FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Lots Of Work To Do in MSN!

sathiyasri
Hi,

I'm puzzled with MSN's results and what their objectives are. Seems like the results remind me a little of the days when AltaVista contended and it was common to have to wade through 2 or 3 pages of results to find what one was searching for. I think Google really made improvements to the point where searchers are trained that the most relevant results are on pages 1 and some on 2.

Search for "flowers" on MSN.
FTD.com is not in the top 50!

Search for "office supplies" and check out the #1 result (gag, puke).

Search for "buy toys" and you'll find the relevant result of Overstock.com in the #1 position and you're landed on a page that has nothing to do with toys.

I don't get it.

Makes it look like the ole wild, wild west of Search Engine positioning. This may be good for some SEO's (short term) but certainly doesn't speak well for MSN's new search product.

These words are out of the mouth of someone who truly wants to see an engine contend with Google with the real winners being the consumers and the credibility of web searches.
GSIS
Seems like a common problem with search engines in general.

When I'm searching for anything in Google I never bother clicking on eBay links any more. I always seem to end up at an eBay search page with items that bear no resemblance to what I was looking for and with search criteria so broad I'd spend hours trawling through the crap.
manumiglani
MSN is lightyears behind Google.

It is also easy to rank at MSN. You might wanna read http://www.seochat.com/c/b/MSN-Optimization-Help/ for msn optimization.
FunDa
i just don't understand why they don't catch up. Microsoft has a lot of money, a lot of brains and still they dish out the same kind of bugs in the same kind of software all the time ....

If they can improve, why don't they ? It's not really that tough right ?
manumiglani
FunDa wrote:
i just don't understand why they don't catch up. Microsoft has a lot of money, a lot of brains and still they dish out the same kind of bugs in the same kind of software all the time ....

If they can improve, why don't they ? It's not really that tough right ?

They will ultimately and are trying.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/06/03/microsoft-silicon-valley-team-building-stealth-search-engine/