FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ubuntu v7.04

riyadh
i installed the latest version of Ubuntu Linux v7.04 (Feisty Fawn) recently but there seems to be a issue with the OS and modems.i can't connect to the internet using Ubuntu and so everytime i need to use the internet i need to switch to Windows XP.how can i resolve this problem?
vln004
modem? as in you're connecting via dial up? How exactly are you dialing the numbers?
Animal
A lot of windows PCs use what are known as "Winmodems" - they are basically driver controlled and few Linux drivers are available for these. This page may offer you a little help on the issue, although simply searching "ubuntu winmodem" should give you a host of information.
nitrobeat
I have installed ubuntu 7.04 and I have a ati radeon 9600SE in my pc. Ive also installed beryl with that nice cube for your wallpaper, but beryl won't work. I think it won't work because my radeon 9600 don't support 3d in beryl. Ive installed it via different tutorials, but it won't work.
Ubuntu 7.04 seems to work great. But that stupid beryl won't do his job. Do enyone else have a problem with beryl. And witch video card do you have??
Arno v. Lumig
nitrobeat wrote:
I have installed ubuntu 7.04 and I have a ati radeon 9600SE in my pc. Ive also installed beryl with that nice cube for your wallpaper, but beryl won't work. I think it won't work because my radeon 9600 don't support 3d in beryl. Ive installed it via different tutorials, but it won't work.
Ubuntu 7.04 seems to work great. But that stupid beryl won't do his job. Do enyone else have a problem with beryl. And witch video card do you have??

Please paste your output of
Code:
glxinfo | grep direct
. If it says "direct rendering: Yes" you should be good to go, if it says "direct rendering: No" then your drivers are not configured correctly. I have no experience with ATi cards at all, but I do know that the ATi drivers are not really good/stable for Linux.
rekluzz
nitrobeat wrote:

I'd say the problem is not with 'that stupid beryl' but rather with the drivers for ATI cards. I never got beryl to work properly with my ATI card when I was using Linux in the past. I'm not sure if newer drivers have been released since then though.
pll
I would like to run Ubuntu 7.04 but I got a Compaq PC (which is tattoed ; won't let me use other operating systems than windows vista). But I thik ubuntu is better than windows. I can only use it with the live CD but it's really good.
infobankr
pll - what do you mean tattooed? There's no way to install another operating system?
pedrogao
I have a tablet pc toshiba m200 and it doesn't have a cd nor a dvd drive, so I couldn't install a linux system. I recently discover wubi. Wubi is a software that you start in windows. It creates a virtual drive on windows, then restart your pc and downloads itself form the web aproximately 500-600mb of ubuntu and installs it on your virtual drive. Later you can unninstall it from your windows os, just like any other application.Now I have a dual system: Ubuntu 7.04 and windows xp. You can find wubi at http://wubi-installer.org/