FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Consoles

Thomme
Hi,

Why does ppl give 300-600 euro to a gaming console (PS, Xbox, WII) and do they pay 20+ euro's for evry game they play? Why don't they play games on there computer? A computer has internet, you can download mods so you can enjoy games longer than on console's...

I don't know but I can't understand why they buy a gaming console... Explain me pls...

TY!
thomme
Agent ME
Easier to start playing a game on a console - don't need to install anything or need to make sure your computer has the latest drivers, or turn out to have a computer that isn't compatable with the game.

Easier, and more unified online, on Xbox live on the 360.

Exclusive games - the Halo series has been exclusive to the xbox for their first 2-3 years, and many other games.

And games aren't that much more expensive on consoles, and a $400 console is a lot cheaper than getting a computer with a nice video card, and keeping the computer up-to-date every year or so.
Thomme
Agent ME wrote:
Easier to start playing a game on a console - don't need to install anything or need to make sure your computer has the latest drivers, or turn out to have a computer that isn't compatable with the game.

Easier, and more unified online, on Xbox live on the 360.

Exclusive games - the Halo series has been exclusive to the xbox for their first 2-3 years, and many other games.

And games aren't that much more expensive on consoles, and a $400 console is a lot cheaper than getting a computer with a nice video card, and keeping the computer up-to-date every year or so.

With $400 you have one of the best video card's atm and you can keep using him for many years! A console you have to buy every 4 yeras a new so (because all the new games ONLY run on the new console).

It's easier ok, but do you rlly pay €10-20 more for each game because you can't instal a game?
b4r4t
Thomme wrote:

With $400 you have one of the best video card's atm and you can keep using him for many years! A console you have to buy every 4 yeras a new so (because all the new games ONLY run on the new console).

It's easier ok, but do you rlly pay €10-20 more for each game because you can't instal a game?

You are thinking wrong, because onlu GPU isn't whole gaming mashine... You have to have good CPU and large ammount of RAM ... next thing is, that with console You don't have to worry about game requirements ...
Games for PS3 looks much gr8ther than those what You can get on normal PC - you have to have extreme one ...

Nex thing are exclusives which are games only for consoles ... much games are comming out to buy faster for consoles too (like GTA) ...

I have PC and PS2 ... on PC I don't play ... I prefeer to play on my PS2 ... Big TV , great gamepad and comfortable sofa Smile

About 4years console life ... PS2 is 7 years and its still selling well ...
You have to upgrade Your PC much often ... buying new GPU , CPU, MoBo or RAM o play new games ...
greatfire
Thomme wrote:

i find the games to be about the same price. And seriously, if you think a good gfx card will last you four years you thought wrong
Loghete
Well first off, about the price. If you want a good gaming computer, you'll have to spit out about €1500-€2000, too get a nice processor, graphics card, sound card, RAM memory, DVD/CD drive, monitor.... etc. etc. Comparing that to a €250 Wii I think I see which one is cheaper. Well you're right about the games, they are about €20 more expensive than their PC counterparts, but I think that's the only negative side with consoles, hah. There are much more negative stuff with PC's, including viruses, compatibly problems with different OS', your computer getting out-of-date...
Also, it's usually much more fun playing on the consoles with your friends, since you can play 4+ at the same time. Being 4 people around a keyboard is less comfortable.
And there's more. If we look at the Wii, does computers have any motion-sensitive, white sexy bluetooth controllers? No? Thought so Razz
Thomme
Loghete wrote:
Well first off, about the price. If you want a good gaming computer, you'll have to spit out about €1500-€2000, too get a nice processor, graphics card, sound card, RAM memory, DVD/CD drive, monitor.... etc. etc. Comparing that to a €250 Wii I think I see which one is cheaper. Well you're right about the games, they are about €20 more expensive than their PC counterparts, but I think that's the only negative side with consoles, hah. There are much more negative stuff with PC's, including viruses, compatibly problems with different OS', your computer getting out-of-date...
Also, it's usually much more fun playing on the consoles with your friends, since you can play 4+ at the same time. Being 4 people around a keyboard is less comfortable.
And there's more. If we look at the Wii, does computers have any motion-sensitive, white sexy bluetooth controllers? No? Thought so Razz

A (gaming) computer you can also use for your Emails, downloading mods, listinging music, MSN and more than 1 person can use it at home.

With a console you need a good TV do I think, it cost easy €200+, so I think gaming on a computer is better then gaming on a console.

And wtf, how can U play a FPS on your console? It have to but RLLY hard to move etc.

I play with my friends online on Teamspeak so it's also funny Smile

and btw,I've got a bluetooth controller Very Happy
Loghete
Quote:
A (gaming) computer you can also use for your Emails, downloading mods, listinging music, MSN and more than 1 person can use it at home.

Well, I can do that on my €2 computer. But I can't play any decent looking games on it.

Anyway, it's a matter of taste. What kind of gaming you are interested in. Some prefer using mouse and keyboard, some prefer a controller. Some prefer playing against their friends on a distance while speaking to them, some prefer inviting them to come and play Smile
Klaw 2
Thomme wrote:

Yeah you got one video card but then you usuallly have to do something about memory cards and all the other hardware in your pc because its old

next thing is that if you have an pc you usually also work on it and the more games and stuff you instal on it the pc gets slower and slower and if you have an console you dont have that problem. and you can play some console games on ur console while someone else is working on the pc
Packfan104L4
Thomme wrote:

And I can do all of that using the web browser on my Nintendo Wii.... You were saying?
andy26
I personaly prefer the PC aswell. beacuse game consoles become out of date quick but you cant go out and buy a £50 upgrade you have to buy a new £400 console, with a PC you can eaisly upgrade and its not rocket science even if you do have to install the latest drivers e.t.c and there is a wider format of games some games only come out for a certain console but will most likely come out for a pc aswell but wont be compatible with all consoles, also with a PC you can get more out of a normal game without before even thinking about mods, such as the sims when that came out for pc you could have more building space and have an upstairs but the PS2 verison was limited to what you could do. so i will always preffer the pc im also more used to pc controls but for my car/racing games i have a control that looks joost like a playstation 2 controller.
Ghengis
Look at it over the long run:

$500 HDTV + $300 for (used) PS3 or Xbox 360 = $800, lasts for ~5 years (PS3 wants a "10 year life cycle", but that probably includes 3-5 years overlapping with the PS4)

OR

$1000 pretty good gaming computer, also probably lasts about 5 years. I can vouch for this, because my last PC upgrade was about 4 years ago, and I'm finding that I'm already at the minimum specs for a lot of newer PC games. In case you're wondering, Radeon 9700 Pro 128, Asus MB with a P4 2.4GHz oc'd to about 2.6 (I can go faster but there's flakiness due to heat if I don't open the case and point a fan at it -- I got a "quiet" case at the expense of airflow), 1GB PC3200 RAM, 800 FSB. In 2003 that was a sweet system; now, you could probably throw it together for 200-300 bucks or less.

Anyway, the way I see it, you have a choice to make. Spend the grand on just a PC, which can do email, browsing, media playing, etc., and "modern" games for a few years. Or, get the Xbox, every game guaranteed works out of the box, no drivers, no config files, no tweaks because your brand of RAM has issues (I'm not making that up!). Just works. Plus, you have a sweet HDTV to watch shows on. Then, spend the $200 difference on an eMachines box that is just good enough to do email/browsing/movie playback.

Personally, I was lucky enough I could afford both -- I got a decent PC (it still runs most things at low resolution and/or with the bells and whistles turned off), then I got a good console (two actually -- Wii60 FTW!). I find I spend the lion's share of my game time on the consoles, simply because they're quick, easy, and work every time, and I have so little game time right now I can't afford to waste any of it tweaking and configuring. I guess you just have to make the choice that's right for you.
andy26
i would prefer to build my pc then your not paying a grand it could be cut down to nearly half price and lasts longer as new pc's are having graphics chips built into the motherboard whichj can easily over heat
Dr_Matsutsu
PCs are more complicated than the Xbox or the 360 making consoles a first choce for a soft-core gamer as you dont need to install anything, worry about computer spec or putting new hardware in the box and because of Xbox live you can download all the updates and mods etc as they are released.. sure theres not as many mods and download packages on xbox live but most gamers who prefere consoles over a PC are people who just play games for fun and are not too pickey when it comes down to mods etc.

and another thing.. what is 10-20 euros extra when you can just plug and play it without all the complications of PCs? and if i could find a PC thats as good as an Xbox 360 for 400 Euros it would be a first

~*~Love and Peace~*~
~*~Matt~*~
andy26
But you cant get photoshop on a console, and you cant creat game mods on a console, and its cheaper and easier to get a normal pc internet connection than it is xbox live which you have to pay ontop of a nornmal conecton monthly
freshtracker
Playstation 3 and Nintendo Wii are the best Wink
Packfan104L4
andy26 wrote:
But you cant get photoshop on a console, and you cant creat game mods on a console, and its cheaper and easier to get a normal pc internet connection than it is xbox live which you have to pay ontop of a nornmal conecton monthly

In order to play Multiplayer soon enough on the PC, you're going to have to have a paid connection to Games for Windows Live!
spykE
I hope they port Crysis to the Xbox360, I dont think I'll buy a new PC soon Wink. That's one of the reasons people buy consoles ^^.
Thomme
Packfan104L4 wrote:
Thomme wrote:

And I can do all of that using the web browser on my Nintendo Wii.... You were saying?

Yea but he can't run programme's, can't download stuff, is slow (no mouse), no MSN Xfire etc.!
Erst
Nintendo Wii is the best!.
Deias
personally both computer and consoles have there places in my gaming lifestyle. the great MMO games that computers have offer hours upon hours some into years of great gaming. but at the same time nothing beats not having to screw around with a keyboard and mouse, plop a simple controller into your hand sit back with a 6pack of beer and a bag of pretzels and toss in the latest Final Fantasy game.

the gap is closing between the two with online communities and what not. but still computers are great for some games. could you think of playing starcraft or command and conquer with a Wii controller? while, when you have freinds over nothing beats a 4 way deathmatch of halo.. BTW Halo is not exclusive to consoles . halo one is on PC and halo 2 is on it way shortly.

computers offer better FPS and indepth MMOs while consoles offer ease of use. comfort and a group experence when freinds are over
Ghengis
Good example: I just got BioShock for the 360. I have a PC, that was pretty hot circa 2004, which might now, if I'm lucky, squeak out barely acceptable FPS at the lowest resolution. My choice is basically between using a keyboard and mouse, which I usually prefer, at very low resolution, or using a gamepad and having plug-and-play convenience, on my 30" HDTV. I was worried I'd hate the gamepad controls, but I think once you get used to the idea that you're stuck being "helped" with auto-aim a little, it's pretty playable. Would I like to have a super-kickass gaming PC capable of running BioShock at 2048 by NNNN resolution at 120 fps? Sure, but I already have one mortgage, and I really don't need a second. So sometimes PC games have their merits, but sometimes you just want to get the console version and save yourself the headache.
H4x3D
I got many consoles, but my favorite is the Xbox 360. They got the best graphics to date and the best games to go along with it. This console has so much potential and I can only wait to see what Microsoft comes out with next. I also predict that Microsoft will be the first company to sell Virtual Reality games on the market.
Satori
You can't play Wii games on a PC. I personally like to play games on both my PC and my Wii. Both of them are very different types of gaming and I wouldn't be able to replace either with the other. The Wii's controls make it unique even among the consoles, while a good ol' PC is a must if you're a fan of RTS games (few seem to exist for consoles.) To me, there's really no need to put the two in competition with each other. PCs have their place in the gaming world, and so do consoles. They're both different enough from each other to not be in competition in my eyes.
mynameis
I love playing pc games but so far I've had to spend £500 Building one. £70 buying an OS, and aload more upgrading.

Case: Antec 900 Ultimate Gamers Case
CPU: Intel Core2Duo E4300 1.8GHz now overclocked @ 2.7Ghz per core
CPU heatsink/fan: Arctic cooling pro 7
Motherboard: Gigabyte 965P-S3
Ram: 2x1GB Corsair xms2 (800)
Storage: 120GB Western Digital
Graphics: (yes i know this sucks but yeh) ATI HD2400pro

ok so thats about £600 for a mid-range gaming PC

XBOX 360 Core system: £175 saving £425

Even more I'm now expected to buy Crappy Vista just to play DX10 Games (Direct X 10 and Vista which even game devolpers like Crytek - Crysis said is extremely buggy and is not worth it)

Over all I can see why people don't play PC games and really it IS so much cheaper to play console games.
Ghengis
I bought Bioshock for 360 instead of PC. I don't regret it -- there's no modding toolkit (and may well never be), no online multiplayer... no really good reason to get the PC version, except the lack of mouse control. I was a staunch PC gaming advocate, until reality hit my wallet Wink
eday2010
andy26 wrote:

So why can't you have a computer and a console? You talk like you can only have one or the other. Game consoles are more social for playing games with guests than computers are. Try playing a Mario Party type game with three other friends at your place on a PC. Consoles are best for that.
enygmasoft
Thomme wrote:
Hi,

Why does ppl give 300-600 euro to a gaming console (PS, Xbox, WII) and do they pay 20+ euro's for evry game they play? Why don't they play games on there computer? A computer has internet, you can download mods so you can enjoy games longer than on console's...

I don't know but I can't understand why they buy a gaming console... Explain me pls...

TY!
thomme

In terms of ease of use it is so much easier to use a console than it is to use a PC to install and update the machine to get it to play any game. It far more work intensive than simply putting the game into the cosole and playing the game. It takes about 30 mins to get a game playing the first time you install it, if you have a decent internet connection, with driver updates, and game updates that typically come with any PC game. This same time could have been used to play the game on the console. No rocket science is involved in installing anything. Simply load and play.
ForceRun
Wow is the forum the home of the Microsoft fan boys, lol.

Thomme wrote:
Hi,
TY!
thomme

I don't know what the euro is in USD$, but the reason people buy consoles, is they 'think' they are cheaper, easier to run and get gaming, most support from the 'big' game companies, better 'graphics' than most PC can offer, for the more lazy or soft gamer, and I don't even see the last point at all that Console live longer.

This is how I see it. $600 for the Console, $50+ for addistional controlers, $70 a game, $2000 for a HDTV (I haven't seen a HD system worth anything for cheaper that that.), $500 for a good speaker system, some monthly fee for Xbox live and internet connection, and so on. Therefore to play at HD, with four people and have 5 games with Live for one year, the total cost is more like $3,840. What the hey I'm I really spending that much? Yes to play at true HD.

A poll on console owners shines new light on the real problem of console owners http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161833, only 30% of Xbox owners are aware that their box can do HD. So factor in the fact that only about half of them have HDTVs, and only about 75% of them can hook up a HDTV, so you have about 10% of Xbox owners running any kind of HD.

On the PC side, I’m going from the tom’s hardware guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/09/17/sbm_low_cost_system/page6.html

"System Builder Marathon: New Low-Cost PC Component Costs

CPU Intel Core 2 Duo e6750 $212
CPU Cooler Cooler Master HyperTX 2 $27
Motherboard Asus P5K $137
RAM Wintec Ampo DDR2 PC2-6400 - 2GB $81
Graphics GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB $280
Hard Drive Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATAII $80
Sound Onboard $0
Case Raidmax Smilodon $80
Power Fortron AX-450PN $58
DVD-RW Sony NEC Optiarc 7170 SATA $35
Total Price $990
Throw in a monitor and speakers for $300
Total $1290

Now this system can do DirectX 10, has about 3 times the graphical power of the PS4 via the GeForce 8800 GTS.

So the PC is a lot cheaper, if you know what to get, and has a lot more power. I will give the prize of playing faster to the console, but in most cases it is really easy to get PC games running. As far as easier to play the PC with mouse, keyboard, joystick, and or game pad, is a lot better. Overall the PC has much better Graphics, with DirectX10 with no console will have for at least 5 years. Most people with console don't have HD or don't have it hooked up, why HD is the way of life for PC owners for a long time now.

PC are for both the Hard core gamer, and the soft gamer. And upgrading for PC is a good thing not a bad, it mean we don't have to wait 5 years for better graphics and better games.

And there are more games for PC, and PC can do a lot more than just play games. Like posting on this forums. There is a lot more to say but that should take care of this forum.
Fire Boar
Are you really spending that much? You are? Oh dear.

You must remember that the PS3 is NOT the only next generation console out there. Quite the opposite. For a blast of fun with four people, here's what you need:

1 x Wii Console (£180/$250)
3 x Additional Controllers (£90/$150)
3 x Additional Nunchucks (optional) (£45/$75)
X x Game Of Your Choice (£40/$60 each)

Total:
£270~£315+£40 per additional game
$400~$475+$60 per additional game

= Affordable, recurring fun.
Ghengis
Yeah, wow, ForceRun, I understand you were making a point, but JESUS, I own a Wii, a 360, all the last gen consoles, both major handhelds, an HDTV, and a pile of games, and I probably *still* didn't spend as much as your "estimate".

I have a "gaming PC", but it was built in 2004 and is starting to really show its age. Here's a few reasons I now spend more time on consoles than PCs:

* I thought I'd be able to upgrade my PC for less than the cost of a whole new system, but they keep changing pinouts on the processors, and my motherboard doesn't have PCI-E, so no new processor or video card for me, etc. Sure, I have to "upgrade" my consoles every 5+ years, but that's less often than I would have to upgrade my PC to "keep up".

* I can sit down in front of my 360 and be *playing* a game in about a minute; on my PC, it almost always takes longer. I have no idea why this is, but it seems to be a trend.

* Not really a universal thing, but my consoles are easier to get to than my PC.

* One word: Nintendo. They've got a half dozen or more really fun franchises. I will buy any console that releases a Zelda game; I am a chump like that, I know.

* Consoles tend to get more of the type of game that focuses on a more "intense" experience, where it's fun, but doesn't last as long. PCs tend to get more RTS's and simulations that take tens upon tens of hours to really "beat", and while I like those genres, I really don't have time for them anymore. I can get e.g. Metroid, spend three weeks playing it for an hour or two a night, and I'm done. It was great, told a story, etc etc, and I didn't have to invest 50 hours of my precious free time to feel "done". Not going to happen with Civilization et al.

Anyway, I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't afford both consoles and a PC. But I definitely think I'd at least consider the console-only route, if *forced* to chose.
carlospro7
yes, I feel the exact same way. I personally would pick a computer over a console any day. I don't understand consoles because it's not the same as using a mouse and a keyboard. I guess you could say that it takes a little extra skill to maneuver a controller in a first person shooter, but I prefer the mouse. I'm terrible at first person shooters with a controller even with sweet controllers like the xbox 360's.
I prefer computers because I can modify it. I can upgrade it only for the cost of the upgrade. I don't have to buy a new console if I want a different game. I just can't see myself in the future choosing a console over a computer, but hopefully I'll get better with the controller so that I can better appreciate the consoles.
vonboy
I realy just like consoles over computers for gaming (except for emulation, but i don't do that much anymore either.) Consoles and handhelds are the better option for me right now since i only get about $500 a year in allowance, and i'd rather get alot of games then a graphics update every year ot two.
Ghengis
If anybody cares, I just chose PC over 360 (I have both) for the Orange Box, because on the PC people can write mods. I'm glad I did, too -- I've been playing the TF2 beta all day, and it rocks.
ForceRun
Even if people don't go full out and get HD, a PC is better deal. I built a system for my friend for under $400 that can handle most games. And you can do a lot more than play games. Plus with an emulate you can sometimes play teh console games.
D1aMoNd_
im on 3.40 LEvrs.2 CFW
nitros
D1aMoNd_ wrote:
im on 3.40 LEvrs.2 CFW
D1aMoNd_ are you talking about the sony playstaion portable if so iam currently on custom firmware 3.71 M3 which is really good i can play my classic playstation 1 games on it which is absoultely amazing
Ghengis
Follow up to my "FWIW" post: I just got a Radeon x1950 GT, and now my TF2 is purdy. Ooh, the shiny water!

Also also, Portal is possibly the best puzzle game I've ever played, and I've played a fair few.