FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Language Frihosts

Ratmaster
The idea is that there are subdomains here at frihost, similar to what is done at other sites like wikipedia, that is like fr.frihost.com, es.frihost.com, etc. with the homepage done in another language and the forums done completely in another language, like there are all of the forums here, just in another language over there. This may help some people who don't understand English and want to participate in the community. Sure there are many languages for this forum, but it doesn't translate board descriptions or posts.

And there could be links at the bottom of the site allowing the users to go to the translated forums/sites.
soulery
I think that's an intresting idea.
tidruG
Quote:
with the homepage done in another language and the forums done completely in another language, like there are all of the forums here, just in another language over there.

The implementation of different languages for the home page may be feasible, but having a whole new set of forums in a completely different language is impossible. For one thing, even the best online translators won't be able to effectively translate all the forum posts into another language, especially if you consider the many typos, spelling mistakes and internet short-forms that loads of people use in their posts. Manually translating all the posts into another language would require an entire team of people dedicated solely to that task.

That apart, one of the reasons we require everyone to know English (as you may be aware, we require that site descriptions, while filling out hosting requests, have to be in English only) is because if ever there is need for an official correspondence between Frihost and the user (a warning, for example), the user should be able to read and understand clearly what we are trying to say to him/her.
Bondings
I've been thinking about doing something very similar to what you suggested. It is, make a fr.frihost.com, nl.frihost.com, ... with a lot of pages in a different language and the forums layout a bit modified to the language. However, I didn't find a good way to do it yet and even if I did, it's planned for a very far future.
Hogwarts
Bondings wrote:
I've been thinking about doing something very similar to what you suggested. It is, make a fr.frihost.com, nl.frihost.com, ... with a lot of pages in a different language and the forums layout a bit modified to the language. However, I didn't find a good way to do it yet and even if I did, it's planned for a very far future.

You could modify the formus so that they work off of the same database for some parts, but not others - and use PHP includes to avoid having to edit multiple files if you only want to edit one.

For example, by making things like the users table, the private messages table and the user-groups tables (etc) shared by the forums - however have the posts table for each forum separate. This would have to work off of one database, and have different table prefixes for the separate forums.
Bondings
Hogwarts wrote:
Bondings wrote:

You could modify the formus so that they work off of the same database for some parts, but not others - and use PHP includes to avoid having to edit multiple files if you only want to edit one.

For example, by making things like the users table, the private messages table and the user-groups tables (etc) shared by the forums - however have the posts table for each forum separate. This would have to work off of one database, and have different table prefixes for the separate forums.

I would just split the forums visibly, but not for real. I mean not display all forums, depending on which page/mode/settings there are.

However, the problem is that I don't want any pages that have the same content but a different url. And if you link from a French and an English page to a page, the link back is going to have a problem unless you are logged in and have a french/english setting. It's a bit hard to explain but I'll definitely find a way to solve this problem when I implement it. The bigger problem is that this is a lot of work and I have tons of stuff that I want to finish before starting with this.
Ratmaster
tidruG wrote:
Quote:
with the homepage done in another language and the forums done completely in another language, like there are all of the forums here, just in another language over there.

The implementation of different languages for the home page may be feasible, but having a whole new set of forums in a completely different language is impossible. For one thing, even the best online translators won't be able to effectively translate all the forum posts into another language, especially if you consider the many typos, spelling mistakes and internet short-forms that loads of people use in their posts. Manually translating all the posts into another language would require an entire team of people dedicated solely to that task.

That apart, one of the reasons we require everyone to know English (as you may be aware, we require that site descriptions, while filling out hosting requests, have to be in English only) is because if ever there is need for an official correspondence between Frihost and the user (a warning, for example), the user should be able to read and understand clearly what we are trying to say to him/her.
No, the posts won't be translated, only the board names and descriptions which means there are no posts from here.