FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Looking for a Media Player

william
In the next month or two, I plan on buying a portable media player. I have an old mp3 player lying around, but with it's small amount of memory, I really can't put much on it. Plus, it feels like that it's about to die. Anyhow, I have been searching for players for quite awhile. I've helped tons of people find players perfect for their needs, however, I can't seem to do the same for myself. (Probably because I have some specific requirements).

Here are the features it needs:
-30 GB of Storage (minimum), and a card slot would be nice.
-~2.5"-3.5" Screen with a decent resolution
-Support for .mp3, .jpg, .mpg are required and support for .wma, .ogg, .gif, .png, .wmv, .avi, .flv would be nice.
-Line in recording for both audio and video
-Wi-Fi with a mobile web browser and ability to download songs from music sites.

Those are the required features. The main limitation seems to be the screen size. Apparently, all of these features can't be found on something that small.

The two players that really appeal to me are the Archos 404/405 and the Archos 604/605 Wifi. I was also interested in the Toshiba Gigabeat S, but my interest diminished due to the lack of features. The Archos 404/405 has most of the features I want, but lacks the essential Wifi. The Archos 604/605 Wifi has everything I want, and is one of the players I would dream of, but the 4.3" screen is a bit large. I haven't seen one of them in person, so if it ends up being an OK size, I'll go for it.

Anyway, does anybody know of any other players with these features? I don't want the MSRP to go beyond $300.

Thanks
Jaan
Nothing *good* with the features you want.
Except for the iPhone. It's a bit pricey but it has everything you want. That's the only decent solution for you atm, everything else is crap.

You can try shelling out a few grand for one of em new samsung q1 pocket pc's.

If all you want is music then just get an ipod shuffle.
william
Well, the iPhone doesn't even come close to the storage I want. Plus, I have no need for the cell phone features of it. And I don't need just music, I'll be storing movies and a LOT of recorded television. The Archos 604/605 Wifi have everything I want, just too big for my tastes (from what I can tell from images).

Oh, by the way, does anybody own an Archos 604/605? I'd like to know how portable it is and how comfortably it fits into your pockets.
Helios
None of those big players are too comfortable. Hmm, how about Toshiba Gigabeat ?
It is relatively small and has lots of storage.
munkey_boy
Get a PDA that supports external hard drives. Laughing
william
Well, the Gigabeat has always appealed to me, the only problem is the lack of WiFi. I'm drooling over the concept as more players utilize it. It seems that my only realistic choice is the Archos 604/605 Wifi. Anybody else have experience with their players?
Jaan
http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/mobilecomputing/ultramobile/np_q1_v000suk.asp
brianfast
http://www.cowonamerica.com/ They make good MP3 players with support for all formats. Smile
william
Thanks guys. Well, the Samsung Q1 is way out of my price range, and it's just too big. Oh, and Cowon is a really good company, no doubt there. I've recommended their D2 to a lot of people. However, none of their players seem to match what I want.

Well, it's starting to look as if the Archos 604/605 Wifi comes the closest to matching my needs. I just need to see one in person to find out if it's an acceptable size.
snowboardalliance
william wrote:
Thanks guys. Well, the Samsung Q1 is way out of my price range, and it's just too big. Oh, and Cowon is a really good company, no doubt there. I've recommended their D2 to a lot of people. However, none of their players seem to match what I want.

Well, it's starting to look as if the Archos 604/605 Wifi comes the closest to matching my needs. I just need to see one in person to find out if it's an acceptable size.

http://www.archos.com/products/video/archos_604wifi/tech_specs.html?country=global&lang=en

There are the dimensions, so u could trace that out on paper or something to visualize it
william
@snowboardalliance

Thanks for that. My problem, though, is that although I could picture it, still doesn't work in real world usage (unless I have something with similar dimensions and weight).

By the way, I remember seeing another player a few months back. If I recall correctly, it had Wi-Fi, 30 GB storage, and I think a 3.5" screen. Anyone know of something similar?