FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I must be mad

DoctorBeaver
I walked about 7.5 miles on Thursday and 7 miles on Friday. Huh?

Afterwards my legs were reasonably OK; they felt like lead, but they weren't aching. I had a bit of a ping in a tendon behind my left knee after about 4 miles on Friday, but it didn't cause me any discomfort or hamper my walking.

My back, however, is a different matter. Under my shoulder blades & across the top of my pelvis were hurting like hell for the last couple of miles &, I must admit, as a result I had to take a couple of short breaks to sit down.

The pelvic pain went during the evening but under my shoulder blades was still aching like crazy.

What really surprised me, though, was that despite my emphycema I didn't get too much out of breath even though the temperature was in the mid 20s C on Thursday and 28-29C on Friday and about half of the walk was uphill. And I didn't have to use my Salbutamol (Salamol/Ventolin) inhaler even once.

I'm rather pleased with myself as I haven't walked more than about half a mile for 6 months or so.

However, I'm suffering now. Yesterday and today my calves feel as though they've been kicked by a horse (yes, I do know what that feels like!) and I'm walking like an overweight snowman with haemorhoid trouble! Sad
catscratches
So you created this topic just to complain?

And 7.5 miles.... thats not much at all.
jabapyth
Are you asking a question? Raising discussion? Even giving us a topic to throw around?
How 'bout this
"Once I did some exercising for a while and afterward I hurt in places I didn't know existed"
um...i dont get it
hofodomo01
Shet I don't think I've ever walked that long in one setting. Like, ever. Not much of an exercise person though...
otiscom
Well done!

Shows commitment and is very good for you, keep it up.
DoctorBeaver
catscratches wrote:

No. I created it to share what, for me, was quite an accomplishment. I'm 54 years old with a serious lung condition so I was really pleased that I'd managed to walk that far. OK, maybe for a fit, young person 7.5 miles isn't a lot. But for someone like me it's one hell of a long way.
achowles
Well congratulations on that. Personally I don't agree that doing less and less is going to be of benefit as you get older. If anything it makes things worse. That said, you might want to edit this so that it promotes discussion. Maybe about personal achievements/overcoming personal problems?
Vrythramax
Given the circumstances I'd call that an outstanding accomplishment, and I seriously doubt this topic was created to complain.

We are supposed to be a community here, and some of us can actually share and find happiness in the accomplishments of other members of the community....not simply seek an arguement for arguements sake alone.

@DoctorBeaver

GOOD FOR YOU!! Applause Applause Applause

@jabapyth

I doubt you ever will "get it".

There is an old saying people....if you can't say something nice, say nothing at all.
tidruG
Quote:
We are supposed to be a community here, and some of us can actually share and find happiness in the accomplishments of other members of the community....not simply seek an arguement for arguements sake alone.
Well said!

Congrats, Beaver! That's quite an accomplishment. And I know the pain you're talking about. I'm much less than half your age, but I'm not very active/athletic/etc. I love playing football though (soccer, if you're American). There was this one time I got to play it after a very long time (thanks to a hectic schedule due to college, etc), and I played my heart out.... I couldn't walk straight for days Razz
Shewolf
Great work Beaver! In a few days time you will be as good as new, if not better Wink If you feel like it, you might try to take some walks now and then, it's good for your health you know.
Keep up the good work! Very Happy
standready
Congratulations DoctorBeaver! Well done. Walking is great excerise for everyone. I usually walk about 3 miles a day myself.
djcaution
Quote:

I couldn't have said it better myself! Good job with your walk sir. That's quite the distance for someone who's 54. I'm only 22 but my mom just turned 61 last week! :S
djcaution
why, might I ask, did you do such a trek those 2 days? Did you just feel like going for a walk or was it forced?
Zombie
Great accomplishment, and goodluck with your calves. But that post was a little bit whiny, I hope you weren't expecting extra frih$ for your sustained injuries. ;P
catscratches
DoctorBeaver wrote:
catscratches wrote:

No. I created it to share what, for me, was quite an accomplishment. I'm 54 years old with a serious lung condition so I was really pleased that I'd managed to walk that far. OK, maybe for a fit, young person 7.5 miles isn't a lot. But for someone like me it's one hell of a long way.

Oh, excuse me. That's another thing then.

EDIT: But the way you wrote it makes it look like you're complaining a lot XP
Davidgr1200
Probably best to take it gradually. If you haven't walked more than half a mile for a very long time then suddenly walking 14 miles (uphill if I understood you correctly) is going to give you aches and pains. I would advise you to walk say one or two miles a day, but do that EVERY day. Increase the distance gradually and after a couple of months you will find yourself walking ten miles a day with no problems. The pains in your legs will disappear very quickly, usually after just a couple of walks, as your body gets used to the extra effort. It can get a bit boring, though, if you do the same walk every day. I have an mp3 player which I listen to (it doesn't have to be music, you can download radio programmes as well), and sometimes a take a bus ride to somewhere and walk there. Don't take the car though, that will encourage you to be lazy!
Good luck on your walking, you'll find yourself feeling a lot better.
eljormaz
my partner must be mad as well!!

she walked 4 x 40 km in July... oh man! that is quite a walk!

it is something very famous in the Netherlands, a walk in Nijmegen with about 40,000 more people around you. If you like:

- crowds
- destroy your body
- tell eveybody you are the best, f**k the rest

haha well... no, I am just joking... well you would need some training for this but I am sure (even though I would never go for it...) it can be an amazing experience. Please have a look at the link:

http://www.noviomagus.nl/Vierdaagse/Fourdays.htm
Soulfire
I'm 17 years old, and a 7.5 mile walk is a nice distance for me even. That being said, congratulations! Get some icy hot, or a hot pad or something on your back! Maybe hot tub it up a little bit.
nilsmo
You need to stretch the part that was hurting before/after doing the exercise. I'm really young, but after taking a jog i got huge leg pain the next day and could barely walk. However, subsequent jogs i stretched my legs after jogging and i got no pain. Even if our condiitions are very different, I strongly recommend stretching, even if it won't relieve the pain.