FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mists of Avalon

TurtleShell
Has anyone read this one? I've been meaning to pick it up for years, have heard such good things about it, but keep forgetting about it when it comes time to actually buy a book.
Shewolf
Buy it, borrow it, read it!
It's a beautiful book, full of thoughts and philosophy as well as a good story-line; what more can you possibly ask for?
blk3
Could you give us a short synopsis of what its all about. From the word Avalon I'm guessing its Arthurian legend is it not?
blk3
Could you give us a short synopsis of what its all about. From the word Avalon I'm guessing its Arthurian legend is it not?
blk3
blk3
GSIS
There's a series of books.

The following quotes are from Amazon(.co.uk). I have no idea if either of them are the synopsis from the book, or if they're both reader's views.

Quote:
Morgaine, gifted with the Sight and fated with her brother-lover's doom, recounts the glorious tragedy of Camelot's brief flowering - not as a tale of knightly deeds, but as a woman's rounded view of society in the crucible of change.

Quote:
This book is a re-telling of the Arthurian legend with the plot focusing on Morgaine or as she is often called Morgan Le Fay. The author portrays her as a woman who is fighting for her Celtic culture in a world that is slowly but surely turning towards Christianity. Britain is turning from the old beliefs and the druidic way of life and it seems that nothing can stop it . . .
Shewolf
Sure, that's pretty much what the plot of the book Very Happy
TurtleShell
I've always loved Arthurian Legend. The Mary Stewart Crystal Cave trilogy is very good (it's all from the POV of Merlin), and of course the Once and Future King is probably one of my favorite books of all time. It really makes me want to cry...
johanfh
This book is definitly worth reading. Maybe you know the story of king Arthur: his mother was said to be related to the original inhabitants of Brittain and his father to the Romans. So Arthur was a mixture of Rome and old-Brittain. Most stories about him focus on the Rome part, and on the male-part: the story of the knights of the round table, Merlin, the search for the holy grail, but this book focusses on the female-part of the story and on the Brittain-side of the story, for example the relation between Guinevere (Arthurs wife) and Morgaine (Arthurs sister and lover), the influence from Avalon upon Arthur, stories about the 'elves', etc. Nice about Marion Bradley is that she wrote more books like this, for example about Cassandra of Troy, about the wife of Constantin the Great and about Great Brittain before the Romans came there.

So if you have some time left: read this. Or else: watch the movie (which is good, but not as great as the book)

JohanFH
TurtleShell
Ok, so this is the next book on my list of "stuff I'm going to Read". It's in my office under my desk. I'm reading a math book right now, though, and I need to finish that first...
Shewolf
You could always read them both, at once. Of course that would leave your math-studies in a non-progressing manner for some time, but anyway Wink

I hope you will enjoy the book as much as I did!