FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Problem with opening a word doc from site hosted in frihost

packiyanathsk
I have a problem in my website I hosted in Frihost.

My site is

http://packiyanathsk.frihost.net

Pls go to this site, after the flash gets loaded... You can see a image called "resume". Pls click on that.

It has to open a new window trying to open my resume in word format. It does opens a new window but it doesnt open the document. Hit refresh on the same window this time it asks for downloading the document. This should have been done earlier also because there was no path change the second time.

I really dont think it is a problem with flash file that I made because it works properly in my local machine where I made it.

Can you pls suggest. !!

Thanks and Regards
Packiyanath.S.K.
orno
wow another person from bangalore!

anyways, it works fine for me under IE 6.0 SP2, new window, everything

only thing i can think of is that ur browser is not registered to open .doc links with word or whatever office suite you are using...maybe its saving it to a temp cache somewhere. clear all your caches once and then retry
packiyanathsk
Thanks for your msg.

But this happens in any machine ! may be as you say... some service pack problem..

But how can I say some one to install service pack 2 to see my resume !! Laughing

I think this is a default behaviour of IE that it can open docs right !

Yeah one more thing that comes to my mind is... as I said it works in my local machine where I created.. it doesnt work only after I hosted it.

Im Really confused now ! Confused
Bondings
packiyanathsk wrote:
Thanks for your msg.

But this happens in any machine ! may be as you say... some service pack problem..

But how can I say some one to install service pack 2 to see my resume !! Laughing

I think this is a default behaviour of IE that it can open docs right !

Yeah one more thing that comes to my mind is... as I said it works in my local machine where I created.. it doesnt work only after I hosted it.

Im Really confused now ! Confused

(1. Your flash doesn't work in Firefox and thus in all Gecko-based browsers.)
2. What you are doing is giving a link to that .doc file. Then the browser decides what to do with it. IE is opening them itself. You can most likely change those settings yourself for your own browser, but you can't change those of the visitor. Your visitor can, however, save it after it is loaded.
3. If you really want to let it be saved, then you must send it with http-headers. But I don't know how to do that with flash.

You can use something similar as this in php. (this if for excel files, btw)
Code:
$fileName = 'mysql-to-excel.xls';
header("Content-type: application/vnd.ms-excel");
header("Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=$fileName");
packiyanathsk
Thanks for your reply..

But I really dont see any thing wrong with the version I have.. i have also tested with IE here but ..I dont know what to do now..!

Let me try to put this prblm in some flash Forum and see if it is prblm with flash ..!

Anyway Thanks ![/url]
Daniel15
Hi,

Firstly, there is a problem with your website's code. Look carefully at the following code (notice the different flash file names):

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,29,0" width="790" height="450">
<param name="movie" value="page.swf">
<param name="quality" value="high"><param name="BGCOLOR" value="#FFFFFF"><param name="SCALE" value="noborder">
<embed src="np.swf" width="790" height="450" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" scale="noborder"></embed></object>

This code says to load 'page.swf' in Internet Explorer but 'np.swf' in all other browsers. Since np.swf doesn't exist, people that don't use Internet Explorer won't see your web page at all. To fix this, change the 'np.swf' to 'page.swf'.

If I go directly to the Flash document (http://packiyanathsk.frihost.net/page.swf), and click on the 'Resume' link, it prompts me to download the file (I'm using Opera 7.54u1). I'm assuming that's what's meant to happen?
packiyanathsk
Thanks for showing a big big mistake... I mean it.. I was so confused because of this problem...and I dont know how I really missed checking this.

Thanks a lot. Smile

And abt the attachment... it works on your browser and it also works in my browser... I mean the same thng happens as for you in my desktop... But when I try it in a browser in my office which also IE 6.0 it doesnt show up the document.

Thanks
Packiyanath.S.K.
Gerardus™
Well i also tried to see your resume, but a new window opens, but nothing to show or to download. So to me it seems the .doc file isn't there or something is wrong. I have to say flash looks nice and stuff, but it also seems that most surfers dislike flash and the sites using them, especially with all the popup blockers and ad-aware software these days.
But that's all up to you. Anyways i hope you will get it working.. Smile
packiyanathsk
Thanks for your comments...!

As you said in some machines that doc doesnt get loaded. But if you hit refresh on the same window that opened newly and didnt load the document... the doc gets loaded this time.

I dont know what the problem is. Im waiting for the Site Admins to give me a solution for this.

Thanks
Packiyanath.S.K.
Bondings
It's not a problem with your website, but with the browser setting. The browser basically gets a link to a file and then decides itself what to do with it. You can only change that by using http-headers, but that will be hard in flash.
packiyanathsk
Thanks for clarifying it..!

Regards
Packiyanath.S.K.