie before reading the book (shame on me Wink )
Does one of you have seen the movie?
Ioana
brainster wrote:
I'm Dutch, and I read the books in English.

I've seen the movie before reading the book (shame on me Wink )
Does one of you have seen the movie?

I've seen more then half of the movie, then I gave up to hope it might get better and left. Shitfilm! No style. Crying or Very sad
But the books are grate.
kuad
I've read the Hitchhiker's series a while ago and also most of Adams' other books. I think that in the series the books got progressively less funny, but that's just my opinion.

I haven't seen the movie yet but plan to do so sometime soon.
dragonflame
kuad wrote:
I've read the Hitchhiker's series a while ago and also most of Adams' other books. I think that in the series the books got progressively less funny, but that's just my opinion.

I haven't seen the movie yet but plan to do so sometime soon.

I agree with you. The first one was a page turner, then became hard to finish the trilogy. As most reviews said, they turned the movie into too much of a love story. I love the way they showed the planet making though. Beeblebox tried too much to be 'whacky' I think. Plus I didnt imagine the dual head to be that way, more like side by side.

The original hitchhikers movie was so boring I couldnt finish it. All in all, a very original story for his time and several years after.
Lilystock
Those are my all time favorite books ! I like them so much that I have read them in english AND in french... The translator in french was pretty good also, and that count, because this kind of book (full of jokes) are really difficult to translate.

But I still didn't see the movie. I afraid that I can only be disapointed... Rolling Eyes
davmcmul
just to point this out, the movie is not meant to be the same as the books, it's meant to be different, douglas adams wrote that script, he wanted it that way. It's not what some producer thought the book should be like.
meretyping
i didn't like the movie either. esp. bc it was made by disney, it is not funny the way the books are, bc there is not the same sort of douglas-ish humor. also they made it pg and so took out a lot of the best jokes. i would like to hear the radio play(s) if i can find them as well, so has anyone else heard or read the radio plays and would know where to get them(or warn me that they are horrible and my ears will burn if i listen to them haha)?

also, i heard that douglas died before he could finish the script, so where does that leave an objective opinoin of the movie?
rip8fan1
If anybody is interested, please note that Douglas Adams did a Computer adventure Game a few years ago titled, 'Starship Titantic'. The Douglas Adams humor is apparent in this game.

Please Note that if you play the game now, the graphics, etc. are a few years old, and it SHOWS!!
mike1reynolds
rip8fan1 wrote:
If anybody is interested, please note that Douglas Adams did a Computer adventure Game a few years ago titled, 'Starship Titantic'. The Douglas Adams humor is apparent in this game.

Please Note that if you play the game now, the graphics, etc. are a few years old, and it SHOWS!!

There was also a game written for the first generation Mac that was designed with Adams' help. It was increadbily hard, for example, you had to feed a sandwhich to the dog or much later in the game, when the tiny alien fleet came out of hyperspace they would get eaten by the dog, as in the book. No graphics at all of course.

At least two people wrote that the books got progressively less funny. It really is a progression, each book is less humorous than the one before. The last one isn'y funny at all, it is just grim. Every one dies in the end, Arthur Dent, Trillion, Ford Prefect, everyone! I finished that book wishing I had never picked it up. Just don't even touch the 5th book, it is jaded, cynical and aweful.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the TV mini-series? It played on PBS here, but was origionally a BBC series. I think that it was in 12 or 13 parts. The narrator was the same person who narrated the radio version.

One thing that I found particularly disappointing was that he never addressed the point brought up in the first book of the Earth being destroyed because the program that the Earth was designed to run had almost fully executed. The program was designed to find out what the question is that 42 is the answer to. He refers to a girl having the realization just moments before the destruction of the Earth. She had rushed to the phone to call a friend and tell her about it just as the Earth is destroyed. Even though he brings the Earth back in other books, he never revisists that point. He was all slapstick humor, he really didn't have a profound bone in his body, and that seem to turn him into a progressive more jaded, cynical, dark and brooding person over the course of his life.
nakamaru
I loved this book so much that I even bought a T-shirt about it.
Olivia Wood
For me, the Hitchhiker's series started getting a bit tedious once he gave up even trying to justify the wackiness. I mean, the falling down and flying thing I could almost forgive, 'cause it was funny, even if he did drag it out a bit too far. But then you have the whole bit with the rain god. Where's the pseudo-science in that?

Coincidentally, that's about the point it started getting a bit sappy, I think, so I guess we're all pretty much in agreement.

Smile
Jayfarer
kuad wrote:

A sad truth. The first book is a 10/10 in humor, the second a 9, then the rest take a sharp fall into 6s and 7s.
zoombinimatt
yeah the first 2 are the best, but i think the rest are still worth reading... if you have nothing else to read. they are really, really funny Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Svalliam
I´ve read it but i never understood the books "greatness".
mcduck2002
I read his books, but i like "the Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul". I actually think its better than the "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy".

jsalie wrote:
Penna_ha
Too bad the movie wasn't as good as i hoped for. [Sorry for the bad english? : D]

Anyway, everyone who has read the books and liked them should get the BBC TV-show on DVD. It's the best!
intruder_indeed
I am a big fan of The Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy, and have only read the first book, to which I enjoyed vey much. The BBC radio 4 series is purely fantastic I have them all on CD, and I listened to everyone of them on the radio when they were first broadcasted. The film I have seen, which was totally garbage and not as good as the TV series, which was also one big let down. God rest Douglas Adams and may he R.I.P.
whitehole
I loved that movie and parts of the book I've read. I really wish more cinema was as intelligent and enjoyable as this. It's so rare that a scifi story avoids so much cliche.
Nutteloos
That reminds me - a lot of my friends keep telling me to read at least one of these books but I never really get to it. What would you recommend - just start with part #1?
intruder_indeed
Definately start from the beggining with The Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy. This will get you into the characters and the story line of what life and the universe is all about. But keep your head screwed on man, cause this is one large drink.
Bryan_Bezzle
Well I've seen the movie but didnt even know there were books on it. I actually enjoyed the hell out of the movie its right up my alley. Can anyone post the names of the books? I would like to check them out.
intruder_indeed
The books are as Follows in order of publishing.

The Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy. Released in 1979.

The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe. Released in 1980.

Lif The Universe And Everything. Released in 1982.

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish. Released in 1984.

Mostly Harmless. Released in 1992.

Amazon.co.uk Are selling a leather bound edition of the complete 5 novels in 1 book. For £9.05. Which normaly retails at £19.99. Check it out for yourself here... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Hitchhikers-Guide-Complete-Literary/dp/0517226952/ref=pd_bbs_4?ie=UTF8&s=gateway&qid=1202605076&sr=8-4
Bryan_Bezzle
Well I went and bought the leather-bound edition.... Haven't put it down yet.
intruder_indeed
A very wise choice. JUst hope you don not need a babel fish to translate it. Smile
Nutteloos
I'm in doubt as to whether or not to read the original English version... I'm afraid I'll just read past (or just don't get) half of the jokes if I do, but I'm also afraid half of the jokes will be lost in the Dutch translation.

Decisions, decisions... Confused
haydxn
I love the books, my absolute favourite book series.

I liked the movie. I don't see what all the moaning is about, it's a very enjoyable movie, surely noone was expecting it to be copied exactly from the book? That is one of the things I hated most about the BBC TV series; the jokes and whatnot are exactly the same as the book, and their delivery is as plain as the letters on the page. At least when you're reading it you experience it with your imagination; the TV series is just crusty and unenjoyable (to me, in my opinion, etc..., and I saw it 'back then' too).

The biggest shame is how much everyone pans the film. It's not amazing or anything, but it's enjoyable, and it's sad that they're unlikely to fund any more of them. Despite some of the negative comments on this thread, I really believe that Mostly Harmless would make a fantastic film.
slashnburn99
BBC TV made a series of the main book/s in 1980s/90s

The film was even stranger than them - Series were good though

Martin Freeman - actor?
Radar
I find that I enjoy the movie the most if I forget that it's supposed to be based on the books.

I found someone the other day that loved the movie, but hadn't read the books...it was weird. I didn't really want to direct that they read the books if that was where they were coming from - because the books are awesome, but if they expected more of what was in the movie, I thought that they might be unpleasantly surprised.
Omega-hotelomega
it was the casting i disliked . most of the suporting cast were Americans i'd never heard of .. Bill Nighy and Martin freeman were good though.
blk3
Never get to read this book. Only watched the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy movie. And from the tone of that movie I assume all the rest of the series of books are comedies.
j00gotpwnd
I have only read the first two books in this series, but I can't wait to sit down and read the entirety of my leather bound edition. The first book was so funny I couldn't stop laughing when I was reading it. Has anyone seen the movies? I thought they were both pretty humorous, but just not quite the same as the book Very Happy .

Edit: Oops I posted about the movie, when there were a bunch of people already talking about it. Has anyone tried playing the text based adventure game? I did. I failed at it. I definitely prefer the book over the game!
supernova1987a

Cool Okay now, it is not 42.
David_Pardy
Blk3 -

The books are satirical, very funny, but also VERY well thought out and written. There's plenty of space adventure, time travel and a lot of action and wit to please most people!

Honestly, if you're in any way into reading books you really should give the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy a go!
ato784
I have not yet read the books, but I did buy them! and I am going to read them. they are next on my list, right after Les Miserables (English translation) and I am looking forward to some good comedy. I did watch the movie, and I was going to read the book after seeing it, but after the many bad book conversions I decided no to do so. Instead I have waited long enough that the movie is just a blur and I can now read the book. It may take me a while to get to the book since Les Miserables is so very very long.
Radar
Omega-hotelomega wrote:
it was the casting i disliked . most of the suporting cast were Americans i'd never heard of .. Bill Nighy and Martin freeman were good though.

Bill Nighy was wonderful, and delivered some lines in very good style.

I feel as if Alan Rickman particularly likes playing depressed characters... Ah well, he's good at it.
ato784
I just finished reading the hitchhiker series and WOW it was so funny. I thoroughly enjoyed it, I am hooked on his books and wish that he had done more of them. His death came too soon. Although, the ending to the series did kinda work as an end. Even if I think that he would have continued it.
Radar
Well, actually, it has since been continued. Not by Douglas Adams, but I think it may have been working off some of his old notes.

Haven't taken the time to read the sixth book. I think that in itself tells you the opinion I have of it, given that I think all five are incredible. I have hope that it could be good, but I don't quite think Douglas Adams good.
Bikerman
The sixth book (authorised by the Adams estate - which means his widow and publisher) is 'And Another Thing' by Eoin Colfer.
As a huge Adams fan I was a bit reticent about reading this (bought for me last Christmas by my wife) but I needn't have worried. It is more of an impersonation than an homage and this is all to the good. Colfer has a good 'ear' and manages to pull off a pretty good Adams impersonation, with the usual quirky passages and left-field humour. I would recommend it to any HHG fan without reservation.
Bikerman
For real diehard fans, the best version is the original BBC Radio series which is soon to appear on my website in installments.
The history of the HHG is different to most in that it was first a radio series, then a TV series and a book at around the same time (1979-80), then finally a film.

I was lucky enough to stumble across the original radio 4 series as a student back in 1978 - and I listened to every episode (6) religiously after that.

EDIT - further to this, the entire original series is now on my site (audio).
http://bikerman.co.uk/en/entertainment/music/hitchhikers-guide-to-the-galaxy/primary-phase
portoskt
much more fun in book, but movie is cool too... cause of my favourite actor, rockwell
baboosaa
When you read a book you not only read the lines of the book and start to make sense. You start to imagine what a writer is saying. The detail description of the environment, a humble face of the character, the furious face of villain...
When you see that in a movie that's going to be a presentation not something that is showing us how to imagine what's there.

For a book every reader has it's own hero, villain, other characters, and even environment. The whole story may be same but the player and all other things are not too mandatory to be same.
e.g: A boat is in the sea and it is held tight by an anchor that needs a pulley and three people to lift it.

Does that say a boat in wood-brown colour? What's the anchor look like?

No. So it's cool to read books than to watch films
Fooky
jsalie wrote:

The 'Guide was my least favorite and I really didn't like TV/Movie version. It's hard to translate non-sequitur/absurdist work into visuals, even with good special effects.

I'm an absurdist writer. My artist friend, a fan, designed a new site for me. There are many surrealist works that look good as covers. But to actually illustrate my work, we discovered, would be very difficult. The closest we could think of would be a cartoon (like Bobobo Bobo Bobo or The Mighty Boosh).

PS I met Mr. Adams when he was promoting his computer game "Titanic" if I recall. We had to cut the interview short (I forget why).
Insanity
I agree. The first book was hilarious and really drew me into the series. However, the sequels and following books were not that great in my opinion. They didn't have the hilarity that the first book did. Also, the movie was terrible. Yes, Zoey Deschanel was in it and she was great, but the movie lacked the funninest of the book.
boinsterman
Douglas Adams started a farm/intentional community in Oregon, I think Eugene. He was said to be a inspirational leader in that respect, but very strict-- very much "my way or the highway".

I saw the movie and read only one of the books. I don't usually go for that kind of random plot, though the lesson of sometimes having to bow to absurdity is valuable. Also, once you get used to the style, there are no real surprises and it ends up seeming kind of humdrum. I believe this would account for subsequent books seeming less funny than the first ones.

The Lord of the Rings, on the other hand, also did not seem to have any "message for the reader" or "moral of the story as some might call it, but did have a consistent and understandable plot. I believe this is one the reasons for its popularity by comparison.