FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Linux for a new PC.

kosecc
I recently built a new system for my folks. It's a pretty cheap yet efficient system when the specs are involved. Thing is, my parents cannot decide which OS they want. My father wants Windows, my mother wants Linux. She wins, obviously. She used to use ubuntu on an lder system we owned. She liked it. Now, I have had a few problems with Ubuntu when it came to installing drivers and such, and if those problems (say, hardware failure or hardware identification problems) were to reproduce when my parents were to use the system, I may not be there to help them out. My question is this:

Which Linux distro is suitable for newbies, and is "grandma-friendly" so to speak?

I just haven't the clue, and testing out so many distros over the years, I can't decide myself. I also checked out other similar articles around the web and they weren't much help, what with people flaming on forums about older people and how they shouldn't be allowed on computers.
coreymanshack
kosecc wrote:
I recently built a new system for my folks. It's a pretty cheap yet efficient system when the specs are involved. Thing is, my parents cannot decide which OS they want. My father wants Windows, my mother wants Linux. She wins, obviously. She used to use ubuntu on an lder system we owned. She liked it. Now, I have had a few problems with Ubuntu when it came to installing drivers and such, and if those problems (say, hardware failure or hardware identification problems) were to reproduce when my parents were to use the system, I may not be there to help them out. My question is this:

Which Linux distro is suitable for newbies, and is "grandma-friendly" so to speak?

I just haven't the clue, and testing out so many distros over the years, I can't decide myself. I also checked out other similar articles around the web and they weren't much help, what with people flaming on forums about older people and how they shouldn't be allowed on computers.

The best you're going to get that is a user friendly would be ubuntu probably... I duno, you may want to look into fedora, or a nice debian based distro??
kosecc
Honestly, i never tried fedora yet. My aunt uses it though for her java work. She's using an old version though. I may get a copy from her and see how it runs. Thanks for the info.
myrevolt
You could dual boot a Windows OS and Linux. Thought Ubuntu definitely is the recommendation for "elderly-friendly". I'm not sure what your particular problem is (graphics card?), love the official ubuntu forums though. I recommend burning a copy of Knoppix (if it's a PIII or below go for version 3.7) and see if it detecs all your hardware, if it does, then you may want to do an "alternate" install for ubuntu if there are issues, well suitable drivers might not be available, reply with your specs.
billgertz
ubuntu for slower machine to answer your driver problems.

http://www.ubuntux.org/ubuntu-lite-ubuntu-power-for-slow-machines

good luck.
kosecc
Thanks all. I decided to go with an older version of Ubuntu (edgy eft). My mom can't keep herself away from it now. I think I've created a monster... I can't believe dual booting completely crossed my mind where my dad's preferences were concerned. I guess I could always do that too.
lastelement0
ubuntu is def a great choice for any new/beginning user of linux. when i went to set up my laptop with ubuntu and ran into some issues i just went to the forums asked my questions and was up and running with almost no time wasted.

it was really refreshing to use an os that wasn't windows for a change. sometimes i just get totally fed up with windows where the only thing that keeps me going back is its game support. hopefully in the years to come, linux will get some game support of its own and in turn make windows obsolete.
kosecc
lastelement0 wrote:
sometimes i just get totally fed up with windows where the only thing that keeps me going back is its game support. hopefully in the years to come, linux will get some game support of its own and in turn make windows obsolete.

Man, that's just how I feel. I always go back to Windows for the games.
{name here}
lastelement0 wrote:
ubuntu is def a great choice for any new/beginning user of linux. when i went to set up my laptop with ubuntu and ran into some issues i just went to the forums asked my questions and was up and running with almost no time wasted.

it was really refreshing to use an os that wasn't windows for a change. sometimes i just get totally fed up with windows where the only thing that keeps me going back is its game support. hopefully in the years to come, linux will get some game support of its own and in turn make windows obsolete.

You might want to not use Ubuntu and go for Slackware, as it will teach you how to actually use the system and fix any problems that might occur on it. It will also reteach you how to read a manual.
lastelement0
{name here} wrote:
lastelement0 wrote:

You might want to not use Ubuntu and go for Slackware, as it will teach you how to actually use the system and fix any problems that might occur on it. It will also reteach you how to read a manual.

well ubuntu is just as good in my opinion as the community has been more than helpful with me solving any of the issues i may come across. it def functions much better than windows just the games need some upgrading lol
MarzEz
I would definately go for ubuntu, it is one of the easiest systems to use. i find it very user-freindly (and grandpa friendly) and reccomend it for this situation. also, i would go for the dual boot, i did on my dad's mac. it works fine. Very Happy