FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The worst book you've ever read

iblislux
What's the worst book you've ever read?

Mine is Ramses by Christian Jacq. Every damn beginning of a chapter describes the personages all over again - since Jacq cannot inspire any image from the actions and thoughts of his characters, he simply gives them each a descriptive paragraph that he repeats... and repeats... and...
And of course Ramses had to be all powerful, all knowing, godlike, blond and almost seven feet tall hero. And that's not just it: he's got a pet lion - which happens to be the biggest they ever found - whose roar is heard for kilometres. And his rotten brother is, of course, a fat, ugly, greasy, disgusting little man. Thankfully, the main plot is based on the actual facts, so it kinda redeems - a bit - the whole thing. I've yet to read a book worst than this one...

Oh yes, Ramses's got a pet elephant too. Yes, the biggest one in Africa.
leapinglangoor
Well... the worst book I've ever read was, The Humanoid by Richard Mergest.
Just in case you want to know why, ninja robots from space will probably be immune to milk, don't you think Wink
Alacarde
Mine was a Tale of Two Cities. I don't like Charles Dickens at all, and this is his worst! He is way too descriptive. Don't get me wrong, I like descriptions, but not five paragraphs that describe a book lying next to a coffee cup on a table. That's ridiculus.

And besides that, the main characters name... Pip? What kind of name is that? Pip?! Ha, Pip that!
eluder
I deeply believe there're no 'counter-ads' when literature is involved. So the worst books are those I do not even wish to name - I simple make a note for myself and erase the author/work out of memory and mark: "Do not read it, do not waste time".
Bookface
I'm not sure if I agree with the previous poster. With so many books to read, I'll take the ones I've only heard good things about first, and hopefully never get to the crap.

That being said, I absolutely HATED THE GUTS OUT of Angels & Demons, the prequel to the Da Vinci Code. I can't imagine the second book being any better, and I hope to never read it or die trying. How anyone can like this author is beyond me. Ignoring the gross factual errors and the gaping logical inconsistencies in the plotline, the suspension of disbelief he requests is just too great.

Spoiler: [spoiler] a well timed random explosion at the end happens to blast him up in just such a way as to land inside the helicopter again, or some crap like that. here's where i try to forget: after I've read it and cried for my lost brain cells. [/spoiler]
Neus
Alacarde wrote:
Mine was a Tale of Two Cities. I don't like Charles Dickens at all, and this is his worst! He is way too descriptive. Don't get me wrong, I like descriptions, but not five paragraphs that describe a book lying next to a coffee cup on a table. That's ridiculus.

And besides that, the main characters name... Pip? What kind of name is that? Pip?! Ha, Pip that!

your mixing your books... tale of two cities is the one with the doctor dude, the lady and the dude she likes, and the dude that likes her... and that marqui guy who everyone in france hates.....

pip is in great expectations, the boring one where he just lives and is boring....

personally, after reading tale of two cities, it did what i thought was impossible, it was worse then great expectations... so worst book order goes:

worst book: tale of two cities
2nd : great expectations
3rd: scarlet letter (just becasue i was forced to read it this summer and it sucks)
Bookface
Dickens got paid to write by the word.

He got PAID for using MORE WORDS.

Does anyone see why this is a bad idea?
Bashur
Bookface wrote:
Dickens got paid to write by the word.

He got PAID for using MORE WORDS.

Does anyone see why this is a bad idea?

Are you serious? Could you show us proof?
poggendroff
read arundhjati roys god of small things, and u'll wonde3r why the fck u even started the damn thing..god kn ows hoe\w she got the bookers for such a shtty novel.

#@!$!@# Evil or Very Mad
diablera
I guess the worst book i've read ever is Juventud En Extasis (Youth On Ecstasy) by Carlos Cuauhtemoc Sanchez. I remember we had a very stupid literature substitute teacher who told us to read it.... sh*** that was such a horrible experience...

BTW, the book is about the youth and its nonsense rebelion against any adult rule... Confused

Cheers! Cool
mark
The worst book I have ever read is ' I was a Teenage Exam Cheat ' by Jim Schembri. Every Chapter starts and ends with a swear word and there are like hundreds of swear words in the middle. I dont mind that but you cant read the story well.
mirzapirza
Richard Bach's "One". Overwhelming BS. I might have enjoyed the philosophy, a lot of people seem to, but I just couldn't stand reading about those crystals or whatever and the flying around.. Gave up after a few chapters, IIRC.
kuad
Hmm, if the book were that bad, I'd never even finish it. So it's kinda hard to say what would be the worst book I've ever read. Sometimes, in the first few chapters you get a bad impression of the book, but if you persevere it might improve, but usually your initial reaction will probably right.
Pushpull
kuad wrote:
Hmm, if the book were that bad, I'd never even finish it. So it's kinda hard to say what would be the worst book I've ever read. Sometimes, in the first few chapters you get a bad impression of the book, but if you persevere it might improve, but usually your initial reaction will probably right.

You're definitely right on this. I never finished books that I don't like.
An exception though with the latest Anna Gavalda's book (French author) it's absolutely awful, with even grammar faults in it ! I just had to finish it since a girl absolutely wanted me to give her my feeling about this crap she loved...
My feeling is that I won't share my life with her ! lol
Nameless
The worst book I ever read was five or so years ago, but I still remember how much it sucked: The day everything tasted like brocolie.
I can't remember the author.
Varun
one book i have read and heated i is a book by Sidney Sheldon, i really dont know the name of the book though, but it really sucks from the begining to almost the end (i never went till the end), it has not basic story line up at all, i liked her other books Tell me your Dreams and If tomorrow comes, but this is the worst book by her i guess, and the lead role in this books is a guy named Tubby, he is some kind of a comedy actor or somethin like that
me
this may raise a few eyebrows

but the worst book i ever read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin

the books to boring , im not saying i like fedrick forsyth and clancy etc. but cmon P&P was slow excessively descriptive and most of all the characters where vain and judgemental ( i know some are supposed to be , but still )
angputter
Sorry if i offend anybody but i think The Chronicles of Narnia is kinda Crappy... maybe its just too childish for me... lol
rip8fan1
Basically, any book I'm 'forced' to read - like the books for High School English/Literature, have to be the worst.

Any book that I read for pleasure that I don't like in the first 50 pages or so, I never finish, so I can't really count them. I've been told that there are so many good books to read, why waste my time with a book that I don't like in the first xx pages, and that is the philosphy I follow now.
Tasukii
The worst book I ever read was A michel Houellebecq book, I didn't understand a line and it was so....an entire crap
tsukiyuuki
The only book that I've ever started and absolutely not been able to finish was Timothy Findley's "Not Wanted On The Voyage", which is a different take on the Noah's Ark story. It's not a bad book, per se, I just wasn't able to get through it for some reason.

The worst part was that I was supposed to read it for my English Lit class in university... Erg, that didn't go over well...
leftofcenter
Quote:

I adored A Tale of Two Cities. I don't see how that was worse than Great Expectations. Because Great Expectations sucked so miserably. Mad

But my all time worst book? The Red Badge of Courage. It was one of the required summer reading before tenth grade, and I read about 5 pages of it before I gave up. And in my 11th grade AP English class, with, you know, the overacheiving smart kids? We took a poll one day, and one person out of about 25 had actually read the book. THAT'S how bad it was. Evil or Very Mad That book needs to buuuuurn.
garvalf4
I really didn't like foucault's pendulum by umberto eco, it's was pedantic.
I found Gustave Flaubert's book boring too (I never managed to finish one)
picsite
i hate plays so i would have to put up the scambies...some unknown play our teacher made us read. I didn't like it and i couldn't even find any info on the net about it. He might have just as well made up the play himself.
raman
Harry Potter
IceCameron
Angels and Demons!
What a horrible book.
schudder
What is your problem with Angels and Demons?
I read it about a year ago and absolutely loved it! Sure, there are some factual errors in it (though very little), but all books have that.

[spoiler] Besides, the first poster to complain about it said something about a timed explosion that got him in the chopper... That makes no sense dude, he jumped out of the helicopter and used his coat or something as a parachute. Then the helicopter exloded and he "floated" rather fast towards a river. No getting back into the helicopter or anything :s

Anyway, the worst book I ever read was the Eunuch of Cordoba by some Spanish writer. It was awful. He just does 75% of the book attempting (and not succeeding) to create tension and people accusing each other and in the end, he introduces a new character and that turns out to be the killer :s
indeedwrestling
I took a course in 19th Century American Realism. This meant I read old books that were boring as dirt. Henry James was unbarable. I was a senior in college and for the first time in my life I had to buy Cliff Notes just to get through a class and a paper. I hate you "Ambassadors".
riv_
Interesting...
I can't make it through Tolstoy, myself. Crime and Punishment was not my favorite, but what's up with Anna Karenina? I couldn't make it through.
Yeah, I know, a portrait of the times and all that, but couldn't he at least have made characters that aren't utterly despicable? Or a story line that's, well interesting?
And you can't tell me it's just lost in translation... Dostoyevsky is delightful!
Tasukii
Oh and I totally dislike the Da Vinci Code, Im sure i would like it if nobody have talked about it like they did. It's not the best book ever, not at all.
madsencarl
Deadly Unna. Had to read it for school. I read about half of it and passed! Go me! But pretty any book you are forced to read for school is terrible. I mean, why would they give you something you liked?
kany
Yeah well it can happen sometimes. Recently when the new movie
The chronicles of Narnia The lion the witch and the wardrobe was released it thought i would read these books but when i started it, It was a real mess and read it through the end hoping to find something interesting but in the end took away all my desires to reall the other books of the series. Sad
nakamaru
Some book about some extremely intelligent donkey I read in 4th grade. ha
crdowner
I hated literature when I was in school and college probably because I "had" to read the books. A few of these assigned books were pretty good though. I liked Tale of Two Cities and the Scarlet Letter. What made these books good was the class discussions we had.

Since I have started reading for enjoyment instead of grades, I have not read a "bad" book. I definitely do not understand why a few posters hated Angels and Demons. I am currently reading this book and I plan to read The DaVinci Code before the movie is released. I find myself captivated by Angels and Demons.

My worst book was definitely Pride and Prejudice. I could not get into this book at all.
adiutrix
The worst for me had to be The Scarllet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne. The book only consisted of like five sentences Razz
tim_s
Fortunately I haven't ever read a book which was so bad it stands out and I can still remember it and identify it as the worst book I have ever read. I suppose I tend to forget bad books fairly quickly.

Recently I read God Knows by Joseph Heller, and, whilst it wasn't the worst book I have ever read, it is certainly the worst Heller book I have ever read... and the worst book I have read recently.
IceCameron
The bible, i gave up on it.
Koi Fish
A Seperate Peace by John Knowles. Hands down. The book itself was wonderful writing but... if you've ever read it, you understand why the end just... made me... want to hurt myself. What a way to die....
Lilystock
The worst book I have ever begin... I never finished it...

There is so many good books around, why waste time to finish a bad one ?

Wink
Blaster
Where should i start. The thing is that most schools make you read stupid books.
Hatchet
Yellow fever
Tangerine
Loser
Bridge to Terabithia
Winn Dixie
Bud not Buddy
Lord of the flies
April Morning
althalus
Call me crazy, but the worst book I've ever read have to be The Fellowship of the Ring... I didn't get halfway through the book before I had to put it away - Tom Bombadill (sp?) and his songs ticked me off...

IceCameron wrote:
The bible, i gave up on it.
So did I.. I'm in no way a christian, but I thought I should read it, like any other book. Got through 20-30 pages before I gave up, partially because of the fine print - it hurt my eyes.. Confused
carl005
Worst book I chose to read: Watership Down
Worst book I was forced to read: Scralet Letter/Walden Two
pristine
i think the worst book i ever read was girl with a pearl earring. i understand many ppl like it, but i felt that it was too simple. i also read this book. i don't remember what it was called (sth like guitar and rose) and it was terrible
papamurphy
Quote:
Watership Down

You didn't like Watership Down? I absolutely loved that book. I read it for my freshman english class. The worst book I read for school was called The Jungle. It was abosolutely terrible. It just dragged on and on about meat packing and how poor people were at the time. I found myslef wondering "Why do I care?".

Oh yes, and to whoever said they didn't like the Da Vinci Code because people claimed it was the best book ever. I have never heard anyone claim it was the best book ever, it was damn good, but you can never read a book expecting it to be the best ever, because you will always be let down. It is a simple action packed book that has a lot of controversy behind it. [/b]
tdlinkin
The worst book that i have ever read was The magicians ward. It really didnt have a consistent theme that i could really follow. I couldnt get into the book and discover what it was all about. All it was, was action, magic and a ton of mystery that i couldnt quite grasp. Over all the book really stunk in my book. Im sorry if i have any lovers of the book but that is my opinion and i am sticking by it. I also think that many other books are really good but that one really stank like a dead bull thats been lying around for a month. I mean he needs a new job or he just needs to write better books. Thats what i have to say. Idea Idea Idea
Bookface
papamurphy wrote:
Oh yes, and to whoever said they didn't like the Da Vinci Code because people claimed it was the best book ever. I have never heard anyone claim it was the best book ever, it was damn good, but you can never read a book expecting it to be the best ever, because you will always be let down. It is a simple action packed book that has a lot of controversy behind it.

I listened to the audiobook of Angels and Demons, the prequel to The Da Vinci Code, on a road trip. Audiobooks are great for the road, make the time and the miles fly by. Probably Pimsleur language learning and The Teaching Company courses are the best use of your time, but if you're going many hours in a row you can't really retain that kind of information. So I popped in the audiobook and... I got so mad at the damn thing, with its inconsistencies, fallacies, and implausibilties.

Maybe I just know less about the field, but books like those by Michael Crichton (Andromeda Strain, Congo) or John Grisham (The Firm, The Rainmaker) seem much better researched and plausible, while Dan Brown's work was... rushed and whimsical. I can do a willing suspension of disbelief, but he asked too much. Maybe it was just the pacing...

I won't ruin the ending for anyone who enjoys his work, but I had to shut it off and stew for a while during the last few minutes of the audiobook, it was just so preposterous.

That's why I hate Dan Brown.
meet in rio
althalus wrote:
Call me crazy, but the worst book I've ever read have to be The Fellowship of the Ring... I didn't get halfway through the book before I had to put it away - Tom Bombadill (sp?) and his songs ticked me off...

Hell yes.

I also hated the Doomspell Trilogy, by Cliff McNish. The writing was dire.
Scorpio
Worst book. Guess i Cant tell that because i read books that are already acclaimed to be good.
But i heard so much (on the -ve side) about arundhati roy's god of small things. I decided to read it.
But certainly that was the worst book i had read atleast so far.

Who knows roy may just better herself .
Kaneda
Interestingly, the two books that first came to my mind are already mentioned in this topic - and they're both the kind of books where, if you talk bad of them, you're accused of just hating them for being popular.

1. The DaVinci Code. Simply badly written. I'm sure it will work better as the source of the upcoming film, because the abundance of clichés in characterization and the cliffhanger structure at the end of every chapter tends to lend itself to great cinema (just look at the majority of Hitchkock's films - poor guy, have to misspell his name to get through the forum auto-censoring). And the lack of a literary voice won't hamper DaVinci Code in the audiovisual medium.

2. The Fellowship of the Ring. This isn't badly written. Its style and its content just lulled me to sleep - repeatedly - before I reached the 8th chapter or so. I would start over every few months, insisting on "breaking into it" and would repeat my failure to get through it.

The films - good entertainment - but no character ever grabbed me. To me, every character in LOTR (again, judging by the film, because I never did get further than that 8th chapter) just failed to strike any emotional chord - everyone seemed a bit too pure, too god-like and majestic, in speech and behavior. But again, the literary style, at least, was interesting.
hades9366
My low opinion of humanity was reaffirmed by a few of the most hated books on people's lists but then I've struggled with a few supposedly "great" books too. I struggled through Marquez's "Love in the time of cholera" and I've never managed to finish James Joyce's "Ulysses".

I guess I'm a bit of a pedant because even when I hate a book I still usually force myself to finish it and occasionally I'll even go on to change my opinion or at least find something in there, an idea, a description or something that I like but not always and there is no accounting for taste. One man's trash is another's treasure, you shouldn't give pearls to swine and too many aphorisms make jack a dull boy.

My current pet hate is reserved for Dan Brown. To prevent offending too many people I'll bite my lip but why, why, why? I've personally seen his books being read at airports in six different countries on three continents. WHY?
maxi2k6
Am I the only one who absolutely adores both Dickens and Tolstoy?
In fact, I love 19th century literature, those huge descritptions and truly elaborate characters are really what it is about, the way in which you really find the motivation and the reasons the characters act like they do is something that I haven't found in modern fiction.

As far as worst book, I haven't yet read the da vinci code (luckily Smile ) so, until then... the worst book I read has to be The Hobbit I was told I was going to find a whole universe of characters and descriptions and whatnot, but instead found a predictable children's book. WTF?
elincinerador
i don't know which was the worst.. basically if i don't like the book while reading it and i already read a great part (some books have a crappy beggining but they turn out to be great..). if after some point the book is still boring, i start with another book and forget about the one i left. so i don't know this answer.
Nireck
There is somethign that i want to mention, I truly believe that there are no good or bad books, is simply as the people, they way we like or dislike them is entirely based on the circumstances;
with this I mean that depends on the time you read it, the way, all the situations that concern your life.
So you were saying that Books like the Hobbit or LOTR are bad or not striking, yet There is a fact that we have to pay attention to, we cannot judge something that we don´t know, therefore if you want to criticice something you have to read it then finish it,
either way I respect all of your opinions , and try to read your books in different moments so you can objectively judge everything involved in the book
whatif
Alacarde wrote:

Wasn't Pip in Great Expectations?
PS- You don't have to read all the descriptions. I skipped a great many paragraphs. However, Dickens has a great sense of humour. His books, when you cut away the boring parts, are certainly worth reading.
CCFCExile
The worst book for me is The Living End... Although it was probably a good idea I just thought it was one of those apocolyptic 70's drug fulled beatnick stories by a William S Burroughs wannabe.

Not my thing really!
amazur
One of my worst experiences was with the kind of fiction novels that pop up in the wake of Harry Potter, the stuff that publishers eagerly gobble up just becuase they figure they can monopolise off of the desire of kids to go off to some magic land and befriend elves. Haha. Le's see, some of the most visible culprits were "So you want to be a wizard" and "the 13th stiarcase" ... lets just say my summer trying to find good books in the library while fresh out of elementary school was not in any way enlightened by those books. They lacked any sort of subtlety, and the 'magic' of a different world carried the trite taste of trashy-fiction. Blargh
foodman
I know many of you will disagree with what im going to say but the worst book(s) iv ever read are the harry potter ones. i cant stand them. there boring, childish, make no sense. its just such a bore. even the movies was. there all equally bad.In my opion its a complete waste of time. no ofeense to any one who likes them.
webbers
I have The Godfather, by Puzo, and The Alchemist, by Coelho, in a tie. The former because the story is absolutely biased: the author is clearly trying to show a kind side of coldblooded murders, their concern about family, etc. Besides, the language gets too sexual, and not much else bothers me as much as that in a book. The latter is also the worst book I've read because it's too mystical. I'll explain: Paulo Coelho is a bestselling author who would sell his own soul if that were worth a dime. His books are fraught with this mysticism which strikes me as highly false, and he's trying to make you think he has an important message about life to give you. And, yeah, his style is simplist and, in my opinion, mediocre.
jwellsy
Salmon Rushdi's Satanic Verses.
I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.
I tried to read it 3 times
and I just can't hang with it
it is the stupidest book I have ever opened.
I have not met anyone that has read more than 3 chapters from it.
supposing
foodman wrote:
I know many of you will disagree with what im going to say but the worst book(s) iv ever read are the harry potter ones. i cant stand them. there boring, childish, make no sense. its just such a bore. even the movies was. there all equally bad.In my opion its a complete waste of time. no ofeense to any one who likes them.

I'm certainly not offended by anyone disliking books I like, but it seems strange to me that you're criticizing children's books for being childish Question .
Caroli
Books like the sacrilegue or like the Christus-Papyrus I don't read, so I cannot talk about them. But once I wanted to inform myself about cathari and one of the books I used was written by a anthroposoph, who used this this book for propagating his ideology (at the end the cathari were martyres of a preform of anthroposophia).
This was one of the few times I wished the revival of Bücherverbrennungen, because it was only shit.
QrafTee
The worst book I've read is definitely The Scarlet Letter. It was so boring that I gave one whole month to read the forsaken book (about one chapter a day) and I fell asleep at least twice per chapter. It's written horribly and I have no love for it. It's like listening to someone you don't care about run on and on and on again about his life and you are just trying to keep yourself alive. I would've even have read it if it wasn't a summer reading project.
simp
Captains Courageous, by Rudyard Kipling. Oozing out work ethic and personal responsibility bullshirt from start to finish, I was so sickened by it that I damn near puked. William Bennett must have jacked off to it three times a day, after his mother found his sticky copies of the Police Gazette under his stickier mattress.
crispz
Mine was Ultra Violet. Who would want to make a book about the crappiest ('scuse the french) movie ever made?!
I don't know why my dad bothered buying me the book.
The beggining was boring. The climax was boring. The descriptions were LIFELESS...it was just a Drag.
palavra
i agree
i don't know why i didn't stop reading

it was a summer holiday
maybe i didn't have a better thing to do.
i nearly vomitted
HoboPelican
Well, won't say it's the "worst book" I ever read (hey, it's a classic, it must be good), but OMG Moby Dick was soooooooooooooooooo(get the point?) boring!
I forced myself thinking, "Moby Dick has to show up in the next chapter". What was it 20 pages before the end that they even SEE the whale? The whole friggin' thing was just an essay on whaling. I know, I know. I missed the subtext, I didn't see the metaphors. Whatever. All I know is that in the last 15 years, I've prescribed that to 4 friends as a sleep aid and it has worked everytime.

Foucault's Pendulum was also up there, but I couldn't finish it.

For some reason, I loved Great Expectations. I remember being given that in 8th grade to read and literally could not stop. I finished the book in one Saturday.
Kaneda
HoboPelican wrote:

Moby I agree on. Foucault's Pendulum is great, though. The thinking man's DaVinci Code Wink But I guess you have to be into it.
HoboPelican
Kaneda wrote:
HoboPelican wrote:

Moby I agree on. Foucault's Pendulum is great, though. The thinking man's DaVinci Code Wink But I guess you have to be into it.

My sister loved it, too. I guess I should try again. Crying or Very sad

Maybe it'll be like sledding. A long walk to the top and then no stopping it. Wink
Vrythramax
@Hobopelican

Leave Moby Dick alone! The whole book started in my hometown! Sure Ahab was a loon, but so where most of the sailors Wink
HoboPelican
Vrythramax wrote:
@Hobopelican

Leave Moby Dick alone! The whole book started in my hometown! Sure Ahab was a loon, but so where most of the sailors Wink

LOL. Sorry, I shouldn't knock a writer that is so well loved! To be fair, I'm not real fond of James Thurber and he is a local boy here. So was Harlan Ellison, sort of. He went to school here, I think.
solomon
Personally, I really disliked To Kill A Mockingbird.

I don't remember who wrote it probably because I disliked it so much.

I also hated reading Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin, however, as I got further into the book, I started to like it. Then in school I took multiple tests, did projects and watched presentations on it. Finally I saw like 2 versions of the movie and now I must say P&P is growing on me.

Stupid books.
INeedHelp
Hmm, the worst book I have read. I would probably have to go with Battlefield Earth. I bought this book used, and thank God I did! I got through part of it, and it was so dull I just couldn't go on! L. Ron Hubbard who I guess founded the Scientology cult/religion could not write to save his soul. There are so much better science fiction/fantasy authors out there, I don't know why people would bother reading Hubbard.
Vrythramax
INeedHelp wrote:
Hmm, the worst book I have read. I would probably have to go with Battlefield Earth. I bought this book used, and thank God I did! I got through part of it, and it was so dull I just couldn't go on! L. Ron Hubbard who I guess founded the Scientology cult/religion could not write to save his soul. There are so much better science fiction/fantasy authors out there, I don't know why people would bother reading Hubbard.

ummm...I don't really think Hubbard was such a lousy writer, but battefield earth did stink....and so did the movie. have you ever tried Assimov? made his own worlds as he went along...and was a proffessor at Harvard University while writing. Not bad if you ask me...and I don't like Harvard (I'm an MIT Grad).
HoboPelican
INeedHelp wrote:

OMG! I forgot that one. I read that after seeing the movie, wondering if the book was as bad.

It was!
mackhenry
i hate all the story books by enid blyton
all have the same plot Laughing
The Phoenix
Well....
4 me its definitely 'Illuminations' by some old hag.
man, u will age reading that bk, it is as boring as; well... there's nothing else so boring.
deStructuralized
"Madame Bovary" by some guy named Flaubert is absolutely terrible.
reddishblue
angputter wrote:
Sorry if i offend anybody but i think The Chronicles of Narnia is kinda Crappy... maybe its just too childish for me... lol

Yeah i agree so increadibly childish
Game Fortress
There are so many bad books out there, it is rediculous. Pinpointing the worst of them is like telling sombody to swallow a watermelon without chewing.
Vrythramax
Game Fortress wrote:
There are so many bad books out there, it is rediculous. Pinpointing the worst of them is like telling sombody to swallow a watermelon without chewing.

Now I'd pay to see someone do that! Laughing
Winterborne
I hate almost every book they ever made me read in highschool for english... I don't read much since then... probably because the english classes traumatized me so much and made me hate to read.

They should pick better books more suited to that age group.

Off the top of my head the worst one out of all of them that i can remember was The Scarlet Letter.... A good story, but I HATED the writer.
Vrythramax
I'm not sure if this is the worst book I have ever read (I read alot), but it was named "Will" by G.Gordon Liddy and it was pretty bad.
funstuff1501
I have read many poor books, but the ones I hate most are the obvious contract fillers written by otherwise good authors. You can tell that they just threw some crap together because they had to write X number of books in a certian period of time, and so they whipped out a turd of a book so they met the contract terms.
Vrythramax
funstuff1501 wrote:
I have read many poor books, but the ones I hate most are the obvious contract fillers written by otherwise good authors. You can tell that they just threw some crap together because they had to write X number of books in a certian period of time, and so they whipped out a turd of a book so they met the contract terms.

Sounds kinda like Stephan Kings works in more recent years.

Sad
TurtleShell
For those of you who mentioned Tale of two cities--I just loved it. but I can see how anyone would hate that book! It's the worst crap, in some ways--it's long and it goes on and on about the revolution...and that guy charles just can't stop calling his wife "my love" and "my life"...it's cheesey.
tkGER
Man do I agree with that about Narnia! When I read it again, not so long ago it was so foolish!! And I had even considered buying the rest, which I have never read, but after that I decided not to do such a pointless inversion. So I bought some of Bertrand Russel's books and I guess it was worth it Cool
Vrythramax
totally off topic....I LOVE your avatar tkGER!

Laughing
mikethm
Ain't no worst book I ever read... coz if I dun like 'em after a few chapter, I stop reading. kekeke
biedr0na666
tkGER wrote:
So I bought some of Bertrand Russel's books and I guess it was worth it Cool

it was definitely worth it. Smile

as for me, the crappiest book that i was trying to read (for school) was 'Lord Jim' by Joseph Conrad. sooooo boooooring.....
i have the book still standing there among the others. when i accidentally look at its shape and the ridculous letters saying 'lord jim', i get sick Smile
jds10912
without a doubt, House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros

Miracle at Philidelphia is pretty bad too
aniaw8
The worst book I have ever read was "The Six Bullerby Children". It was very boring to me. I realy couldn't read this but it was my school lecture and I have to.
Game Fortress
eh, there are alot of trashy books out there. Fortunatley, I seem to have forgotten them. I like the books that come into my recollection... I will have to think for this one.
azfad
i have only ever once thrown a book across the room in anger. and (ahem) strangely, it was 'stranger in a strange land' by robert heinlein - a favourite book of many people. the puerile philosophising and stilted prose irritated me no end and around two thirds of the way through i decided enough was enough and flung it to the farthest corner of the room. kind of alarmed my dog which i regret but i dont regret not finishing it.
palavra
azfad wrote:
i have only ever once thrown a book across the room in anger. and (ahem) strangely, it was 'stranger in a strange land' by robert heinlein - a favourite book of many people. the puerile philosophising and stilted prose irritated me no end and around two thirds of the way through i decided enough was enough and flung it to the farthest corner of the room. kind of alarmed my dog which i regret but i dont regret not finishing it.

some books also irritate me .
but i never fling any of them
i think books are as innocent as a baby

i prefer to kick the writer. Laughing
nardz
I don't know how you people actually finish the book if its that bad. If i'm reading a book that is excruciatingly boring, i just put it away and never open it again.

The worst i've ever started to read was John Hewson's autobiography. I really don't know what i was thinking, I was desperate for a read and i just spotted it in my fathers bookshelf.

Woeful literature.
Digital Thoth
I read up to the second page before I decided to post. I thought hard about my least liked book. But, as I read, I noticed that just about every book that people disliked, and I had read, I loved. Did anyone else get that type of feeling? Like 'I must be wierd for liking those if no one else does.' Or, does it make you feel... special, different. As if the works were meant just for you, and the author wasn't aware of it?
xkobram
Has anyone tryed to read school-books???
reddishblue
Blaster wrote:
Where should i start. The thing is that most schools make you read stupid books.
Hatchet

Hatchet? You hated hatchet, my god I love that book!
lyddi8
I have to say that the absolute worst book I have ever read was the Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisburger. Normally I don't finish books that are crappy, but seeing as this one was such easy reading, i pushed on.
300 or so pages of someone whingeing incessantly about their job!!
I have to give her props for her dedication and perserverance in complaining about her boss- by page 50 i was thinking "alright already, we GET IT, your boss is a bitch", and by the end page that thought was scarred in my mind through endless repitition.
Even now when I think about that book, my mind goes "alright already..."
Crazy_Canuck
I didn't read Devil Wears Prada, but I did think the movie sucked (except for Meryl Streep, who could read the phone book and I'd watch).

I once came across a "rule" for eliminating bad books from your life (this doesn't work if you're a student and HAVE to read it):

If you are under 50, read the first 50 pages of the book before you determine whether you want to finish it. If, after 50 pages, you don't enjoy the book, put it down and move on to the next book.

If you are over 50, subtract your age from 100 -- that's the number of pages you "must" read before deciding whether the book is worth finishing or not.

I think the theory is that life is too short to waste it reading bad books.

But, frankly, I can tell if I'm going to like a book within the first half-page. If a writer doesn't grab me in the first 300 words or so, it's game over!
RubySlasher
Worst book I ever read (was forced to read in grade school) was...
Tuck Everlasting

Oh my... It wasn't the writing style, it was magnificent, but the main character... and the moral of the story (living forever is bad!)
I can't even begin about the main character... What a dreamless fool. She certainly had a very shallow take on life in all, and was stupidly impressionable. I mean, if you could live forever, you could influence so many wars, you could travel to outer space without ever having to worry, explore the universe, and you could experience everything beyond what is humanly accepted.
I was not very happy with how they were trying to tell us 10 year olds that "dying is good, helps the planet, and that if you lived forever, it would be a sin."
Terrrenia
Well for me Devil Wears Prada was not so bad. Of course, it could be better, but i saw worst films. The worst book I ever read was "Anaruk chłoopiec z Grenlandii" It's somathing like Anaruk, the boy from Greenland . I had to read it when i was 8 or something like this and I still remember it . It was horrible! The boy was so stupid and there was artificial humour... I will never forget it :/
sondosia
It would have to be Oliver Twist, which I read in 7th grade for English class. Ick. I never want to see or hear of that book again. Ever.

~M~
scimitarmoon
My most hated books are probably The Scarlet Letter and A Tale of Two Cities. I'm sure Pride and Prejudice would be up there too, but I've thankfully never had to read it. We ran out of time in my English Lit. class so we just watched the movie (which I absolutely hated) instead of reading it. I hate weak characters that seem to sit and mope and never get anything done, or the characters we are meant to see are perfect in every way. Gets on my nerves every time.
Risa
The worst book I've read is "Last fantasy"
It's Thai novel.

It's not quite terrible, but I don't like the way he narrates.
And the plot isn't interesting. It's about the guy who discover himself that he has extra power and he has to move into the magic school.
Like Harry Potter, but worse.

How boring Mad
photon
Great Expectations
Digital Fortress
Drawingguy
By the way, Charles Dickens wasn't paid by the word (http://humwww.ucsc.edu/dickens/index.html), but nonetheless, his books are awesome. For me, Speak was terrible. Anytime a book is about a whiny, pathetic victim, it just turns me away.
sondosia
Actually, there's also A Tale of Two Cities...also by Dickens, and almost as bad as Oliver Twist. I read it last year for English class.
Zampano
Alacarde wrote:

I believe tha tis in Great Expectations.
The worst I've ever (been forced to) read is Z for Zachariah by C. O'Brien. Don;t ever bother reading it.
calicamper
I would have to say Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin. Every page was the worste I had ever read. Sadly this was a required book for AP English... Sad
Soulfire
I read The Scarlet Letter and loved the plot, but the wordiness of the description wore me down so much that I felt like it was a death march throughout the entire book.
TurtleShell
Ok, so for the guy who's defending Moby Dick--did you like it??? I would like to speak with SOMEONE who enjoyed this book, as I'm still about 10 pages from the end and still not really sure why anyone would enjoy it.
Patriot Players
The worst book I've ever read was (I'm going to get eaten alive for this...) Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, and I have no idea why. I'm one of those people who must be reading constantly. Books are a necessary component of my life. If I don't read, I can't live. So, it was very strange that a book that has been revered for it's symbolism, inner meaning, and utterly powerful wording was completely and totally lost on me. I couldn't get past the trip to the house, where she walked in the mud? See, I thought it was so awful, I've blocked it from my memory! FRUSTRATING! Because it was also required for OUR AP English class... Bloody rhetoric and all that ensues! I'm digressing, and I apologize, but to recap: Pride and Prejudice = not a good book. Quite possibly the worst book.

And yet... Jane Eyre is FANTASTIC. I just don't understand.
ChocolateEClaire
Thunder From The Sea. More boring than Twilight.
It's about some orphan in 1920's Canada going to live with a young married couple and he finds a dog. Whee. Then, his new mom has her daughter in March, but decides to name her April 'cause she wanted her born in April. WTF? I stopped there so I have no idea how it ends. Evil or Very Mad
Radar
I can think of books that I've taken a really long time to get through, I can think of books that I hated portions of, there are presumably books that I've forgotten because they had nothing particularly memorable about them...

I can't think of anything that would stand out and make the book, as a whole, the worst book I've ever read.
The-Nisk
Pride and Prejudice, the most intellectually boring book I've ever had the misfortune to read, if it wasn't for Darcy being a dick I wouldn't have finished it.

Great Expectations was on the agenda too, but it was boring as hell as well, so I just chanced my exams without reading it.

Love this thread.
Stinkycat
THe worst book that i have ever read has to be Bud, Not Buddy. My 6th grade english teacher made us read it. i couldnt get through one chapter without wanting to throw up. the author is very stupid there is no suspense or gore awesome battles. Ever since i always Rolling Eyes at her. I always played pranks on the old lady.. it was funny and great revenge. Twisted Evil
Radar
Generally I think I would try hard to forget the worst book I've ever read. I can remember books that didn't grab me, or books that were just weird, but worst book? I'm not sure.
Navigator
Surely, the worst book I have ever read is so forgettable that I can't remember its title.
D'Artagnan
i don't think i've ever had the pleasure to read a bad book, like lactose intolerant outerspace ninjas,
the worst book i've read cover to cover i think was the catcher in the rye, it's curious because of the john lennon thing, but a book about a prick kid from a middle class family is hardly good ,still it didn't made me give up.

i've read some books which i found boring, the mists of avalon - i've reached the 3nd book and i can't go on - and some brazilian writers i was forced to read as a kid, those books are not made for kids - even as an adult i cant bear to read, to me every single one is just an book form soap opera, with rare exceptions...
The_unnamed_label
One really bad book I read was the french book called "Les nuits fauves" by Cyril Collard.. I read it after it was adapted for cinema in the mid 90ies...
I would say its a "correctly politically uncorrect" book, relating this guy's life and trying to lighten his mistake and make him look like he was some kind of generation icon...

I think he was a brainless selfish B*stard. and his writting was poor, so were his cinematographic skills.

this book is typically a bin-culture item.

oh well... I still read it... (the movie is as boring and bad as the book)

RIP Cyril though.
Blummer
I really can't recall but it was very long book. And it had references on every page so it was boring to read everything. The references concerned translation of unknown words.
boinsterman
A plus for any book is that it is memorable, although for some being really bad is admittedly because the book is in fact really bad. The point being, I don't remember what the worst book I ever read is. But I do know that my tastes have changed a lot over the years, and some the stuff I used to read I would really hate now.
Hello_World
Maybe Catcher in the Rye? I can barely remember what it was about, but I remember thinking how stupid it was the whole way through.

There is a part of the bible, where the author goes through the building of a tabernacle in the most minute detail it is boring as hell.
OreosRoxYourWorld
The worst book I've ever read was The Seven Rays by Jessica Bendinger. Pretty much the entire book consisted of potty mouth talk. Literally. The main character talks about the bathroom half the time. She is supposed to be so smart she takes collage courses in grade 12, yet she uses made up words and words-smashed-together-like-this. The town player apparently falls in love with her after having a five minute conversation with her, and decides to break her out of the insane-asylum she in. She literally "blinks" into her "power" which allows her to see peoples energies and stuff. Her "boyfriend reads her mind while she is in the BATHROOM. Its the stupidest book that I have EVER read. Or tried to read. I never finished. Halfway through, I skimmed the rest to the end because I couldn't stand reading the whole thing. The ended left off at a cliffhanger, but there is no sequel out, or coming out. So the ending was either really bad, or the whole book was so bad that they couldn't publish a second book. I wouldn't be surprised if it were the latter.

~G
D'Artagnan
Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr

actually i know they are bad, like a sci fi channel original movie, but i have a lot of fun reading... that deus ex machina was unpayable
TurtleShell
Neus wrote:
Alacarde wrote:

your mixing your books... tale of two cities is the one with the doctor dude, the lady and the dude she likes, and the dude that likes her... and that marqui guy who everyone in france hates.....

pip is in great expectations, the boring one where he just lives and is boring....

personally, after reading tale of two cities, it did what i thought was impossible, it was worse then great expectations... so worst book order goes:

3rd: scarlet letter (just becasue i was forced to read it this summer and it sucks)

Tale of Two Cities is one of my favorite books, Great Expectations is also a great book. haven't read the Scarlet Letter, but given that you hated and I obviously have tastes that are opposite your own tastes, its seems safe to say that I would probably enjoy it and I should pick it up next:)
Tuvitor
It's kind of difficult to say which book is the absolute worst, because I tend to be the kind of person who won't waste time trying to finish a book I don't like. I've abandoned a lot of books in my day...
asnani04
Worst?
Don't mind it. Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde. I seriously don't know how I read it. But I had to read it, for a school assignment of book review. I don't know how it became so popular. Well, I must be wrong here, because it was widely accepted in its time. Even then, I don't like it. Sad
ekonomska
Bill Clinton "My life"
testsoc
Tuvitor wrote:
It's kind of difficult to say which book is the absolute worst, because I tend to be the kind of person who won't waste time trying to finish a book I don't like. I've abandoned a lot of books in my day...

Absolutely this^! If I get a third of the way through and I'm hating it, then I cut my losses and put it down. I'm not a completionist type for the sake of completion, so this works for me.

I'm not lazy either - I read Les Miserables and loved it, and that's a long book - but I just don't see the point in wasting my time unless I absolutely had to (for a course etc.)
shashwatblack
twilight.. i could barely complete it..

MOD - Spam link removed. Please review The Forum Rules and the Frihost FAQ
-Ankhanu
JoRu
"What are these strawberries doing on my nipples?" by Vanessa Feltz. Horrible!!!
miso
When It Was Dark by Guy Thorne. A book about a Jew who conspires to falsely disprove the Resurrection of Christ, which leads to moral disorder an chaos. The message is clear: without religion - without the fear of Hell - all of us would do what we really want to do: rape, murder, and all sorts of crime.