FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which ddr2 ram?

emem
Hi!

I am going to buy some new 2gb pc6400 kit. I'm going to use them to overclock, too!!
So I am deciding between these three:

GEIL DDR2 BLACK DRAGON, 800MHz, PC6400 - 115

CORSAIR DDR2 TWIN2X, 800MHz 2048-6400C4 - 122

OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400, 800MHZ, REAPER HPC - 125

So I'm asking you guyz if anyone of you has any experience in overclocking these or has read a review or something. You can also recommend if you know good ram in this price category (110-130). Thanks in advance!
coreymanshack
emem wrote:
Hi!

I am going to buy some new 2gb pc6400 kit. I'm going to use them to overclock, too!!

So I'm asking you guyz if anyone of you has any experience in overclocking these or has read a review or something. You can also recommend if you know good ram in this price category (110-130). Thanks in advance!

Why would you overclock ram? really no performance increase with that, you'll just start generating alot of errors.
munkey_boy
emem wrote:

Go with that.
emem
coreymanshack wrote:
emem wrote:
Hi!

Why would you overclock ram? really no performance increase with that, you'll just start generating alot of errors.

I wouldn't just overclock ram. You see, when I overclock cpu, I have to overclock RAM too, it's connected. And to overclock ram, I have to set a higher voltage! Smile simple as that.

Thank munkey boy!
access-tutor
answer is simple:CORSAIR

New generation of ddr is same, buth CORSAIR is also my first choice
liamthebof
Your all wrong. I have Geil, had samsung and Kingston, and ancient OCZ(doesnt really count).

Geil is brilliant. Timings are perfect, speed is intensiely good, 2gb is never touched because anything likely to use the space doesnt for long because all jobs are done wuicker. Excelent Ram. My previous 1gb Samsung 3200 ram took appros 17 secs to load up Photoshop CS3 to useble level. This current Geil ram does the same in 3-4 seconds. Very good. I do not have black dragon, I have 2gb (1gb stcisk) of Geil DDr2 6400 Ultra. Just readf the reviews of it on Micro-direct for your answer. Also, reviews mention about 4-4-4-12 timings being incorrect. Well, my sticks were fixed because they were 4-4-4-12 when I put them in.

Reviews (of my memory, not yours):

Quality memory at a quality price

It is fantastic ram for a fantastic price, brought it for 61. It is fast, but had to manually set Bios to 4-4-4-12 (no real problem) and is GEIL!!! all THUMBS up. Go get yourself one

Had this in my system now for 3 months and its brilliant just come on here to order more and was driven write a review.

See what I mean, get Geil. OCZ and Corsair have a reputation, but Geil is coming into the market now, ofering faster RAM for lower prices so to be seen. Geil's prices will increase when more people get to know them. Also, Corsair have there platinun DDR3 stuff. Overpriced. Wait till Geil satrt on DDR3

Thanks
bulek
I also have Geil and I'm very satisfied with it. Geil is really one of the best out there. Corsair is pretty good, too.
b4r4t
Corsair TWIN2X will be the best in my opinion. Verry nice memory. The previous version (667MHz) was awsome for this price ... it was possible to get ~960MHz with 4-4-4-12 Smile
Some time ago Geil was realy nice ... but now - it isn't so great.
OCZ have good memory banks too Smile
DecayClan
I would go with this:

But i wouldn't overloack it... (only maybe if i got an extra cooling system)