FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Setting Up SMTP On My Server

ncwdavid
Hey, I am trying to setup my SMTP for PHP to send mail. I have tried downloading a mail server and running it then registering on my phpBB forum I just install and you can see what is going on when i click register and it tries to send the email 5 times then stops.

My ISP is eircom.net. So then I try and register with a email with @eircom.net at the end and it sends perfectly.

They are somehow only allowing me to send it to other users of eircom.net no one else which is useless to me.

What are my options? Thanks.

Also when I changed php.ini from localhost to another SMTP host and saved it and tried to just use the basic mail() function for php and I get this error:
Code:
Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set() in D:\Program Files\Abyss Web Server\htdocs\mail.php on line 2

Why does it say at localhost when I changed it to something else and saved it? There is 2 php.ini files and I editted the RECOMENDED one but I am not sure if it is.
mathiaus
It only uses php.ini . The others are examples.
ncwdavid
mathiaus wrote:
It only uses php.ini . The others are examples.

Ok, do you know how to setup the SMTP?
b4r4t
Maybe use mail send class like PHPMailer...

It is nice alternative for mail() Build-In function. It's better because You can use it on any HOST , You have to have only your own mail account with SMTP Support (any free acc have that).
Thanx for that You can make easy SendMail Form on Your website even if Your host provider doesn't give You posibility to use mail()

Best tutorial for this class (PHPMailer):

PHP Help: Complete PHP Mail Tutorial - Everything You Need to Know

This class can be used as normal mail() too (without smtp connection to external mail account)...
It's much better than dafault mail()
mathiaus
It sounds like your doing right, just to the wrong file.
You could try using frihost's mail server if you think its ISP causing the problems?
ncwdavid
mathiaus wrote:
It sounds like your doing right, just to the wrong file.
You could try using frihost's mail server if you think its ISP causing the problems?

That would be great but how could I use it?
ncwdavid
How could I use frihosts SMTP?
kiran_n444
I am also curious 2. HOw do you use FriHosts mail Server? I need to know so I can Setup my "board"(phpbb or SMF)