FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Celebrity Overload

standready
Why do we have this obsession with people who have become celebrities, no matter whether they are movie/television personalities, athletes, from the music industry or even those who have bought this status? Do we really need all the celebrity gossip shows on the television or tabloid "rags" on the newsstands?
As I watched this morning's network "news" progams, I see them even reporting on celebrity follies. I realize that all the networks are afilliated with movie and music production companies but do I really need know these follies as part of my news? Should I care about these publicity seeking egos? I hear about their limited success but more often about their falls from grace and rebounds. "ANY PRESS IS GOOD PRESS!"
I say forget this crazed desire for infomation about others, good and bad, and just "be yourself"!
bonestorm74
People will always be interested in the power of celebrity I guess. THere's a whole industry built on these gossip columns etc as you point out. Personally I hate it. I barely watch any TV these days because of the crap they trot out. I prefer to choose what I watch instead of someone serving it up to me while I sit there like a sponge.
Aless
I think it's all a load of crap...

Whoever becomes celebrity & whoever doesn't seems almost completely arbitrary anyway. The dawning of the internet has only made it 10x worse.
shkumbin
I read an article on Yahoo few days ago that media is to blame for this much celebrity coverage, mostly cable and national TVs, newspapers and now the internet. It's hideus... all those news and gossip about a slut like Paris Hilton, Britnet going nuts, Lindsay checking in a rehab make me puke, but you cant escape it -- its in your face.
guissmo
In our country, primetime shows are gossip shows. And it is so sad. Shows usually placed on these are the most "educational" or the high-quality shows. Not the shows that gives out blind items and such.
tidruG
Why are people obsessed with celebrities?
  1. They idolize some of them, and then they want to know as much about their idols as they can.
  2. They dislike some of them, and want to see them fall from grace. Some people look at Britney on the news and laugh their asses hoarse, while others watch the news to sympathize for her, and/or to pray for her to "recover".
  3. GOSSIP! Nobody really wants to know if Global Warming will wipe us out within the next 50 years or not. However, people REALLY want to discuss why Robbie Williams wears black underwear with a Tiger on it, or why Nicole Ritchie's suddenly looking like a malnutritioned junkie.
  4. Vicariousness. You can't have all the money and luxuries your favourite celebrities have, so you experience it by watching their lives on TV or reading about it in the papers.

Why is the media obsessed with celebrities?
1. Celebrities sell like hot-cakes!
eday2010
I find the celebrity shows, magazones and such very retarded. As are the people that read and watch that stuff. I don't see why people care so much about people like Paris Hilton, who is only famous for being a ******. If Lindsay Lohan gets arrested yet again for DUI, it's all you hear for 4 days. I am an advocate for the death of people like Lohan and Hilton and the like (better for them to go before they kill some innocent bystander with their stupidity). If they were gone, I would jump for joy. After a week or two of the death and funeral coverage, they would barely be mentioned again.
DoctorBeaver
I take an interest in my favourite singers/groups etc, but only to the extent of keeping up with their records & gigs. I have not the slightest interest in their private lives.

In general, I find the whole celebrity thing rather tiresome. Someone wins a reality TV show & suddenly they're a celebrity. What's all that about?

One particularly nauseating contestant on a reality show was soon on TV expounding on all sorts of subjects from genetically modified food to abortion to films (movies) to gossip about other celebrities. If she'd had well-thought-out opinions, that would be one thing; but she was ignorant in the extreme on just about everything.

Her opinions were along the lines of...

"Where do you stand on blahblah?"
"Well, it's wrong, innit"
"Why do you think it's wrong?"
"It just is"

Oh purleeze!
[FuN]goku
Aless wrote:
I think it's all a load of crap...

Whoever becomes celebrity & whoever doesn't seems almost completely arbitrary anyway. The dawning of the internet has only made it 10x worse.
agreed!
ashish2005
In my country there are celebrities but they are not that famous. We like their music, films etc but we do not like to go crazy when we see them or even take their autographs. So there aren't many celebrity gossip programs over here.

But when it comes to foreign celebrities we are a bit crazy. We watch their gossips and their mansions Wink.
tidruG
Well, here in India, it's a different story... there is a temple people have made for Amitabh Bachchan (an actor) Razz
Sanjay Dutt (another actor who is currently in jail for possessing a weapon 13 years ago) is getting news coverage 24x7. They are reporting the fact that he went for a medical check-up due to feeling a little queasy in jail, instead of focussing on more important issues.
Sure, we don't have so much of a paparazzi issue, but celebrities attract attention. Salman Khan (yet another actor) was in Hyderabad recently to launch some shop or something, and a small riot/stampede ensued to try and get close to him.
tijn01
Really good point! I hate all this celebrity stuff... These people are just ordinary people. Just because they work in places where there faces are scene they somehow become property of everyone. I don't get it... I wish they would leave these people alone. People seem to thrive off knowing what celebs are up to it's weird!
Yantaal
i wish we would leave these people alone cos i dont give a piss about who they are sleeping with or what they are wearing, i only care little bit if they are on TV and thats when i give shit,

****** of celebrities>?
tom69
I hate all this celebrity stuff...

Not because they are richer then me or anything (cause they aint) Smile nah jk...
They just seem to feel better then the average person. And that is what I hate. Money doesNOT make you better... No not even You! Paris...
thejam
word!

All this celeb. B.S.!!
I do understand some people like to look at the glamorous life, some celebs are living, because it's the closest that some people will ever get to living a life like that. ( i can actually remember reading a book for my psychology classes, wich described that especially amongst higher educated women a higher need for celeb. gossips is). HOWEVER, i really don't understand the extreme coverage in diverse media. Only today allready two articles about Paris Hilton. And it continues almost everyday!! talking about overkill. This also includes Britney Spears, Amy winehouse and Beckham.
Tabloid-style newscoverage.. yeah whatever, but the media is pushing it lately...
frozenhead
Well, it sad to think of it actually.

That's we call PUBLICITY in that context. I don't know why some celebrities even do a scandal intentionally, why? because they need that popularity. A celebrity can earn more money if they are famous and to do that, they need publicity in any means neither they achieve it in a bad or good way. In my opinion, I think that's how "show"business work: fame to have money and entertainment, not really much to comment about anyway, they are also human beings like us not in the business.
Futile
I agree with everyone to certain degree, but the one point I didn't see or may have overlooked in my reading is my approach to all this, ignore it. Change the channel; click a different link, read another article. Someone posted any publicity is good publicity whether good or bad and this is true. By complaining about it you are still promoting it whether you see it that way or not. I am sure that everyone no matter what country you or from knows of or has heard of shock jock Howard Stern. Over 60% of the people who listen to him really don’t like him they listen to him just to hear what he will say next. Yes the media and the internet do bombard us with gossip, who’s who BS and whether Brittany has a new hunk or Paris and her rat have matching outfits today. But just like anything we have a choice. I choose out to even worry about. Because if my next door neighbor gets caught shoplifting the only video that it will make is security tape that they caught her on not national news.
{name here}
standready wrote:
Why do we have this obsession with people who have become celebrities, no matter whether they are movie/television personalities, athletes, from the music industry or even those who have bought this status? Do we really need all the celebrity gossip shows on the television or tabloid "rags" on the newsstands?
As I watched this morning's network "news" progams, I see them even reporting on celebrity follies. I realize that all the networks are afilliated with movie and music production companies but do I really need know these follies as part of my news? Should I care about these publicity seeking egos? I hear about their limited success but more often about their falls from grace and rebounds. "ANY PRESS IS GOOD PRESS!"
I say forget this crazed desire for infomation about others, good and bad, and just "be yourself"!

I must agree with you. There is nothing to idolize in these celebrities, especially those like Paris Hilton. They have not accomplished anything worthwhile in their lives. All they do is extort money from directors just to have their face on the big screen, or are connected to someone who has busted their butts to deserve money and are just mooching off them. They are overrated and overpaid for what they do. I'm not pinning this on actors only. I'm pinning this on artists of all kinds (with the exception of those that have put actual effort into their work like Salvador Dali), particualarily those in the music industry like 50 Cent that try and make a poor, terrible life look like the most glamorous and honorable thing while degrading women, and being looked up to that get too much media attention and just warp the minds of children into being inherently ignorant because they already have an issue of actually giving credence to television shows like ET. I know that children can be much better than they are in American high and middle schools. They have the means, but they don't have the brains to focus on their future rather than social groups which in turn strengthen the credence to these ignoramuses living in multi-million dollar homes in California.

Money and vanity shouldn't give you media attention. Skill should give you media attention. People like Warren Buffet and Paul Allen are deserving of thier positions in the world because they've worked very hard to get to their positions. People like Paris Hilton did not, and for what Tom Cruise and Brett Farve do I don't feel they've been paid fairly. They don't even do half the work of a private carpenter and get paid hundreds of times more (my grandfather has been an understandably ununionized carpenter for over 45 years and never saw a one million dollar check for erecting an entire (two level, medium sized) addition with electricity gas and all to a house in approximately three months (it was on his house, but I think he'd still be paid diddly squat compared to a few hours of work for a football player)).
watersoul
I totally agree about this celebrity thing, magazines and tabloids are packed full with details of major and minor "stars" lives, who they're linked with, where they've been etc etc etc.
I just don't get it, I admire a person for their skills (acting, singing, dancing, musical) and I'm not interested in their lives.
To sum it up, if I called a plumber to fix my leaky tap or something, I don't care if he's seeing a girl around the corner, or what nightclubs he was at on the weekend, I just care about how skilled he is at the thing I want him to do! Rolling Eyes
furtasacra
watersoul wrote:
I totally agree about this celebrity thing, magazines and tabloids are packed full with details of major and minor "stars" lives, who they're linked with, where they've been etc etc etc.
I just don't get it, I admire a person for their skills (acting, singing, dancing, musical) and I'm not interested in their lives.
To sum it up, if I called a plumber to fix my leaky tap or something, I don't care if he's seeing a girl around the corner, or what nightclubs he was at on the weekend, I just care about how skilled he is at the thing I want him to do! Rolling Eyes

DITTO!

However, I feel that I must point something out. All these celebrity shenanigans which have somehow even crept onto segments of so-called "serious" news shows form a convenient smokescreen for the U.S. government (and possibly the governments of other nations) to hide behind while they do horrible things that might otherwise cause outrage and heads rolling.

It is absurd and very sad that I get more actual news from "The Daily Show" on Comedy Central than I can from say, CBS.
MRaftery
shkumbin wrote:
I read an article on Yahoo few days ago that media is to blame for this much celebrity coverage, mostly cable and national TVs, newspapers and now the internet. It's hideus... all those news and gossip about a slut like Paris Hilton, Britnet going nuts, Lindsay checking in a rehab make me puke, but you cant escape it -- its in your face.

I agree the media stir it all up but if people weren't reading this cr@p then there wouldn't be a market for it. Why people are obsessed by strangers lives is well beyond me....sign o the times!
Vrythramax
I tend to agree with tidruG here, these (so-called) celebrities have what many of us seek. What seems to be easy fortune and popular public attention.

I can't say honestly that I wouldn't want the fortune....the fame on the other hand they can keep. Many of these people (perhaps by choice) have no personal lives of thier own. That's simply something I could not give up.
Lukero
MRaftery wrote:
shkumbin wrote:

I agree the media stir it all up but if people weren't reading this cr@p then there wouldn't be a market for it. Why people are obsessed by strangers lives is well beyond me....sign o the times!

It's like a bandwagon. Once a person says that an actor/actress/singer etc is good, then many people will start saying the same thing and slowly a lot of people will be saying it. And the media just adds fuel to the fire. The media and the people around the celebrity are earning money from it!
Kitten Kong
The reason that people obsess so much about celebrities is because taking a pic of someone a lot of ppl have heard of and telling a story about them, interesting or not, will get the attention of people. More people will buy a magazine with Paris Hilton on the cover than one with actual news, and paris hilton is easier to write stories about. Also it keeps the plebs from knowing what is really going on, good political strategy is to publicise some scandal to draw attention away from unpopular legislation you wish to pass.