FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Using GPS via Cell Phone

Chris24
I have a question. I am using sprint and would like to know if anyone knows if it possible to use the internet to visually see where the address the cell phone is at? without having to sign up for an extra service for a fee....
rvec
you need gps and an Internet connection for that.
I think there are applications for that but the application needs gps and a web server or ftp feature.
would be something like this:
http://www.tracesolutions.nl/cms-gps-track-tracing.html
scotty
You either need an inbuilt GPS other wise there is no real way to tell where the phone is. Triangulation is possible but I doubt your provider is going to let any website use their resources for free, I used it on my Dad's phone once and it was hopelessly inaccurate anyway.
Kaisonic
I know for a fact that almost all newer cell phones have GPS devices equipped, but unfortunately, they're only activated in emergency situations, and therefore only readable by emergency crews. I'm not sure if there is any software available that can "hack" into the GPS feature and let you use it for free. I know certain service providers let you use the GPS for a fee, but as for free... you'd have to use Google for that.
myrevolt
My friend has an Nokia N95 that does GPS but as Kaisonic stated while the most new phones have integrated gps, it's disabled for the consumer, to be used for presumably e-911 and the feds tracking you Wink
Chris24
the phone has a function that you can enable and disable it so that only the authorities can locate it. They have a plan that will allow you to locate your children, but I just wanted to be able to do it on my own without having to pay for another service on the phone. I checked their site and didn't see anything that I was looking for....
ankit_jain
Chris24 wrote:
the phone has a function that you can enable and disable it so that only the authorities can locate it. They have a plan that will allow you to locate your children, but I just wanted to be able to do it on my own without having to pay for another service on the phone. I checked their site and didn't see anything that I was looking for....

Dear Chris,
I have GPS Software for mobile.Which handset you have??I have nokia N73 and Nokia6600.Pm me if you want or post here. Very Happy Very Happy
scotty
This all sounds kind of suspect "authorities only activating it when they want to". If Nokia had GPS in "most" of their phones they would be selling them as GPS devices and marking up the price. As far as I know the only way the cops track people down is via triangulation. That begin measuring the signal from 3 towers to the phone (towers = known location / coordinates) and then calculating the phones position and plotting it on a map. If the phones had GPS in them I think someone who may for example drop their phone and break it notice the unit...
Chris24
ankit_jain wrote:
Chris24 wrote:

Dear Chris,
I have GPS Software for mobile.Which handset you have??I have nokia N73 and Nokia6600.Pm me if you want or post here. Very Happy Very Happy

I am using a sumsung m610, if you can pm me to discuss further...