FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

pokemon cards

mrimp
Did anyone ever collect pokemon cards. Man, i loved those things! Good times....
jharsika
I still have mine! And I still (somewhat) secretly love pokemon. I am only a fan of the orginal pokemon though. I had some pretty rare cards, but a bunch got stolen so now I only have mediocre cards.

Did anyone ever actually play the game? I did when I could find an opponent.
mrimp
My brothers played with me. I had a shiny Alakazam, but my brother traded it, I haven't forgiven him yet!
Sarcas
Guilty of playing with those - sold all of them by now though

Can't recall a lot tho, except that i sucked hard in trading
melissareich
I used to... even though I never knew how to play the games or whatever. I supposedly had some good cards because my friend wanted them. Before I moved, I sold most of my stuff including those and I didn't sell them for much... probably could have gotten more, but I didn't bother.
Drawingguy
Pokemon cards were fun, I suppose.

At the time when I was into it, I was about seven or eight. It wasn't really to play the card game- I mean really, who did? It was a fun, social event, that just revolved around looking at the cool pictures that you knew and loved from the infamous gameboy games.

The card game can never really get far, I think, because of that 60 card restriction. I don't like it.
Emmer-Compascuum
I used to collect and trade them when I was about eleven years old. But I didn't play the game either. None of the people I knew knew how to play the game (they didn't even bother reading the instruction manual) and I just understood it partially.
I still have all of my Pokémon cards - save for the ones that were probably stolen by classmates - in a little paper box.
exarkun
I used to play a lot with my schoolmates in the past, until we changed to WWE trading card game. Pokemon cards in our country has a lot of "pirated" copies and you will have to be careful not to fall for it. I am already an expert for spotting out the fakes. Razz
Whong
Heh... I too have quite an ammount left with me. Used to play a lot with them. One of my friend has a whole bunch of those cards. Smile Good old days! Wink
Genesiz
Did anybody other than me buy the Pokemon Trading Card Game for Game boy.

I pwned at that game. If i had all the cards i had in that i would be undefeatable. Taught me how to play the game properly though.

But no i never actually played it with my friends and stuff. Honestly, the only reason anyone bought the cards was to say 'ive got a .........' to all their friends.

Did anyone actually collect all 15(0/1) pokemon? I think i probably had about 2/3.
sprnews4u
I've got loads, but they just get stuffed in a draw. I loved collecting them because there was so many differnet ones. My fav in Pikauchu!
annie14892
Nope..I didn't know how to play with pokemon cards.

Yugioh cards were more of what I collected. I lost them all when I brought them to school, though. Everything I ever brought to school either gets damaged or stolen.. :/
coolclay
Never, I thought, and still think they are one of the stupidest fads to come around. Now pogs, they were cool!
whatinstorm
i have some pokemon cards at home when i was child i play that with my friends at school
hiquality
At the time when i was 10 i was pretty good at playing Very Happy... i had rare cards too!
But i got older and i didn't used them anymore so i sold all of them to some kids Embarassed ... and now i miss them Sad
mrimp
Sadly I don't know where most of my cards are.

Quote:coolclay

'Now pogs, they were cool!'

Pogs were great, but I had a very little amount of them and I could only get them by eating crisps and stuff. Thanks everyone for replying and it's good to know that I used to share some of the same interests with people years ago.
H4x3D
I used to have some, but I lost interest in them...
xbcd
no i like yugio cards better cause. Evil or Very Mad yugio is sooo much cooler. Also cause i think when i sold them i made more money that when i sold my brothers pokemon cards.
Genesiz
The only thing about Yu Gi Oh cards are that there are thousands of cards, some of them completely and utterly useful. The whole idea of Pokemon cards was to 'collect them all', whereas this is just not possible with YGO cards.

YGO cards still rock though.
Bigeezii
Pokemon was good while it lasted then a bunch of new card games came out and it got boring.
Genesiz
Does anyone collect those 'new' pokemon cards. You know, the ones from 151 onwards. Seems to me like a marketing strategy to increase profits from Pokemon cards.

Didn't work though did it.
hangfromthefloor
I became interested in Pokémon when I was 6 (9 years ago). I still play the video games, because the adventure is still very amusing. I collected the trading cards until the 3rd generation, when the extra game rules became boring and the cards were just unoriginal. What I have remaining is a binder with most of my rarest cards, and the majority of my best battling deck. I haven't touched it in years.
hlavco
I still have all my old Pokemon cards. They were fun, but not many people would play with me because they didn't want to take the cards out of the binder and get them out of order... my record is 1-1. I played against my friend twice, and one of those times he got his Charizard and destroyed me.

I was reading up on the game recently, and I found out that under Regulation rules, my entire deck is illegal. Every time a new set of cards comes out, an older one is banned. Nintendo says it's so the good players are forced to switch up their decks every so often, but I'm pretty sure it's just a way to get more money. That's annoying. But the newer cards are much stronger than the older cards anyway, except for the Trainer cards. I hear they don't make Energy Removals anymore.
future_technology
I used to like Pokemon card when I was a little kid. Then Yu-Gi-Oh came along. But now I play MTG.
Sparky07
I loved everything about pokemon, I had the movies, the games and the cards, I had only 2 missing rare cards. I had over 200 cards and gave them to a kid who lived round the corner, he used to ask me everyday if I had any spare pokemon cards so in the end I gave him the lot, starting to regret it Crying or Very sad but then Yu-gi-oh came along. Still got the movies and the pokemon games now, and i play them when Im bored.
mrimp
i still get pokemon games but i'm not overly obsessed like i (kinda) used to be. I wish there could be less cartoony style pokemon games because it still feels a bit of a childish game (graphics wise).
Sarcas
mrimp wrote:
i still get pokemon games but i'm not overly obsessed like i (kinda) used to be. I wish there could be less cartoony style pokemon games because it still feels a bit of a childish game (graphics wise).

As for gameboy versions i only played red when i was younger, besides, the games that came after were identical in gameplay and they only added new area's, pokemans that begin to look more and more awfull and ripped off, and a fighting system that's still based on 1-2 shotting your opponents

Haven't really played anything else, but can't really say i'd look forward to those games anyhow
poly
Pokemon was like a disease:D .. still it was pretty well constructed and the first creatures looked pretty cool..
Idoru
Not me, but the young fellow in the family Smile
I get to buy a set of cards every once in a while, though. Laughing

He's only seven, and english isn't our native tounge, so playing it for real is not an option. He and his mates at school
kind of collects them, though. They make their own set of rules and play and trade.
The Pokemon figurines are also popular, and they try to collect families.

My own understanding is limited, but I got the 'magic-flu' over a period when I was younger, so I'm not compleatlly
lost. Cool
pampoon
Genesiz wrote:
Did anybody other than me buy the Pokemon Trading Card Game for Game boy.

I pwned at that game. If i had all the cards i had in that i would be undefeatable. Taught me how to play the game properly though...

Yeah, I had the game too. And I had it on the big old game boy that was about an inch thick. I was such a Pokemon geek back them. I collected all the cards and played the game non-stop. It was pretty bad.

But now, i think all of my cards got either lost or stolen. And if they aren't my brother has them in his famous collection of anything and everything (he plans to trade it all in one day and "get rich").

God bless Wink ,
Pampoon
Ducksteina
The good old Pokémon days.
Once upon a time there was a boy who collected those cards.
Yeah, that boy was me.
I've got maybe 400 of these cards... and i don't know what to do with them.
After Pokémon, I started to collect Yu-Gi-Oh... another waste of money.
Now, after a few years without collecting cards, I can proud of me^^
But yeah Pokémon was fun, I played even the Gameboy Games: Pokémon Red,Blue,Green and so on.
Now I play computer^^ another waste of time...or maybe not?
mrimp
Can hobbies actually be wastes of time? i think that you can enjoy the free time you have in whatever way you want. i may have been able to do better stuff with it, but i don't really think it's a waste.
checkers
I have some. My brother gave his old and "sucky" deck (as he calls them) to me. I still have them though, they're in my drawer.. I think. Wink
Anyways, I like to collect them and my brother has this toy thing that they have on the show..
it's a red toy version of that thing that tells you about different kinds of pokemon. Confused
He doesn't play with it. hehe..
JAmadeus
Pokemoncards were responsible for the waste of 2 years of my life. I was so into it, just collecting them, showing off your binders to friends, being mesmerized by the holographic super rare cards (can anyone say 1st edition 120HP Charizard?) No one I knew even played the actual game, they only collected to collect. Ridiculous of me to think that the cards would still maintain monetary value in the coming years... The most I could still get for my Charizard would be about $10, if I'm lucky enough to find someone interested...
Rico
No. I’m trying to think of something to back up my no, but no, unfortunately it’s just no. We did collect little pokemon plastic “things” that we got in crisp packets. Not so much me but my son. But he had us all collecting them; yeah I suppose those were good times. Amazing what comes to mind when you’re shooting the you-know-what.
beyblade0203
lol i coollected em not anymore though im to old

I play the gameboy games though.......
medievalman26
They are EVIL pure and simple. I sadly collected them when the came out years ago. Now they are worthless. It sucks but I really hate them I am sorry that I ever started in the first place.
mrimp
It's amazing to think about how much money and time i spent on that stuff. but i enjoyed it while it lasted
roboguyspacedude
Almost the whole world of younger kids collected these. I still have a whole bunch in a binder in my room that I plan on selling when the price starts going back up because of their rarity like baseball cards.
urbanbuddha
my brother is the 2006 Canadian Champion for pokemon cards in the masters division (15+).

And for those who are curious, the cards are still as expensive as ever, each box set still cost more than Magic, Warcraft, or the new UFS cards. Nintendo makes a lot of money of them. ~_~;
I think its kinda funny that sometimes the parents are more into the game than their children.
hlavco
urbanbuddha wrote:
my brother is the 2006 Canadian Champion for pokemon cards in the masters division (15+).

And for those who are curious, the cards are still as expensive as ever, each box set still cost more than Magic, Warcraft, or the new UFS cards. Nintendo makes a lot of money of them. ~_~;
I think its kinda funny that sometimes the parents are more into the game than their children.

I hate how the official tournaments don't allow old cards... they're all I have. Energy Removal for the win!
crystalami
I did like umm... 3 or 4 years ago. Before the ugly pokemons came out. Mad
Afaceinthematrix
I collected those about 7-8 years ago. I had the original 150 or 151 (can't remember the number) pokemon. It's been years, I still had them somewhere.
Dean_The_Great
I didn't really get into them. It was my last year of elementary school, and over the previous years I had been sucked into a couple of CCG's (Star Wars and Magic) so I wasn't about to get sucked into another. That worked just fine until I started playing Hero Clix four years later. And that was far more expensive. I shudder to think at what I spent on them.
ubcd
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I collected those about 7-8 years ago. I had the original 150 or 151 (can't remember the number) pokemon. It's been years, I still had them somewhere.

i agree, y is there even a post about pokemon??

pm me if you want to buy some Very Happy
thinkfacility
They were definitely interesting. However the problem was that upperclassmen often took advantage of younger kids who didn't know the value of the cards. There was also the problem of some people just outright stealing them from others, which caused great concern.

Personally, I'm glad they're over, even though they were fun, they really had a lot of problems involved with them.
SMS_Mcfarland
Omgggg i collected pokemon cards for years. IT was rediculous. i Still have them all in my closet aaaaaaah if only they were worth something haha their better used to make fires. I wasted so much money and time on pokemon ahhaa and its so much easier to just take them from K-mart... haha Smile
rammeh
I almost had all of the original 151 cards. Then they made like 300 something more. Sad
dfcalderon
I have someones writte me to send to you

gretings

Diego

mrimp wrote:
Did anyone ever collect pokemon cards. Man, i loved those things! Good times....