FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What's happened in the last 3 years?

Octaeder
So about 3 years ago I was into anime in a big way... Movies, TV shows, if I could get my hands on it then I'd watch it.

Then I stopped. No real reason for it, I guess my interest just sort of dissipated a bit.

So here's my question: Has anything great happened in the last few years that i should check out?

I really don't care about the genre, I will watch about most things, but just to give you a rough guideline, some of my favourites include:

Boogiepop Phantom
R.O.D.
Macross Plus
Ghost in the Shell (Series + movies)
Neon Genesis (obvious I know)
Excel Saga
Hellsing

Not an exhaustive list, more a selection of highlights. Any suggestions much appreciated.
animassacre
3 OVAs of hallsing came out
you should check them out
silvertailsfox
Haha, I really dunno what's happened in the past few years but Naruto is way (too) popular now and I see a lot of people freaking out about Ouran Host Club. They're not really related the animes you listed. Heh, I'm prefer to watch really old 90's anime.
McDucque
There was a second season of Stand Alone Complex...

I haven't watched it personally, but I hear good things about Eureka 7, a mecha...

Watch Death Note, and if you like that, watch Monster, they're two really smart, really deep animes, DN keeps you on your feet more than Monster, but both are very good.

Maybe I'm Stupid But Trinity Blood has a Hellsing feel to it. There's a Devil May Cry anime, I hated the first episode, but maybe it picked up a bit.
crimson_aria
I stopped watching anime too, not because I lost interest or something, just that, I've been into something else. but after, I think 4 years of not getting hooked to any, I read the Death Note manga and whoa~ totally rocks. then the anime came out months after reading it. i watched it then.

So yeah.. I second what McDucque said, watch Death Note. it's about a bored genius who picks up a deadly weapon. it's a battle of brains. really awesome.

Another anime that got me hooked during that same season was Code Geass. it's amazing. kinda like Death note at first glance because of the power acquired by the main character that can control the world. but they're not really similar. it's like a cross of Death note and Gundam Seed, like what many say. I like it very much. for me, it's one of the best anime ever. the twist in every episode and the character development.. just freaking awesome. it isn't finished yet, the second season is bound to air in October.

well, hope you'll like em.
blk3
Try One Piece, Naruto and Bleach. Those are common favorites nowadays.
kosecc
Some of the nowadays favorites are a bit overrated. Give me a copy of Totoro, Akira or Gem anyday. Those shows have drama. I prefer the oldies like Shin-chan, Dragonball (kawaii) and Samurai X (though the monologues were extremely irritating). The most recent anime I would consider watching would be One Piece, Bleach or Bobobobo-Bo-Bobo (awesome comedy, although the plot is one-sided: Good guys always win, that sort of thing).
Deias
One of the next biggest anime to come out has Karas perfect blend of new computer generated graphics and hand drawn anime. usually the computer CGI anime goes way over board and kills the actuall anime and makes it difficult to watch, this is the way its suppost to be done. Also if your a Full Metal Alchemist Fan Full Metal Alchemist: Conqueror of Shambala came out on DVD, on a related topic if you do not know what Full Metal Alchemist is ....... time to crawl out of that 3 year anime vacation and look into it, a true great anime
Seiji
In three years you have missed a lot. I doubt you would watch every new anime that came out anyway it would consume too much time and you would probably get tired of it. There has been some standouts like GITS: SAC and Code Geass.
iyepes
Actually some anime you mentioned is older that three years. I really want to see Ghost in the Shell again, I saw it's ending part twice. I didn't know there was a series about it. It would be nice to find a copy of Ghost at internet, but I'm really bad about searching that kind o material.

I liked Evangelion, which is older too, I used to watch it five years ago, now I don't have much time for anime.
Pikokola
kosecc wrote:
Some of the nowadays favorites are a bit overrated. Give me a copy of Totoro, Akira or Gem anyday. Those shows have drama. I prefer the oldies like Shin-chan, Dragonball (kawaii) and Samurai X (though the monologues were extremely irritating). The most recent anime I would consider watching would be One Piece, Bleach or Bobobobo-Bo-Bobo (awesome comedy, although the plot is one-sided: Good guys always win, that sort of thing).

Dragon ball kawai? Which part?

If you asking about what happened in 3 years, of course a lot happened,
If you ask about anime titles which are good,
1. I think you should know One Piece, since it's already running for 10 years, and it's still good and turning to be much more better than 3 years ago.
2. You maybe want to try naruto too, many people said that it's very good, but that's an overrated for me (beware of fillers in the first season).
3. another good anime, Clannad (it's a drama, so don't expect a fight like Dragon ball or some flashy mechas like Evangelion).
4. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, It's addicting in some way, even there's some rumor about haruhi-ism *_*, Actually i only able to watch the first episode so far.
5. etc ^^