FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Biggest Energy and Time Waster

sathiyasri
Hi all,

I believe it is this:

People spend so much time worrying about anything they have no control of. They worry about their health, what will happen with their job, etc. They worry about almost anything negative that can happen in the future.

It's time to stop and focus on things you have control of.

What is your biggest energy and time waster?
GSIS
I am tied to a railway track and there is no possibility of doing anything about that oncoming train.

Are you saying I should chill out?

If we worry about our health, perhaps it is because we have reason to? If we worry about how we will cope if we lose our jobs could it be that losing a job (even if it's extremely unlikely) would be a disaster that would have a serious negative impact on our social and domestic arrangements?

I agree that many people do worry too much, but the vast majority who anticipate and plan for future problems are far more likely to survive than those who walk into those problems with both eyes firmly closed.
DoctorBeaver
I never worry about anything. In fact, when I was married, that was one of the biggest areas of conflict between myself and my wife. She was a worrier whereas I sit back and try to think logically of a solution to any problems that arise. She used to accuse me of not caring because I didn't show any emotions about problems; but there's a world of difference between not caring and not worrying, which is something she couldn't understand.

Worrying about a problem will not solve it. Worrying dulls the mind and stops you from thinking of solutions to the problem. Worrying stops you sleeping and that makes your mental processes even more sluggish & tends to make people more irritable. Being more irritable causes more conflict and hence gives you more to worry about.

Far better not to worry in the first place. Just pour yourself a glass of Claret, sit in a nice comfy chair, and think things through impartially and logically.

The beaver has spoken!
emjawa
I think that there are things that can be done about your health and if you are unhealthy, for example, overweight or unfit, then perhaps a bit of worrying will encourage you to exercise and eat better to make you feel less tired, have a longer life, look 'better'... Of course, if you're worrying about your health because you've, for example, got cancer, then although worrying cannot really solve anything, I'm sure it's very difficult not to worry!

I think that people generally spend too much time worrying about traffic jams. Ok, you may get to a place late, and sure it's a bit boring, but just turn on the radio, think and relax! It's the perfect opportunity - there's nothing that you're able to do about the traffic jam, worrying isn't going to help you drive any fast, so whilst you've got an empty bit of time, relax!

That said, I'm not really one to be saying all this since I too spend far too much time worrying about things which cannot be changed. My biggest worry and fear is the death of my parents (which hasn't happened yet). I'm terrified of it and am almost constantly worrying about it, when I really should be appreciating their alive-ness instead.
kerryworkman
sathiyasri wrote:
Hi all,

I believe it is this:

People spend so much time worrying about anything they have no control of. They worry about their health, what will happen with their job, etc. They worry about almost anything negative that can happen in the future.

The funny thing is that most of the time when we worry about something it is because it is out of our control. If it is something we can control there is no reason to worry because there is a solution to the problem. It is a psychological response to not being able to solve a problem we are presented with that makes us worry. If we had the ability to fix our own health problems or keep from losing a job reguardless of what happens then there would be no need to worry about those issues. We all need to understand the things we can and can't control so we don't waste energy trying to solve problems that don't have solutions. Smile

As far as my biggest time and energy waster: it is having to write all these posts to keep my account active ..... jk, lol Very Happy
DoctorBeaver
My biggest waste of time is spending too much time at my stables admiring the view out over the Cotswold Hills Laughing
Billy Hill
sathiyasri wrote:
biggest energy and time waster?

Al Gore? Laughing
kerryworkman
DoctorBeaver wrote:
My biggest waste of time is spending too much time at my stables admiring the view out over the Cotswold Hills Laughing

That dosen't sound like a waste; it sounds like a way to maintain mental health and clarity.
DoctorBeaver
kerryworkman wrote:
DoctorBeaver wrote:

That dosen't sound like a waste; it sounds like a way to maintain mental health and clarity.

True, but I'm supposed to be mucking out the stables, training the horses, fixing fences etc etc.
Tatsumaru
My biggest energy and time waster is definitely the personal computer combined with the internet. I spend too much time on it haha...
The_Gamer294
VIDEO

GAMES

or any other technology for that matter, people just get sucked in, the dishes get piled up, trash overflows... well at least at my house it does.
guissmo
sathiyasri wrote:
Hi all,

I believe it is this:

I don't worry a lot about what's happening next year or in the next century. I just worry about tomorrow or next week. Why? Because in a span of one year, a lot of twists and turns can happen unto you. So it's better to prepare for tomorrow and have a GOOD pleasant day ahead.
poly
Spam takes up a lot of time..
tony
sathiyasri wrote:
Hi all,

I believe it is this:

yes; worrying is a terrible habit i do believe. it will get the one who does it no where in life! must stop the worry, as it does no good at all in our struggle...

its easy to say and yet difficult to do i do believe..
eday2010
sathiyasri wrote:

People spend so much time worrying about anything they have no control of. They worry about their health, what will happen with their job, etc...

People have no control over their health? Are you a robot? People have a lot of control over their health. They can eat healthy and be active and have control over how much fat they have on them (for the most part) or cholesterol and so forth. People can control whether they smoke or not, thus controlling the risk of getting associated cancer moreso than if they smoked.

I control how healthy or unhealthy I am.
erlendhg
poly wrote:
Spam takes up a lot of time..

Agreed, though with my spam filter, I don't worry much about spam Razz

My biggest waste of time must definately be something with the Internet ;P
vonboy
my biggest time waster would probably be video games, and then internet. i'll spend like 8 hours a day playing video games sometimes and/or doing on the internet sometimes.
Nameless
The_Gamer294 wrote:
VIDEO

GAMES

I second that.

Of course, it all depends on what you're definition of 'waste' is. If you enjoy yourself playing Video Games, is that really wasting time or taking advantage of it?

(*crosses fingers for 'taking advantage'*)
medievalman26
MMMEEEE! No but seriously though I would have to say in general Americans are but you know cars that run solidly on gasoline are really killing a ton of energy. My uncle seems to think that if you increase gas mileage it would improve efficiency but looking at it that way is wrong they would just hold more fuel thus wasting more energy at the same time as burning a hole on your pocket when you do have to fill up. We need to in general just find a way to make ourselves more efficient with all our resources so we don't waste energy and save time.
riv_
Stuff.
Honestly, stuff is a timewaster. Getting things, cleaning them, keeping track of them, paying for them, making space for them...
I think my life is entirely too stuff-centric. Blech.
Jack_Hammer
sathiyasri wrote:
Hi all,

I believe it is this:

People are worriers thats what we are in general.

and most importantly, if you dont think you have any control over your job you're not a very good employee. Same with your health, people have a lot of control over there health, eating right, excersize etc.
Kestrad
In a single word: homework.
Seiji
Kestrad wrote:

Same here. How much I wish for it not to come it always does and lots of it.
kiranaghor
I agree with the topic starter. its always about too much worrying. I have no way to stop it.
[FuN]goku
Well, The topic says
'Biggest Time and energy waster'
Which in my opinion is drugs and alcohol.

'MY' biggest time waster..... uhm.... i dont really know..... School i guess.... I learn more by reading articles and whatnot. At school i learn.... what... a few things, cuz of my short attention span XD
I just cant listen to teachers babble on about stuff for hours... i get really stressed out by it, which leads to headaches, which leads to excessive drinking of caffeine, which i dont mind of course Razz but still..
8ballcrazy
biggest time waster is the game
Runescape
it sucks up your time so much!
it sucked around 4 years of my life
Sarcas
The_Gamer294 wrote:
VIDEO

GAMES

or any other technology for that matter, people just get sucked in, the dishes get piled up, trash overflows... well at least at my house it does.

What he said
Chelissamow
MapleStory. HUGE time waster. But it's so addictive for me. Luckily, I have a job so I don't waste THAT much time on it as I used to.
DjinniFire
DoctorBeaver wrote:
I never worry about anything. In fact, when I was married, that was one of the biggest areas of conflict between myself and my wife. She was a worrier whereas I sit back and try to think logically of a solution to any problems that arise. She used to accuse me of not caring because I didn't show any emotions about problems; but there's a world of difference between not caring and not worrying, which is something she couldn't understand.

Worrying about a problem will not solve it. Worrying dulls the mind and stops you from thinking of solutions to the problem. Worrying stops you sleeping and that makes your mental processes even more sluggish & tends to make people more irritable. Being more irritable causes more conflict and hence gives you more to worry about.

Far better not to worry in the first place. Just pour yourself a glass of Claret, sit in a nice comfy chair, and think things through impartially and logically.

The beaver has spoken!

I really liked your post. I worry the hell of my head but these days when something comes up I listen to some classical music to calm down and then think things through and everything is better. At first I thought it was a feeling of just forgetting it and not caring, but I reasoned through what I worried about and it's like, there isn't anything to worry about.

Kestrad wrote:

Homework is such a time waster. We should learn at school right and not have to do busy work. I mean okay define 200 biology terms for a night's homework assignment in my opinion is BUSY WORK. I'd rather have more meaningful homework assignments that challenge the mind and present different perspectives or learning terms in a more valuable way then defining the terms and writing them on a piece of paper.

Chelissamow wrote:
MapleStory. HUGE time waster. But it's so addictive for me. Luckily, I have a job so I don't waste THAT much time on it as I used to.

I wasted 5 hours a day on maplestory and I ended up dropping my grades by 1 letter grade that I really regret that. I don't play maplestory anymore and I don't want to because it's just not fun to just sit there all day trying to kill monsters and level up.

I play starcraft and I only have to play 2 hour at most to be satisfied and then I get back to web design and programming and posting on this forum (wastes 5 hours) then I spend 1 hour on homework -.-" very sad.

My biggest time waster = not wanting to do homework :]
You know what drives that? School. I love to learn, but not in the context of I am graded on it at school.

I'd read any book if I didn't have to get graded on it, maybe a discussion about it at school and graded on participation would be fine because I'm all for discussing a book. I'd pick up random textbooks and read them on my own if I'm at a library, usually end up putting them down because I can never stay long at libraries -.-" I really hate the silences x]
justnewbie
My biggest time waster would be the Internet. I'm not sure why, I could spend the whole day reading wikipedia and do nothing else. Maybe it's good for me, but sometimes I felt that what I've read were all rubbish.. cause there's nothing to do with my homework at all.

For once, I thought homework was my biggest time waster, but not anymore.. I began to enjoy doing homework, though sometimes I became lazy and again I started reading craps on wikipedia.
windrei
i always worry about my darling.... because we are a kind of love that is not viewed good by the surrounding people. So we keep our love secret. i am always worried that one day if our love is discovered, how will it affect her.... her mood and her future... that's what i dont wanna see. But it's absolutely out of my control. i cannot make others shut up and gossip on us... What i can only do is take care of ourselves. When we go out, we go to some no people places so that to avoid meeting any people we know... we can only wait now. After a year, everything will be fine.
[FuN]goku
justnewbie wrote:
My biggest time waster would be the Internet. I'm not sure why, I could spend the whole day reading wikipedia and do nothing else. Maybe it's good for me, but sometimes I felt that what I've read were all rubbish.. cause there's nothing to do with my homework at all.

For once, I thought homework was my biggest time waster, but not anymore.. I began to enjoy doing homework, though sometimes I became lazy and again I started reading craps on wikipedia.

[OffTopic]
Wikipedia owns... i could read articles on there for days... sooooo much useful info. whenever i needa look something up thats always first before google Smile
[/OffTopic]
{name here}
The computer is my biggest time-waster, although I try to be productive and do something useful while on the internet. For humanity as a whole, I would say the biggest literal time-waster would be vanity.
phillyfan
the biggest time and energy waste is my computer and video games...
sadly i dont reely care bout it thought
maybe something good will happen out of it
pll
phillyfan wrote:
the biggest time and energy waste is my computer and video games...

Same for me !
I'll need to find a job soon to get away from my computer Razz
frozenhead
As for me? It's online gaming! Lol. I can't even continue my pending project when this instinct of mine that my had moving the mouse to click the game's shortcut on my desktop without me having really second thoughts about it and there, the game launched! Argh! I'm out of control and I play for long hours tiring myself that after existing the game, I'm tired and don't any energy to resume what i must have to do. Crying or Very sad
Donutey
Right now, reddit.com... I think you should rephrase the question to something more like, what do you worry about most that you have no control of. For me that would probably be worrying about the well being of others who don't really need the worry.
yo.hassan
sathiyasri wrote:
biggest energy and time waster?
my office. when i'm stuck in traffic jam..
skygaia
I want to live without worrying anything but it's impossible.
biljap
I think that the biggest time wasters are computer games and TV. I see some kids in my neighborhood sitting in front of the computer for five hours without even making a small break, and they do it every day! If they can’t play the games they sit in the room and watch TV or go to friend’s house to play with their computer. I believe it is not good for their health, their brain, success in school and communication with other people. I remember the times when I was younger; we all used to spend our free time outside playing with a lot of children and breathing fresh air.