FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

learning guitar

Pikalibur
hi there!!, my vacations are going to end soon and i want to lear guitar, i dont habe time to hire a teacher (or money Sad ) so, does anyone know good software or website for learning guitar, i know that is required effort and dedication and i will do my best to learn it.
jwellsy
About.com has a very active guitar forum.

Search for guitar lesson on youtube.
Insanity
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

UG has a pretty good collection of lessons and articles to get you started, as well as a pretty decent archive of tabs - simple notation of songs for you to play. It's not that difficult to read tabs, and after you play a couple of songs it should get easier for you. It's all about practice and how much time you are willing to invest into it.
evilryu530
yes i'd like to learn the guitar also, i dont have a lot of time to learn tho, it looks fun to play
MRaftery
Pikalibur wrote:
hi there!!, my vacations are going to end soon and i want to lear guitar, i dont habe time to hire a teacher (or money Sad ) so, does anyone know good software or website for learning guitar, i know that is required effort and dedication and i will do my best to learn it.

Hi Pikalibur,

I've been playing for a longggggggg time so should be able to help ?! Ultimate Guitar is a great site, but if you want to learn you'll need to learn how to read tablature or how to read music. Tablature is dead easy to read...but not always to play. Have you got any friends who could help you out or show you a few chords? I know you said you don't have the cash for a teacher but if you could scrape together enough for 2 or 3 lessons it would really benfit.

What kind of music are you into?
Bagpipe
Whem I started I made a guitar neck out of a cardboard box and started practicing chord before I even had my intrument. And then I tried to get together with people who played as often as possible and learned from them...
KatanaSky
Bagpipe wrote:
And then I tried to get together with people who played as often as possible and learned from them...

Like Bagpipe said... try to get together with people who play. Personally, I find it a lot easier to learn how to play by watching and mimicking another person play. Youtube.com is a great place to learn as well - but I definitely would choose in-person lessons than on youtube. just because it's much better to receive feedback from the person teaching you (what you're doing wrong, eg. fingering, strumming, posture, etc....) but yes, if you don't have anyone near you with the time to teach you, I suggest you tube.

Here are some quick links that you may find useful:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1VTS4qV25og

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U3BQe2kDtx8

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rCWRUtqJgzI

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fWjUz1fk6U8

Good luck with playing! Stick with it, try not to give up - breaks are ok but try not to lose interest Wink
firmnesszhao
i know there are many video on youtube,but now,the website has been forbidded in our country
tony
i agree w above statement. also can add wikihow as a good resource and maybe the wikipedia?

i dont know. the guitar confused me as i hv tried it before but always will fail to hit that note. always will find my finger is in another place. and that place makes not the right noise Razz
cvkien
i learn guitar my own too. the best source for me is first, you need a book. a chord book that teach you all the chord. second is find any song guitar chords or tabs and play it. keep on playing it and you will learn from the song. but it takes time. so patient is needed to learn guitar and your finger will be very pain for the first 2 weeks you play guitar.
agustin
no. i dont know... but you remind me when i learn hoe to play guitar.. i was like 12 years old... damn long time ago... good luck man!
angus young
peace
madpotatokipp
i just figured it all out on my own, its not that hard the learn the sounds each fret makes and just listen to music and youll know what notes to hit. guitar can be fun and can also be stressful at times.
Sparda
I'm new to guitar right now. I found Youtube videos helpful as well as the UG website. I also found a few other sites for other information about playing guitars. As for software, there is something called Midi logic that plays midis in the program and shows what frets to play on the guitar. The program is a really good visual learner. If you want to try the software you can go to http://www.midilogic.com/ that gives you a 5 day free trial. After your trial you can purchase a license key for the software if you life the software. I usually watch someone play a song on Youtube and just give it a try.. Very Happy
jadefalken
Like some have already mentioned, youtube is a great source for lessons, some are better than others, so dig around till you find some that suit your tastes. Don't get discouraged too quickly.
jwellsy
Check out
http://www.threechordguitar.com
They have some very good videos.
evilryu530
yeah learning how to play the guitar is awesome. ipod touch has a program where you can play the guitar on the ipod touch.
agustin
oh I used to play the guitar... i still got me electric guitar... but i dont know any web where you can learn online. sorry.
cloudship
I will keep this post in my collection, since I've been thinking to start learning guitar for many times, and each time i was just freak out by the ache it made to my fingers. But I really like to learn it and play it in front of my friends. It's an amusing tech I would rank the top three in charm generation. lol
loonix
I have owned a guitar now for a long time. I found a program called GuitarPro. Amazing. Unfortunately its not free. GuitarPro helped me learn a few riffs at first and kept my interest up.

Regards
Dean_The_Great
Like others said, find a friend who plays to just teach you the basics of the guitar, the science part.

Then just noodle and experiment with different tunes that you like to play.

The best chords to start with are Em, G, D, Am, C. They are all in the Major Key of G, or the Minor Key of Em. Play them in almost any order and they'll work just fine. You'll also be able to play at least 100 songs with them.

If you understand this next part then you're good to go. Here is how you make those chords. You put your finger down in the corresponding fret to the number. If there is an X, don't play that string when you strum.

Em: 022000
G: 320003
D: XX0232
Am: 002210
C: X32010

They count down from the top of the guitar. Hope this helps!
KronikSindrome
two words.....: GUITAR HERO

hahahah....

i am j/k of course
uuuuuu
The most important thing about playing guitar, contrary to popular opinion, isn't practice - it's looking good.

You need leather pants, piercings, the Metallica moustache, and boots to make some of the ladies hot.
You need to be all emotional like James Blunt for some of the others, the secret is just knowing your audience.

After all, you're not really in it for the music, are you?
You're in it for the Poo-nah-nah.

Chicks aren't as smart as you give them credit for, probably.
If you want to go through the trouble to actually learn how to play, you only need to learn about three chords to fool them.

But an easier path into the Va-Jay-Jay would be to just fake it.
You're a nerd, and you know how electronics work. Plug an mp3 player into one of your amp's inputs and your guitar into another. Switch to the mp3 player input, download some mp3s of hot guitar solos.

Just remember ABC, Always Be Closing.
Selling it is way more important than making it, and remember they're not as smart as you think they are.

Love,

Uwe.
smsa1999
Dear friends:

With a guitar on your hands, you'll always look good - the problem is if you don't know how to use everybody will start running from you.

I've learn to play guitar almost 20 years ago (damn, I'm old).

After a while, I was playing in my school, in some classes and, of course, ballads for the girls.

Now, I play all alone in my home made mini-studio with nice backing tracks.

There are some nice softwares to iniciate and pratice (like guitar pro).

There is also some books with backing tracks (for mora advance players).
TomGrey
For learning, the ThreeChord seems pretty good:
http://www.threechordguitar.com/vids.htm

Tuning is tough for me, tho.
chi0
Do a search on about.com for their beginner guitar lessons. Start from lesson one, and get a proper grip on it before you go through to the next lesson. And continue like that.

Also, you can't beat getting together with someone who can play and having them give you a few pointers. It doesn't take much, really, but if you do it by yourself there's the possibility of starting and reinforcing bad habits. You'll need a more advanced player around to kick you out of them. Wink

Good luck!
ptolomeo
To learn guitar you have to prectice a lot. Yes. Have your left hand fingers hard layers of engrosed skin already? If not, it is a call for you to practise more and more until this callosities form on them. Good luck an let your right hand nails grow a little more.
kenprincesa
jwellsy wrote:
About.com has a very active guitar forum.

Search for guitar lesson on youtube.

Yeah, i learned from Youtube videos.
spinout
the youtube is great - when I learned it wasn't from books!!! it was listen, trial n errorr... Today I am a guitar teacher n i teach to watch the youtube n copy as much as u can!
bissoboa
If you are new and want play guitar it would be useful find some friends interested in guitar and learn from/with them. Or find a good book, and try the simpler chords. I wuold suggest to look for the Justin Sandercoe website too, beacuse it has got a lot of very good material! Good luck Wink
brokenadvice
Learn and Master guitar by Steve Krenz is great. It teaches you how to read sheet music, tabs, and how to play guitar. I am just starting, but I love it. It's a little expensive to buy, you might be able to get it on ebay for cheaper.
selevan
Dont learn from books, learn few simple chords then start playing simple songs (with 3-4 chords), dont even try to touch barre chords (they arent simply for you at start). Practice, practice, practice to death and maybe you will learn something Wink
Pantherus
I've played the guitar 3 years and what kept me going was learning one song that i really like and playd until i had it perfect but it help loads with finger strength and getting a good sound then i learned the basic chords.

A
Am
C
D
Dm
E
Em
F
G
and then looked at some acoustic guitar songs and found with my small chord bank i could play most songs one you can read tab sites like UG can be really helpful and with a little bit of searching you can find most songs

Hope this helps

NB-First song I learned was street spirit by Radiohead
LEARN WONDERWALL BY OASIS check out cougarman 8 on youtube very helpful
Guelila
Insanity wrote:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

UG has a pretty good collection of lessons and articles to get you started, as well as a pretty decent archive of tabs - simple notation of songs for you to play. It's not that difficult to read tabs, and after you play a couple of songs it should get easier for you. It's all about practice and how much time you are willing to invest into it.

I agree with Insanity on that website.
Ultimate Guitar, aka UG has a lot of guitar tabs as well as many instructional videos that will help you start playing guitar.
More importantly, if you have friends that play guitar, you should ask them basic questions such as how to pick.
Also if you have a guitar song that you really like and one that is not that hard, you should just cling to it and start playing it slowly.
If you really try hard, you can learn to play guitar really quickly without a teacher.

If you dont know this song yet, listen to it once and see if you like it.
This song was like THE inspirational song that really made me start playing guitar.
Start out slowy and you'll see that its not as hard as it seems.

The song is called I'm Alright by Neil Zaza.
See if you like it Very Happy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZc0Ln9DTKQ

Im guessing you know where to find tabs right?
rapadi
i am a guitar teacher. i recomend to go to the libriary Very HappyVery Happy
imera
Great, I wanted to learn guitar, now I don't need to look for anything since I have a whole list here Very Happy
stel4e
I wanted to learn guitar for so long and I still do... but I always can't find the time.. hope to buy myself guitar soon so I won't have excuses anymore.. It's nice topic for the online lessons.. but can somebody give links to websites selling guitars not only electric but acoustic ... Sites that you have bought from... hope to find not so expensive one.. Rolling Eyes thanks
pashmina
Starting to learn with guitar pro would be a good option. As myself, I started learning guitar with the help of guitar pro. Plus it will help you with tuning your guitar. Plus invite a friend who knows how to play guitar, and try learn along. This will help a lot, as I have. If you are really dedicated towards learning guitar, you should really practice a lot. You hands will plain for some days, and also may crack, but don't worry, it will go away after your finger tips are hard enough
enjoy!!
amperx
as many of them have said, look for resources on the web, and most of all nothing beats an actual tutor, a friend maybe Very Happy, you got jam, and you'll learn faster
daefommicc
try out guitar pro. i think d most recent version is 5.2 wich supports gp3, gp4, gp5 files. those files can b downloaded from ultimate-guitar.com or 911tabs. open the gpx file and all the leads, basses, rhythms (and drums) will be on your screen (however try a good tab... torrents have a few good tab packs wich give out 1.5gb of tabs (like over a million of em) so u have a variety to choose on playing just one song in your fav way) also try powertabs software. i have no idea about the version though... try doing scales properly of you are in2 leads... guitar pro has an option dat teaches scales too... (speaking precisely sa, re, ga, ma... is a form of scale. its a c major scale) start wid chords option in guitar pro if u r in2 rhythms n chords. have fun!!!
iiinvest
A Modern Method for Guitar by William Levitt is a great book. There are four books and I remember going through all of them years ago. If you are able to learn to read music and the basic to somewhat intermediate theory and know it cold in all keys, you are head and shoulders above many guitarists.
jwellsy
If your willing to lay out a few bucks[url] http://truefire.com/beginner-guitar-lessons/ [/url] has some good lessons. Watch the sample videos to see what the lessons are like.