FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mobile's Battery

Cddhesh
Friends i dont know whether this post is right in this section,but i found it suitable here.
I am just confused about whether or not to switch off mobile at night,as what all do to save battery.
According to my knowledge,when you switch on your mobile it sends signal with its full strength to find tower,and at this time the battery is consumed to largest amount.Once it finds tower,tower will control power.So battery will be used more if you are switching on.
So its better to switch off mobile at night or not?
babumuchhala
Switching off your cell phone at the night should be up to your personal privacy preferences i.e. do you want someone to call u at the middle of night and disturb you or not.

And as far as your reasoning that the cell towers control your battery consumption is pretty much wrong. If your cell signal is weak it will consume more battery as the phone has to amplify the signal more. Plus I am pretty sure that this is not even 1/10th of ur phones requirement.

Whereas shutting down and starting your phone takes more battery because it has to close down and restart all applications just like your computer, and not because it has to search for the signal. Todays cellphones are more powerful than the PII's, the latest Moto Razr 2 has a 500 MHz processor.

Also the batteries in the phones are designed to go through millions of recharge cycles.

So, if you like not to be disturbed at night turn your cell off, worrying about your battery life is unwanted.
dmystic
what you say is right, but not for all cellphones, cellphones without many feutures havent got a powerfull cpu in it, so then it make really a difference, and it does care when you are seeking for network, when you go to the mountains somewhere, and no network can be found, it keeps using your mobile phone to find, and it will cost power, for example i was once in mountains without a network, and someone had his mobile phone on, normally it can last a week with a fully loaded, there it was 5hours while it was fully loaded, becouse when you got connected to a network, it doesnt spend more then it needs, but when it does not, it keeps looking for a network, so it takes much more power, but, to come back on topic, if u put it out in the night, it will spend less for starting and closing then it would if u put it on.....

comment: now we are talking about power, it might be an idea to put bluetooth off if u got it on your cellphone, it costs very much power...
babumuchhala
dmystic wrote:
what you say is right, but not for all cellphones, cellphones without many feutures havent got a powerfull cpu in it, so then it make really a difference, and it does care when you are seeking for network, when you go to the mountains somewhere, and no network can be found, it keeps using your mobile phone to find, and it will cost power, for example i was once in mountains without a network, and someone had his mobile phone on, normally it can last a week with a fully loaded, there it was 5hours while it was fully loaded, becouse when you got connected to a network, it doesnt spend more then it needs, but when it does not, it keeps looking for a network, so it takes much more power, but, to come back on topic, if u put it out in the night, it will spend less for starting and closing then it would if u put it on.....
I agree my friend, but I just didn't think it might be a very low end phone as today even $40 phones have colour screens gprs and stuff.

If the phone doesn't find a network for a long period of time say more than a couple of hours it goes into a power saving mode as its already figured out there in no network in the area and there is no use spending so much power behind it. But if the networks weak and keeps going on and off then it will surely eat into your battery like hell
dmystic
yea could be, but putting the cellphone off in the night is less consumption of power than starting up