FRIHOST ē FORUMS ē SEARCH ē FAQ ē TOS ē BLOGS ē COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Grey Hair

Tony The Tiger
I have started experiencing very significant grey hair growth. I am also lazy about shaving. This combination has enabled me to notice that my grey hair follicles seem to produce hair growth at much faster rates than my black hair follicles. Why does grey hair grow so much faster than other hair?
Sadow
I don't think this is the case. Just because grey hair is more noticable, it's not that it's growing faster than other colored hair. I think it's just your imagination. Razz
Tony The Tiger
Sadow wrote:
I don't think this is the case. Just because grey hair is more noticable, it's not that it's growing faster than other colored hair. I think it's just your imagination. Razz

I will have to get out the measuring stick.
djcaution
I'm 22 years old and my hairline is receding at an alarming rate! It's noticably thinner on the back of the top of my head too!!!!! Sad
bigdan
I'd prefer grey hair to being bald actually...at least you'd still have hair! Wink
Tony The Tiger
bigdan wrote:
I'd prefer grey hair to being bald actually...at least you'd still have hair! Wink

What about both? I have a greying beard and I shave my head bald. My head is largely bald anyway and shaving it is for the better, IMO. I like blondies like you. Keep it coming.
Drawingguy
Just something, but I don't think that bigdan is a blonde woman. The website has a different picture, and bigdan sounds like a guy, I think you just mistook his avatar for him. I'm sorry if I misunderstood.

But I don't know, I think that maybe grey hair grows faster on a beard. I know several people who have greying beards, but their hair color remains relatively black.
Daisie
someone told me once that if you pull one grey hair seven grow back... and judging by the amount i m getting recently, i m starting to believe it! Once they start appering there is no stopping them...
Anyway I find a man with a little grey hair very sexy (much to hubby's joy) but if you dont like it, you can just die it (apparently they do die for beard to...).
imera
Why are people so afraid of getting old? When I get closer to that I wonít worry that much about how I look, I think more about other things.

My father has still thick hair, or it looks think anyway. And itís brown and gray, itís kind of mixed, and I think itís just wonderful. I love that kind of hair on older men, looks mature. What I hate is when men try to hide the fact that they are bald, either by brushing their hair over or wearing a wig or something, looks pathetic.
And then there are those that shave their head, most older men look fine with that, and I like it to.
johnsonap
quote="imera"]Why are people so afraid of getting old? When I get closer to that I wonít worry that much about how I look, I think more about other things.

My father has still thick hair, or it looks think anyway. And itís brown and gray, itís kind of mixed, and I think itís just wonderful. I love that kind of hair on older men, looks mature. What I hate is when men try to hide the fact that they are bald, either by brushing their hair over or wearing a wig or something, looks pathetic.
And then there are those that shave their head, most older men look fine with that, and I like it to.[/quote

is it true, if you pluck a grey hair more grows back, quicker?
Tony The Tiger
Drawingguy wrote:
Just something, but I don't think that bigdan is a blonde woman. The website has a different picture, and bigdan sounds like a guy, I think you just mistook his avatar for him. I'm sorry if I misunderstood.

Darn it. I think you may be correct.
Tony The Tiger
Daisie wrote:
someone told me once that if you pull one grey hair seven grow back... and judging by the amount i m getting recently, i m starting to believe it! Once they start appering there is no stopping them...
Anyway I find a man with a little grey hair very sexy (much to hubby's joy) but if you dont like it, you can just die it (apparently they do die for beard to...).

I don't think I will ever die or plug my hair. . .unless Hollywood calls and insists with big dollars behind their demands
Tony The Tiger
johnsonap wrote:
quote="imera"]Why are people so afraid of getting old? When I get closer to that I wonít worry that much about how I look, I think more about other things.

And then there are those that shave their head, most older men look fine with that, and I like it to.[/quote

is it true, if you pluck a grey hair more grows back, quicker?

I don't know anything about plucking. I don't pluck. I shave. I do need to hear from more women who think I am sexy. What I really need is a squad of women wearing I heart T O N Y shirts.
Genesiz
I don't think you should view grey hair as a sign of age, more as a sign of maturity. If it doesn't bother you, leave it be, let people see that you are a mature man, who is confident enough not to hide himself away from others.
rvec
@Tony The Tiger
Please do not double post or even triple post. Use the button instead!
Nicholas94
rvec wrote:
@Tony The Tiger
Please do not double post or even triple post. Use the button instead!

me too Confused
Cddhesh
I am 22 years old.I and some of my friends have same problems.We consulted one doctor who suggested us to change our food.Previously we use to eat junk/fast food.After that we left it.soon i noticed that my hairs are of proper color.So i think some care we should take of our hairs
bigdan
Tony The Tiger wrote:

What about both? I have a greying beard and I shave my head bald. My head is largely bald anyway and shaving it is for the better, IMO. I like blondies like you. Keep it coming.

That's news to me! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Drawingguy wrote:

I am a guy with brown hair. And a very big guy at that! Laughing Sorry if I deceived you, the blondie in my avatar is Hayden Patinerre from Heroes.

I'd prefer to have brown hair, and if genetics are anything to go by (e.g. your mum's dad is where the old age hair gene comes from, if it can be believed), I'll have a thick crop of grey/white hair like my grandfather when he died. I'd happily take the grey hair! Very Happy
Sadow
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Sadow wrote:

I will have to get out the measuring stick.

And? did you measure your hairs to comp(h)air? Razz
Anyways, I'm growing grey hairs but I shave them almost completely off. Not that I hate the color of the hair. Not at all, but I just like to be bold. It's just much more easier to stand up each morning take shower and tata! you're hair is in great shape. Laughing
Tony The Tiger
Cddhesh wrote:
I am 22 years old.I and some of my friends have same problems.We consulted one doctor who suggested us to change our food.Previously we use to eat junk/fast food.After that we left it.soon i noticed that my hairs are of proper color.So i think some care we should take of our hairs

Are you saying grey hairs come from dieting and that one can get color to return to grey hair producing follicles by changing one's diet?
Tony The Tiger
bigdan wrote:
I am a guy with brown hair. And a very big guy at that! Laughing Sorry if I deceived you, the blondie in my avatar is Hayden Patinerre from Heroes.

O.K. so what do I have to do to get Hayden to render an opinion on my current sex appeal?

==============

I have just figured out what you mean about double posting. I apologize for adding another.
AftershockVibe
Tony The Tiger wrote:
bigdan wrote:

O.K. so what do I have to do to get Hayden to render an opinion on my current sex appeal?

Post a pic in the Personal Pictures Gallery for all to oggle Wink
bigdan
Tony The Tiger wrote:

AftershockVibe's right, but I wouldn't expect a response from Hayden. Laughing
Tony The Tiger
Pictures? Who needs pictures when we have YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsdCPECOR_Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y-zVTxP7_4
qazwsx741
it doesn't matter i think. the grey hair will not grow faster than the blace hair. if you want to make your hair more black, you should go to see a doctor ,i think he will give you some good advice.
or you can cut very short hair, it will looks much more comfortable.
Tony The Tiger
qazwsx741 wrote:
it doesn't matter i think. the grey hair will not grow faster than the blace hair. if you want to make your hair more black, you should go to see a doctor ,i think he will give you some good advice.
or you can cut very short hair, it will looks much more comfortable.

I can see myself at the doctors office. Doc. I am having some serious problems. Can you cure me of my greying hair.
Crazy_Canuck
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Cddhesh wrote:

Are you saying grey hairs come from dieting and that one can get color to return to grey hair producing follicles by changing one's diet?

Diet sure can have an effect on hair, but I don't think a different diet will change my graying hair back to golden blonde. If so, please let me know, and I will stop spending $125 every couple of months at my hair salon!

I've also heard of people who have experienced a significant trauma and have had their hair turn white overnight.

Hmmmmm.

P.S., Tony I think you're quite hot. I especially like the black fur on your face -- is that a touch of distinguished grey there? -- and that sexy way you growl when you eat your breakfast cereal.
Tony The Tiger
Crazy_Canuck wrote:
Diet sure can have an effect on hair. . .

Do you have any details on what type of diet is good for continued color in hair follicle production.

Crazy_Canuck wrote:
I've also heard of people who have experienced a significant trauma and have had their hair turn white overnight.

I have heard of this too. That is not my problem.

Crazy_Canuck wrote:
P.S., Tony I think you're quite hot. I especially like the black fur on your face -- is that a touch of distinguished grey there? -- and that sexy way you growl when you eat your breakfast cereal.

I should have used the full body avatar so you could see my big chest and slim waist! Many wild animals and freaks of nature seem to have opinions on such matters.
Crazy_Canuck
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Do you have any details on what type of diet is good for continued color in hair follicle production.

People who are protein deficient often end up with brittle, red-tinged hair. But that's not your problem either, is it?

Grey hair is simply a natural part of the aging process -- its onset and progress governed largely by genetics.

I'm no nutritionist, but my understanding is that general hair health is like anything else: a healthy, balanced diet and proper hydration will keep whatever hair you have shiny and in good condition. Avoid excessive alcohol and smoking. Protect it from the sun. All that good stuff.

I say, like Genesiz up there ^, embrace your age and stay healthy in body, mind and spirit.

As for grey hair growing faster than regularly coloured hair, I'm not sure that's true--but it definitely tends to have a different texture, and maybe that's why it seems to stand out. Also, we tend to fixate on it, don't we?

Tony The Tiger wrote:
I should have used the full body avatar so you could see my big chest and slim waist! Many wild animals and freaks of nature seem to have opinions on such matters.

Meow.
twisthigh
That's really unfortuante, but I wouldn't fight against it because the girl on What Not To Wear, Stacy London, has like this grey strand and it's gorgeous - it gives her personality/character. You should just go with it.
natem
I'm starting to go grey, at the ripe old age of 26 Confused I hate it, but there is not too much I can do besides dye my hair....
Tony The Tiger
Crazy_Canuck wrote:
As for grey hair growing faster than regularly coloured hair, I'm not sure that's true--but it definitely tends to have a different texture, and maybe that's why it seems to stand out. Also, we tend to fixate on it, don't we?

Meow.

I think you may be right. It may just stand up on end a little more. Because it seems taller it seems to be growing faster.
deanhills
natem wrote:
I'm starting to go grey, at the ripe old age of 26 Confused I hate it, but there is not too much I can do besides dye my hair....
Dying is not good for the hair or the scalp. Why not highlight it instead? If you can find a really good hairdresser who can do that subtly it can look good and last for a long time.
Tony The Tiger
twisthigh wrote:
That's really unfortuante, but I wouldn't fight against it because the girl on What Not To Wear, Stacy London, has like this grey strand and it's gorgeous - it gives her personality/character. You should just go with it.

It is my observation that most women in the public spotlight avoid showing greying hair in general. On occasion, when a woman wants to make a name for her intellect or other assets other than her beauty she may allow some grey to show. Ms. London is obviously trying to distinguish herself as a consultant whose opinion matters. If she were trying to be a sex symbol, which is not to say that she is not sexy, she would color like all other women who vie for attention in part based on their looks.

I am a man. It is not as necessary for men to color. Many men are considered sexy even as they grey. I am not aiming to be a sex symbol although I can not fight natural perceptions:-! I am not fighting my grey, but Ms. London has little to do with my rationale.
Velius
Well its nice to hear there are some people like grey hair but isn't a also sign of aging or symptoms of hair loss
Velius
I agree just be yourself and do what you usually do. Good luck in your problems
ankur2010
Well... Gerying of hair is due to loss or killing of melanin in your hair follicles.. so you better include Vitamins in your diet.
One more thing , don't make yourself too much stressed. Just stay cool and regularly massage ...!! it'll help you out...!! Razz
Tony The Tiger
ankur2010 wrote:
Well... Gerying of hair is due to loss or killing of melanin in your hair follicles.. so you better include Vitamins in your diet.
One more thing , don't make yourself too much stressed. Just stay cool and regularly massage ...!! it'll help you out...!! Razz

What foods are high in melanin? Are you sure that this is what causes greying. If so why doesn't it also cause the loss of coloration in the iris, which melanin is also a source of color for?
deanhills
Tony The Tiger wrote:
ankur2010 wrote:

What foods are high in melanin? Are you sure that this is what causes greying. If so why doesn't it also cause the loss of coloration in the iris, which melanin is also a source of color for?
I was told by an iridologist that the colour of our eyes is effected by what we eat. Not sure how real it is.
Tony The Tiger
natem wrote:

I shaved it all of at 32 (now 45). Been going cueball a couple times a week ever since. Fortunately, us soul brothers look good that way.
Tony The Tiger
deanhills wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
ankur2010 wrote:

I was told by an iridologist that the colour of our eyes is effected by what we eat. Not sure how real it is.

I have never heard that one. What is an iridologist? Do they tell fortunes, do horoscopes and such?
dengerojame
small grief of mine skies turned to gray hair. and could not find the solution to soak the natural color.
cliffkelly
Grey hair is simply a natural part of the aging process -- its onset and progress governed largely by genetics. Gray hair can be harder to color as it is more resistant to haircolor or hair dye due to a decreased amount of melanin.
gphoenix
This could be in your head. Like you are super aware of the gray hair because you are watching it all the time.

Otherwise, I would make a guess that because it lacks color pigment it can be grown faster. Also, hormonal changes that cause gray hair as we age, also cause hair to grow faster or slower. So does the seasonal changes: in cold weather, hair grows faster. In hot, it grows slower.

You can try an oil called Dhatri (search ebay.) its ayurvedic and prevents grey hair..