FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cycles and the decline of creativity

trousersalive
I am sure many of you have noticed that what is old becomes new every one or two generations. I don't have any problem with it, considering I am fascinated by the retro-modern movement. But I am forced to wonder, is the world experiencing a decline in creativity?
otiscom
I think a lot of inventions, creations are bought up by big companies to protect there own products.
This means we never see them.

It's so dificult to get funding to develop, manufacture your invention that often the only way to recover your initial costs is to accept an offer form a major compny.
Davidgr1200
I think you are probably right there. In order to maximise thier profits corporations do not want to make major leaps forward but only incremental ones. If someone does make a major breakthrough then a large company will buy it up and put it on hold for a while. For example, I remember, about ten years ago, reading that Citroen had built a car which could run at 100 km on 1 litre of petrol (0.01 l/km). This was only built as a demonstration model. First they want to sell them with 0.05 then 0.04 then 0.03 etc etc. Look at computers as well, when PCs first came out they got dramatically better very year, now they are only getting slightly better, but the technology changes anyway so you have to buy new hardware even if you want to upgrade just one component. Strangely enough these components become slightly better a few months later and so on.
prole
I think we may attribute this to the relatively peaceful era we are having. In turbulent war times, inventions come up much more frequently in comparison for more urgent needs.
missdixy
Sort of.
I remember that when I was a child (which really wasn't ALL that long ago, but still) my best friend and I would create her (or my) living room into a huge barbie house. We would use pencils and video cassettes to create walls and halls, and we would fold and bunch up towels to make sofas for the living room, and etc. We would always get creative. Now, I see today's children, and either they are playing or doing something which doesn't normally involve creativity (watching TV, playing video games, being online etc.) or they have a bunch of toy sofas and toy barbie houses, etc.

Also, it doesn't help that children live a life where they can't stand to be "bored" or just sit and think and dwell on their own thoughts. They always want to be doing something.
hilariouslicorice
seems to me that since our main cultural storyteller has become television, a lot of people have become pretty into conforming to TV-sold norms and less into doing things themselves. heehee, i guess this is a funny comment for a film student to post though Wink
tijn01
Yes I believe the world is becoming a less creative place. More and more we are told what we are meant to be and who we are meant to be. We are told we are either creative or not creative people and we are surrounded by this idea that art must be sold to be good.
It's all crap, we are all creative people, wejust aren't given the avenues to discover it....
tidruG
A decline in creativity?
Some of you have posted about the effect of the idiot box. I certainly do accept that television does have a negative impact on creativity, in most cases. However, in some cases, watching productive programs on TV can help younger people get more creative. Video games and ready-made toys now present children with quicker, easier, and more fun ways of spending time, rather having to think up things to do.
I think the adverse effect of most of these is that it takes away time that you could have spent doing something creative.

Now coming to creativity in general (among adults).
I believe we've reached such a stage right now where almost everything we use in our daily lives has been improved and perfected a lot and reached a stage where it is generally too complex for an average person to understand how it works. If you take examples of creativity, such as the guy who invented the rubber tube for the cycle (the story goes that originally, cycles all had 100% rubber tyres, which were really hard over rough surfaces. So, this gardener took a really thick garden pipe, filled it with air, and put it in place of the 100% solid rubber tyre on his son's bike), you realize that those were times when it was fairly easy to think of ways to improve things. Now, however, you have special tyres which special treads for mountain-biking, for casual riding, for street-racing, etc etc. Most improvements and creative developments are now expected from Research & Development teams.

Apart from that, one could talk about the lack of creativity regarding the introduction of completely new/never-seen-before products/techniques/etc. I don't know how bad the situation is... I read about new and exciting products being launched every now and then, and I'm sure the media doesn't even cover half of the new innovations in the world.
babumuchhala
Now let us first begin with the literal definition of creativity.
Quote:
The stage in the process of problem solving in which the imagination is encouraged to soar in a search for totally new and innovative approaches
The definition is pretty damn clear, and one can be creative even while fitting a bulb or even while cooking. Creativity is not getting something out that will just turn the whole world upside down but just finding an innovative way to do the thing. Thats revolutionary and set to change the whole scenario.

As far as going retro is concerned its just a new phenomenon and people are still very creative when implementing retro designs.

As has been pointed out, the world we live in is very complex and changing stuff that's so revolutionary is pretty tough but it still happens (Like Gmail or iPhone).

@tidruG, I doubt your way of thinking that in olden days it was easier to think out of the box, for those people life was a complex as it is now. There are so many reports on TV about how innovative the rural India is being by thinking out of the box and making things work for them like making transportation tractors out of water pumps, etc.

In todays world or media and money its a known fact that 99 out of 100 inventions go down the drain because of lack of resources, so to end it there is no dearth of creative people, but we do need more lateral thinking managers who are ready take the risk and trust the inventor.
ReubenWilliams
there have been some excellent points made, and this is an interesting thread. Good to see a high standard of posting on here.

My opinion is that creativity is normally a term used in finding a solution to a problem, therefore it stands to reason that in order to find a solution the "creative" person must be very aware of the problem and give their attention to it. When you are talking about creative inventions it seemed telling to me that the indian society is currently undergoing a wave of inventions, when it is obviously a society with a large population who are struggling to survive, although it is also quite rich in parts and technologically advanced.

We are generally quite comfortable. Our standard of living is very high. I beleive that less conflict creates less creativity. I think this is what was being reffered to when someone said that wartime is more creative than peace time, although I don't believe that the struggle has to be a war in order to produce problem solving.

Whilst the term cretivity can be applied to children drawing and painting, I dont believe this is much different from the creativity used in managing a virtual football team, so in this respect I don't think the kids of today are any less creative.
Tumbleweed
hmmmmmmmmmmm....... what a creative question Laughing
standready
tidruG wrote:
A decline in creativity?
Apart from that, one could talk about the lack of creativity regarding the introduction of completely new/never-seen-before products/techniques/etc. I don't know how bad the situation is... I read about new and exciting products being launched every now and then, and I'm sure the media doesn't even cover half of the new innovations in the world.

It is very difficult to get exposure for a new product. You are correct that the media does not care unless it is some hi-tech gadget or from a big company that pays them for the "news" spot. I finally got a break for my product [www] on July 13th when it was used in a segment on the "Rachael Ray" show! I am still looking for copy of the show.

@trousersalive:
In the film, yes. They remake old movies all the time. In other places, creativity is alive. Just much of it does not get publicity. I am a mechanical engineer. I see alot of new production equipment developed as well as new products, like mine, produced.

@missdixy:
I agree that kids don't use their imagination enough. That is the parents & teachers fault.
CrimsonStrange
Wow, there are some really good responses to the original post.

I've gotta agree with what I've read thus far, and I think that one of the main killers of creativity nowadays is... complacency; just taking what's offered and being satisfied with the results, or feeling "unqualified" to raise any objections if the current product/solution doesn't work properly.
It's the lack of intuition to discover the need for something different/better and the lack of willingness to get up & DO something about filling that need.

In my experiences, I've discovered that lack of intuition seems to be the most prevalent problem, keeping a better solution at bay.
(And this applies to physical products, local/global situations, government... the list is endless.)
It's as if people don't seem to realize that they can make the difference - that they can come up with an idea on their own, instead of waiting for the "Powers-That-Be" to release version 2.0 and hope that they got all the bugs out of it.
snowboardalliance
http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/the_colbert_report/index.jhtml

Check out the interview with Andrew Keen, I think it's pretty relevant, although I don't agree with this guy at all. Any thoughts on him?
brokenadvice
I have to say that technology has changed the venue of creativity. Look at YouTube. What would these people have done a decade ago? These might have been the people pretending to be on TV with cardboard boxes. And our web designers, they might have been the finger painters.
Insanity
Strange, a few years ago, this was the essay prompt for my SAT writing section.
ankitdatashn
Hi trouseralive,

I don't agree to what you say that world is experiencing decline of creativity.

The reason I say this is because you get new inventions everyday, new dicoveries, new persons born everyday. And I must say every person is unique in every way and thus unique are his talents. Say for example there is a person A born. He is 20% poet, 30% athelete, 30% foodie, 20% singer and say there is another person born who is 0% poet, 50% athelete, 10% foodie, 40% actor. Thus both will show different kind of creativity. I mean it is difficult to express this in words but try to imagine what I want to convey.

Also I want to say that the creativity is not decreasing but the traditions and styles keep coming back after few years. So don't confuse style with creativity. Say for example cross checked shirts are getting famous, you might say designers lack creativity because they don't make new designs, but designers make just what people want.

So to sum it all I want to say that we are not lacking creativity but getting more of it by each passing day!!
amicalindia
One of the reasons is the information overflow happening in the world. it stagnates the original thinking. When a person tries to solve a problem or contemplate a theory. He is already influenced by the existing information flow around him.

Also the expression of that creative desire changes from person to person and from generation to genaration. Surely what da vinchi or michealangelo did few centuries back cannot be compared with flash animations or digital paintings of today.
Jaan
I AGREE THIS IS HAPPENING EVERYWHERE!!! INFORMATION OVERFLOW. There are so many combinations of things it is hard to come up with something original anymore!!!
THANK YOU FOR POINTING THIS OUT.

I don't think this can be fixed, it will pass with time.

Cheers.
{name here}
trousersalive wrote:
I am sure many of you have noticed that what is old becomes new every one or two generations. I don't have any problem with it, considering I am fascinated by the retro-modern movement. But I am forced to wonder, is the world experiencing a decline in creativity?

Well consider this situation:
In the 1920s America was enjoying great prosperity due to the use of Credit and the newly formed Stock market. One of the most popular devices at that period was the humble device known as a toaster. Many innovative and playful designs were made during this time of prosperity and many bought them. But then the great depression came along and people had no use for the device, and it was eventually forgotten by the new generation which had little knowlege of the time of prosperity.

Fast foward. 1950s. America has the highest plateau of economic prosperity it ever had. Inventions from the previous era are being redisovered by those which were poor at the time. Now toasters are a "new" invention for the crowd, particularily youth who didn't experience the item when they could obtain it (i.e. they spent their childhood in the great depression, and now as teenagers they are seeing these new and great things come out they haven't seen before).
Donutey
In general it's been the decline of individualism, everyone going along the same path reduces the overal number of creative individuals. I'm sure during a time with more frontiers more creative individuals would result.
hsadmin
I don't think creativity levels are going down, it's just that, 20 years ago, there was so many things that hadn't been 'created' yet. Now, there's not to much left to create.
Cddhesh
I agree with you till some extent,Firms who is designing new products are switching to component driven model,meaning a model in which you can add new features without effecting old ones.This will go on till any one takes a risk to design a completely new product based on new principle and inventions.
m00tmuffin
I think that people are always going to find inspiration in things long past. Good design resonates throughout decades. It's just up to the designers and artists to only find inspiration in such design, not directly borrow from it. There are people that do both of these things, and I think they always have.

As for the decilne of creativity itself, I think that the issue is either in regards to the cyclical nature of creativeness in general (within a single person or on a whole) as well as the fact that at least in the design world, what the customer wants is not what is always the most creative (a logo/design/etc.) which can leave the artistically-inclined wanting a little more from design seen by people en masse.

There's always something new happening, someone coming up with something that makes an impact, and I don't think there is anyway that this will or ever could decline. I think that creativity is well and alive, even if you have to take an extra moment to look for it.
Davidgr1200
Just look at the number of different freeware and shareware programs out there. Each and every one is an example of someone being creative. I think what has happened is thatthe areas of creativity have changed. People are being creative on the internet now, and more people are having the opportunity to be creative.
dacode
Hello All,

I would see this "decline of creativity" as the result of different parameters having said before :

> information overflow
> evolution of standards of living (in rich countries)
> business and economic models
> ...

People don't get less creative, it's just that the (business) world around them tend to make them think that something, somewhere, is already there to fullfill their needs, whatever it could be.

Be creative, but in a way that we want you to be : buy our products.
riv_
There is nothing new under the sun.
While this may be an unoriginal response to your question, ;P I'm sure it is valid nonetheless.
Not only does history repeat itself: ie- we as human beings "create" according to certain predictable patterns, but we also live in a culture where it is harder and harder to distinguish.
Technology and a global culture/marketplace mean that we are exposed to new ideas at such a rate, that a truly creative thing may be lost in the fray.
I suggest (in the vein as some previous posters) that we are not, in fact, less creative, but are merely inundated with so many new ideas, that a truly original thing is harder to find AND harder to recognize... a bit of a needle in a haystack.
vln004
trousersalive wrote:

simply put. yes. I do believe there is a crazy shortage of creativity. i blame it mostly on television.
juliemiller42
i think so. especially in the music world. very few singers are actually artists, and everything is overproduced. it's all trying to fit into the mold.
dayveday
Is it really a decline in creativity to bring something back 'from the dead'? I know what you're saying - when you do reuse an idea it's not being created from scratch, but nothing can be brought back exactly the same way. Many times new products/fashions are based on old ideas, and use those ideas for inspiration, but bring something new and unique also. Sometimes breathing life into something forgotten is very creative indeed!
ninjakannon
There's a phrase: "There's nothing new under the sun".

If you think about it that appears true. Very often new things are just old creations reintroduced, slightly altered or improved.

I don't feel that we are suffering a decline in creativity, it's just that very often you may come up with an idea that you think is original only to find that it's already been patented by someone else. There's ingenious out there and many new ideas that do appear to fill areas not covered by the market. But when it comes down to it are not all ideas just a use of what's already available?

Being human we can only imagine things which we have experienced in some way; it's impossible not to! Therefore when you do create something new technically it isn't completely original. However, taking websites as an example: YouTube combined previous elements from other sites and sprung up as we know it today: user submitted videos. There, I'm sure, will be another 'next big thing' after YouTube and that will most likely be 'new' but just combining old elements.

There is still creativity, but most things now are not 100% new, that's all. In terms of fashion there isn't much new to add; most styles have already been thought up and so they just come at us again in waves. Yet there are new ideas, like clothing with moving light displays and air guitar t-shirts.
phpc0d3r
I think kids are as creative as ever.
We would build castles out of books.
And race car tracks out of anything we could get our hands on.
Given their will always be your lazy type.
Who watches tv 24/7.

But lately creativity of that sort has been stiffened in adults. It has become a stigma to have the broad creativity of a child. Adults try to follow all the rules which limits the creativity. Some adults such as artists, musicians, actors have to be creative, It's in their job description. But office jobs tend to do just enough to get by.
sabe
Creativity...... Retro....

This is a very interesting topic. I am in education & have noticed that "kids" that are in school have not changed in many ways. Our current American society, I don't think this is true in other areas of the world", we have become so over protective that they have not had a chance to explore their creativity.

The days of " Hay, mom, I'm going to the lake with Billy. I'll see 'ya at dinner" are gone. Now that mom would be considered negligent & CPS would take the kid away. So.... kids are told what to do 24/7. Where is the think time? When can we make mistakes w/o being judged or graded?

Creativity is not lost just not given as much time to bloom.
aprivateaccount
there are alot of creativity to look out for now,
just that not alot of them have the outlet to showcase them.
one of my favourite new age artist would be olafur eliasson
who isn't that known in my country at all.
he did this installation that you may have seen it at the louis vuitton stores 2 seasons back with a large bulb that looks like an eye.
his concept for it was very interesting.

there are also alot of new genres of film/music to be seen and heard.
you just have to find a way to access them.
(:
ThreeRight
missdixy wrote:
Sort of.
I remember that when I was a child (which really wasn't ALL that long ago, but still) my best friend and I would create her (or my) living room into a huge barbie house. We would use pencils and video cassettes to create walls and halls, and we would fold and bunch up towels to make sofas for the living room, and etc. We would always get creative. Now, I see today's children, and either they are playing or doing something which doesn't normally involve creativity (watching TV, playing video games, being online etc.) or they have a bunch of toy sofas and toy barbie houses, etc.

Also, it doesn't help that children live a life where they can't stand to be "bored" or just sit and think and dwell on their own thoughts. They always want to be doing something.

2 things,

1st. Isn't "Always wanting to do something" a good thing?

2nd. Some computer games DO involve "creativity" mostly the games where it pits one player against another. Usually, in a computer game, the player and the opponent both has the option/tools to win. The one who chooses the right option/tools and is able to use them effectively wins. You basically outsmart your opponent.

anyone stop to wonder what to be creative means? do you ALL consider yourselves to be creative? Do you think others consider YOU to be creative? WHO HERE THINKS THEY ARE NOT CREATIVE!?! Who is this THEY that your talking about that ISN'T creative? Is EVERYONE creative? is NO ONE creative...? Are you trying to say "I AM MORE CREATIVE SO I AM SOO SUPERIOUR THEN ALL OF YOU!!!"?
trousersalive
Old styles and ideas can often be updated and improved on with new technologies and materials. Of course this is not to say that they should be. such as coughstarwarscough.
Tom7
brokenadvice wrote:
I have to say that technology has changed the venue of creativity. Look at YouTube. What would these people have done a decade ago? These might have been the people pretending to be on TV with cardboard boxes. And our web designers, they might have been the finger painters.

lol thats a very interesting look at it.
tidruG
Quote:
anyone stop to wonder what to be creative means? do you ALL consider yourselves to be creative? Do you think others consider YOU to be creative? WHO HERE THINKS THEY ARE NOT CREATIVE!?! Who is this THEY that your talking about that ISN'T creative? Is EVERYONE creative? is NO ONE creative...? Are you trying to say "I AM MORE CREATIVE SO I AM SOO SUPERIOUR THEN ALL OF YOU!!!"?

Woah, where'd all the capital letters come from?
Anyway.... I believe creativity means a whole bunch of things ranging from doing one thing in a completely new way, or making or doing something completely new.
I certainly do consider myself to be creative. And others do consider me to be quite creative as well. Most of this opinion is formed after they read my poems or other writing. I think everyone can be creative, but I certainly think that not everyone is creative. There are several people who just take what's offered to them, and never try to do things in a new way. And I don't know who you asked that last question to, but no, I do not consider myself superior just because I think I'm creative.
sandyclaus
Money and power seek stability which means less change in places where money and power concentrate. I'm sure the net effect of globalization is a flattening innovation curve.

Also, Television is a tool for smoothing out differences, smudging tastes and perceptions. Creativity does not come from commercial television. The Internet is the most revolutionary force going right now. I expect to see more efforts to regulate and neuter it.
furtasacra
This IS an interesting thread, with a lot of different opinions. But I have a question. How do you define creativity?

Creativity can be a purely intellectual exercise; I believe the current term is "thinking outside of the box" even though that seems to be applied primarily to the advertising industry and the desperate extremes that ad agencies will go to to get our attention.

What about actual artists? Is there still a place in society for people who are no earthly good for anything but writing stories, or music? Or painting pictures?

Long ago, (think ancient Greece, Rome, and Egypt) artists mooched off of rich people. The rich people got social status for having good art in their homes.

Millennia later, it still works the same way, for the most part, but artists can rarely find wealthy individuals to support them. Now they have to depend on the whims of corporate America and the government... the line between the two is getting narrower and narrower by the day... don't let me get started on Dubya wanting to be Presidente for Life.

Just like painters in Renaissance Italy were expected to omit warts, wrinkles, and deformities when making portraits of their patrons, present-day American artists (and journalists) are expected to leave out hypocrisy, racism, pedophilia, and a huge, smelly laundry list of repulsive flaws when talking about our so-called representatives in our government.

Right now, artists are reviled and abused. That's probably a good thing, in the long run, but that's another post for another day.
frozenhead
Well, I think the proper term for "creativity" nowadays is being more innovative in existing created ideas.

There are a lot of things made now that are actually based on original concepts and ideas that worth and useful. I think I would agree with the argument that decline in creativity is so rampant today and I would agree too that being innovative is more practical.
explosive
i think creativity declines because of this consumption society and populer culture but we can not recognize this because of huge human technical accumulation and making number of many innovation of this accumulation called big invention
ThreeRight
I think creativity shows up in a different way in each generations, like in the 1970s, theres the hippies... and 1980... err... LOL! i cant remember it off the top of my head right now. *i remembered the hippies tho.. yay hippies! Smile*

because creativity is different by each generations, i think that each generation is looking for their own version of "creativity" and not the creativeness thats actually going on at that time, and so hey seem to see less creativity as they grow older.
Liu
To those who think there is a decline of creativity:

Are you guys living under a rock?
ninjakannon
Liu wrote:
To those who think there is a decline of creativity:

Are you guys living under a rock?

I live under a rock! God, it's cramped here - hardly any room to live, let alone keep a computer. I'm feeling a bit flat lately too, my doctor says this might be related to where I live...
zakarykinnaird
Creativity is something that is only active when you are very young. Once the real world has its hold on ones mind, the subjective takes over. We see what we want to see, we create as we think we can create.
ninjakannon
zakarykinnaird wrote:
Creativity is something that is only active when you are very young. Once the real world has its hold on ones mind, the subjective takes over. We see what we want to see, we create as we think we can create.

I disagree.

I believe that the young are more creative than the old, but not that older people have no creativity. I think this comes down to experience; younger people have less experience so there is more to invent, think up. People who have greater experience - thus, those who are older - will have less left up to the imagination because they will know, have seen and understand more about the world.

Some people go on being very creative up until they die. Also, I think this loss of creativity is only apparent in certain fields - art, for example, is not one (or at least, if it is affected, it is not affected such that you cannot be creative but that you create things more linked in with your experiences).
Possum
Hi

All over the world creativity is Exploding. Especially in Asia. And very especially China. Australia too is doing remarkable things.

Although I certainly respect any country where Steve Wozniak was a citizen I (I have his book: autographed) I worry about the American creativity. Not that it doesn't exist. Its still there. Its just the bureaucracy there. Too many to many law suits.

Cheers Possum
arunshanker
social entrepreneurs have to be creative as a goal-setting visionaries and as a problem solver capable of engineering visions into reality. Creativity is not a quality that suddenly appears. Among the questions we might ask: Does this individual have a vision of how he or she can meet some human need better than it has been met before? Does the candidate have a history of creating other new visions?
Are these essential qualities for success in life
amicalindia
Possum wrote:
Hi

All over the world creativity is Exploding. Especially in Asia. And very especially China. Australia too is doing remarkable things.

Although I certainly respect any country where Steve Wozniak was a citizen I (I have his book: autographed) I worry about the American creativity. Not that it doesn't exist. Its still there. Its just the bureaucracy there. Too many to many law suits.

Cheers Possum

I completely agree with you. Creativity cannot and will not decline till the end of human race. Only the form and expression of that creativity changes with the advent of time.
inphurno
one problem about creativity is that it has to be market oriented now... with overall control of almost all major media outlets (tv, radio, newspapers and magazines) by a very small and narrow minded segment of the population, whos only interest is to generate revenues its hard to break from "the main stream". if things go too far corporate america wont let this to be fed to the masses (while they only directly control many parts of the west they also set the "trends" and thusly indirectly control a vast majority of the media outlets). Even painters can easily be neutralised because exhibitions in art galeries are sponsored (by who? your friendly multinational) and can thusly be censored. so this is how it goes for what is now called "art"...

with respect to scientific creativity while results are censored, i feel its not as bad as issues faced by artists... the thing is that in most universities research is becoming more and more of a cash cow and the main way that they us to determine what departments get money and what departments get closed down. one of my friends told me recently that they have closed the math and physics department in my old university. they are still offering courses but the professors there are basically second class because they bring in reasearch money like our profitable engineering and bio-chem departments (or maybe they should call them divisions!) the newly elected dean is an ex ceo and bother to talk to dirty students especially those that come from our school's newspapers. all of this to say that well maybe educational creativity is also being affected....
j_f_k
I think its got to do with large companies less willing to take risks. Its much easier for a producer to rehash an old idea (eg recycling 60's tv shows for the movies), sequels etc than it is to take the risk on a new idea.

A classic example is the number of publishing houses that turned down harry potter, before Bloomsbury, then a 2-bit unknown company that probably took it only because they had nothing better at the time, got lucky.

The reason for the risk is that there is more at stake. Author contracts are worth more, films cost a lot more to make so mistakes are very expensive.

It is of course, a pity - there must be lots of brilliant harry-potter type ideas that have never seen the light of day because of this. Hopefully internet publishing will change this when/if it becomes more mainstream.
furtasacra
zakarykinnaird wrote:

If you truly believe that, you are probably a very unhappy person, living in a tiny grey cell that you made for yourself. Children live in a world of explosive noises and bright colors, because everything is shiny, bright and new when you're a little kid.

I envy them... I make an EFFORT to look at commonplace things like a little kid would see them. It's astonishing how many things are shiny and pretty if you REALLY LOOK at them like you've never seen them before. That's how I take interesting photographs.
cornga56
You could definitely view this period as a decline in creativity or simply as a time where old stuff is new again without any true bearing on creativity, but more to do with a shift of focus on looking to the past. Every now and again personally and socially we take a few steps ahead, then glance back at our past and bring old stuff to light again to remind us of lessons we've learned. I think soon after the peak of this old is new movement we'll see another shift towards novelty and the modern. It's only natural really, but it's interesting why it happens.
explosive
yeah for children everything is new and exciting in this world and when they become older generally bored and called this sucking world stinks... but the other keeps their view and creativity Shocked and can take nobel price but wtf also they are still child too...
sabe
j_f_k wrote:
I think its got to do with large companies less willing to take risks. Its much easier for a producer to rehash an old idea (eg recycling 60's tv shows for the movies), sequels etc than it is to take the risk on a new idea.

A classic example is the number of publishing houses that turned down harry potter, before Bloomsbury, then a 2-bit unknown company that probably took it only because they had nothing better at the time, got lucky.

The reason for the risk is that there is more at stake. Author contracts are worth more, films cost a lot more to make so mistakes are very expensive.

It is of course, a pity - there must be lots of brilliant harry-potter type ideas that have never seen the light of day because of this. Hopefully internet publishing will change this when/if it becomes more mainstream.

Did you guys read the world view from above? Creativity in the US does not include everybody. Corporate America does not dominate creativity. Just in the US and other "leading" nations. Much of the creativity will be coming from other nations. That is why the US is not the leader in many ways. eg. Japan's Internet is faster, cheaper, and more available. We invented it but Corporate interests are not allowing it to bloom as fast as it is in other nations.

That is also why more and more of the techies have accents. Americans are not any less innovative. We just don't have the practice nor the drive to create. We are too fat, rich, and apathetic.
Mannix
I believe that the current patent laws and the way people can sue in a "the most money to the lawyer wins" has devastated the day of the individual inventor. ...Even if they had a solid claim, a typical individual certainly can't withstand the brutal force of years of deliberation in court. ...Much less if they have to sue to protect their Intellectual Property in the first place. ...It's really rather sad...
Soulfire
I'm not so sure if it's a decline in creativity or the fact that because human communications and technology have drastically increased the rate of information transfer, we have more and more "new" ideas and we're bound to repeat them at some point in time. I'm almost becoming a subscriber to the "Time Machine" theory, and that is that humans will become so advanced that we will have thought of virtually everything ... and begin to retrogress.
Bluedoll
Not an expert on the subject but I would go with decline in creativity presently. It doesn't have to stay that way though. Like you said old becomes new and maybe we all are in a transition and it will come around to that.

Also, new becomes old stuff. We are so wrapped up in things like the computer age with all it's marvels. Like anything that too will seem to feel old stuff despite all the hype. Our next stage may be to use what we have already and be more creative in different ways - perhaps?

What ever happens we can sit back and watch the current trend or just reach out ourselves, take the risk and be the creative ones - I suppose.

Wink true? Arrow what is a message bored? Idea it is sharing something on line Razz no, i am not a flirt Embarassed just expressing Rolling Eyes
sabe
Soulfire wrote:
I'm not so sure if it's a decline in creativity or the fact that because human communications and technology have drastically increased the rate of information transfer, we have more and more "new" ideas and we're bound to repeat them at some point in time. I'm almost becoming a subscriber to the "Time Machine" theory, and that is that humans will become so advanced that we will have thought of virtually everything ... and begin to retrogress.

Let us not confuse quantity with quality. Just because we can get huge amounts of information does not mean it is creative. Just look at all the hype about Brittany S. I do not see any creativity in just spreading gossip.

I see many stories that are just the "Look at me" type of information. Very self centered and not well thought out. I think that the "information age" has produced quantity and not quality. If you have to take the time to typeset something you have to think about what you say. If you can just write it and publish it internationally I think people do not put the time to see how others will receive the message or even if it is worth broadcasting.

I have seen blogs that just talk about what people eat and stuff like that. How is that worth broadcasting? Unless you are a relative or just board, why should you take the bandwidth?

Enough of my rant. Confused What do you think?
azohoor
Oddly enough I just saw something of high relevance on TED:

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/197

As Starck so aptly describes with his accent, we're only halfway through our human evolution.

As bacteria 4 billion years ago we didn't know we'd be here now; and we won't know where we will be 4 billion years from now.

So, yes - there are new ideas under the sun. And yes- lots has to be done yet.

Are things on a decline? It assumes we're reaching some sort of steady-state. And I have a hard time seeing the world as such right now.
HalfBloodPrince
We're declining due to lack of drugs.
BrianElliott0218
trousersalive wrote:

Someone answered this thread with a reference to TED. TED is a huge mind melding creative outlook on ideas. It's a convention that has been going on for about 25 years or so, and brings together great minds to share their thoughts, both large and small, about life and technology, the future and where the human race came from and where we're headed.

Yes, there seems to be less Creativity in the world today. Much of this is based on our schools and how they are dealing with teaching our children how to use their brains. Overall the system is failing. There is a slow decline. There are several factors that have been brought up, and none are a surprise: Governmental over involvement in our schools' policies (think: No Child Left behind) makes for a bureaucratic baby sitting system that stunts creativity instead of nurturing it. The ills of this system are becoming very large problems.
Making mistakes is shunned, and so risk is not taken. Creativity involves a lot of risk. Ask an artist...
Television makes up for any child being different by homogenizing our culture into nothing worth having. It also contributes to an overwhelmingly apathetic citizenry.

We are involved in the mental castration of our country. Few people today have the means to break out of all the useless drivel that has become our entertainment and ultimately our lives.

There are some solutions... Walk away from the TV. Play some games with your family or friends. Do something artistic. Draw, paint, dance, sing, write a story... It's not for anyone else, just for you. Do something with other people, and talk about it. We don't talk about things anymore, other than the drivel available. Who cares what Britney Spears did last night? I don't.

Watch some of the TED videos, and wake up your mind to the possibilities that are available. I have seen only a few of the segments and they are very moving. Mentally and emotionally. Everyone who reads this entry should try watching the Ken Robinson talk entitled, "Do schools kill creativity?"
www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG9CE55wbtY It's an awesome eye opener...

There is a site called Kluster.com that allows us all to be involved in the creation process for new ideas to become products. Check it out...

Keep thinking people! We need to do more of it! Smile

~BE
ccube921
Men can fly in times of need (metaphorically speaking). Creativity invention and many great things sprout from necessity which is not such a big thing at the moment.