FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

XP Pauses during login

ssthanapati
When i login into my user account and the programs start to load in tray and while mouse and keyboard drivers are loading windows pauses loading it.... but everything opens like my computer or some programs. But the internet dosent work... Then after few mins everything starts loading again and internet also works

Ne one knows how to lolve this without a fresh install of windows?
brokenadvice
Try holding alt and tapping tab. If things still don't work try and alt-f4. If that does not work, ctrl-shift-esc to open up task manager and close any unknown processes.
Hope this helps!
AftershockVibe
Do the mouse and keyboard work while you're doing this? I think this is a common complaint with XP (happens on Vista as well) with the network taking ages to load.

I've noticed that because it loads the network services as you log on at the same time it is trying to load all the other user services. I assume it's not just network services that are slowed down but they're really noticable. Now, on standard windows installs this doesn't seem to be a problem since everything loads up in a nice order and is fairly lightweight so you don't really notice.

However, when you start adding things which hook into the operating system like Anti-Virus and Firewall software you start to get problems. I assume this is something along the lines of Network drivers become dependent on the firewall service, which is dependent on a file so has to wait for the AV on-access scanner to load first.

Try disabling your firewall and AV software and see if it makes much difference. Perhaps setting their services to delayed loading would help (not sure on that one but it's worth a go).

Also try cleaning out your windows/prefetch folder which will speed up your booting time at the cost of slowing down individual applications the first time you run them afterward. After that Windows will automatically set them to prefetch again. The problem is that after so long this folder gets cluttered up with loads of crap that you never load any more.
ssthanapati
AftershockVibe wrote:
Do the mouse and keyboard work while you're doing this? I think this is a common complaint with XP (happens on Vista as well) with the network taking ages to load.

I've noticed that because it loads the network services as you log on at the same time it is trying to load all the other user services. I assume it's not just network services that are slowed down but they're really noticable. Now, on standard windows installs this doesn't seem to be a problem since everything loads up in a nice order and is fairly lightweight so you don't really notice.

However, when you start adding things which hook into the operating system like Anti-Virus and Firewall software you start to get problems. I assume this is something along the lines of Network drivers become dependent on the firewall service, which is dependent on a file so has to wait for the AV on-access scanner to load first.

Try disabling your firewall and AV software and see if it makes much difference. Perhaps setting their services to delayed loading would help (not sure on that one but it's worth a go).

Also try cleaning out your windows/prefetch folder which will speed up your booting time at the cost of slowing down individual applications the first time you run them afterward. After that Windows will automatically set them to prefetch again. The problem is that after so long this folder gets cluttered up with loads of crap that you never load any more.

Well this thing sounds a lot familier. Cuz all the network services gets frozen. Checked with ctrl+alt+del and it shows 0% CPU Usage, the HDD light doesnt even glow.. I had tried disabling all startup services and programs including antivirus and firewal but didnt show any change and the network seemed to be in its deep slumber Evil or Very Mad
ssthanapati
well after bein sicck and tired of it finally went for a reinstall... Now it wrks just fine
internetjobs
stop all startup programs by typing msconfig on the run... then disable all startup programs.