FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help my kids are bipolar, adhd, odd,ocd

Teri
Hi, Is anyone else willing to talk about their problems with their kids? My brilliant beautiful boys are bipolar, adhd, oppositional defiant, one is obsessive compulsive, and the other depressed. They are only 4 and 6 and I love them unbelievably but this is really hard to deal with for them and me. My four year old made it up onto the roof at 18 months old and one year later you couldn't keep him off. He thinks he can not be hurt and is very impulsive and seeks the high of high places. They also fight to hurt eachother. anyone have any good ideas. Most ideas for behavior management are for compliant kids which mine are not. I have a ton of books, read most, applied some, taken some college classes pertaining to psychology and am now starting school to become and RN because God know's I'll need it with my boys. I'd love to trade stories with someone and get ideas that have worked with their difficult kids.
Blnd4lyfe
Hey Teri,

I won't be much help I can tell you that already but I may have some tid bits of info that MAY help you.

As a child also through the ages of 4 and 12 I had major ADHD, I hated it. And now due to school and work I came up with a case of anxiety/depression so its been tough.
But I came to realize that some medications do increase problems of some disorders.

I.E: Some anti-depressants can cause someone to be more depressed than they were before and that medications that are meant to treat ADHD and things of the like may cause that person to become very emotional, which was in my case, extremely violent and I broke down alot, crying for hours on end.

Keep an eye out for hints at attitudes and stuff alike to that that I have described if your children do take medication.

Of course, I'm betting everything that you know this already but in case you don't I posted this in hopes that it would help you a bit. I apologize for not being able to refer to any of the other problems ( bipolar, ocd and Odd ) I do wish I could be more of a help. Sad

As for the climbing on roofs part, I think all young boys are like that. I know for a fact I did that stuff as a kid and thought I couldn't be touched even if I did fall a hundred feet or so. Wink

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU TERI
urbanbuddha
Were your children properly diagnosed by a clinical psychologist? If so, I think you should really talk to the doctor who gave your children these diagnoses about the options and support systems available in your community. I don't think it is something you can deal with on your own.

Medication can help with immediate problems, but I think some cognitive-behavioural therapy is needed (especially for someone who is depressed).
Jaan
Sucks to be you.

Don't take advice from forums.

Talk to your phsycologist/doctor person. LOL GOOD LUCK DEALING WITH THE ****S