FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Microsoft is so lame and errorful

EanofAthenasPrime
K...I thought the SP1 was XP SP1, not a C SP1,

SO my problem still remains...

How to install SP2 without crashing

Or how to install C# without SP2...
Donutey
Rather than doing a system recovery, I would just do a fresh install (wipe the harddrive and reinstall xp) then install SP2, the security and feature enhancements of SP2 and the ability to run the programs you want will offset the effort to reinstall. As support for XP SP1 is starting to wane (Microsoft is discontinuing support for this configuration within the year I believe) this would probably be your best route.
scofrezo
I have seen this with several computer systems. The best thing to do is find the root of the problem before going ahead with drastic changes.

I (or anyone for that matter) may be able to better assist by knowing the model of your computer or hardware components (motherboard, video card, cpu, ram type, other components, etc.).

Also, you may want to consider software conflicts. You may want to disable antivirus software when installing SP2. Some other spyware type programs may also cause some problems depending on their settings.

When setting up new systems, I prefer to install SP2 before anything else, even drivers. I do this just to be safe and get it out of the way. So, like Donutey said...

Quote:
just do a fresh install (wipe the harddrive and reinstall xp) then install SP2

If this is possible, it may be worth while to give your system a fresh new start. Though it may be time consuming, it can be worth while. But, don't think it will solve your SP2 problem!

Good luck.
EanofAthenasPrime
Well when I installed SP2 there was no anti-virus running in background...Also when installing it never said anything about having to UNINSTALL MY DRIVERS...

Also, if wiping my hard disk wont do anything I don't think I should...a waste of time plus I have a gazillion files I might need later...
babumuchhala
The best way to install SP2 is by giving it a fresh install.

If you can get a Windows XP SP2 bootable instead of having XP and then installing SP2.

Plus XP SP2 includes a looooooooooot of improvements and so its the way to go, and Support for SP1 ended way back 06 10-October-2006
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];lifesupsps#Windows
ssthanapati
babumuchhala wrote:
The best way to install SP2 is by giving it a fresh install.

If you can get a Windows XP SP2 bootable instead of having XP and then installing SP2.

Plus XP SP2 includes a looooooooooot of improvements and so its the way to go, and Support for SP1 ended way back 06 10-October-2006
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];lifesupsps#Windows

I completely agree with him...

install a fresh copy with XP SP2 CD. By doing this PC seems to bott much faster than having install XP and then installing SP2 Later.....

Atleast this is what me and my frnds experienced
Arnie
If your XP installation disk is SP1 (or no SP at all) slipstream SP2 into the cabs and burn the new disc. Slipstream all further updates until now into it too, if you feel like doing it once for all.

Or you could borrow somebody's XP SP2 CD and make a copy. Just make sure you get the same language and edition (Home or Pro) as you have, because otherwise your serial won't work (provided that you don't use a cracked version...)
EanofAthenasPrime
My PC never came with an OS disk...

so Im supposed to go out and buy a 70$ XP SP2 OS disk...for a crappy computer that only has PCI and 128 MB RAM slots...
Arnie
Or you could always get 2000 SP4. The OEM version only cost me 25, although you have to buy a new piece of hardware with it (anything is fine for Win2000, for XP it has to be a motherboard if I'm correct).

And if you're not willing to pay, use Linux. But it is totally lame to whine about how expensive Windows is (after you've whined about how bad it works) and then use an illegal version. If something is expensive, you just leave it! Instead of finding a way to get it without having to pay...
EanofAthenasPrime
maybe if everything was harmonious there would be no reason to complain... Rolling Eyes
KHO
Alot of malware can prevent you from using the windows updates, your best bet would be to try and obtain a disk for windows xp sp2 and see if you can do it in a clean install. Also, I believe that there is a disk on boot type of thing from microsoft that allows you to upgrade to sp2 without windows running, if you can't obtain a disk for a clean install, looking into into that might be a good idea.
Arnie
I think you're referring to slipstreaming which I mentioned above.
Bones
Donutey wrote:
As support for XP SP1 is starting to wane (Microsoft is discontinuing support for this configuration within the year I believe)

Microsoft oficially stopped supporting SP1 installs almost a year ago now.
EanofAthenasPrime
but why can't they at least still have the versions of program that works on SP1!!! Microsofy has the Titanic attitude, they think that SP2 is flawless and everyone can easily uprade to it instantly with no errors...
It is that attitude that they expect everyone to buy an operating system that takes 10x more RAM memory and proccesor power to run at the same speed as the standard windows operating system. This new operating system is called Vista.

Pretty soon Microsoft will make all of their programs compatible with only Vista...youll see...
ssthanapati
EanofAthenasPrime wrote:
but why can't they at least still have the versions of program that works on SP1!!! Microsofy has the Titanic attitude, they think that SP2 is flawless and everyone can easily uprade to it instantly with no errors...
It is that attitude that they expect everyone to buy an operating system that takes 10x more RAM memory and proccesor power to run at the same speed as the standard windows operating system. This new operating system is called Vista.

Pretty soon Microsoft will make all of their programs compatible with only Vista...youll see...

I agree with u... We dnt have ne other option do we? (AND I AM NOT SWITCHING TO LINUX!!!)
babumuchhala
EanofAthenasPrime wrote:

Do you have any idea as to how Microsoft works. They do back testing on tons of softwares. they have a special department which does that for any new introduction or update so that it doesn't break their promised support for the given OS. Experts have been crying for Microsoft to drop legacy support and its finally dropped 16 bit support in Vista.

Plus whats your problem with moving on, Microsoft gives so much backward support, if I were Microsoft I would have stopped shipping XP the day Vista was launched and not wait till end of 07. And I dont see a problem with MS making all its softwares Vista compatible, they have spent millions and need to make a return on it, they are here to make money and not do social service.

And if you are considering SP2 as just some upgrades pack it was much more than that, it was almost 33% of the OS size whereas service packs don't exceed say at the most 10% of OS size. In fact there was an internal debate as to launch XP SP2 as a new OS say XP reloaded (just like 98SE), but they gave it out for free for the users sake.