FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Un-Official Frihost Treasure Hunt! ($frih to be won!!)

mathiaus
Start Clue wrote:

Take a trip down memory lane of storage.
Find a clue you will, at the very start.
You'll end up, where a conversation starts

Follow the clues to find the treasure ($frih)! It couldn't be simpler!

How to Win
-The first person to find each clue receives the $frih for that clue
-The first person to find the last clue and send me a list in their order, of clues, wins the *Jackpot*

How to play
1. Signup in the thread before the closing date (see below)
2. On the start date (see below), read and solve the clue in this thread to find the next clue
3. If it does not state that it has been found before, PM with a link to the post (subject=Treasure Hunt - Clue found #)
If it states it has already been discovered, move on.
4. Read and solve the next clue in a users post. (BOOKMARK these pages !!)
5. Repeat 3-4 until you reach the final message (clearly marked)
6. Copy the code and paste it along with a list of all the post clues (In the order you found them) to me.

Dates
[NOW] -The Signup for hunt is immediate. To participate, you MUST signup!
[11th August] - Signup closes
[12th August] - Hunt Begins (Hopefully at 12:01 AM [BST] )
[???] - Hunt ends after someone finds all of the clues

Rules
- To take part you need to signup before the deadline
- By signing up you agree that I am allowed to edit your posts
- My edit will be obviously mine and marked accordingly
- Your original post will NOT be removed
- If you find I have put a clue in one of your posts, you MUST NOT remove it!
- I will remove myself the clues from your posts after the hunt is over.
- No conferring.
- All links must be PM'd to me, NOT posted in this topic or anywhere else!
- Have FUN Very Happy

Disclaimer
- This is being run by me as a member
- This contest is Un-Official
- This has been checked with administration beforehand
- I am running this alone, as such the other FriHost staff are allowed to take part (they are as in the dark in regard to where the clues are, as everyone else!)

This is a horribly boring long read, but it's aim is to avoid cheating, so as to maximise the fun had by everyone.

SIGNUP
Just post below saying you want to take part! It's FREE (Though a donation is welcome [$frih 100 max] to contribute to prizes [NO personal gain by myself!])

Members joined up
- xorcist
- MrBlueSky
- saratdear
- Scorpio
- m-productions
- tidruG
- breebree
- Arnie
- truespeed
- Hammy
- Loghete
xorcist
Sign me up for it. I will donate like 100FRIH once the Sign up Process ended.
MrBlueSky
xorcist wrote:
Sign me up for it. I will donate like 100FRIH once the Sign up Process ended.

Me too. This sounds like fun!
saratdear
Count me in, too!
Scorpio
I am signing up for this as well..

However, a few clarifications..

Quote:
2. On the start date (see below), read and solve the clue in this thread to find the next clue

Does this mean that the clue will be in any one of the posts or in the main post [thread starting post]?

Quote:
4. Read and solve the next clue in a users post. (BOOKMARK these pages !!)

This clue can be in any of the users' post in a random manner, right? And, if it doesnt sound stupid, why should we bookmark these pages?

Quote:
6. Copy the code and paste it along with a list of all the post clues (In the order you found them) to me.

Does this mean that the final message is a code?
Does the first clue link to the second or are all the clues interlinked?
How do we know where to find the first clue if there is no direction to it as in the case of subsequent clues?
Will all the clues be in posts within this thread only?

Thanks,
and sorry for that long list of questions
mathiaus
The first clue will be in this topic, clearly marked for all entrants, both in a post by myself and in the first post (so it should be very to find).
This first clue will lead to the second clue, which will be in one of the entrants posts (where depends on the answer to the clue!) in ANY THREAD in the forum (I'll likely be avoiding all official Frihost topics though, such as rules, announcements etc).
The second clue will lead to the third etc etc etc
The clues will be in a certain order. Bookmarking is suggested to help you list these topics in their order once you find the final clue (which you need to do to win, just finding the last clue on its own isn't enough!)
The final message could be a message a code or anything. Whatever it is though, it needs to be a) found then b) PM'd to me in order to c) win :)

Hope that clears everything up Mr. Green
Scorpio
Sure, I am all cleared up for now.. So, I guess I am in then? Very Happy
mathiaus
No, your not allowed Razz
(Just forgot to add you sorry Embarassed )
m-productions
sounds like a blast, ill join (I hope ill have the free time... been so busy)
tidruG
I'm in.
I'll even donate 100FRIH$ for the prize right away :)

PS: There are prizes for runners-up, right? Razz
breebree
Ill play, not a big donation though I havent got much
Arnie
Is the final treasure somewhere on DALNET logs? Surprised

Anyway, since half the #frihost IRC joins, I will too. Probably won't find any clues but I'd like to have my posts edited Mr. Green
Loghete
Ah, I was also thinking of making something like this, after I saw the other Treasure Hunt topic, which I thought would be like this one when I saw the title. Though I was thinking about putting clues around the whole web, but I figured I'm too lazy to make a contest like that. Well I'll donate some hundreds of FRIH$ anyway Smile

EDIT: Wait.. can I contribute to the pot even if I don't participate? And why just 100 FRIH$?
mathiaus
Theres also the problem of control over sites. You rely on others to post clues at the right time, neither being late or too early.

You can donate to this great game. I've put a max on so I don't get carried away on the first game. This is a sort of *tester* to see how popular it is and how easy it is to run.

You can also sign-up even if you don't want to play. this means I can add your posts into the mix to make it even harder Razz
truespeed
Il join,i dont really understand what its all about,but im sure il pick it up once the clues are posted.
Hammy
Aww u didnt add me =[.

Me please =]. <3 Lol :p

Hammy.
Loghete
mathiaus wrote:
Theres also the problem of control over sites. You rely on others to post clues at the right time, neither being late or too early.

Yeah well, I wouldn't start the contest before all clues were out.

Okay well, I'll donate a 100. And you could add me to the list Smile
breebree
So just to be clear, this starts 12:01 tomorrow (august 12th) british summer time?
mathiaus
yes, approximately 50 minutes Smile
(excited?)
breebree
should'nt it have started by now?
m-productions
if its 50 mins from his post, yes, a long time ago... looks like im gana miss on the start...
mathiaus
Sorry. The server was down and I didn't know how long it was going to be like that so I went to bed. Don't know what the problem is but it's been acting up for about a week.

Unless it goes down again or stars serving blank pages, It'll be up within the hour.
mathiaus
Start Clue wrote:

tidruG
Hell, it's supposed to be a clue, not a bloody riddly puzzly weird poem sort of thing :P

Anyway, I have a question... you're only going to put clues in the posts of the people who've registered?
And how will the clues appear? In quote tags?
Hogwarts
tidruG wrote:
Hell, it's supposed to be a clue, not a bloody riddly puzzly weird poem sort of thing Razz

Anyway, I have a question... you're only going to put clues in the posts of the people who've registered?
And how will the clues appear? In quote tags?

Being the first person to find the clue (Even though I'm not registered Crying or Very sad )

They appear in quote tags and code tags - However, I will say (I asked permission to say this!) that the first one appears in quote tags.

They really aren't that confusing!

Good job Mathiaus Very Happy
mathiaus
They appear in quote tags and code tags - However, I will say (I asked permission to say this!) that the first one appears in quote tags.
That exactly

Members who didn't sign-up can play, they won't however receive any frih (I'll keep different score sheets)
MrBlueSky
Hogwarts wrote:

Being the first person to find the clue (Even though I'm not registered Crying or Very sad )

Nice. I have been looking around, but didn't find anything yet.
mathiaus
Feedback so far is that its hard (even though this is one of the easier clues). I may start giving a hint for each step each day if no progress is made.
m-productions
a hint would be great, I just went though about 10 ideas....all failed.
mathiaus
As it's the start I'll make it as easy as I can without giving it away.

1) What is 'storage'? It where the Frihost forums data is stored (Both servers provide unlimited amounts of them!)
2) Where does a conversation start (between strangers?)
3) The very start of storage is as it says, the first stored data
4) How do you load one topic and not another? (What is the difference between the topics? i.e. How do you, your browser and 'storage' know the difference between topics?)

Hope this helps Very Happy
m-productions
Bah... I was searching in the hardware section for hard drive space...ect -_-, and that hint helped... and made it harder at the same time...darn you!

also
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-1.html
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-00001.html
..ect dont work!!!!!!!!!!!! *crys*

ive gone thought about 20 ideas now... and over 200 topics (not jokeing) I suck!
truespeed
I think this contest will go on for some time.
m-productions
ive given up for now. Its aken to much of my time.
mathiaus
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-1.html

That start was removed, so the new start begins...... Question
m-productions
ugg i tryed doing a search, with a wild card for search (*) and then made it show the dates from oldest to newst... but it says nothing was fond.... ugggg. lol
mathiaus
Don't use a search. Just use that or a different URL (similar)
m-productions
oh i hate myself... i started giving up on that, and started countning by 5's and 10's to get to the new area.. and ... bah

anyway...do you PM you every time you find a new clue that dosnt have the red text that says "this clue has been found"

ekk i was doing soooooo good, now im stuck again...sorta... just so many topics to look into..
m-productions
Sorry to Double post... but this site has been actiong werid... out of nowehre its unlogging me, and just stops working on one brrowser and I have to switch to another...ect, and now if iclick edit post... it says page cant be found -_-

ANYWAY!!!!!!!! Wooot Pmed you mathiaus!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SCORE!!!
mathiaus
I'm surprised your only experiencing it now. Its been acting up for about a week now.

Great, I wake up and you've done it all Neutral
Well m-productions is the winner! Congratulations Mr. Green

I'll leave it up for a couple more days for everyone to solve then I'll post the answers.
m-productions
some of those where hard as heck!!! bet fun still.... keept me going.... I couldnt stop lol.
Arnie
What, he finished the whole course? Applause
mathiaus
I'm surprised as well. I had hoped it would last two or three days longer and several people would share the limelight in being first to finding the clues.

Once everyone else has done it I'll see what went wrong (other than allowing m-productions to take part Razz ) and see what can be done about it for next time.
MrBlueSky
I'm not as fast as m-productions, but I have found the first clue Very Happy
m-productions
hey!!! lol to be honest... the first clue was one of the hardest.... lol
The last clue and clue number 5 Where also killers ones. I think for normal people this would have gone on for a few days.... but I just, for some reaons, had a massive motivation wave for completing this game first lol. DIdnt want to stop!!

the only thing that could really make this go on for a few days is

1) dont place them in quotes
For awhile, I was reading everything.. (I found a lot of neet posts out there, which is one reason I thought this game was cool) but towrds the end, when I coundnt find it, and was on my 4th idea, I started skiming for those quote boxes..... if you made it so you had to read some... ect, it would add some time.

2)Make it so even when you figure out what keywords you should use for the search, make it so when they do use those... theres still a crap load of topics it could be...so they sitll have to "hunt"

thats about all I can think of... I think it was pretty darn good as it is.... and sorry for spoiling your fun =( you obviously spent a lot of time putting this together and I kind of...went WAM... beat it in a day =(

in fact, (if you arnt planing to give frih$ to the winner)i would like to donate 100 frih$ back for the next person who finds the last clue. Would this be ok? if so let me know so i can send you the frih.
saratdear
Found it. Razz Although, now I think that I should have found this sooner, but I didn't think hard enough.

It's great, though! I never thought it would be so much of fun.
tidruG
Alright, I found 3 clues, but I'm going to stop looking now...
I hereby demand m-productions should be disallowed from future Treasure Hunts Razz.

I'm stuck with the fourth clue, I have an idea of what it could be, but I'm unable to think up any good search queries for it.
Oh well, going to work on my site now.
Vrythramax
m-productions told me on IRC that he felt guilty cuz it was so easy, if you don't believe me check the logs for the last 12 hours Laughing
Arnie
He spent a good deal of time on it though, if I'm not mistaken Mr. Green
m-productions
no no... i didnt say I felt guilty becuase it was to easy, i said i felt guilty cause i beat it to fast when he put so much work into it!!! It did take me a long time to do (as I did it none stop) some of those hints where hard as heck and kept me going for an hour on end if not more.
mathiaus
So long as everyone has fun, I'm happy Very Happy
TarsajumaClan
m-productions wrote:
no no... i didnt say I felt guilty becuase it was to easy, i said i felt guilty cause i beat it to fast when he put so much work into it!!! It did take me a long time to do (as I did it none stop) some of those hints where hard as heck and kept me going for an hour on end if not more.
like the ask jeaves one lol...
m-productions
yeaht hat was clue 5 like i said.... was I looked at in the wrong way ... took me forever to find... over an hour.
TarsajumaClan
m-productions wrote:
yeaht hat was clue 5 like i said.... was I looked at in the wrong way ... took me forever to find... over an hour.
lol then I got it in 20 secs... either way great job man...
Vrythramax
mathiaus wrote:
So long as everyone has fun, I'm happy Very Happy

Seems your running out of FRIH$ there brother....if you need a loan just ask Wink

oh...and please provide 3 forms of identification, at least one major credit card, a list of employment history, and a suitable co-signer. Laughing
Arnie
I can also help donate some Frih$ checks... they may bounce, but hey Mr. Green
m-productions
and i as well would be happy to throw some of this prize money back if it would mean a second round of this game! I only offered 100 the first time cuase you say that is the max in the rules... but I would be happy to donate some more back, this was really fun and look forward to it again,
mathiaus
We started the treasure hunt in this very topic. I gave this clue
Quote:

This led to the topic 'Bondings' and a post by Saratdear for $frih 100.

This clue was solved....
1) Working out what storage was. It was the storage of the forums, so the database
2) "... at the very start" means first record, the first data in the database (that you can access)
3) I wasn't clear here, I meant a conversation between strangers, who of course start of with a introduction

So, people should have and some did, look fr the earliest topic in the introductions forum. This could be done by guessing Bondings would have the first topic or very simply changing the id in the view topic URL.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saratdear's post contained the clue...

Treasure Hunt wrote:
Apparently I (me, mathiaus!) am a "... good old pal..." of this person,
who incidentially is one of few to actually spell my name correctly.

This led to the topic 'Password reset' and a post by Hammy for $frih 50

This clue was solved....
1) Realising the quote is a DIRECT quote form a post
2) Searching for my name and that quote

The easiest I think.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hammy's post contained the clue...

mathiaus wrote:
1) A crazy punishment considering the crime,
a BOSS, beheading his WORKER (thesaurus time!)
2) What animal is beef from?

This led to the topic 'Employee Beheaded for not doing his job' and a post by truespeed for $frih 50

This clue was solved....
1) Changing the words in capitals (BOSS & WORKER) to employer and employee (keywords 1 & 2)
2) Knowing that cow produces (is) beef (cow being keyword 3)
3) searching for the keywords, and finding a topic where the story mentions an employee being beheaded by his employer.

The crazy punishment line was just my opinion Razz.

truespeed's post contained the clue...

Code:
Are you looking for this?

I am made of three, positive, negative an neutral.
I may well be small, but still try to find me!

This led to the topic 'an atom' and a post by breebree for $frih 50

This clue was solved by simply knowing the components of an atom
positive - protons
negative - electrons
neutral - neutrons
and that they are small.

breebree's post contained the clue...

Not by this user, for a contest!! wrote:
Don't ask Jeeves, ask the son of God.
Find the topic (Hint: Use Google)

This led to the topic 'Ask Jesus' and a post by xorcist for $frih 50

1) Ask Jeeves was better than just 'Ask' which IMO is plain stupid (irrelevant to the contest though)
2) Replace jeeves with another name for the son of god (several names but working your through to Jesus shouldn't have taken long).

I'll add some more later. If you didn't reach this point, you have the chance to start from here now Razz
MrBlueSky
They are difficult! But I keep looking. Don't post the answers too soon, please. Very Happy
Vrythramax
Maybe you should make another post stating this round was already done? It seems some people aren't reading all the posts. Sad