FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Motherboard swapping

Relentless
Hi, I am upgrading my motherboard on my pc.

I have the same HDD and ect just a new mothermord with new ram and prosser.

When I boot my pc with Windows XP Home Sp1. It blue screens with no helpful info apart from "Fist time you seen this ect ect...."

I have a disk for my motherboard but when i plug my HDD back into me old motherboard it boots but cnt install the drivers for the new motherboard. Confused

Do I need to back up my data & reinstall XP when its on my new motherboard?

Or is there a simply way.. Oh and both motherboards are running AMD chips...

Hope Somebody can help...

Smile
mystzero
Generally, it is recommended to reinstall your Windows if you are changing to a new motherboard. This is mainly because although both your old and new motherboards are build for AMD processors, they might be different in term of the chipsets. And, if the chipsets are different, they both will have different SATA/IDE controllers as well. Thus, there will be some discrepancies between the drivers installed previously for the old chipset and the new chipset. Therefore, it is no surprise that you were presented with a BSOD during bootup. Well, there is a workaround although i might not guarantee that it will work. If you are willing to give it a shot, refer here.
munkey_boy
Yeh, you have to backup ya stuff then format. Have fun. Wink
wlfgngct
Actually, you can run a repair install rather than format etc. Just boot your XP cd, when you get to the Repir, Continue, Exit screen, choose Continue. Just after it says 'Starting Windows', it will say something like 'searching for previous installations then show you the partitions on yr system. Just choose your OS partition and select repair. If done right, you won't loose anything except possibly a few user settings which are easily set back up.
Relentless
wlfgngct wrote:
Actually, you can run a repair install rather than format etc. Just boot your XP cd, when you get to the Repair, Continue, Exit screen, choose Continue. Just after it says 'Starting Windows', it will say something like 'searching for previous installations then show you the partitions on yr system. Just choose your OS partition and select repair. If done right, you won't loose anything except possibly a few user settings which are easily set back up.

Before or after the HDD is placed into my new comp.

The copy of windows i have is legit but i do not have the disk. i have disks without serial numbers i just use to repair machines with.

Now I really really do not what to loose everything on my HDD (of course I will back it up) but i don't want to make my drive inaccessible. Which i told might happen. Sad

All i want as you might have read previously is to put my HDD from one PC to another. The new motherboard for the other PC did come with an install disk. Which i tryied installing whilst on my old HDD but the install wasn't having it i was saying it could locate any of the devices it was installing.

Hope sombody can help as I made this post ages ago and stil have been to nervous to attempt the swap as i have little money atm I don't want to have to buy a new XP disk or new HDD.

Thanks
Dan....
Sunny
As wlf pointed out best way to go about is to windows repair.But since you do not have the xp cd you can try following

1)Boot the pc on safe mode, (by pressing F8 when windows is booting and selecting safe mode from menu)
2) Rmove old hardware manually from the device manager/add remove programs for eg. Display Adapter and then try to reinstall from your motherbaord cd.

To open device manager, right click on my computer click properties then click hardware button and then device manager.

Hope this helps and dont forget to take back of your files before attempting any fixes.
Relentless
ok well I done it.

The tutorial that mystzero gave me was very helpful and worked first time.

But its funny how nobody told me that my OS would need re activating. I couldn't use my computer. Only in safemode.

And I can not connect to the internet to activate it or cal the free-toll number because where it says please give this code to the microsoft representitive there is no number!

So i will have to do what i just did all over again! to put my HDD i my old PC. To get my XP serial number. the redo it oncce more time (and hope it works) and renter my serial number!

Evil or Very Mad

But cheers mystzero. wouldn't have been able to do it if you hadn't posted.
mystzero
Good thing you got it working.
Glad I can be of help. Rolling Eyes