FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

how much ram,ghz etc. is good for games?

x_runescape_x
just need advice on upgrades for my comp.

not taht my comps lame or anything... Confused
Psycho_X52
The best configuration would be 3.0Ghz 1GB RAM and 256mb videocard with 256 (or at least 128) bitrate.
I have 3000+ (which is 1800mhz) 768MB RAM and 64mb videocard. Most games work fine....some problems with my videocard at full details. If you'll set all to medium/low or an alternance between environement and character it will work fine.
There are some games like America's Army, Ghost Recon , etc that need at least 3.0 ghz.
Josso
It depends, if your looking at new games and running them at full spec:

- At least a GeForce 7900 GTX (or Radeon equivalent).
- 2GB of RAM
- Dual core of some kind, it doesn't matter too much surprisingly

To put it in perspective in 2004 I was running Half-Life 2 and FarCry in full spec and I needed about 1GB of RAM, and an X800 XT.
Ducksteina
I have a AMD Athlon 64 3000+ and 1 GB RAM and I can run most games fine if I don't choose the highest details / resolution...
fromegame
x_runescape_x wrote:
just need advice on upgrades for my comp.

not taht my comps lame or anything... Confused

That really depends on what you want to do with it, I have this:

- AMD Athlon X2 4200+
- 2gb DDR2 RAM (667 mhz)
- ATI X1950 Pro (256 mb)
Helios
For the best of the best, you will need a CPU with two cores (or four - the more the merrier), at least 2048 megabytes of DDR2 RAM and a fast, new generation (directx 10) video card with at least 512 megabytes of GDDR# memory.
If we are talking about prices, I'd say at least 1300$ for a high-end system.
Ultra high end systems can cost as much as 3500$.
x_runescape_x
alright, awesome thanks.
mOrpheuS
For most gaming enthusiasts, merely "running" the game is not usually enough.

The specifications for the system that you want to get will depend largely on what level of detail and eye candy you need in your games.

I, personally, tend to prefer mid-range gaming hardware - they typically hit the price-performance sweet spot.

If I were to get a gaming PC now, I'd get a E6600 + 2GB RAM + 8600 GTS. It should do all the current games just fine as well as continue to do so for another couple of years.

Topic -moved- in from "General Chat", by the way.
DarkAkira
For upgrades huh?

Well.... GHZ doesnt matter for one. It all depends on the processor. for 95% of games, you only need an AMD Athlon 64 @ 2.0GHz or better or a Pentium 4 @ 3.0 GHz or better.

Notice they are older processors. That is because games aren't really CPU intensive, and these processors run MOST games no problems. Newer, EXTREME HIGH-END games you might want to go with either an AMD Athlon X2, Athlon FX, or a Core 2 Duo. Speeds don't really matter.

For RAM, Minimum is 1 GB DDR or DDR2. I say this is minimum because this is the minimum you need if you want the games to run smoothly. Recommended is 2 GB, or you can try 4 GB if you want (not necessary).

As for a video card (which I dont think you even mentioned), go with at least a GeForce 7 Series.

I recommend a GeForce 7900 or 7950. They are fairly inexpensive, and perform much better than the 8600 series. If you have a little cash to burn, go with one of the 8800 models. It is a good card, but definitely not necessary with todays games. Sure it may be DX10, but technically DX10 is still in BETA, and there aren't really games that would take advantage of this yet. And DX10 wont be going mainstream with games for quite a while (since alot of people can't afford DX10 cards yet).

That's my advice. I build gaming systems for people for a living, so these upgrades will run great with MOST games on high settings (if not max settings), not all. For all games to run at high and smoothly, your gonna need ALOT of money to burn. Like... $900+.

Also, for even more of an increase, be sure to use and install games on a SATA 3.0 HDD. SATA is much better than ATA, and SATA 3.0 is twice as fast as SATA150. Using SATA drives will give you faster loading speeds, and overal better performance as far as helping with the texture/model loads.
munkey_boy
Get:
AMD Athlon X2 4400+
2GB DDR2 (800mhz) (Generic should do fine.)
320MB 8800GTS (Generic should do fine.)
Some motherboard that will support all this, just ask at the shop.

Should do you fine and won't cost you heaps, if you want to spend more get a Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 instead of the AMD Athlon X2 4400+.
Ducksteina
I've got:
AMD Athlon 64 2800+
2GB DDR2
2x NVidia Geforce 8800Gts
Gigabyte SLi-Motherboard

It's pretty fast and you can play everything on high with 1280x1024 resolution.
Bioshock for example looks terrific and everthing is fine.
[FuN]goku
Ducksteina wrote:
I have a AMD Athlon 64 3000+ and 1 GB RAM and I can run most games fine if I don't choose the highest details / resolution...

I got AMD Athlon 2500+ and 512 meg of ram with ehm... Geforce 3.. Hold on ill just post my specs from Xfire.
This is only one of my pc's , the one i have at my dads which i use for gaming (sadly)

Heres Part of the quote from xfire, for my gaming rig.
Quote:

Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.8GHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
Hard Drive: 80 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200
Sound Card: NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio

And if i set the graphics settings to medium, i can usually get relatively good FPS in most the games i play , this includes

World of Warcraft - Usually gets 40-45 fps (sometimes higher and around 70 if im in a small enclosed area)

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory - Depends on the map, if they caulk their textures on the map then i can easily get 200 fps, otherwise its usually choppy and around 43-60

Need for Speed Underground 2 - Im not too sure on the FPS, but it runs smoothly with medium settings.

And well, i cant think of too many other games i play at this point, those are the 3 main ones.
coreymanshack
I had an old setup that ran everything I could get my hands on fine, but the graphics werent set to the highest setting.

2.8GHZ Celeron Intel
1GB RAM
6200 Ge Force
IDE 160GB HD
Indyan
1.5ghz ram at atleast 667mhz.
Dual core with atleast 2mb l2 cache and 1.6ghz clock speed (ideally greater than 2).
Geforce 8600 GT
Helios
I think he got his answer, and this thread won't become another "show your rig" thread, because we already have one stickied.

-close-