FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Opera Fans?

Studio Madcrow
So yeah, does anybody else here like Opera? I recently made the switch from Firefox and I can't see I'm disappointed... It's smaller, faster, more featureful. I'm totally in love...
{name here}
Studio Madcrow wrote:
So yeah, does anybody else here like Opera? I recently made the switch from Firefox and I can't see I'm disappointed... It's smaller, faster, more featureful. I'm totally in love...

I use opera most of the time. It's a good browser. The only features that I want from Mozilla browsers are NoScript and CSS 3 support other than that I'd be good using Opera.
driftingfe3s
I switched to Opera a few months ago and it's my default browser now. Its speed is amazing compared to other internet browsers. I still use Firefox and IE sometimes when occasional pages show up funky on Opera.

I'm looking forward to 9.5!
kansloos
I started to use Opera instead of Firefox with comes with my linux distro standard. Now I'm not much of a gui user, but when I use it should be fast and opera is definately fast! Also I heard it was the most secure browser.
sybje
I use Opera for a few months now.

Most of the time i am using this browser. Only when using Sharepoint or OWA, I am using IE. Those Microsoft sites are much better shown in their own browser.

I like the Speeddial option.
Studio Madcrow
Good to know I'm not alone in my choice. Frankly I'm surprised that Opera hasn't caught on more, though... It's clearly the superior browser (it manages to have a massive feature count without any bloat) and frankly I doubt that 99% of Firefox users care about open source/free (as in freedom) software, just hight quality and free (as in beer) software.
Arnie
Apparently 9.5 has improvements in the GUI that will make it even faster, especially in Linux.
imagefree
yes i love opera. In pasti used IE but accidently i got Opera's setup. At that time i used it just to get rid of IE and i was actually thinking to Install Mozila or Netscape (I knew only these two browsers at that time), but after using Opera, for months, i didnt install any other browser. And after some months when i installed FF, i used it for just a month (for web designing) and then i uninstalled it too and disabled IE and using Just Opera.

Great Software
bri4n5
Opera seems a pretty good browser to me, but i'm so addicted to firefox exensions!! Twisted Evil
©Wolfie
Studio Madcrow wrote:

I understand that, but I found some html 4 bugs in Opera versions. The

Code:
<a href="#destination_in_the_page">Go to a destination in the page.</a>

To get to a destination in a page, I tested my design in Opera and it wouldn't work in Opera versions under version 9... It works normally how it should work in Opera 9+.

However, Opera is a good fast browser.
Indyan
I am also a big Opera fan :
Cant wait for kestrel and peregrine.
mehulved
bri4n5 wrote:
Opera seems a pretty good browser to me, but i'm so addicted to firefox exensions!! Twisted Evil

Opera has widgets and userjs that are quite useful but IMHO not really comparable to FF extensions. But then again I don't think opera widgets are that prone to memory leaks and vulnerabilities as FF extensions as former aren't so powerful as the latter.

Indyan wrote:
I am also a big Opera fan :
Cant wait for kestrel and peregrine.

Is there anywhere on the internet where the word opera is mentioned but you haven't made your presence felt there? Wink
biljap
I was using Opera for a long time and I thought it was the best browser. Than one of my friends told me about his experience with Firefox, I tried it and since then I can’t switch to Opera or any other browser. I still like it, it is my default browser but I use it only offline, for pages saved on my computer. One of the reasons I like Firefox is that bar for bookmarks… Few days ago I downloaded the newest version of Opera and I was happy to see Speed dial page but I’m still not sure…
Arnie
Opera has a bookmark bar all the same, you just have to enable it.
darvit
I love Opera. I made the switch a couple of months ago and I absolutely love it. Razz

My favorite feature would be Speed-dial and the mouse gestures [although the gestures are almost non-existent in Macs because of the single mouse button Laughing]. I also love how it's so lightweight and fast. Smile

I can't wait for Kestrel either. I'm looking forward to the new Mac interface. I'm sure that it's going to be better than ever! Very Happy
xbcd
Studio Madcrow wrote:
absolutely love it. Mouse gestures out of the box and much faster than ff2. Also it is the only browser to pass all web standards tests.
pathtotake
yeah opera is OK. but id say firefox is definately the superior browser.

when i first downloaded it, i thought just like you are now, but i dont like that it doent have the autocomplete form thing, like when u type something into google, it doent save what u searched for which is a basic feature that opera doesnt have.

firefox has extensions that can make firefox whatever you want it to be. it can do what opera can do and more.
driftingfe3s
A early alpha is out for 9.5. If anyone wants to try it out: http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2007/09/04/go-and-get-opera-9-5-alpha-3

Because it still is an alpha its buggy. I haven't had any real big issues with it yet, only some minor annoying bugs. But so far it noticeably faster that 9.23.
Sparky07
I used opera before firefox but found that off putting when it wouldn't run some features that internet explorer did, so I change to firefox and have never looked bad. Firefox sames to be the most dominant of internet browsers but i can't see why, there are only some small things that make a difference between firefox and opera
[FuN]goku
I've used opera, it was mostly for testing my site, and making it browser compatible for each and whatnot. I dont really care for it too awful much but, im gonna stick with firefox Smile i find its fast, customizeable , and has some really useful addons, for testing your site security.
Indyan
Opera is definitely much more functional while being faster and slimmer than firefox. Whatever it is its definitely not aweful. You may prefer Fx (that I can accept), but calling Opera aweful without any justification is silly.
newso
Studio Madcrow wrote:

yeah i have used opera for the last 12 months now. I dont can any spyware, its does increase my broadband speed when browsing the internet. Good choice of skins to make it look great. Also has some cool features such as SpeedDial and that.

Speed Dial is like your homepage, with 9 windows of which you add your favorite websites to. Then when you open your website all your most popular websites are avalible with just a click.

I really reccomend that people use opera, such a cool browser. Its free you have nothing to loose.
Kamo
I'm using Opera since i got internet.
I never liked IE and firefox always got 100% of my cpu time without reason.

I like the fact that i can use opera as e-mail client while browsing. Will see what future will bring.
vaoger
Studio Madcrow wrote:

here .. here.. me .. me .me..
i am a opera fans!! ULTIMATE fans..
but i dont switch it from fire fox.. i being using it since 2002 or 2003!!
it is wonderfull.. but sometime causing system crash ( my bad).
overall... fantastic software.. it look techky too!!
ThePolemistis
Ive used opera for years now.
People brag about FF too much, but FF is nothing compared to Opera.

Opera had multi-tabs since version 3, many many many years before FF had it.
isledepoba
The only reason I have Opera is to test my development...
djclue917
Studio Madcrow wrote:

I agree. It's a leaner, meaner, killer app that Firefox. Firefox became more and more bloated and buggy after the 1.5 release. I mean, it just crashes for no apparent reason (and I'm using Linux). Opera under Linux rocks. My only gripe is that it sucks when it comes to plugins (not widgets, ok?) especially the Flash plugin. Well, I can't really blame Opera (Qt) since, like it, the Flash plugin isn't open source and is generally designed for and tested in Firefox (GTK).

One other feature that I love in Opera is its "Trash Can".
DarkAkira
I used Opera for a good long while, but not so much anymore.

It is stable, secure, CSS compliant, and great.... but I honestly found its ability to load pages rather slow. On my Mac, and my XP system.

Idk.

I use lolifox as my default now. Like FF, but better.

On a side note.... Safari 3 for XP loads pages pretty damn fast. It's actually pretty good. Much better than Safari 2.
jwellsy
I use Opera 95% of the time.
kizarop
i've got opera on my symbian based mobile phone and it's very comfortable. Anyone know is there flash plugin for symbian opera?
burqe
Hello,

For most of my browsing, I use opera but there are places where opera still lags a bit like it shows some garbled text and links in Yahoo mail beta. Also, some CSS problems are times. Otherwise Opera supports W3C standards much better than any other browser.

The doenload utility and the torrent is excellent. Opera needs to do a bit of more memory optimization plus bring an environment so that developers can write components and extensions like they can do for IE and firefox.
JaBe
I have used opera for long. My friend told me that its very good and thats the way how I started to use it.
I also have tried Firefox but it was much heavyer to use and there was some bugs.

Opera is very good and secure.

JaBe
Indyan
Burqe try the new opera kestrel (v9.5). It is not only fast but uses even less memory than before!!!
Arnie
I hope the official version will be released soon.
alem
i think opera is very cool...but i think they should do some kind of extensions or add-ons in order to race with firefox.
Arnie
That would probably diminish the big advantage Opera has over Firefox: speed.
driftingfe3s
Opera 9.5 Beta 1 will be released this Thursday. I've been using the Alpha versions on and off since they first started comming out and they are a great improvement over the 9.2 series. Its faster than ever! Once beta hits, it should be good enough to become my default browser.
Studio Madcrow
burqe wrote:
Hello,

For most of my browsing, I use opera but there are places where opera still lags a bit like it shows some garbled text and links in Yahoo mail beta. Also, some CSS problems are times. Otherwise Opera supports W3C standards much better than any other browser.

The doenload utility and the torrent is excellent. Opera needs to do a bit of more memory optimization plus bring an environment so that developers can write components and extensions like they can do for IE and firefox.

Opera already HAS an excellent extension/add-on system AND it already takes up way less memory than anything else...
PseudoKnight
I've been using Opera since version 7.** and I love it.

Opera 9.5 has made some great strides in performance. (not that 9.0 wasn't fast already)
http://nontroppo.org/timer/kestrel_tests/