FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

DirectX vs OpenGL

Which is better DirectX Or OpenGL ?
DirectX API
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
OpenGL API
57%
 57%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 14

rayx
Which of the 2 is the best Graphics API for creating games ?
RiCtee
You can't really say which is better. Both of them have their pros and cons and it depends on what you're using them for (i.e. their applications). But I personally prefer DirectX over OpenGL, just a result of me learning DirectX first.
djclue917
rayx wrote:

I think you meant Direct3D VS OpenGL... You can't compare DirectX and OpenGL because that is not an apples-apples comparison. Direct3D is the graphics module of DirectX.

Anyway, I prefer OpenGL simply because open standards rule!
Mannix
djclue917 wrote:
rayx wrote:

I think you meant Direct3D VS OpenGL... You can't compare DirectX and OpenGL because that is not an apples-apples comparison. Direct3D is the graphics module of DirectX.

Anyway, I prefer OpenGL simply because open standards rule!

That's about it in a nutshell. DirectX is the language of choice for Windows-Only. Padded and pushed by Microsoft. ..And effective too. The nice thing about OpenGL is it's more or less platform-independent, and also pretty dawgone good. I recommend you use DirectX. ...There are may Microsoft examples available, and gratuitous backpats abound. ...If you want to get a name as a programmer, you might use OpenGL though. ....It's academic, but if you truly create a masterpiece, and it spreads through the Open Source Community, you could be a hero. Very Happy

Take care, and Good luck.
catscratches
OpenGL, why develop for Windows only when you can develop for all platforms or Linux only.
dmystic
opengl.... cuz if you design with directX, u got also directsound3d, what means u cant have surround sound in winVista....
qscomputing
OpenGL, of course. Developing for cross-platform is perhaps even more important these days than it used to be. Even if you are coding for Windows-only, an OpenGL based game is more likely to work well under Wine than a DirectX game.
rayxzero
Better to use graphics engine which utilize the use of 2 API's than making it from scratch.
Jean-Clod
qscomputing wrote:
OpenGL, of course. Developing for cross-platform is perhaps even more important these days than it used to be. Even if you are coding for Windows-only, an OpenGL based game is more likely to work well under Wine than a DirectX game.

a few weeks ago I would have said "but gaming is "restricted" to windows, most games - if not all- are made for windows! if you are a macosx user, there's bootcamp, and if you are a diehard linux fan, gaming with wine equals less perfs, so, really, gaming is kinda restricted to windows"

Now, with steam coming to macosx and linux, I hope the time will come, when games will be available in Win/OSX/Linux versions, and I completely agree with what you said

But don't get me wrong, I prefer OpenGL over Direct3D, even if with some graphic cards, it could be a little slower

actually, rayxzero got it:
rayxzero wrote:
Better to use graphics engine which utilize the use of 2 API's than making it from scratch