FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Pc starts then stops and now smell of burning ?

WinGate
Ill try keep this as simple as possible.

I brought some thermal paste for cpu today and applied it where i should and tried to restart pc,the pc started but at windows boot screen locked up.
so i restarted again and up came the safe boot option since i hadnt shut down properly cos of lock up.
I selected the safe boot and half way through the safe boot pc stopped again for ages.
I had no choice but too restart again,this time the first load screen(hdd/disk drive info ect) came up and then just stopped again.So another restart and this time the screen was just black i could see the hdd wasnt doing nothing since the little light was not flashing.
I took pc apart again to double check fans and disconnected and reconnected everything.restart again and this time i could smell burning and when i try to turn pc off by start button on pc it would not turn off,so had to turn pc from the back.i know this aint the best thing to do but had no choice.
Now last resort took battery out and back in and restart,same problem just hangs there doing nothing with burning smell.

Left pc for about half hour turned on again and i get nothing but blank screen and again cant turn off pc using on/off button.
once again trued and blank screen button works and no burning smell but bo activity from hdd.

Another thing i did was replace paste on graphic card its an old card but thought i would replce it while i had pc open since i thought it might need it and by looking could see the heatsink on card was fine but paste was done for.

Any ideas i have tried a lot of thing but the last thing i keep getting now pc starts for few seconds get blank screen and then nothing.

Thank You !
knullbar
Without thermal grease aiding the heat sink, CPU power dissipation overheating can occur and will generate logic errors as the heat raises electrical resistance on the multi-nanometer wide circuits.

Answer: It could have got damaged, how did you apply the thermal grease? Did you use a credit card or something that conducts electrecity?
-----

Or did the computer stop answering after you changed the graphic adapter?

Knullbar;*~
WinGate
Ok problem solved.

Some friend tolded me to check again maybe from mistake i put too much paste, and because the paste is conductive and if it is making two circuits contact i am in trouble.
Also if you asked a question about that thermal paste... i thinked to take a look at cpu, and for a moment i got scared Smile

The paste i put on was super thin and i applied too much and when i put fan back on i did not totally push the points in first time i did it,so when the fan kicked in first time it splashed the paste all over the cpu and although i had took everything apart and check it was clean i did not take out the cpu and it was all around it.
I've cleaned it all and sorted it out.

Thank you For your Reply !
EanofAthenasPrime
I am building a pc so, do I need thermal paste? And why the hell is it conducitve? Confused
WinGate
You can chose to not use thermal paste if you want... but i think that everyone uses it.
Thermal paste is conductive... it transfer the "temperature"(didn't found a better word) from CPU to your CPU radiator/cooler.
Easyer to say: thermal paste helps at CPU cooling. If you have a better CPU temperature your PC will work better too. If you want you can get a "Water/Liquid Cooling System" and you'll be sure that you don't have problems with CPU temperature.
Offcourse if you decide to use thermal paste... do not use it all Smile) like others(me) do ... cause you'll have problems like i had.

PS. Sorry for my bad english. (a better explination is verry welcome)
EanofAthenasPrime
WinGate wrote:
You can chose to not use thermal paste if you want... but i think that everyone uses it.
Thermal paste is conductive... it transfer the "temperature"(didn't found a better word) from CPU to your CPU radiator/cooler.
Easyer to say: thermal paste helps at CPU cooling. If you have a better CPU temperature your PC will work better too. If you want you can get a "Water/Liquid Cooling System" and you'll be sure that you don't have problems with CPU temperature.
Offcourse if you decide to use thermal paste... do not use it all Smile) like others(me) do ... cause you'll have problems like i had.

PS. Sorry for my bad english. (a better explination is verry welcome)

Lol thanks! do I NEED a cooling system other than a fan or no...
Arnie
All processors since at least the Pentium 1 must be cooled, most of them actively (with a fan on the heatsink). Without any cooling it only takes a few seconds for them to overheat. Nowadays only special low-voltage processors, mostly from VIA, can be run without a fan, but they still need a heatsink.

Thermal paste is heat-conductive, but since most materials that conduct heat also conduct electricity, it's probably impossible to make affordable paste that doesn't conduct electricity. Applying thermal paste between the CPU core and the heatsink is very much recommended, or you may find that your CPU overheats even with cooling on it, because the heat from the CPU can't be transferred properly to the heatsink.

You only need better cooling than a fan when you're going to overclock, e.g. watercooling (permanent) or liquid nitrogen (temporary). Those are much more expensive solutions.
ssthanapati
Gud 2 kno u were able 2 sort it out urself

BTW a thick layer of paste can actually reduce the efficiency of heat transfer frm cpu 2 heatsink. And a too thin layer could result in a fried CPU (like in d case of my frnd). Its better 2 use those premeasured 1's that come in form of a small film. Like that from honeywell. In such cases the chances of error are very less
[FuN]goku
Quote:
Lol thanks! do I NEED a cooling system other than a fan or no...

Phasechange cooling is nice Smile

BTW, i've not done too awful much with disassembling pc's yet ive done a fair amount but my dad does thermal paste and crap like that, but if im correct, you dont need too much of it.