FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

chain letters/ myspace bulletins

dz9c
i thought about posting a myspace bulletin myself about why do people post chain letters and crap. but i dont think anyone will reply because theyll think im rebelling or something. so i come here.
what is the point? like not trying to be ignorant to people that do post these but i have given it some thought and they are pretty annoying if anything. aat the bottom of every single one is something like this:
Quote:
Repost this in 70 seconds with the subject "MY CHILDS NAME aww... this is neat" and you'll get an unexpected talk from your lover...DON'T MESS this up or you'll NEVER SEE THEM AGAIN

and i pray for those idiots out there that ACTUALLY do believe these things... what is wrong with this world ...

please post opinions on this matter please
Aless
Chains are so silly. Do you really think a giant corporation like Microsoft is going to track your silly e-mail and then actually send you a check for forwarding it?! Why would they need to this if they make billions of money without your silly e-mail forwards?

That and the notion that sending an E-MAIL would magically make someone fall in love you is so silly. It's just like believing in good luck charms or silly superstitions. It's exactly what you put into it...
tidruG
To be perfectly honest, I quite enjoy these chain mails... hey, they have perfectly good amusement value!

Quote:
It's just like believing in good luck charms or silly superstitions.
Which, in fact, it really is. Remember when you were a kid with a crush, and you took every single little omen to mean that she liked you too or hoped for anything that would make her like you (replace "she/her" by "he/him" where applicable)? Well, it's something like that. You forward these chains to all the 20 people you know who have e-mail IDs, and hope that tomorrow, she really will come talk to you!
(Ok, so that's my explanation for the youngsters forwarding these chain mails, I have no explanation for adults).

NOTE:
Copy this reply and paste it in at least 238 post/threads. If you don't, :
a. your cat will choke on a hairball and die.
b. a bird will crap on your head.
c. if you have a car, it will get punctured just as you're about to leave on a picnic. If you don't have a car... well, you weren't going for the picnic anyway
d. your crush will spill her coke on you, run away, and laugh at you from a distance

On the other hand, if you DO paste this in 238 posts/threads,
a. you will find a 10,000$ note on your way home (yes, they exist... well, now they do anyway)
b. your moustache will never need trimming again (especially useful for girls)
c. you will enjoy tremendous popularity on Frihost, be asked to join the moderating team, and later become the overall Administrator and Owner as Bondings will have to return to his home planet!!!

DO IT NOW!!!
Jack_Hammer
tidruG wrote:
To be perfectly honest, I quite enjoy these chain mails... hey, they have perfectly good amusement value!

Quote:
It's just like believing in good luck charms or silly superstitions.
Which, in fact, it really is. Remember when you were a kid with a crush, and you took every single little omen to mean that she liked you too or hoped for anything that would make her like you...

Erm, no...
Wink

G, you so silly sometimes it makes me laugh,
Laughing
Srs2388
I never repost them unless i can make it funny somehow lol.
Dalv87
I think it's part the same reason people read horoscopes (whatever that reason is exactly, I don't know) and part boredom.
tidruG
Quote:
I think it's part the same reason people read horoscopes
You mean:
a. They have their fate to blame if something goes wrong.
b. They like to prepare themselves for what's coming.
c. Entertainment!!!
d. So you can laugh at the fact that while most forecasters put May 20 in Taurus, others consider it to be Gemini (from personal experience).

Back on topic:
Another reason people really forward stuff to other people is because sometimes some of the forwards are actually worth reading. My sister generally forwards stuff to all her friends, but most of them are jokes or "senti" mails which make you think of stuff. She barely ever counts how many people she's forwarding to, though.

Someday, I will start a chain mail which says that "unless you forward this mail to 20,000 people, your nose will fall off!", and then photoshop a few pictures of people without noses, and then see what effect it has on the people who receive the mail.
Keran
In my opinion only complete idiots send out chain letters. Think about it, how someone can be so stupid to bug people that actually do some productive work with crap like "Send this to billion people and you'll get a kiss from a girl". It's the same as going to some guy on the street and telling him "Tell 'I love gum' to 100 people you meet on the street and you will become awesome" :/ It is not interesting nor amusing.

From my experience I can tell, that all the "Chainers" are below the age of ~10 that are experiencing the internet for the very first time.
If You are an adult or just above age of 10 and still sending those letters I advise You to think about Your stupidity and stop before it's too late, whole internet is laughing at you...
And Seriously, there is no "Entertainment" or "fun" in sending those letters, unless you are some idiot that only ambition in life is to annoy everyone arround him.

God I hope next person who sends me a chain letter dies the way that he wrote in that chain letter...

Oh right, I forgot. Send this post to 69 people and I swear I'll f#$k you.
catscratches
Yeah, there are a lot of stupid chain letters messing around all the interesting discussion that there could've been on eg. YouTube videos' comments. Now every 4th post is a chain letters and it's annoying!

Same on MySpace where the comments on the bands are "ADD ADD ADD ADD ADD -=>=>=>=>=>=>=>=>=>=>". And things like that. But the truth is, just YOU press the add button instead, 90% of the bands will accept without knowing who you are anyway. Just YOU press it and don't post stupid ADD messages.
tidruG
@Keran
wow, anger... That's really going to stop the chain mailers. Razz
Let's get real. It is possible that most people do start chain mails to annoy others. Some of them, however, just want to share some stories or jokes they liked, but end up putting the "send this to xxx and get xxx" part of it.
Most of the people who forward chain mails are above 10. In most countries, people don't start using the internet before they are above 10. Teenagers have fun sending each other forwards, as it's their way of keeping in touch. It may be stupid to you and me to send and receive the same mail from 10 people in your address book, but if it's how these people like emailing, leave them be.

My sister and her friends pretty regularly forward a lot of stuff to each other. My dad, who's working for an IT company in a pretty high position, receives forwarded mails from some of his colleagues every now and then, and he does forward some of the good ones to me as well. And most of them end with the "send this to xxx and get xxx" clause. My sister's way above 10, and definitely so is my dad.

On your part, however, you can avoid becoming a part of the chain mail "problem". Just don't forward mails to people, and encourage your friends not to forward stuff to you. After having done this for about a month, I've completely stopped receiving chain mails from anyone except a friend of mine, and he only sends me one or two mails a week, which are generally fun to read. Razz
Keran
What You are trying to describe here isn't what's annoying me. The stories Your sister sends may be fine and normal and mostly to known friends.
What annoys me are the damn letters that are total spam and have no values whatsoever.
They are being sent everywhere, on the mail or as someone said, in comments on Youtube/video google, I myself get a lot of spam on my movies there. Also MSN and other communication programs are the biggest problem, I get spam letters from total strangers, even though I have never created/forwarded a chain letter in my life. I use to get this sort of spam atleast once a day, I had to put on some filter to not see messages from strangers to be finally free, but I can't have that filter much on because I meet new people every day which is a part of my job...

I agree here that anger isn't gonna stop the chain letters, there's nothing noone can do to prevent it or contain in.
But maybe someone will see what kind of attitude I have for this kind of things and that I'm not the only one who thinks like this and maybe, just maybe that person before sending or forwarding next spam letter will think "hmm, maybe that guy was right, why should i bug people"...
babumuchhala
Thankfully these chain letters have reduced a lot (in my inbox i mean) but they still end up there. Currently the biggest stuff in these chail mails is please help XYZ by forwarding this mail as he suffers from a deadly disease and his family is too poor to pay for it, and so Orkut/Yahoo or whatever has agreed to pay some sum per fwd.

Generally my reply is a really big firing email reply and if I can its also meted out in person. So thats helped reduce such stupid chain mails a lot.

tidruG wrote:
NOTE:
c. if you have a car, it will get punctured just as you're about to leave on a picnic. If you don't have a car... well, you weren't going for the picnic anyway
d. your crush will spill her coke on you, run away, and laugh at you from a distance

a. you will find a 10,000$ note on your way home (yes, they exist... well, now they do anyway)
c. you will enjoy tremendous popularity on Frihost, be asked to join the moderating team, and later become the overall Administrator and Owner as Bondings will have to return to his home planet!!!

DO IT NOW!!!
Good one tidruG, but I sent such an email once and it ended up in my mailbox again in about 15 days from someone else who had not received it initially after going round the globe Razz
mrimp
you guys are all right. Chain bulletins are a waste of space. Do i really care if i am supposedly 'going to die in a weeks time' when the only place i'll be is my house!
Fanghai44
hahaha
well ive seen 1 about september 11 and its mad scary. i forgot wat it was but im still scared of it. it points out mad random facts and how coincidential they are. blahhh!! anyway yea i agree that it probably is a waste of time and space. but i quite enjoy seeing other ppl get scared and start posting stuff on that is completely random! hehe...
tidruG
I not only got that one about the random facts and connections regarding September 11, but I also got another one that explains the stupidity of that one!
If I get it again (and I probably will, considering how spam goes round and round the internet and keeps multiplying), I'll try to send it to you by PM or something.
ankitdatashn
dz9c wrote:
and i pray for those idiots out there that ACTUALLY do believe these things... what is wrong with this world ...

Completely agree with you buddy!

I sometimes feel the people sending these chaimails are totally heartless creatures, the reason I am saying so is because it sometimes plays with the emotions of the people, say for example sometimes we get a chainmail that by forwarding the chainmail the peson who has heart diesease would get 1 dollar for his treatment. Now as I am a computer student I first of all say there is no way to track the chainmails being forwarded on internet, common no one can track it not even google because of the vastness and dynamic natured of the internet. Now the people who are newbies on net would think chainmail as true and forward it to their friends!

The thing I want to emaphasize is that we might say who cares but I would say I care, It might remove the possibility of getting aid to the real needy!

Sometimes when I get chaimail like forward this to 15 friends in next 1 hour I change the caption to > forward this to 1500 friends in next 1 minute otherwise a crow will shit on your head!!

Humourous isn't it??
silverdown
Chain letters are as true as free money comes on tree's, not to mention it put idea into peoples heads. It also makes people thing bad things will happen to them if they don't do as the letter says. I heard a story of someone not doing them and still believing they going to die and they only did because of the stupid letter. I do not not know if it a true story.
rvec
I always send them back.
If it said i have to send it 40 times, i do so.
I stopped getting those mails in no time Razz
darrenpaul
Its all harmless fun really, nothing to really get annoyed with. I also have a story, one of those chain mails came through on the social networking site Bebo to my bebo mail box, the final part was - "Send this on and the one you fancy will love you by 9 tonight" So I just forwarded it on, it took no time whatsoever and heck its only a bit of fun.

Anyway, that night myself and girl who I met the a month before at a stage production, were texting and were both really liked each other. So anyway I had to go and texted her to explain such and she texted back "Talk to you tomorrow, luv you xxxxxx" It was 9:05

I was like wtf! I smiled when I saw it
304esque
uh =w=

i get more annoyance out of people sending hate mails.

But I agree. Most chains are stupid. Forewards are still alright, depending on what is being forwarded, like jokes and all.

Chains however... are useless =w=
hempparulaa
Youtube is full of chainletters, and i personally HATE them more than anything[/url]
unknownc1c
yeah i hate chain letters, they're sooooo pointless. I don't believe in them for a second, but it is sometimes fun to repost them or leave them alone to see if anything does happen. If anything happens it's just coincidence. If i'm bored i might repost them or if i want people to respond to a certain one, but i don't really care about those things Razz
Bockman
I don't usually spend my precious time on these matters (no, this topic ain't spam, but it doesn't really fit my interest topics), but I'll make an exception on how to (partially) solve those problems..

This usually works when the sender is someone you know and (obviously) not a fake mail address.

1 - When you receive the first chain letter you reply back asking the person not to send that kind of mails to you.

2 - Since I don't believe in second chances, I recommend you jump to stage 3. If you, on the other hand, believe in second chances, you can mail back a 2nd time asking the person to remove you from the group he/she/it sends those mails to (people usually use groups to send these letters)

3 - If you receive another chain letter from that person, pick your chain mail database (what.. you don't SAVE your chain mails? you better start doing it) and forward ALL of them back to him. If he is that kind of person, he will be "entertained" forwarding those messages for a few months. If he has a brain, however, he WILL get the message.

4 - This is a mandatory step when you have completed stage 3. BLOCK THAT GUY'S EMAIL, preferrably on the mail server to avoid having tons of spam coming back your way (there's the possibility that he will read and forward those tons of mails you just sent him Razz )

Believe it or not this DOES work. I've done it to 3 or four friends of mine (most of my friends stop sending crappy mails when i ask them the first time) and they stopped sending chain letters (not just to me.. they STOPPED, period)

Of course i have a 5+ years database of junk mail ready to send whenever needed (we're talking thousand's of mails), which makes the message more clear to the other person, but you can start collecting now just in case you may need it in the future.

Be Well Cool

P.S. - OH! i forgot to mention.. be carefull when sending those emails. most ISP/mail servers have limitations to how many mails you can send per hour. If you want the job done right use a mail sender that allows for queuing and mail per hour configurations.
squirrelmaster
Have you ever noticed that most if not all of the bulletins are posted by guys on myspace??

I don't know what that means, maybe i just need more girl friends, maybe not. Who knows Rolling Eyes
eday2010
MySpace is probably the worst site ever. Every page is an eyesore and most of the auto-playing music sucks. Thankfully it can be stopped. I stay away from MySpace, and chain letters. I always ask the idiot friend who sent it to not send me anymore because they are all crap. If they continue, I call them names and block their email account, expecially when they send ones I used to get 10 years ago about Bill Gates giving you money for sending a forward or some dumb little cancer girl whose dying wish is that a chain email gets sent to everybody. She sure lived a long time for being terminally ill!
furtasacra
dz9c wrote:

I have to agree with that... some of the bulletins I get on MySpace are beyond belief. My guy would have been gone months ago if it was true "your lover will leave you if you don't repost this bulletin in 30 seconds" or whatever. It's particularly annoying that the friend who most frequently sends out this silly rubbish is actually quite intelligent, at least when she's not using MySpace, anyway.

When I get chain letters in my normal email, I just delete them and go on about my business, but I rarely get any. I love spam filters!

That said...

I confess! I repost MySpace bulletins if they are sufficiently amusing! Most of them aren't, so that doesn't happen very often! I swear! Please don't hurt me.
zichlone
I abhor these chainletters whoo in their right mind sits arround wirting these things
crimson_aria
I get annoyed with chain letters. Though I have to admit they scare me sometimes. But I've never passed them even if they scare me. It's silly.
Indyan
I find chain letters/emails etc really annoying. They are almost always silly and idiotic.
Sometimes if I get a letter asking me to pass it along to 10 friends, what I do is send 10 copies of it to the original sender.
mina
I generally try to avoid reposting those things, the only time I repost something that's a forward on Myspace is when I find it funny enough that someone else would love to read it. Quite a few of my friends though love to post those bulletins that are those stupid forwards (eg. if you don't repost this in five minutes a dead girl will show up at midnight and give you the hug of death!). I usually just shake my head and look for something else to do. I get more irritated by the fact that someone actually believes that it will happen.
I really would like to meet the person that comes up with those emails, just sitting there trying to think of the worst thing that they can say would happen to you. I'd like to throw water in their face.

As for email forwards... can't say that I really get much of those. Occasionally I'll get one or two from my aunt, but other than that don't get much. The ones I do dislike are the religious ones... not being religious myself, I don't care for them. Fortunately I can just delete them. Smile
ninjakannon
tidruG wrote:
NOTE:

DO IT NOW!!!

Okay, that's number 1. 237 to go!

On a more serious note... I pretty much have the same opinion as tidruG. I don't believe that anyone (well... Not many people at least (I hope!)) actually believes in these type of messages. I think the reposting is more about giving themselves a little bit of hope. Of course, they forget they've even posted them after a few minutes or so and the message just becomes another useless waste of bandwidth.
On the other hand, some are funny! I have no objection to these and, if they're good enough, I may even re-post them myself - after all it's worth sharing then.

What really gets at me is the bulletins that go something like:
I've just... [Ridiculously tantalising title that makes you just itch to open the message. Like they've just given birth or something. Yeah, it's BOUND to be that exciting]
Updated my proff! [For the 3rd time today]

Go have a look!! [So I can get more profile views and feel good about myself]

And you mussssssssst comment me. [Yeah.. because total comments times * profile views = popularity.. duh!]

All comments will be returned. [If I can be bothered or if you're hot]

And pic comments pweasssssssseee!! [Change the previous equation... total comments * profile views + pic comments = popularity]

.xxxxxxxxxxxXXxxxxxxxxxxxx. [These aren't kisses and I don't love everybody but heck it looks cute doesn't it?]

________

Yes, as you have guessed those are my sarcastic comments providing you with <s>giggles</s> the truth. These people are just too sad. Either that or they have wayyy too much free time.

Note: I do know that the strike tag doesn't work here.
Donutey
This is the entire reason I switched to facebook.
coreymanshack
Donutey wrote:
This is the entire reason I switched to facebook.

And every other person will eventually do so because they are "tired" of something happening on myspace. Come to find out everyone from myspace is over there, and that's just not cool.
Dwyer17
I can't believe you don't believe in those things! If you don't repost, bad things will happen! You must be careful! God bless your soul!
ninjakannon
Dwyer17 wrote:
I can't believe you don't believe in those things! If you don't repost, bad things will happen! You must be careful! God bless your soul!

Let's all pray it's sarcasm. Wink
ChrisCh
I can't stand chain emails and pointless myspace bulletins!! Some are OK, but I really can't stand the ones that are like ''repost this in x seconds or something bad will happen''... and what's more annoying is that there are people stupid enough to believe that! lol
heinrich666
yeah those things are for people with no time on their hands
ashish2005
Yeah chain mails are really stupid and annoying. I used to even believe what was written in chain mails about a year ago and repost/fwd them. Now I am just sick of them and never bother to even read them or forward them. But I see them everywhere in hi5, myspace, youtube etc and people should make them vanish by ignoring them.
kerryworkman
tidruG wrote:

NOTE:

DO IT NOW!!!

LMAO .... my favorite is " b..... (especially useful for girls)" Smile
Afaceinthematrix
Those things annoy me! They used to just be in emails, then they moved to myspace, and now they're starting to take over youtube! I don't see why people would waste their time making them, or reposting them. The only ones that I've ever reposted on myspace or in emails were the funny ones that people would enjoy reading.
Iloveyouhh_3
i cant believe some people belive that a dead ghost with a knife and a boner is gonna come rape you in your sleep!

i saw this one and is said something like thiss.....

REPOST WITHIN 12 SECONDS OR.... A GHOST WILL COME RAPE, AND KILL YOUR DOG TONIGHT!

its like ohhh shit! im not gonna repost it! see ya fido! or whatever Wink haha
Arty
Aless wrote:
Chains are so silly. Do you really think a giant corporation like Microsoft is going to track your silly e-mail and then actually send you a check for forwarding it?! Why would they need to this if they make billions of money without your silly e-mail forwards?

That and the notion that sending an E-MAIL would magically make someone fall in love you is so silly. It's just like believing in good luck charms or silly superstitions. It's exactly what you put into it...

That's what chains really are....People believe them on purpose because they think if they believe hard enough it'll actually come true. Smile
coreymanshack
I think people try to believe them just so they will have something to do. Here's a note: Get a life.
crimson_aria
Indyan wrote:
I find chain letters/emails etc really annoying. They are almost always silly and idiotic.
Sometimes if I get a letter asking me to pass it along to 10 friends, what I do is send 10 copies of it to the original sender.

great idea! i'm going to try that next time. thanks.

even though I hate chain letters, I have to admit they make me laugh sometimes. they are so silly it's funny and annoying at the same time.

I received a serious chain letter once though. not in the net. It was printed in two short bond papers full of scary situations and the like. it scared me actually. but I didn't pass it. I didn't want to worry anyone. some things are bound to happen, chain letter-ed or not.