FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Elton John Wants To Shut Down the Internet

theem
POP legend Elton John wants the internet CLOSED DOWN.
Quote:

Never one to keep his opinions to himself, the Rocket Man has waded into cyberspace with all guns blazing. He claims it is destroying good music, saying:

"The internet has stopped people from going out and being with each other, creating stuff. Instead they sit at home and make their own records, which is sometimes OK but it doesn't bode well for long-term artistic vision. It's just a means to an end. We're talking about things that are going to change the world and change the way people listen to music and that's not going to happen with people blogging on the internet. I mean, get out there - communicate. Hopefully the next movement in music will tear down the internet. Let's get out in the streets and march and protest instead of sitting at home and blogging. I do think it would be an incredible experiment to shut down the whole internet for five years and see what sort of art is produced over that span. There's too much technology available. I'm sure, as far as music goes, it would be much more interesting than it is today."

Multi-millionaire Elton, who turned 60 earlier this year, has admitted in the past that he is a bit behind the times. The Grammy award-winner was once quoted as saying: "I am the biggest technophobe of all time. I don't have a mobile phone or an iPod or anything. I am such a Luddite when it comes to making music. All I can do is write at the piano."

Sales of Elton's last album The Captain & The Kid were disappointing it barely shifted 100,000 copies. And in the past Sir Elt has opposed illegal downloading of his music from the net. But the flamboyant singer has embraced the web in other ways. The 60th birthday concert Sir Elton played to a 20,000-strong crowd at New York's Madison Square Garden was streamed live over the internet. The singer also announced earlier this year that his entire back catalogue of albums would be made available for digital download.

The internet has played a huge role in kick-starting the careers of some of Britain's best new talent. Sandi Thom shot to fame after broadcasting webcam concerts from her London basement flat, while both the Arctic Monkeys and Lily Allen acknowledge the part played by the web in their success. But Elton also complained about the quality of music being released. He said: "In the early Seventies there were at least ten albums released every week that were fantastic. Now you're lucky to find ten albums a year of that quality. And there are more albums released each week now than there were then."

I guess thats what Elt would call a net loss . . .Very Happy
Source : The Sun Online
DoctorBeaver
I don't think it's so much the internet ruining music as computers. I'm a trained musician and I despair at the standard of so-called music these days. I think it's nice that those without musical training can produce tracks, but, at the same time, a lot of what I hear on the radio these days is, to be blunt, utter crap.

You get the same 4 or 8 bars repeated over and over with either a girl trying to improvise a tune over it (often out of tune) or some guy with a boring voice talking unintelligibly. That's not music. Music is someone playing an instrument or singing properly. Computer music is soulless.
Helios
DoctorBeaver wrote:
I don't think it's so much the internet ruining music as computers. I'm a trained musician and I despair at the standard of so-called music these days. I think it's nice that those without musical training can produce tracks, but, at the same time, a lot of what I hear on the radio these days is, to be blunt, utter crap.

You get the same 4 or 8 bars repeated over and over with either a girl trying to improvise a tune over it (often out of tune) or some guy with a boring voice talking unintelligibly. That's not music. Music is someone playing an instrument or singing properly. Computer music is soulless.

Couldn't agree more.
sonam
Quote:
Multi-millionaire Elton, who turned 60 earlier this year, has admitted in the past that he is a bit behind the times.

He is one selfish man. He is looking only his side of living. What is with programers, electronic ing. etc.? Btw, if he give me half milion I will close my lap forever. No more internet, mobiles, emails.

P.S.
And I will buy all his albums. Very Happy

Sonam
ReubenWilliams
DoctorBeaver wrote:

a computer can improve upon many instruments. The day synths were made commerically avaliable was a great day and pop music took a leap forward, from aphex twin to kylie monogue thoose smooth whooshing and rushing sounds which reach such a range of frequencies can only be electronically generated i'm afraid. And as for computer based drum beats, they have been responsible for the frenzied dance music that we know and love, bands like the prodigy or fatboy slim for example would be impossible were it not for computers. And even earlier things like roxy music, david bowies later work, queen, radiohead (ok they are quite recent) but i'm just trying to emphasise how many exiting and totally artistically Valid musicians use new technology. Quite simply it helps to create new sounds, its like people suddenly get given a whole new pallate of colours after painting in only a set range for a long time.

Admittedly when theese colors first become avaliable there will obviously be some people who will enjoy the noverlty of using theese new colours and you will get a lot of mediocre work produced exclusively in the new colours. However this is no different from the mediocre work that was produced in the old colours, the difference is that dedicated painters now have more colours to work with. I think this seems to be a luddite reaction from people who are being nostalgic, Elton John claims there was 1 great album released every week in the seventies!!!!!!! Ok Elton, no crap then, banarama are a really credible group, david essex, art garfunkles solo career!!

Every age has its share of great performers, great songwriters and great musicians, and they crop up in different guises. I don't realistically see how any technology which enables young artists a greater degree of freedom to create and share their music can ever be a thing which could be said to be "hurting music"
Vanilla
To me, is kinda hard to communicate without internet. Forums, e-mails, blogs, websites... That's where I get to know new music, people and all kind of stuff. There's more action on the internet than on my real life... Laughing

sonam wrote:
He is one selfish man. He is looking only his side of living. What is with programers, electronic ing. etc.? Btw, if he give me half milion I will close my lap forever. No more internet, mobiles, emails.

P.S.
And I will buy all his albums. Very Happy

Sonam

Half million only?? That's not enough to me...
bigdan
That's up there in my book as one of the most hilarious things I have ever heard! Laughing

Shut down the web....good luck Elton, you're gonna need it! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Vrythramax
I don't even know how to comment on this. I am also a trained musician, some of my work has been published....I feel no ill will about it being on the Internet....and I think that's what (err...)Mr. John is really ticked off about. If not for the internet some people I know would never have heard me, so for me personally it's a boon.

I do not agree with piracy of music, some people pour their heart and soul into their work just to entertain an unappreciative audience...they deserve to be compensated for the passion they put forth. For some the personal cost is much greater than the monetary gain.

As for shutting down the Internet over what this one individual thinks is a loss of creativity, and "bonding" with others....he's a bloody fool.
The_Gamer294
TOUGH, It's staying. Theres no way one person can take down the whole internet. Maybe the head of w3c... Or a terrorist.. meh, maybe he can do it... Very Happy
scotty
His only motivation for writing that was money. He's cheesed off because people are listening to his music without paying for it. The fact remains that I hear new music on the radio, not the internet.

The notion of "turning off" the internet is absolute lunacy. Business would be crippled without it and our productivity would be slashed. It is totally the wrong way to approach a lack of creativity.
truespeed
Music is changing,not just the way it is produced,but the way it is distributed,but then music has always changed,im sure there were people around 1981 when syntheseisers were first used saying the same things,and when cd's first came out,im sure there were people bemoaning the death of vinyl,and saying that music has become soulless,i think eltons just having a moan and showing his age. We will all be like elton one day.
DoctorBeaver
ReubenWilliams wrote:
DoctorBeaver wrote:

a computer can improve upon many instruments. The day synths were made commerically avaliable was a great day and pop music took a leap forward, from aphex twin to kylie monogue thoose smooth whooshing and rushing sounds which reach such a range of frequencies can only be electronically generated i'm afraid. And as for computer based drum beats, they have been responsible for the frenzied dance music that we know and love, bands like the prodigy or fatboy slim for example would be impossible were it not for computers. And even earlier things like roxy music, david bowies later work, queen, radiohead (ok they are quite recent) but i'm just trying to emphasise how many exiting and totally artistically Valid musicians use new technology. Quite simply it helps to create new sounds, its like people suddenly get given a whole new pallate of colours after painting in only a set range for a long time.

Admittedly when theese colors first become avaliable there will obviously be some people who will enjoy the noverlty of using theese new colours and you will get a lot of mediocre work produced exclusively in the new colours. However this is no different from the mediocre work that was produced in the old colours, the difference is that dedicated painters now have more colours to work with. I think this seems to be a luddite reaction from people who are being nostalgic, Elton John claims there was 1 great album released every week in the seventies!!!!!!! Ok Elton, no crap then, banarama are a really credible group, david essex, art garfunkles solo career!!

Every age has its share of great performers, great songwriters and great musicians, and they crop up in different guises. I don't realistically see how any technology which enables young artists a greater degree of freedom to create and share their music can ever be a thing which could be said to be "hurting music"

I don't have a problem with electronic instruments or even electronic enhancement of instruments (I'm a musician myself and I've got lots of synthesisers, guitar FX etc). I'm a big fan of Jean Michelle Jarre, Van Gellis, Rick Wakeman etc.; but those guys actually play their instruments. What I do have a problem with is someone stealing a few bars from someone else's music, using a computer to repeat it over and over again with horrible drum and clapping sounds, talking over it or wailing cacophonously, and claiming to be a musician/singer. Most of them probably wouldn't know a real instrument if it jumped up and bit them on the nose!

To my mind much modern chart "music" no more an artform than a paint-by-numbers kit with only 1 colour!

Incidentally, I don't just like melodious music. I love listening to Schonberg, Bartok and the like.
achowles
Yeah because there's no better reason to shut down the internet than rich people's continued profiteering. He didn't even try to wrap it up and disguise it as a legitimate complaint. No wonder his albums aren't selling anymore. People have lost all respect for him.

That's just incredibly narrow minded, self absorbed and very ignorant. Especially if he thinks that it would benefit rising talent and not just those who have already made it. But I doubt he does. He's just watching out for number one and number one is starting to look like a number two.

I will point out though that he was only speaking hypothetically. No doubt he would welcome the shut down were it to happen (not that it's really possible, even hypothetically) but it's not something he seems to be pushing for.
Vrythramax
I couldn't agree more with DoctorBeaver....I cringe everytime I hear some music that is simply based on digital sampling. For me THAT is soul-less.

I heard a version of a classic rock tune called "A lighter shade of pale" (Procol Harem) (SP?) done with digital sampling and renamed "A lighter shade of biege" by a rap group....it almost made me want to cry.
ocalhoun
Quote:

Let's get out in the streets and march and protest instead of sitting at home and blogging. I do think it would be an incredible experiment to shut down the whole internet for five years and see what sort of art is produced over that span. There's too much technology available.

Heh, he thinks it would actually be possible to shut down the Internet by protesting it?
Reasons why that will never work, even if you could gather enough support for it:
1: It is used by millions, or is it billions, around the world every day, and they don't want it shut down.
2: It is essential to the daily operations of many large corporations, meaning that there's a lot of big money wanting it to stay up.
3: It was originally a project of the US military, and they have a vested interest in keeping it up as well.

So, some protests are going to override those three huge powers trying to keep it running?
eggg
ocalhoun wrote:
Quote:

Let's get out in the streets and march and protest instead of sitting at home and blogging. I do think it would be an incredible experiment to shut down the whole internet for five years and see what sort of art is produced over that span. There's too much technology available.

Heh, he thinks it would actually be possible to shut down the Internet by protesting it?

I think you misunderstood him. I believe he was saying that it would be better for people to go outside their homes and engage in creative activities (like marching and protesting) in a more social environment. I agree with that sentiment in a sense. Communication has increased incredibly over the last 20 years, but it seems all that extra energy pouring into global communication takes away from the energy that used to go into local communities.

Of course, they can work in tandem just as well as they can work against eachother. In Olympia, we've had monthly, amateur art shows (including visual, verbal, musical, and pretty much every other kind of art) hosted in 10 or so private homes, in the same neighborhood, on the same night. They were organized via Olyblog.net, our local blog, by some kids who decided to call themselves the Raccoon Collective. Anybody and everybody has been joining the collective, and it's really shown how the internet can be used to build local connections.

Methinks Elton John needs to be more creative, technologically as well as musically!
sonam
eggg wrote:
Quote:
engage in creative activities (like marching and protesting)

I cannot agree with you. For me marching and protesting are not creative. In most situations this is manipulation with peoples. For what? For money, popularity, etc. He don't like to help to you or to some joung musican. He want more milions in his pocket, nothing else. You will get marching and protesthing (for free), he will get money and popularity (with your work). Do you want to be popet in his hand. Me no... thanks.

I LOVE INTERNET!

Sonam
standready
ReubenWilliams wrote:
DoctorBeaver wrote:

a computer can improve upon many instruments. The day synths were made commerically avaliable was a great day and pop music took a leap forward, from aphex twin to kylie monogue thoose smooth whooshing and rushing sounds which reach such a range of frequencies can only be electronically generated i'm afraid.

First @ReubenWilliams:
The original synthesizers were not computer driven. I still have two of my "wire" routed ones which I still use in studio. Much better sound but take fast hands to setup between songs on stage.

@DoctorBeaver:
I agree. I am published, hard working musician that earned my way playing where ever I could get booked. This instant stardoom (while I bear no ill will) of just anybody these days is, as you said, "utter crap"! Bring back real music!

Good luck, Reggie, trying to shut down the internet! Ya gonna need it!
GSIS
It'll be interesting to sit back and watch him try to shut down a system that was designed to be nuclear war proof.

Having said that, I suspect a few well placed nuclear weapons would have had it on its knees within minutes of the start of such a war.
ocalhoun
GSIS wrote:

Having said that, I suspect a few well placed nuclear weapons would have had it on its knees within minutes of the start of such a war.

On its knees perhaps, but not down. Bringing it down would require at least 12 nukes scattered all around the world, and even then, it would be only a temporary failure.
(To bring down the root servers)
Peterssidan
I thinkElton is over reacting a bit. Hi hope Internet wins and all music is free almoust like it is today but legal. of course he don't want the music sceen that he have lived on and that he love so much to disapear. Changes happens. New jobs coming and old disapear. It's how it is.
Agent ME
I wonder if he knows there's a lot more on the internet other than music?

That'd be like a cop saying all highways, roads, and trains, should be shut down to stop drug trafficking Razz
Jack_Hammer
theem wrote:

I think that is the crucial bit to take away from this topic...
Wink
Dalv87
He's looking at it incredibly one-sidedly, focusing on only what it takes away (some of his ability to make money, the time people spend offline, etc.). Like said above, it can also be used as an organizing tool, a communication tool, a way to discuss issues, the list goes on and on.
Random note: the last time I went to a protest, I heard about it offline but was asked to sign up online anyway so that they would be better able to organize everything and know how many people were coming. Many other people heard about it because they were on an email list.
Vrythramax
ocalhoun wrote:
GSIS wrote:

On its knees perhaps, but not down. Bringing it down would require at least 12 nukes scattered all around the world, and even then, it would be only a temporary failure.

Actually much less than you think...2 well placed car bombs could take out both of the major MAE's (Metropolitan Area Exchanges) for the entire world and fracture the Internet backbone....but I won't say where they are located for obvious reasons.
friuser
I agree with elton john but it doesn't really have to do with music. I really don't think elton john is that talented and his music isn't revolutionary in any sense.

I think consciously shutting down the internet for someone for one month would really improve their lives. The first thing that I do at home when I'm bored is go on the internet and check mail and other time consuming stuff when I really should excercise more, go out more, make more friends. Like real friends. Though Elton is obviously wrong about art since the medium produced by computers far exceed anything done previously.
truespeed
friuser wrote:
I agree with elton john but it doesn't really have to do with music. I really don't think elton john is that talented and his music isn't revolutionary in any sense.

I think consciously shutting down the internet for someone for one month would really improve their lives. The first thing that I do at home when I'm bored is go on the internet and check mail and other time consuming stuff when I really should excercise more, go out more, make more friends. Like real friends. Though Elton is obviously wrong about art since the medium produced by computers far exceed anything done previously.

They were saying the same thing about TV's when i was young,TV for my generation was just as big a time killer as the internet is now. If the internet was closed down for any period of time ,people would just switch back to their TV watching.
GSIS
The key to taking out the internet is that hardly any of the infrastructure is protected from EMP - not necessarily physical destruction using conventional bombs. There are, sadly, far more than enough nukes to do it.

That could just be an Elton Magnetic Pulse when he finally implodes. Laughing
hack_man_
Wow, if he wants to shut down the internet, good luck to him! He is going to get owned. He should face his fears that there is something bigger and more important than him... :p
mOrpheuS
Very Happy

Despite the influence it has on music, internet is not necessarily a bad thing.
Heck, the influence it has on music is not all bad either.

What Sir John fails to realize is that influencing music is only a very small part of things that internet does.

If he can come up with an alternative way to keep the world connected the way it is, we could think of shutting the internet down to save music.

He could use some of that creativity that he gets out of not being online.
justnewbie
Shutting down the Internet? That's stupid and idiosyncratic. I meant, man, this is the age of globalism- even if you managed to shut down the Internet, there's still dozens of pirates out there burning music tracks to DVDs. If that Elton thinks he's creative, why don't he use the Internet to his advantage? It's the same case to everyone, Internet has its advantages and disadvantages- but like it or not, it's there- it's happening.. so just adopt it and make it to benefit yourself instead of moaning and protesting like a bunch of traditional workers opposing to the invention of factory machines.
carlokes
Hi there,

I am not going to comment about the stupidity of the author of the sentence but one thing I know for sure.

Many musicians claim that because of internet (and piracy of course) they are not able to do the living they did in the past. Well I think it's about time to start deserving the money you got. Albums are a good way of publicity nowadays and the internet+piracy formula is the best way to promote a band. How about hitting the road for a good tour instead of waiting for the money to come after a little studio time and a lot of SpecialFX ?

Stay Cool.
304esque
DoctorBeaver wrote:

edit : gawd. forgot my comment >_<

anyway was just gonna say, now we only need to get the messsage through to those people's heads >_<

Seriously I never want to listen to english rap, but I would listen to the japanese ones. I'd say it's cos they sound better (more pop-ish, so less crap) and the context isn't always blings, genitals and sex.
darrenpaul
Jack_Hammer wrote:
theem wrote:

I think that is the crucial bit to take away from this topic...
Wink

Hahahahah sooo true
Zaini711
Elton just like throw tantrum on whatever fancy his mind. He does not even bother to know what Internet is. I guess he's living in his own kingdom/world....
filet
He's missing out internet great abilities; new singers with new techniques with great potential discovered, fast response from the fans and audiences are superb marketing strategy for the artists itself , no more waiting for music producers to discover you!!!!
GSIS
I've just found an Elton John official web site. I wonder how much he's making from online sales ...
Davidgr1200
Quote:
"In the early Seventies there were at least ten albums released every week that were fantastic. Now you're lucky to find ten albums a year of that quality. And there are more albums released each week now than there were then."

I agree to some extent with that, BUT look at the way it is written:
In the 70s there were 10 fantastic albums RELEASED
Now you're lucky to FIND 10 quality albums a year.
I would suggest that they are still being released but it is more difficult to find them. They are been drowned in the rest of the rubbish. A less varied amount of music is played on the radio compared to the seventies so you have to go to the internet to find the good stuff, and that takes time which someone like Elton John would not be willing to take. It's partly an age thing - when you are 15 or 16 you haven't found so much music yet. When you are 60 you have found a lot more. If you find 10 great albums a year from the age of 15 then by 60 you have 450 great albums which you listen to - not leaving much time to listen to new music. When I was 15 I never listened to anything but new music.
I also think he is exagerating by saying 10 fantastic albums a week. I would challenge him to even name from memory 520 albums from 1972. I bet he did not even listen to 500 new albums that year.
soulery
Hold on a second, I'm gonna check how many people want to shut it down...

shut it down: 1
keep it: 6 billion

Yep.
{name here}
DoctorBeaver wrote:

That is abuse of the technology. There are great things that you can make without any human voices or a band for that matter. Chiptunes can show soul and hard work by the author. Plus it sounds cool. Refer to Acidjazzed Remix or basically anything in the MOD archive. With this new technology there will be abusers, but it means now that any yahoo can make a great song without the need for other people to produce it. Instrumental music to me is better than any music that has a human voice as it shows the true talent of the artist(s), and conveys the mood of the song better than with a voice. There was a time when music was circled around telling stories through notes more than voices - the Impressionist musicians like Claude Debussy.

In addition, without computers, the same thing could be done with tapes - one blank copy for the particular layer of song, and a small tape with the repitition, and stopping to rewind every time the tape is done. Attatching different tapes is another technique. The difference now is the people can do it twice as easy and kids are willing to buy or steal the trash. Artists, particularily rap artists, simply don't know how to make music so they just repeat some beat to death, and talk about their "bitches and hos" and "pimps" like the lifestyle is something that should be admired. I think they are the biggest ones to blame in the decline of decent music, with the second being those pop artists like Britney Spears who have no talent but only good looks.
bonestorm74
Yeh well, this wouldn't have anything to do with his album sales would it? Pretty transparent really. I think his declining album sales have more to do with the fact he doesn't have anything interesting to say musically anymore.

Time to start pumping out a christmas covers album every year, Elton, like every other has-been out there. Rod Stewart has shown you the way.
achowles
ocalhoun wrote:
GSIS wrote:

So in reference to your sig, a few well placed nukes can't solve Elton's problem then. Very Happy
nilsmo
Hah, "net loss", great one thread starter.

Well, the notion that we restrict people's behavior in order to create art seems counterintuitive to me. I wouldn't think Elton John has a good amount of logic - he's an artist not a mathematician so this is merely entertaining.
Fake
he is gay too. And he is entitled to his own opinion
Lennon
Conservative Vs Liberal

Heard it all before. Move with the times. There will always be room for natural musicians.
Blaster
Haha theem i read this topic and was like... this sounds familiar.

Anyhow good luck with that Elton. The world pretty much depends on the internet nowadays. It would be almost impossible for him to shut it down.
kiranaghor
People download and thats why they dont buy.
windrei
But i do think internet is really sucessful in creating a new kind of music platform... and let music from everywhere sharing all around the world. About 10 years ago, when internet was not so popular, i could only stick to some local pop songs and some of British and the US. But now, i can listen to music from Europe, India, South America...etc. And all genres of music too. And i think due to the easy sharing of music, there are new music writers that make some fusions of different countries music + electronic. The products are quite good too. Besides, some low budget independent music makers now can use a cheap or even free way to spread their own pieces. Internet is indeed a good tool to music industry. How come he thinks the opposite way..... due to the piracy matter ??
eday2010
He should concentrate only on what he knows: sleeping with men.
rein
Technology doesn't destroy music; it enhances it. Only by trying new things can music become richer.
No, what realy destroys good music is corporations. Artists are marketed and polished. Their numbers writeen by someone else, their lyrics by another. They are styled and branded and measured to make to most amount of profit.
That's why the internet is regarded by -among others- record labels as 'the enemy'. Anyone with a bit of talent can do their thing, post it on the net and become just as popular. Youtubers for example. Only they don't do it for money. They don't care whether there's a market for the style they like. They just want to share "their" music.

Let Elton John rant all he want.
lordstrife
I kinda agree to a small point with EJ about this. There is ALOT of non-talented people making music these days. The internet is FULL of crap music wise. Most true artist still do it the old fashion way anyways and the wannab's make it with software and sound clips. As far as getting music online and pirating etc. , I just think that if people want it that bad there really isn't a way to stop this from happneding anyways so why cry about it. And for shutting down the internet for 5 days WHAT a joke the World depends on the internet now. If they were to shut it down then the world would crumple (basically) in 5 days. hecxk imagine global panic thats what you would get not better music , jeez get a clue EJ.
j_f_k
What a silly little man he is. needs to get a life.

I understand at his age, he is quite happy and more than capable of composing music at a piano or possibly in his head like Mozart - he's certainly talented enough for that and that you coudn't tempt him with a really good music composing program, or with ITunes and ownloading music (perhaps he fancies the sales assistant with the long hair at Watford Virgin megastore ... )

Absolutely fine - however

because of the internet - new starters now don't have to impress boring men in suits to get their music published (ie more proper music - less spice girls),

I can now buy music and mix and match tracks to get a CD with ALL solngs that I like rather than have to buy a CD which maybe has 2/3 of sonds I don't link and don't want to listen to.

someone mentioned computer music and synthesizer music - I don;t know how rap works or how the authors think but don't confuse a computer writing music (which is always going to be a failure) with using a computer as a composing tool - in the same way as ms word is better than a typewriter.
evilryu530
what? he's crazy. the internet actually helped his music, it's huge!!!! how can he say that?! he's crazy i tell you, crazy............................
erlendhg
bigdan wrote:

Shut down the web....good luck Elton, you're gonna need it! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yeah, I agree with that Laughing

It might be wise words - some of the things he says, but shutting down the Internet is extremely unachievable and unlikely to happen.

And if Internet was shutted down, we would not have our FriHost anymore Razz
mjohnson
No one can refuse Internet! I can not imagine what the world can run after normal if there is no Internet.
lolo69000
As far as I'm concerned, I think that Internet could create more new artists than anything else.

I'm French and we have some artist who are now famous because of the Internet.
By the way, it's also really easy to discover many and many new artists trough the Internet. And it's just a beginning !
Some singer post them album on myspace or stuff like that instead of doing a "real" expansive album.

Loc.
FirecrackerLabels

I would do it for $400k!! LOL Some of these guys just make me laugh, I am surprised they still allow their music to be played on the radio.
silverdown
Oh my, he would have to own a lot of companies to shut down the net, this really makes me laugh only because celebrities usually get there way with money. Closing down the net would not be a swell choice. I pity the one that tries close it down the the far, far future Very Happy
yo.hassan
i guess internet also helping spread music everywhere.theres so many artist and tracks i found in internet only and they are good too. it should never be shut or closed.
theem
mjohnson wrote:
No one can refuse Internet! I can not imagine what the world can run after normal if there is no Internet.

The same thing here !! Arrow

Just try to think a world without Internet ? Shocked
Alaskacameradude
So, there are a lot of people making crap music. So what? There are a TON of people making crap videos too. So many that many video production companies and TV stations now pay those of us who have an education in the field next to nothing, cause they can always get someone who wants to do the job for minimum wage...just for the 'prestige' of having their video on the air. Local news stations are even having viewers send video they shot in for free, so they don't have to pay news photogs. Maybe we should ban video cameras too unless you are a 'certified pro'.

Point is, there will always be the 'hobbyists' and the 'wanna bees' in pretty much any creative field. BUT those who are good, there will always be a demand for their music, videos and films, photographs, and drawings. Partly because there is so much crap out there, that those with talent, well, their work stands out like a warm day in an Alaska winter.
yo.hassan
sorry but everytime i see this topic in the forum i feel angry and unhappy. does he have a net connection and ever surf the net? dont think so. bum.. heh