FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How would you create 1 mW-h of Electricity

alkady
I need some help on some science work, basically, to create 1 mW-h of electricity using the Alternate Current (AC) method in which a metallic solenoid rotates around a magnetic field, what would be your recommendations to achieve this.

Basically, if you where to create electricity, how many rotations per minute would your solenoid rotate at, what would be the size and metal choice of the core and wiring and how many turns would your wire have.
qsmith
not really an expert on the subject, but one suggestion comes to mind:Start with the assumption that you want the frequency to be the same as household AC, namely 50-60 Hz. This may have the practical benefit that you would be able to use the energy you created, and you may not need to make the equipment as strong as you would for a higher frequency.
newolder
alkady wrote:
I need some help on some science work, basically, to create 1 mW-h of electricity using the Alternate Current (AC) method in which a metallic solenoid rotates around a magnetic field, what would be your recommendations to achieve this.

Basically, if you where to create electricity, how many rotations per minute would your solenoid rotate at, what would be the size and metal choice of the core and wiring and how many turns would your wire have.

It' s been done many times and in many places. If by mW you mean milliwatt then i generate 3000 of those on my MTB where the magnet rotates around the coil so that no 'brushes' are needed. Cheers! Faraday, Maxwell, Einstein et al... If, however, you mean 1 megawatt then Strandford Loch, Northern Ireland is a good place to see one in operation. The Shetland Islands have some too, apparently and i'm trying to get one installed here for Holwick's streetlights & annual joubilee! Whoopee! The more the merrier...

I'm hoping one of these will 'fall off the back of a wagon' nearby too:: http://www.physorg.com/news10081.html

It's a generator that fuses protons into Helium and Lithium* nucleii with a controllable output. I'm hoping to fit them on my space-bike...

ed. Smile

* Useful resources for the journey, where we'll have to learn how to cook up some carbon, nitrogen and oxygen too. Hmmm, chocolate.