FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

question about the TOS

dmystic
i have a question, in the TOS are these things:

Quote:
Copyrighted material without the permission of the owner. (content, images, music, software, ...)

Hosting, linking and content related to warez, mp3's and all other illegal files.

MP3 and other music files are forbidden on our servers. Some exceptions might be made for self-made music hosted in one directory together with a legal.txt file explaining that the music files are completely legal. A written permission from an administrator is necessary prior to uploading the files. Remixes aren't considered as self-made music. Permission should be asked in the Request an Account Change forum.

i got some questions about it, what is illegal about MP3's? its used many times for illegal purposes, but the file format isnt.... and is it not allowed to link to a page or make a page about the file format MP3? and the fist one says music only if its copyrighted, and the last one says only selfmade music, so isnt it allowed to put an musicfile of a friend on it?
Bockman
dmystic wrote:

i got some questions about it, what is illegal about MP3's? its used many times for illegal purposes, but the file format isnt....

You just answered your question. Of course the MP3 format is not illegal, but most of the files created in that format are. Since we can not ask every user for every file he is hosting (just so you have an idea, there are thousands of hosted users) we decided to forbid music hosting on our servers. You CAN however host music files IF you ask us permission (and IF it is granted by us) and follow our guidelines (which we hand out when we allow you to host the files)

dmystic wrote:

.... and is it not allowed to link to a page or make a page about the file format MP3?

about the file FORMAT MP3, there are no restrictions. as long as you don't link or host mp3 files. There are no restrictions about talking about the format itself.

dmystic wrote:

so isnt it allowed to put an musicfile of a friend on it?

IF you are granted permission to host music files and IF you have been granted permission byt the copyright holder, yes you can host it.

Be Well Cool