FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

links on wikipedia

sathiyasri
Hi,

I am thinking to get links on wikipedia.How should i start?.There's a lot of external links .
Would my website increase the pagerank by doing so ?
MrBlueSky
Don't do it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:External_links wrote:

Due to the rising profile of Wikipedia and the amount of extra traffic it can bring a site, there is a great temptation to use Wikipedia to advertise or promote sites. This includes both commercial and non-commercial sites. You should avoid linking to a website that you own, maintain or represent, even if the guidelines otherwise imply that it should be linked. If the link is to a relevant and informative site that should otherwise be included, please consider mentioning it on the talk page and let neutral and independent Wikipedia editors decide whether to add it.

Wikipedia is a free encyclopedia, not an advertising medium.
Psycho_X52
You could make a wiki article about your site.... http://aboutus.org
sathiyasri
Thank You !!!!
imagefree
MrBlueSky wrote:
Don't do it.

Due to the rising profile of Wikipedia and the amount of extra traffic it can bring a site, there is a great temptation to use Wikipedia to advertise or promote sites. This includes both commercial and non-commercial sites. You should avoid linking to a website that you own, maintain or represent, even if the guidelines otherwise imply that it should be linked. If the link is to a relevant and informative site that should otherwise be included, please consider mentioning it on the talk page and let neutral and independent Wikipedia editors decide whether to add it.

One more thing that i read on WIKIPEDIA about your question is that if it is found that someone is advertising (or using referal links etc) he/she will be permanently banned.

One more thing is that they follow Google's "rel='nofollow'" in their links and it helps google not to consider the links while calculating pageranks.

Sources:
WikiPedia
Ads' Extension
manumiglani
Links in wikipedia have a lot of trust.

Even though getting links from wikipedia will not increase your pagerank as it links using rel="nofollow" but these links involves lot of turst factor with them that helps in improving the linked to site's serps ultimately.
FunDa
So, that means u are not allowed to put links in External links section in Wikipedia. Should we always ut it for discussion first ? Even if there is no pagerank, the trust factor is still there. Leave the bots, people would click the external links. I know i would

It has to be kept clean and only useful links should be allowed there....
georgekalathil
imagefree wrote:
MrBlueSky wrote:
Don't do it.

One more thing that i read on WIKIPEDIA about your question is that if it is found that someone is advertising (or using referal links etc) he/she will be permanently banned.

One more thing is that they follow Google's "rel='nofollow'" in their links and it helps google not to consider the links while calculating pageranks.

Sources:
WikiPedia
Ads' Extension

Yes wikipedia follows the nofollow option and hence the links that we have place would not be counted as a backlink.
georgekalathil
yes. never try to advertise in wikipedia.
dude_xyx
Its now allowed to advertise on wiki. Also since they use nofollow tags they wont be much use as backlinks too. But might get loads of traffic directly from those pages.
Indyan
Why bother? All wiki links have nofollow, so it wont affect search engine rankings. And the traffic you get would be negligible unless you get linked from a popular article (which is that much tougher to do).