FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What do I need to go wirelessinternet on laptopw/out range

Teri
Hi, I am starting school and want to be able to work on the internet with my laptop anywhere I go.What hardware do I need - Wireless router is just for home isn't it, wireless card will it work alone or with what other equipment. Thanks for helping if you can!
knullbar
Teri wrote:
Hi, I am starting school and want to be able to work on the internet with my laptop anywhere I go.What hardware do I need - Wireless router is just for home isn't it, wireless card will it work alone or with what other equipment. Thanks for helping if you can!

You need a wireless card, which are usually inbuilt in the newer laptops on the market. However, if you've gotten an old laptop, I'd advice you to buy a portable wireless USB-card.
Getting online anywhere you want could be a problem though, I don't know the ISP's in your country are building the 'Wireless-zone' as here in Sweden where we actually can connect to the cyberspace anywhere.

However, the easiest would be to make a search and choose the best connection in windows own wireless software. So if you'd tell us more like are there any routers around where you want to connect with no encryptions and all that..

However I wish I helped you some though, if not defina the real problem because I actually had hard time figuring out what you really want..

Knullbar;*~
corey
Depending on where you live, it might be fine with just the laptop itself. I saw a keychain-sized wifi sniffer at Future Shop, a company owned by Best Buy that was quite inexpensive. If you want to have online access all the time, you'll have to get a Sattelite Phone and connect to the internet via that. Laughing
kuyman
Instead of buying a wireless card, I'd just suggest getting a descent mobile phone with bluetooth. Then your laptop which will most probably have bluetooth in it can sync with it. Then you can transfer data between your computer, the phone, and the Internet, effectively turning the phone into a modem. Unlimited Internet plans can usually be pretty cheap (20-30 dollar range for non smart phones) and are available through several different networks.

If you don't want all over Internet access, you'll probably be fine with just your laptop which will probably have a WiFi adapter of some sort built in. You can use that at anywhere with a proper wireless signal.

Best of luck!
shutup_alfredo
they have a programs like bitpim that allow you to use your phones data service as internet. another i buying a wireless card from a cellphone company and getting their internet services so you can access the internet from anywere, that way you don't relly on free wifi hotspots or other peoples interent for access.