FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Main differences Between Google v Yahoo

sathiyasri
Hi All,

Getting top rankings in BOTH Google and Yahoo is tough. When I have achieved top rankings in say Google, I find my site is no-where to be seen in Yahoo!

Has anyone got a quick guide of the differences that you have found between google rankings and yahoo rankings (if there are any of course)

Thanks
imagefree
Google Ranking is called PageRank.
Yahoo's is called WebRank.

Google Determines PageRank by a very complex algorithm and calculates the Popularity of a website by number of links tha point to that partcular site.

On the Other hand Yahoo determines the Webrank by the popularity of the pages based on the visits of that pages by the people having Yahoo Toolbar.

Edit: These two ways create a difference in the standard and Quality of the Ranking of sites and believe me Yahoo webrank is better than Google Pagerank.The reason is below.

Google Determines the pagerank by calculating the number of backlinks, and there are hundreds of ways of getting backlinks and improving your site rank like: adding google.com at your website, link excange, mass posting, posting a message in forums, Communities, the log files also help in pagerank, etc etc

and even i know a way that even in few days you get Pagerank 10.

On the other hand yahoo figures out the web rank by the visits of the people having Yahoo toolbar. It makes the stats of ranking more reliable because people visit only those sites rapidly that have quality and unitue contents.

If you are thinking that you can defeat this be spreading thousands of links and getting a huge traffic to increase your rank in Yahoo search, you are wrong. The stay of visiter on your site, the visiter's return rate etc also count.

Alexa is using the same way to calculate Alexa Traffic Rank (ie Alexa Toolbar).

IF you need more details, PM me or reply here, i will try to provide more info.
desertwind
imagefree wrote:

Well, I don't think so.

imagefree wrote:
On the other hand yahoo figures out the web rank by the visits of the people having Yahoo toolbar.

I don't know whether this is true or not, but if this is the way it goes, it is stupid.
refinedruffian
getting pr10 in few days.... must be a fake one....
imagefree
desertwind wrote:
imagefree wrote:

Well, I don't think so.

imagefree wrote:
On the other hand yahoo figures out the web rank by the visits of the people having Yahoo toolbar.

I don't know whether this is true or not, but if this is the way it goes, it is stupid.

Well if you dont think so, what can i do? But i am sure there is a way. Its just a cheat and requires google pagerank upgradation for its completion.

Well if you say that the way of calculating Webrank is stupid, then its just your own thinking. I personally think it is better than Google Pagerank because people use several ways to cheat google on pagerank. And i think the only way to increase your Webrank in yahoo is to offer yahoo toolbat to your permanent visiters.
nappa
The true is if you smart enough you can have google pagerank raise up easily. If you think it's hard then I think you probably don't find the way yet. (but 10 in a few days still unbelievable)

However we, as webmasters, can't go for yahoo webrank that much since it counts only for people who have the yahoo toolbar.

So I stick myself to google pagerank anyway.
imagefree
nappa wrote:
The true is if you smart enough you can have google pagerank raise up easily. If you think it's hard then I think you probably don't find the way yet. (but 10 in a few days still unbelievable)

However we, as webmasters, can't go for yahoo webrank that much since it counts only for people who have the yahoo toolbar.

So I stick myself to google pagerank anyway.

Yes there is no need to care for yahoo's webrank because the most important search engine is Google having 80% of all searches. If you optimize your site for google, most of the times you will see improvements in your site in yahoo's results.

Well the way to get 10 page rank is Park your Domain on google. I have no experience about it but i read it on Wikipedia in some article. What will you have to do is simpally wait for the next pagerank upgradation. And in next upgrade you will find your page rank 10.
One more thing is that this method was proved to be working in 2005 or earlier but i dont know will it work now or not.

Bye
Hamid Sarfraz
imagefree
False or spoofed PageRank wrote:

While the PR shown in the Toolbar is considered to be derived from an accurate PageRank value (at some time prior to the time of publication by Google) for most sites, it must be noted that this value is also easily manipulated. A current flaw is that any low PageRank page that is redirected, via a 302 server header or a "Refresh" meta tag, to a high PR page causes the lower PR page to acquire the PR of the destination page. In theory a new, PR0 page with no incoming links can be redirected to the Google home page - which is a PR 10 - and by the next PageRank update the PR of the new page will be upgraded to a PR10. This spoofing technique, also known as 302 Google Jacking, is a known failing or bug in the system. Any page's PR can be spoofed to a higher or lower number of the webmaster's choice and only Google has access to the real PR of the page. Spoofing is generally detected by running a Google search for a URL with questionable PR, as the results will display the URL of an entirely different site (the one redirected to) in its results.

read more about Google jacking here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/302_Google_Jacking
georgekalathil
refinedruffian wrote:
getting pr10 in few days.... must be a fake one....
yes. I am also not convinced about getting pr10 in fewer days......
littlegiant
The thing about using toolbars (Yahoo and Alexa, for example) to determine the importance and popularity of a web page is flawed because essentially only power users and webmasters install toolbars. So the demographic you're gleaning your results from is very specific and hence your results are going to be skewed. Check this article which recently showed how the Alexa toolbar produced results that said that YouTube (16 billion page views a month) was more popular than Google (100 billiion page views a month).

Alexa Declares YouTube More Popular Than Google
imagefree
Yes you are rite and its the only problem with stats collected with Toolbar (but its a hidden way to promote their own business @ Alexa and Amazone).

I have already toldabove about this problem that the web masters offering the toolbar of Alexa to their visiters will definitely get higher rank in alexa.

But the idea behind is not bad. It is based on sampling and assumed that the sample data almost perfectly reflects the aggrigate data, and to collect a random data on large scale (to get unbiased and fair stats) they have only option to introduce some software or plugin for a browser etc.
sarbaraj101
Thanks a lot for the info; imagefree, you rule! I like the way web rank is calculated.
edzofcit
You may like web rank, but we have to face the truth, that Google dominates in terms of search engines. So, better study page rank. It's very useful. Wink
georgekalathil
I have noticed one thing in common. I have a site and it rank highly in google for some particular keywords. And for these keywords it come nowhere in Yahoo. There are other keywords which comes on top in Yahoo, but sink in google... I dont know what is going on..
digitroque
Hi All,

Getting top rankings in BOTH Google and Yahoo is tough. When I have achieved top rankings in say Google, I find my site is no-where to be seen in Yahoo!

Has anyone got a quick guide of the differences that you have found between google rankings and yahoo rankings (if there are any of course)

Thanks
dude_xyx
Well it used to be that getting index in Yahoo and MSN is easy than Google. But what I have noticed is that getting traffic from either of them is harder than from Google. I see Often Yahoo and MSN crawls my web pages but I receive less traffic from them than Google.