FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Greatest Fears/Phobia





KatanaSky
I don't care who you are or what you say - everyone has something they're afraid of Wink

For me, I have an unexplainable fear of heights. Well, actually, not so much heights - just a fear of the feeling of falling. That is why I'm not a great fan of amusement rides. Nope, no rollercoasters for me. I also don't fancy the idea of bungy jumping or sky diving.

...and my greatest fear, is being alone - I'd never want to go on living if I were to find out all that I know and love won't be here with me.

What about you? What is your phobia or fears?
ftv_flung
I'm afraid of sponges, like the big ones used at, say a car wash - I just don't like the feel of them, sends shivers done my spine!!
tidruG
Well, I have a general, but not very strong fear of the dark.

Apart from that, I've been diagnosed with very mild forms of Anxiety Disorder/Claustrophobia/Height Vertigo.
I no longer have Vertigo, but I still don't particularly enjoy standing at the edge of a building.
I also no longer have much or any Claustrophobia... I can get into an elevator without problems. Of course, an over-crowded elevator can be a little uncomfortable, and caves and other really small places are definitely on my "keep-away" list.

I still have a bit of Anxiety Disorder... I get nervous when I have to speak in front of a lot of people or when I'm supposed to be doing something at which I could mess up in front of a lot of people.
erlendhg
Hymenoptera Razz
I freak out whenever a wasp comes near Shocked
toughtrio
ftv_flung wrote:
I'm afraid of sponges, like the big ones used at, say a car wash - I just don't like the feel of them, sends shivers done my spine!!

SEEMS TO BE A REALLY FUNNY PHOBIA.. I was laughing out really loud when I read it.. "SPONGES" Laughing

Well, I'm really afraid of Bats, AND old women with LOONG hairs.. They just remind me of my younger days of fear, the way I used to get scared of watching witches on TV and all..

Warm Regards,
shwetanshu
My biggest fear is the height, the exams and then the results.... i dnt think i fear anything else...
Aiz
Well, there are a lot of things that gets to me, but the top of the list would be bugs, especially spiders. (I guess it is so typically female, but I can't help it >_<) It's just the way they look....argh.

Although I'm not afraid of heights, when I was on a 9 story high building's slanted, not fenced in roof top once when I was younger, I did feel like I was about to fall off when I tried to look over the edge, and that was the last time I did something like that XD.

Another weird one is, I feel uncomfortable when I stand too close to someone taller than me. I am not that tall, just tall for an Asian female (5'9), but whenever I stand close enough to someone taller than me to warrant tilting my head up to look them in the eye, it makes me feel extremely uncomfortable. I guess I'm just used to hanging around with people my height or shorter, I can't find any other reasonable explanation. =/

Aside from that, I can't really think of anything that scares me.... although those pebbled sidewalks (like those with embedded with a lot of little stone pieces) make my skin crawl...>.>;

Ah, I'm such a weird person. *goes off to sulk*
Insanity
I have a huge fear of public speaking of pretty much any kind... I don't know if it's extreme enough to qualify as a phobia, but yeah...
tidruG
The funny thing is that even though I have a fear of public speaking, as I mentioned already, when I'm on the stage, once I start, I'm pretty good. The only problem is that in my nervousness, I end forgetting a few of the points that I wanted to mention.
ankitdatashn
Hi all,

As like everyone else I also have phobia of many things. In this world many people have phobia of heights, speed, many people have phobia of being drowned, getting shot down, others have phobia of dogs, cats, etc, and some even have phobia of crowd, etc.

But as for me I have phobia of spiders, yes I am talking about the crawling creatures spiders. In India you might witness them in any home. when I am sitting on my desk I sometimes feel that I hope there is no spider under my desk who would crawl or bite on my feel, In an unstoppable urge I shift my feets closer to myslef and sometimes even look down. I know there might not be any of them but I cannot control this fear, it almost reside in my brain.

When sleeping I fear any small spider gliding down my open mouth, urghh, so ugly it feels imagining these things!!.

Manya times while shifting my books, sports gear, luggage ext I have witnessed huge spiders which make me feel very afraid, Oh god why you made spiders!
datter
I don't know if it's a phobia exactly, but I hate train whistles... or horns... or whatever they're called... especially when they're close.
dinael
I'm afraid of falling, and failing, of spiders and snakes, of people that freak me out by their looks and actions, and of course, I'm sometimes afraid of dying - and living a little, too. Rolling Eyes

Well, to sum it up, I'm full of fears, that haunt me every now and then.

Rolling Eyes
CMA
as for me I'd say it's vaccines/syringes/etc.... The time when I used to run away from nurses is long gone, but I'm still not particularly confortable with the idea of having a needle piercing me, no matter how thin it is. I can't even see other ppl taking shots... it's unnerving. I usually take a deep breath, look away, and hope it'll be quick.

Strangely enough, this only applies to syringes/hypodermic needles. I'm perfectly fine with other kinds of needles.
Helios
My biggest fear would be the fear of dying. That's why I have tons of respect to people with serious illness.
My next big fear would be talking in front of a crowd, and the last one (I guess) is the fear of heights, but it's relevant when I'm on a really high place. I love hiking on tall mountains though, not scared of walking on the edge.
riv_
Bridges.
I'm such a dork.
White water paddling... no problem. Heights... A-OK.
But bridges scare the you-know-what out of you-know-who.
Phobias are irrational fears all right! Razz
vln004
insects freak me the heck out. Especially spiders.


and snakes too. not as much as spiders though.
raine dragon
I'm terrified of fish, to be honest. Last time I went to the aquarium, they had to lead me out crying. I tried to tell my friends this before hand, but they really didn't seem to get it. ^^;
shkumbin
raine dragon wrote:
I'm terrified of fish, to be honest. Last time I went to the aquarium, they had to lead me out crying. I tried to tell my friends this before hand, but they really didn't seem to get it. ^^;


Wow this is the first time hear someone to be afraid of fish Smile But hey nobody is perfect.
As for me I hate heights, I always used to, just the idea of beeing on a roof top freaks me out

Smile
Aless
I'm scared of dying. I know all people are in some way or another, but it really disturbs me sometimes. Best thing to do is just try and not think about it...
reddishblue
Chalk. You just wouldn't understand the fear I gain from it. It feels dusty in your hands, it screeches down chalkboards, it breaks into fine particles once broken. It leaves stains on everything. What's there not to fear about it?

Thankfully, I was born in a whiteboard dominant age, so I rarely had to use it, and whenever I do, I make one of my friends do it, most of them don't share my phobia.

Reddish
friuser
Don't think I have any real phobias which I am glad of. I think when I was a little younger I did have a real phobia of heights... I couldn't get too close to a window at a tall building without my legs feeling weak. I no longer however have this problem so guess that's not a real phobia.

Funny thing is I went up the cn tower and had no problem but my older brother had a problem walking on the see through glass down. Isn't that weird? he had no problem outside looking the landscape but when it came to the see through glass all the way down he wouldn't even come close to it. maybe it's because he has children now so he's more cautious?
Seiji
I'm not necessarily afraid of heights, but when going down a stadium from the top row makes me kind of nervous. Spiders scare me also. I remember I saw this large one in my room and had to get my mom to kill it. Couldn't sleep in my room for a couple of days.
pieman
I hate spiders, not sure if I'd go so far as to call it a phobia though. And chainsaws - the sound of them really freaks me out! I have a sister who has a phobia of clowns - so bad she can't go in McDonalds because Ronald McDonald makes her cry (she's nearly 1Cool.
tidruG
Quote:
maybe it's because he has children now so he's more cautious?
Very good point raised. Once you have people dependent on you, you tend to become more careful about things, taking less risks because other people need you. It could be called "responsibility" Razz ... it's the reason most people get married and then get a job with a steady income, forgetting their dreams and passions.

Hmm... I see that arachnophobia (fear of spiders) (even in mild forms) is one of the most common ones mentioned here. I always thought that arachnophobia was a little hyped up, but I guess I was wrong.

Talking about creepy insects, I should probably mention I do not like house lizards. I don't really fear them, but I don't like being near a wall on which one is present.
silverdown
I am afraid of seeing a ghost/spirit or whatever you want to call it. IT JUST NOT RIGHT! Shocked
ThornsOfSorrow
Like a lot of people, I'm terrified of public speaking...or speaking to anyone I don't know very well. I've never been able to form coherent sentences while standing in the front of a room with everyone staring at me. And the more I stutter and mix up words, the more nervous I get. Even when I'm reading directly off of a PowerPoint presentation, I somehow forget to breathe, and I end up being very out of breath by the time I'm finished talking.

Also, if I need to approach someone who I consider to be somewhat important, that will make me nervous as well. I have no problem calling customer service for some random product or talking to a person behind a counter at a business, but when it comes to discussing my chemistry class with the head of the department, for example, that's when I start to stutter.
eljormaz
My dear friends,

Fear.

I got a lot of experience with that. Actually, I am not free of my fears, even though I have reached certain understanding of my own ones.

A long time ago, I felt the answer: fear is one of the engines for the misunderstanding in the world. And, probably, the only thing which prevents us to do what we want... I do feel we all want to do something, something special in this life. Something in particular. Learn a specific lesson.

Reading a bit, talking, experiencing... now I feel fears can be described as part of our false personality, which as told in many different psychologic approaches, consists of "the way one behaves so that one feels the others will accept him".

Fear without doubt, at least from my own experience, is always a dish cooked and eaten within ourselves. Nothing gives it to us. We create it. And, if we become aware of it, and become conscious, then we will be able to choose what to think, what to do... instead of being dragged at lightspeed by the wild horses of our mind...
Soulfire
Yes, we all have fears, but for fear to be classified as a phobia, it must interfere with your ability to live your life normally. So the word phobia is actually widely over-used.

At any rate, I wouldn't say I have a phobia of spiders, but I get really paranoid about them. I'm not entirely sure why (as I can't think of specific incidents) but I know that I am, in general, afraid of them. Though it doesn't interfere with my ability to live life normally.
nilsmo
I'm not afraid of much (rarely have been afraid). However, "fear of the dark" (metallica song?) is the closest phobia for me.
eljormaz
Soulfire wrote:
Yes, we all have fears, but for fear to be classified as a phobia, it must interfere with your ability to live your life normally. So the word phobia is actually widely over-used.

At any rate, I wouldn't say I have a phobia of spiders, but I get really paranoid about them. I'm not entirely sure why (as I can't think of specific incidents) but I know that I am, in general, afraid of them. Though it doesn't interfere with my ability to live life normally.


well, actually I HAD a cockroach phobia... actually any insect phobia... I could not kill any because I did not dare to get so close!!!

but, now I can even take the innocent insects from home and gently throw them through the window, so that they can fight for life in another battlefield, not at my home Wink

I don't think phobias are so different to simple fears... actually my feeling about that is that it is just a degree, an extent to that, if you please. Thus, from my point of view, some meditation or any other techniques of becoming aware of oneself, will definitely lead any of us to a safer place, mind wise. That is to "control the mind instead of being controlled by it". At least, this is my experience. Still dealing with it, of course, that is a lifetime inner work.
tidruG
Quote:
"fear of the dark" (metallica song?)
Iron Maiden, actually.
I have a little bit of fear of the dark as well... this is primarily because I watched scary movies and television programmes when I shouldn't have.
Hunterseaker
I'm not afraid of many things, I just don't like wasps or any other insect that can sting, they are way to curious and aggressive. they keep follow you when you move away. really annoying. In my case I don't want to call it a phobia tho I just shock when a wasp comes to close.
kiranaghor
I am afraid of appearing for exams. I am so damn afraid that I failed and failed for four years.
Empire
Umm, I think my greatest fear is, of umm,,, actually I don't think I really have a fear, lol. I FEAR NOTHING BUT FEAR ITSELF. lol.
8ballcrazy
KatanaSky wrote:
I don't care who you are or what you say - everyone has something they're afraid of Wink

For me, I have an unexplainable fear of heights. Well, actually, not so much heights - just a fear of the feeling of falling. That is why I'm not a great fan of amusement rides. Nope, no rollercoasters for me. I also don't fancy the idea of bungy jumping or sky diving.

...and my greatest fear, is being alone - I'd never want to go on living if I were to find out all that I know and love won't be here with me.

What about you? What is your phobia or fears?


i got same as you but i want to add
clostraphobia
or how ever y spell it lol
i hate being in a verry closed tight place i freak out lol
Chelissamow
I have a weird fear of heights: I'm terrified if I have to climb up a ladder or stand on anything more than 3 feet high but I can still go on super high rides at amusement parks. I think it may just be the thought that I could fall or that I'm not 'secure'.

I also have a fear of basically every single insect / spider. I don't mind fruit flies or butterflies but I'm basically scared of everything else.
eljormaz
tidruG wrote:
Quote:
"fear of the dark" (metallica song?)
Iron Maiden, actually.
I have a little bit of fear of the dark as well... this is primarily because I watched scary movies and television programmes when I shouldn't have.


Hey that sounds really sensible!

Actually I have done as well... and just now I realised that is not for me... I just keep all of that in my mind, and it comes again unpredictably! Now I feel all these images kind of rubbish in my mind... don't really mean all of that is shit itself... just feels shitty in my mind.

Then, I am trying to steer clear of that now, and enjoy things I can really enjoy.

Oh, about the fear for darkness... I feel that is insecurity, lack of confidence... projected onto the unknown, darkness. I feel that, at least. But, if one gets relaxed, actually darkness is not that bad! Let's try!
phillyfan
I dont no if this is a phobia or fear but some times i get scared when im reel high in like a biulding or something like that and im a bit cautious of whter the thing is gana topple and we all gana die...so maybe scared of hiets but i love rollercoasters and junk like that... <_< i dun get it
meet in rio
I don't have any true phobias, but I do obsess about the fact that I'm going to die rather more than you're supposed to. I hate spiders, too, which I know is ridiculous. I've never had a bad experience with one - my skin just crawls when I'm in the same room as one. I hate falling, but I think that's just something silly to do with my biology rather than psychology. I'm not afraid of falling, I just turn to jelly at the slightest drop - I can't even stand a see-saw, really.

I also used to find pan-pipe music and Frank Sinatra really creepy as a child, but that was just plain funny.

I don't mind snakes at all, though. I mean, I would be reasonably cautious around something poisonous, but the idea of a snake doesn't bother me at all. They're rather lovely.
Tatsumaru
Hm, for some reason I've always been afraid of spiders. I can handle them now, but when I was young I would make up lies and say I'm allergic of them, so I wouldn't have to get near them and all. They just freak me out haha.

Another fear is breaking something like a knee or an ankle. I'm very much into sports, and if I ever were to break a knee or an ankle I'd be out for a looooong time. I haven't broken anything in my life before, so I don't know what to expect!

Hm, that's the most I can think of really.
304esque
phobias? plenty.

I fear heights for the same reason as you too. I fear the "fall" and the "expectant" pain that comes in the end of it.

I also fear being all alone, and hence darkness too. Because in the dark, you see nothing and you know nothing. Hmm... maybe that's more of a fear of not knowing?

And then there's the fear of flying/jumping small living things (mostly insects)
I fear them getting into my nose or my ears >_<

My mom's scared of ants gettng into her ears, but imho, as long as they cant jump/fly, they have no sudden attacks of which to use on you.


I'd be less afraid of roaches if they cant fly.

Oh. I'm scared of spiders too >_< Especially when I know they can bite/sting. And they're rather painful sometimes, if not poisonous....
LeatherRose
"there is nothing to fear, but fear it self"

however
i am afraid of creepy crawlies(mainly roaches[my god they are so gross])
and mostly hights..or a straight drop thing
tijn01
I hate cockroaches more than anything! Spiders don't really bother me, but cockroaches are awful!
biljap
I’m afraid of spiders and snakes and all the crawling creatures. I don’t like insects.

I'm afraid of looking down when I’m at some high place, I can see myself falling… I’m afraid of bridges… If I’m in a car or in a bus it’s not a problem but I’m afraid to go over the bridge on foot.

I’m afraid of going to the doctor because I don’t like needles… Which is strange because I wasn’t afraid when I was very young. And one more strange thing: I’m sometimes afraid to call strange people on the phone and talk to them… I find it much more easier to do it standing in front of those people than to talk to them on the phone…
Zombie
I'm afraid of deep water, seeing anything below the water scares me so bad.
bartdou
well I'm afraid of dissection of animals' human's body, so brutal...
when seeing such kind of scene on TV I have to close eyes
Drawingguy
I used to be afraid of breaking a bone...I always dreaded the pain, the time that you couldn't train/practice, whatever. Then it happened, and it's really not that bad. I learned that if you crosstrain, it's alright.

I am, however, scared of germs, or catching some sort of contagion or pathogen. If someone sneezes, I don't want to even walk in the same air afterwards, because I once read that the sneeze droplets can stay suspended for something like half an hour. I hate touching public anythings, like doorknobs, trashcan lids, or buttons (think elevators). I'm uncomfortable in hospital waiting rooms, because I don't know who sat there before me (if they were in a hospital, wouldn't they be sick?). I don't go crazy washing my hands all day, but I just get a little tenser around sick people.
exarkun
okay, fear or phobia... cockroach and lizards all this are quite standard to me. especially the type of cockroach that flies.

Other than that, what I scare of is the scratching sound produced when you scratch your nails across a piece of plastic, the type of screeching that would really chill my bones. And of course, I don't really like bitter stuffs as well. You will see me running away from any bitter medicine immediately.
TrueFact
my greatest fear is of failure. I know that everybody can and will fail someday at something and it is the best way to learn in life... but i'm afraid... no scared to death of failure. I don't like and like to be succeeded from my first shot.
Aimewitue
plane scared me,i'm so afraid of them Sad
Teddy1
My phobia's, I am scared of heights i do not know why i believe it is because i don't want to die and i think that if i fall i will die Shocked, I also suffer arachnophobia. I just hate the hideous things crawling around all over you tickling your body as they crawl over you and the thought of their bite just sends shivers down my spine. I know of a few species that are incredibly dangerous due to their vicious bite, and that spider is... The brown recluse. Keep an eye out for it, You don't want it to bite your toe now Wink as you will pretty much have to have it amputated Shocked
a.Bird
I'm afraid of becoming senile. It worries me to think that in the future, I may require special attention to survive because of losing the ability to do so on my own. I'm very analytical and I think a lot of about things, so much so that I can never sleep, but I enjoy it nonetheless. I'm afraid of not being an integral part of a society and having to be kept alive by others. Although I'm also an artist so I console my fear in the fantasy that I would still be able to create provocative artwork if I become too loopy to function in my old age.

Second in line would be the fear of taking care of relatives who have lost their ability to maintain a grasp on their reality. It just seems it could potentially be too agonizing and depressing for me to not only have to cope with but to take care of as well.
hlavco
I have a fear of skeletons, and skulls in particular. It doesn't even have to be human, skulls just freak me out... they have those big empty eye sockets, and they always seem to be smiling at you... it's just weird. I don't like 'em.
Guelila
Im afraid of Jellyfishes!!
This one time I went to a beach in Chile, there were jellyfishes everywhere, but since some people were swimming, I decided to go for a swil aswell.
While I was swimming though, I got stung by a jellyfish, and I got this huge red swelling on my leg.
I got so freaked out from this experience, so I don't really like to go to beaches anymore...
frozenhead
Lol. For me it's hydrophobia, so afraid of drowning in a vast sea for the reason that I can't swim.


Oh and yeah, I do have a stage fright too but I trying to overcome it now. Need to be with anybody in my current job.
rsmods
Im scared of....Hmmm Loosing my g/f lol
skygaia
Oh.. I have a fear of heights. but I think it's not serious.
_AVG_
My worst fear is that I will be possessed by a spirit someday .... Mad
Genesiz
My main fear is probably claustrophobia. Not basic things like elevators, more things like caves, and small tunnels, where you can only just move, and there might be a cave in, and you could get stuck and die. Confused Scary. Don't want to think about it. Moving on.

I suppose i also have a slight fear of speaking to large crowds. I feel as though i will mess up, and everyone will laugh at me. Sad Whenever there is any sort of public speaking to do, i always stay well clear.

Oh, and a weird one. Cotton wool buds. You know, those things you clear cuts with. Just the feel makes my skin cringe. Same with polystyrene; the feel is just....... and the sound it makes when you....... I just don't like it.

Other than that, i can't think of anything else.
silverdown
I am afraid of seeing a REAL ghost/disembodied spirit, I do no know why I just always have been. That is one main reason why I don't ghost hunt Laughing .
soulery
This sounds kinda stupid, but I'm afraid of dim lights in the dark. Like at our camp, at night, I'll be walking past our neighbors and they have an outdoor light, the kind that you stick into the ground. And when I see it I get a chill and I want to run away.
typingphenom2007
I have a great fear of spiders and snakes. I will scream at the sight of one and chills will run up my spine if I see either one of these things. I have touched a snake before but I will never go near one again. I will stomp on a spider till it is stomped to the ground so it won't get me. If I can kill it, I will go near it but otherwise, not a chance.
Donutey
Probably heights, I don't mind roller coasters/tall buildings, but I don't like rock climbing.
krazy
I have a massive fright of spiders... I'm just really scared of them
I don;t have much of a fright of heights, but I would never do another bunjie jump after the last one I did, same with roller coasters, when we go to an amusement park, I go mad, but the feeling of your stomach turning is aweful.
PatTheGreat42
I'm not afraid of heights.

I'm not afraid of bears.

Nor am I afraid of roller coasters, strangers, tigers, lions, already said bears, or anything of that sort.

I do have a fear, however.

What I am most afraid of, afraid of above all else, afraid of to the point where it occasionally nags me as I sleep is this: I am afraid someone, somewhere, somehow, will find the nail clippings I leave behind, take them, use them to find my DNA, and then clone me. This clone will be used to replace me. For what purposes, I know not. But I am afraid they will do it.

Now you know.
Related topics
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.