FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Isnt it confusing

imagefree
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1000000000000_(number)#1012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1000000000_(number)
http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutwords/billion
http://www.jimloy.com/math/billion.htm
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/billion

Too many meanings of the same number!!!!!

Isnt it confusing?

(mods please take it to the Correct section)
Aless
So? It's got a lot of meanings...some vocabulary words mean different things, too!
woundedhealer
Being British, 1 billion is a 1 million x 1 million, in the same way as 100 x 100 is a thousand and 1000 x 1000 is a million. I get confused when there's reference to American billions. The British billion is more logical.
Agent ME
woundedhealer wrote:
100 x 100 is a thousand

What? That's ten thousand for us... what do you call 10x100?
imagefree
Agent ME wrote:

hundred Very Happy

Quote:
So? It's got a lot of meanings...some vocabulary words mean different things, too!

SO??? My Question was actually which of the meaning to use.

The dictionary words having different meanings when used in a sentense give a definite meaning but here all the alternative meanings can be used in the same problem.
woundedhealer
Agent ME wrote:
woundedhealer wrote:
100 x 100 is a thousand

I made a mistake here. 100x100 is 10 thousand. I got mixed up with my zeros - I am numerically dyslexic!
Quote:
SO??? My Question was actually which of the meaning to use.

This depends where you live. Which meaning do they use in your country?
toughtrio
Numerically dyslexic --- Laughing

@imagefree - It's too common to have so many meanings of the same thing.. Anyways, thanks for pointing it out..

Warm Regards,
Davidgr1200
Look up the word gallon as well - that's also different in the US. For some reason the US has smaller units than Britain (just like billion):
1 British gallon = 4.55 litres
1 US gallon = 3.79 litres
bgillingham
and one google is 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
(1 followed by 100 0's or 1x10^100)
achowles
woundedhealer wrote:
Being British, 1 billion is a 1 million x 1 million, in the same way as 100 x 100 is a thousand and 1000 x 1000 is a million. I get confused when there's reference to American billions. The British billion is more logical.

Erm, hate to tell you this, but you're waaay off. I'm British also and a thousand is the same as everywhere else.

Thousand = 10 x 100

A billion in terms of finance uses the US system so it's also 1000 x million. Science and maths seem to be less consistent.
datter
I try not to worry about numbers. They never add up to much.
pieman
This time I have to say the American way makes more sense - 1000 is, well, a thousand, 1000 x 1000 is a million, so 1000 x 1000 x 1000 is a billion. So what is an American trillion?!
imagefree
pieman wrote:
This time I have to say the American way makes more sense - 1000 is, well, a thousand, 1000 x 1000 is a million, so 1000 x 1000 x 1000 is a billion. So what is an American trillion?!

Yes it make more sense but the problem is i am neither American nor British, and when i have to communicate in communities, which of the notation to use.
woundedhealer
achowles wrote:
woundedhealer wrote:

Erm, hate to tell you this, but you're waaay off. I'm British also and a thousand is the same as everywhere else.

Thousand = 10 x 100

A billion in terms of finance uses the US system so it's also 1000 x million. Science and maths seem to be less consistent.

If you read my second post you would see that I aknowledged my mistake. Like I said, I'm numerically dyslexic, which makes these differences even more confusing to understand.

Quote:
1 British gallon = 4.55 litres
1 US gallon = 3.79 litres

Now I'm getting even more confused with all these numbers Confused
nilsmo
The British system I think is the worse system, like Fahrenheit is worse than Celsius. One reason is because one rarely runs into numbers with many, many digits and when one does having two extra syllables (thousand) for half of them is annoying. Or actually, it may be more logical.

American
Million has 6 zeros
Billion (bi = 2) has 9 zeros
Trillion (tri = 3) has 12 zeros
Quadrillian (quad = 4) has 16 zeros

British
Million 6
Billion (bi = 2) has 12
Trillion (tri = 3) has 18
Quadrillian (quad = 4) has 24 zeros

The reason this makes more sense is because the prefix denotes the amount of 000,000s in the notation while in the american system it does not have as much a logical meaning.

However, since we group digits in groups of 3, the American system may be better in that respect. I'm split on this.
missdixy
Oh boy...reading these replies made my head hurt a bit. Just goes to show me and numbers/math don't get along very nicely.....