FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Has new AMD a Switch off system?

rodrigoz17
Weel as everyone know Intel have a switch off system that works when the temperature gets a limit (that the user set up).....well for eyers AMD can't have this advantage....my question is.....?? New AMD proccesors have the Temperature switch off system like intel??.....Thanks
coreymanshack
Intel does not have this feature, it is your bios that has this feature. AMD nor INTEL have any control over this. I'm sure most motherboard come with a temperature protection setting.
badai
what rodrigoz17 is talking about is Intel's internal thermal protection (internal temperature sensing diode) in its' CPU.

what you think rodrigoz17 is talking about is Intel's SpeedStep, AMD's Cool'n'Quiet and PowerNow!.

rodrigoz17: AMD is about 10 years behind Intel, and they don't have that technology yet. Cool'n'Quiet is not the same with Intel's internal thermal protection. it just an enhanced version of PowerNow!. if you turn on your AMD PC without running the proper software/OS, or without motherboard that support it, and remove the fan, it will keep running until it melt down, while Intel with its' internal thermal protection will modulate its' speed accordingly to avoid any damage.

coreymanshack: if you want to know more about this technology (CPU control speed without any help form motherboard, OS or software) you can read this PDF:

http://download.intel.com/design/Pentium4/datashts/24919805.pdf

refer to section 7.3

coreymanshack wrote:
Intel does not have this feature, it is your bios that has this feature. AMD nor INTEL have any control over this. I'm sure most motherboard come with a temperature protection setting.
coreymanshack
badai wrote:
what rodrigoz17 is talking about is Intel's internal thermal protection (internal temperature sensing diode) in its' CPU.

what you think rodrigoz17 is talking about is Intel's SpeedStep, AMD's Cool'n'Quiet and PowerNow!.

rodrigoz17: AMD is about 10 years behind Intel, and they don't have that technology yet. Cool'n'Quiet is not the same with Intel's internal thermal protection. it just an enhanced version of PowerNow!. if you turn on your AMD PC without running the proper software/OS, or without motherboard that support it, and remove the fan, it will keep running until it melt down, while Intel with its' internal thermal protection will modulate its' speed accordingly to avoid any damage.

coreymanshack: if you want to know more about this technology (CPU control speed without any help form motherboard, OS or software) you can read this PDF:

http://download.intel.com/design/Pentium4/datashts/24919805.pdf

refer to section 7.3

coreymanshack wrote:

No he said that it switches off when the temperature gets to a user set limit. Intel's SpeedStep is not user defined nor does it switch off the processor. The only thing that does this out of the box is the motherboard bios.

Thank you.
rodrigoz17
I'm talking the switch off wich is used in case your cooler stop working or the ambient temperature is too high to keep the temperature in low levels.....both proccesor with an specefic mother have the particularity to restart the PC or switch it off?
coreymanshack
rodrigoz17 wrote:
I'm talking the switch off wich is used in case your cooler stop working or the ambient temperature is too high to keep the temperature in low levels.....both proccesor with an specefic mother have the particularity to restart the PC or switch it off?

Yeah, it's all in the BIOS, press delete when your computer starts up.
dz9c
coreymanshack wrote:
rodrigoz17 wrote:

Speaking of that I cant do it. I have a sony vaio rb38g with an intel 915g mobo. the mobo will not let me get in any way at all. nor overclock the processor or change anything. which kinda scares me cuz that stuff comes in handy sometimes.. i guess im screwed ti ll i get new mobo
dz9c
coreymanshack wrote:
rodrigoz17 wrote:

Speaking of that I cant do it. I have a sony vaio rb38g with an intel 915g mobo. the mobo will not let me get in any way at all. nor overclock the processor or change anything. which kinda scares me cuz that stuff comes in handy sometimes.. i guess im screwed ti ll i get new mobo
dz9c
coreymanshack wrote:
rodrigoz17 wrote:

coreymanshack
dz9c wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:
rodrigoz17 wrote:

intel915g is the name of the fsb, not the mobo.

yea it will let you get in in some way... when your computer is starting up, press delete, that is bios.
if you don't see the bios text before you boot into windows you need to reset your bios with jumpers on your mobo.