FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which is your favourite Harry Potter book amongst the seven?

ainieas
Which is your favourite Harry Potter book amongst the seven? And Why?

**SPOILERS****SPOILERS****SPOILERS****SPOILERS**

My personal favourite is the sixth book Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I love it because of the underlying dark themes in the book. The flashes into Voldemort's life were awesome. Also the whole potions book of the half-blood prince thing. But I never understood why Rowling wanted Harry to have an ex-. I kinda liked Harry with Cho. Also the ending of the book was the start of the end of everything.
dray101
I don't know, they're all good!!! Laughing

umm, I like the later books more, they're a lot more layered.
I think they have got better with each book and I would have to read though that last book again to pick between the 6th and the 7th.

I especially like the first two chapters of the 6th book, yeah maybe the 6th is my favourite. Wink
Genesiz
My favourite has to be Deathly Hallows. It was a good story in itself, but it also tied up all the loose ends and concluded the Harry Potter series. It also had the final showdown between Harry and Voldemort, perhaps my favourite part of the book.
catscratches
I have only started on The Deathly Hallows so I don't know yet.

But of those I've read it has to be either The Half-Blood Prince ot The Order Of The Phoenix. It seems like they're not as childish as the earlier books.
Obake
Hard to choose between The Prisoner of Azkaban and Halfblood Prince. Particularly towards the end of the series, I started getting a bit bored with the Potter-centric storyline and began to concentrate on Snape-ish bits of subplot, so it's not a coincidence that the two books I like most are also the two that contain the largest portion of backstory and revelation regarding that character. I think Snape is the most intriguing character JK created in her whole cast, so, bizarrely, I find the stories more interesting when they revolve a little more around him than when it's just Harry and Co battling through and saving the day. I also think that those are the two best-written books of the series.
ainieas
Obake wrote:
Hard to choose between The Prisoner of Azkaban and Halfblood Prince.
I so agree! I think the time thing in the end of Prisoner of Azkaban was unparallel in the whole series.
Obake
ainieas wrote:
I so agree! I think the time thing in the end of Prisoner of Azkaban was unparallel in the whole series.

^^ Yeah.

I tend to think of the series as split in two. I think the series changed direction a bit after OOtP, making the two halves just separate enough in my mind that it's difficult to choose a favourite for one and not the other.
ainieas
Obake wrote:
I tend to think of the series as split in two. I think the series changed direction a bit after OOtP, making the two halves just separate enough in my mind that it's difficult to choose a favourite for one and not the other.
The series kinda matured with the fourth book. Like Rowling didn't have only kids in mind. Fifth book onwards were taken over by a darkwave. Maybe thats why i love these more.
Obake
ainieas wrote:
The series kinda matured with the fourth book. Like Rowling didn't have only kids in mind. Fifth book onwards were taken over by a darkwave. Maybe thats why i love these more.

*nods*

Although I lean in the opposite direction--I prefer the first half overall, even though those books were obviously intended for an audience younger than I was even when I began reading them. But I think that has to do with the fact that the books didn't go exactly where I wanted them to go, more than anything.

I think that Voldemort's return at the end of the fourth book was really a tipping point. Up to then, the series had been about building this world and opening possibilities up in terms of where it could all go, and afterwards it became much more about working all the plot threads out and answering all the questions. Possibilities were closed off. And I've found that being at that tipping point, wondering what all the answers to my questions will turn out to be, and making up my own answers in the meantime--I found that more fun than being at the end of the series and knowing it all for sure.

Not that there aren't dozens of questions we're left with at the end of the series. What happened during those 19 years after Voldemort's defeat, aside from parenting? Surely Hermione hasn't settled down to become a stay-at-home mum? Did Harry become an Auror after all? Who's Minister of Magic now? How will the new Hogwarts generation deal with school? Will there be another Dark Lord on the rise anytime soon?--But they're not such important questions as we once had. There's less tension and urgency to finding the answers and filling in the gaps.
ainieas
Obake wrote:

Not that there aren't dozens of questions we're left with at the end of the series. What happened during those 19 years after Voldemort's defeat, aside from parenting? Surely Hermione hasn't settled down to become a stay-at-home mum? Did Harry become an Auror after all? Who's Minister of Magic now? How will the new Hogwarts generation deal with school? Will there be another Dark Lord on the rise anytime soon?--But they're not such important questions as we once had. There's less tension and urgency to finding the answers and filling in the gaps.

Hmm...I think i can be of some help to you. If you check out the wikipedia page of The Deathly Hallows you'll find your answers in Rowling's own words.
Coclus
Probably the third or Fourth I d say
meet in rio
I loved The Chamber of Secrets and The Half-Blood Prince, mostly because I love the idea that a book can be sentient/evil/etc. I know it's a really base, stupid reason but I just devoured both of them. It was interesting to hear more about Voldemort's and Snape's early lives, too. That said, the end of The Half-Blood Prince was so hurried and crazy that it kind of spoiled it a little.
Eyre
I liked them all a lot, but the last one was by far my favorite. I don't know, I think my connection with the characters by that point was strongest, and I was SOOO waiting for Ginny and Harry to hook up. The last book just held so much emotion, I liked it.
Obake
ainieas wrote:
Hmm...I think i can be of some help to you. If you check out the wikipedia page of The Deathly Hallows you'll find your answers in Rowling's own words.

Hah, yes. Thank you for pointing me there; I hadn't even thought to look at wiki. Though there's still a question I'd like to see answered that hasn't been yet (maybe no one's got to asking JK): how do Muggle-wizard relations change during those intervening years? With Hermione et al working in the Ministry to eradicate pro-pureblood legislation, how does that affect Muggleborns and their families? Does the wizarding world become more widely known in the Muggle world, and what sort of an effect does that have, on both sides of the coin?

I would love to read a story about that transition.

meet in rio wrote:
I loved The Chamber of Secrets and The Half-Blood Prince, mostly because I love the idea that a book can be sentient/evil/etc.

*laughs* Then, assuming you haven't run across them already, I might sneakily pimp the Discworld books at you. There's a lot of metaphoric stuff in the series about stories having a power/personality of their own (especially if you look at the witches sub-cycle--Equal Rites, Wyrd Sisters, Witches Abroad, Maskerade, Lords and Ladies, and Carpe Jugulum). Also, the most famous library on the Disc is full of books have a literal life of their own.

See? You see how sneaky that was?
imera
I loved to read Half Blood Prince, I also had my dark period so that is no surprise. But dark period or not, I love to read those things, almost like it gives me adrenaline. I really hoped the last book would be dark, but after my opinion it wasn't that much, off course people died and such but the trio was hiding. And somehow I think it was full off information that I would rather hear about during all the books than to read about it in one book, I spend more time trying to figure out what I had read than to be in the story. And it was a disappointment to, the way Harry suddenly grew up (not the 19 years) It was like during the battle he was another man.
I also think Snape was a more interesting character than Voldemort.
PennyLane
I always loved Prisoner of Azkaban, because when I read this one, a lot a things became clear to me.
But Deathly Hallows was great too... Wow, Rowling did something amazing!!
Devil186
The last book I think was the best one... The giant battle at the end the way the scences were described Rowling did a GREAT job...No ones going to top it.

The last book I also find finally lays out how everything is and what its going to be like after. When Harry Met Albus in that very strange place and they talked it just layed things out... Very Happy
TurtleShell
Obake wrote:

Although I lean in the opposite direction--I prefer the first half overall, even though those books were obviously intended for an audience younger than I was even when I began reading them. But I think that has to do with the fact that the books didn't go exactly where I wanted them to go, more than anything.

where did you want the series to go? Why did it disappoint you?

Also, I agree with you--there were so many questions left at the end...she wasn't trying at all with that lame epilogue:)
Coen
My favourite is the last part as lots is revealed in it and you finally get the entire plot that is being kept secret to Harry throughout all the books.
emem
The fifth one... I haven't even read the last two Mad
ainieas
Devil186 wrote:
The last book I think was the best one... The giant battle at the end the way the scences were described Rowling did a GREAT job...No ones going to top it.

I think I'd differ in this case. I rather prefer the final battle sequence of Tolkein's The Lord of the Rings.
ainieas
Devil186 wrote:

I think I'd differ in this case. I rather prefer the final battle sequence of Tolkein's The Lord of the Rings.
Otherwise I do admit Rowling is awesome.
Afaceinthematrix
Book 7... The great thing about the Harry Potter series, in my opinion, is that every book got better. Book 1 was the worse, although still very good, and every book got better. I think the reason why I thought every book got better is that with every book you found out more and more about Voldemort and the background information. You found out more about the whole "Harry Potter universe."

Edit:
I'm starting to really get into book 5... I think this might actually be my favorite. Something about Umbridge is just too entertaining.
coyote
hmm...I think Half-Blood Prince because I enjoyed hearing about Voldemort's past, and whyy he is evil.
You really read through the entire LOTR?!?!?!? Shocked
megwings
Prisoner of Azkaban, which I'm pretty sure I spelled wrong. It seems to be the first of the series with an 'adult' feel.
ainieas
coyote wrote:
hmm...I think Half-Blood Prince because I enjoyed hearing about Voldemort's past, and whyy he is evil.
You really read through the entire LOTR?!?!?!? Shocked

I'm guessing you talking to me! Yep read thru the whole of it and LOVED it. There were parts where my interest wandered but towards the end of the book it was all redeemed.
imera
I am really unsure which is my favourite; I like all the dark parts, mostly the 6th book. I have always loved the character of Snape, even if he did turn out to be evil I would still love him, because he has so much beneath himself.

But there is so many good things in all books. What interested me at first was not the good/evil fight, but the history of every character. I love reading or listening to the history of people, and characters, so the more I read these books more information I got.

There is only one thing I hate, the last chapter of the 7th book. I mean come on, I know the good is supposed to win, but it's just too much of a cliché for me, especially since these books is supposed to be more original.
Don’t get me wrong, I love the books and everything, but that chapters made me wish I stopped reading after the last battle. I also like good endings but that one was too good.
ainieas
imera wrote:
I am really unsure which is my favourite; I like all the dark parts, mostly the 6th book. I have always loved the character of Snape, even if he did turn out to be evil I would still love him, because he has so much beneath himself.

But there is so many good things in all books. What interested me at first was not the good/evil fight, but the history of every character. I love reading or listening to the history of people, and characters, so the more I read these books more information I got.

There is only one thing I hate, the last chapter of the 7th book. I mean come on, I know the good is supposed to win, but it's just too much of a cliché for me, especially since these books is supposed to be more original.
Don’t get me wrong, I love the books and everything, but that chapters made me wish I stopped reading after the last battle. I also like good endings but that one was too good.

I know what you mean. Seeing the good win evil is too trite. I wish Rowling had given a different touch to the ending, left the readers guessing and stuff, or atleast pointed towards some coming event in the future that could bring it all back.
kreative
the 7th, ´coz it´s the best SmileSmileSmile
brokenadvice
It has to be Half blood price. It was very disappointing to read about harry and company popping around the world throughout #7, so 6 it is.
Wildchild
Prisioiner of Azkaban hands down
Horizon
The last book, and in most cases the best, was phenomenal. Unfortunately, it became a bit boring. I'm going to have to say the 6th book. When the story is contained within the school, it's somehow more interesting. Maybe because the first 6 books were positioned in the school and you'd probably get used to it. That's the only thing that ruined my experience in the 7th book.

But Rowling has made one of the best series of books that there is (apart from The lord of the Rings ^^). I don't understand why so many people make fun of others just because they read Harry Potter. Maybe it's because those who make fun of others can't read.. It's immoral to make fun of somebody for such a reason. But Harry Potter is still a great series, they can't change that.
schooldays
I enjoyed the last book most probably, even if I did find the ending a little silly. I really do think the series is brilliant, a great piece of modern children's fiction.
MtgRuler
I found the 4th book to be the best. I really didnt like the darker overtones created by the later novel. The plot of this one, in my opinion, was the best. All the later ones kept with the same general storyline, and I dont like really long books...
Overall, the first half was better. I liked how it was more of a series then than a continuing storyline.

But its been awhile since I read them in a streak, mabye ive matured a bit more to like the darker tones better.
ProfessorY91
The Order of the Phoenix

but all are much loved.

-Y
xavax
Order of the Phoenix -
Its the first book where Voldemort strikes a proper blow back against Harry.
I liked Half Blood Prince as well, but Deathlyl Hallows was a bit diasppointing really..
flowerpower
I love the entire series but one book that I like more is the Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. I like the order of the phoenix too though. one of the best series that I ever read. thumbs-up to J K Rowling.
gugusm
All the books were cool, hard to name the best one. J.K. Rowling made a good job Wink
hamza1122
The harry potter series was actually one of the type of books that got me into reading =] I loved them...but i read other book series as well.

Anywayz.. my favourite of the HP series has to be Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows! Mad book but ALL of J.K Rowling's books were awesome so its really hard to choose! All the rest come in at a very close 2nd!

For the movies, the first two movies were the best so far! Smile
georgeodowd
I've read all the books at least thrice, except for Seven. I think Five is where Rowling is at her height - she is completely confident, but not overly so. Things just start to get a bit too ridiculous in Six, although interestingly enough, my favourite scenes all come from Six and Seven.

I read Seven in one night - simply could not put it down and finished at nine am. I was so excited from the read that I never actually made up the lost sleep. It was worth it!
I think one of my favourite parts was when Nagini makes her appearance. I actually started from my chair and dropped the book on the ground!
the-blurb
Oh Mrs Rowling, where did it all go wrong???

Ok, I can answer that... when you started writing for the big screen. It all started magical but then when the film industry became interested you took out all the special parts and replaced them with scenes ready-made for adaptation. It happened to Nick Hornby too.

Anyone else think that the books get worse as they go along? Not sure if that has something to do with the increasing length.

The third one, for me, represents everything that was brilliant and magical about Harry Potter, and the length was such that one can pick it up and read over and over again and each time finishing with a short sigh of childish happiness and a quick loving squeeze of the cover before resting it back in it's place next to the re-inforced bed-side table that is the Goblet of Fire (which features more Quidditch than I could care for).
Arty
I liked the first one the most. Very Happy I don't know why though...
nfneon
I did never read it, but i have seen two movies. Not realy impressed
ProfessorY91
The Order of the Phoenix. Hands down.
Noremac
I like the books later on as they get darker but in the same token you start to miss the the fun stuff about the series like quidditch etc.

I found the last book to be a dissapointing conclusion, I just really think the whole bit with him as an adult wasn't needed.
ato784
I really only liked the first three of the books after that Harry was a completely different person and I could not really enjoy what he did in the story. I also felt that He changed much too quickly in the course of the books.
inuyasha
I like Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone the most. First of all, the Magic World was brand-new to Harry as well as us readers. The fantastic world is obvious attractive. Besides, there's less pressure since Harry was young and Voldermort hasn't revived. We can better enjoy ourselves in it Smile As is commonly known, at that time Hermione and Ron's conflict(maybe an unsuitable word) was really funny.
Finally, personally speaking, I'm afraid the rest series are more and more ordinary, like other magic fictions.
rogue_skydragon
I really enjoyed reading Sorcerer's Stone Smile
TurtleShell
I'd say probably my favorite was the Half-Blood Prince. Amongst the movies, though, the most recent has been my favorite thus far.