FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

IMDB - Past its Time?

Do you think that IMDB is too Bloated?
Yes
24%
 24%  [ 7 ]
No
75%
 75%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 29

garionw
I was just looking up information on the Simpsons movie the other night and decided to go to IMDB. I occasionally visit it, but Wikipedia seems to be my preferred choice.

The first thing I don't like it is the IMDB Pro. While it may not be as annoying as ExpertsExchange, it does bug me when I can't find certain information out because its for registered members only. Then there's the adverts. Even though 90% of people would be using some sort of popup blocker, they still insist on using popup ads.

And finally the reviews; I think they need more attention - scrap the boards and just have reviews on there.

So what do you think, Is IMDB past its time and ready for something fresh to move in, and if so why? what features would you like to see added/removed/changed?

But if you do like IMDB, what do you like about it?
smartpandian
Its unique ID for referencing flims across the world.. thats it..
reddishblue
I don't use it it at all.
I think Rotten Tomatoes is much better, especially because it is not clinging to life like IMDB.

It has great reviews and extra info, and it does it's best not to spoil the plot too, which is great,
because I only go to look at movies I should see.

Add that too it's large amount of interesting features, and a stylish and helpful layout, and you have a fine website.

I have never been to the forums, well only once, but they seem well managed and relevent.

IMDB is alright, mainly because it has old and obscure movies, in case you want to look at those, but it needs a major overhaul, because it's glory days are over, and if it wasn't for Wikipedia's preference to link to it for movies, it might well be even more dead.

Reddish
rvec
i can easily search from the firefox searchbox, it has a lot of info and it has almost every movie in it. There are almost always reviews and it has a nice top 250.
jenice
I've used a lot of the different databases out there, and I much prefer IMDb over all of them. If it's a quick search I'm looking for in reference to finding a show, an actor, cross referencing who worked with who on what films, and what not - then IMDb is the better choice.

If I want detailed info for a specific actor, I can usually find a better range of references and resources at Wikipedia than anywhere else. If anything, it's a good starting point if I need to do more research for a project.
heylookamonkey
i like imdb...and they have imdb pro most likely so they can make some money because they don't have ads on the front page at least...although it would probably be better if they had ads and let everybody access the info
jenice
heylookamonkey wrote:
i like imdb...and they have imdb pro most likely so they can make some money because they don't have ads on the front page at least...although it would probably be better if they had ads and let everybody access the info

I tried IMDb Pro once, and it just didn't have enough benefits for me. I don't mind the ads so much. All the information I want is free anyway. The only reason I would ever consider the pro version is if I had a regular need to find contact information for any of the actors, reps, or talent agencies. It's worth it for that alone if you need access to that information.
TruPain
I have found lots of information on imdb on movies that I have been looking for. Works alright for me... but then agian, if I were to try a different service that was better or had more additional features, I may use those instead...
ainieas
There was a time when i spent most of my waking hours at IMDb boards. I'm past that nw but I still think it is a good site for any kind of reference for any movie.
Nameless
I occasionally use IMBD for something, and have no major qualms with it. If I was seriously researching or considering movies I might use other references instead, but there's nothing inherently wrong with it.
Ducksteina
I think IMBD if you want to have a quick look whether a film is good or not. So yeah, I like it and use it pretty often! Smile
CMA
I don't personally trust IMDB to see if a movie is good or not. I like to be the judge myself. However, I do use it when I want to check out some other information, like names of the people involved in the movie (actors, producers, etc). Also, since most movie titles get translated somehow since I'm in Portugal, as seeing that I can't rely on the translation to give me 100% accurate title translations all the time (and I've seen awful title changes in the past), I tend to search for the movies in IMDB through actors when I need more information about movies.
desertwind
The reviews or ratings on imdb doesn't affect my choice of a movie for sure. I've seen many under/over rated movies in IMDB.

BUt IMDB is a good database, as for it's fact part. As the name suggests, its a DB, nothing more. IO usually refer to it for getting more info on crew/cast, or trivias etc. For reviews i normally go to rottentomatoes.

Wikipedia is also a good page to look for movies, but is not as standardized as IMDB.
Genesiz
I've used IMDB for several years now and i also have no major faults with it. I never take notice of the ratings that films are given as i find that you can only judge a movie once you've seen it.

IMDB Pro is a load of rubbish though. I'd never use it as the information it gives you can just as easily be found for free online (if you look hard enough).
darrenpaul
To be honest, I've never found much use for IMDB, I would agree that Wikipedia is my preferred choice in terms of finding info concerning films, the site is good, yet it hasn't really moved with the times
ashish2005
I do not use imdb that much. I know the site but I always forget about it when I need to make some searches relating to a movie. So I too use wikipedia and also google it but the results contain IMDB and I visit it at that time. I do not like the site that much though.
JBotAlan
When I look up movies, I will use Wikipedia. I find that there is a lot of useless information on IMDb, and I see a lot of space for ads (Ad block pro rips many of them out). Wikipedia seems to be more fresh.

Never used IMDb.

JBot
DownUnder
IMDB used to be a good service, but now it can't compare when you have Wikipedia. The thing I like about Wikipedia is that anyone can easily edit pages, and that normally results in more content -although, that can sometimes be a disadvantage... as false information can be posted. But IMDB can result in the same, yet has less content and is more cluttered. I think they need to seriously explore revamping IMDB to freshen its appeal. A less cluttered and more easy setup would be good. But for now, its Wikipedia for me.
jenice
They do allow editing of all pages on IMDb, which has always been handy. They've also recently added FAQ pages which work much the same as a Wiki page. It's an entirely donated content page. I haven't looked at them for the movies, but for television shows they're great. For the big cult shows, it's turns out to be a handy guide of information that you wouldn't find anywhere else in the database.

As I said, it reminds me quite a bit of the wiki pages. I imagine they did it to add a bit of freshness to the content.

The other things they'd started doing recently is opening up the television shows to feature full episode guides for all the seasons, with each page having it's own show. The only problem with those is that unless the show gets a lot of traffic, those pages will often have a bare minimum for the episode pages until someone comes along and contributes more information.
Aless
I don't go to IMDb to read movie reviews...there's other websites that are better than that. I use them when I want to know who played what character in that film...then I can click and see what other stuff that person has done. It's a great indexing system. Wikipedia's not as developed on the movie front for that.
bigdan
I prefer IMDB for movies, it has a lot more features than Wikipedia. Plus, you can't edit IMDB has easy as you can edit Wikipedia, which gives it some integrity.
missdixy
I prefer IMDB over any other movie-database type thing. I usually only use it to find out what a movie is about or look up the cast and search for other movies by certain actors. It's really useful, and I can even search straight from firefox.
Teddy1
IMDb is my most informative movie data-base, I find it easy to navigate through the site and i can easily find out the cast of selected movies within their archive which could be say a movie from 5 years ago that i had previously forgotten the cast =). Very useful in my opinion
dinael
Since I'm an addict and mostly TV shows are my addiction, simply, I can't live without IMDB.
I use Firefox with adblock+ extension so I have no worries about ads. They could make more
modern webpage look though, and allow users to change colors on page. I don't like yellow so
much. Cool
Tatsumaru
I don't like IMDB, I sometimes use it if I want to know a certain actor or the year a certain movie was released. Other than that, I think the site is a bit... unfriendly looking? Haha.
ftv_flung
IMDB is great for searching for who's been in what etc.

They have a tagging system which is alright but needs working on. I find that great fun. If I like a film because of something in it - that might be tagged - I can use that tag to find other films with that in it.

There is the IMDB Pro thing which people can pay for, but to be honest I don't want it and I don't want the extra info for a price!

Wikipedia is edited by anyone and is sometimes biassed or has spoilers in it so I prefer IMDB

Also, I love being able to type IMDB <filmname> into Firefox - And I'm taken straight to it!
bigdan
ftv_flung wrote:
IMDB is great for searching for who's been in what etc.

They have a tagging system which is alright but needs working on. I find that great fun. If I like a film because of something in it - that might be tagged - I can use that tag to find other films with that in it.

There is the IMDB Pro thing which people can pay for, but to be honest I don't want it and I don't want the extra info for a price!

Wikipedia is edited by anyone and is sometimes biassed or has spoilers in it so I prefer IMDB

Also, I love being able to type IMDB <filmname> into Firefox - And I'm taken straight to it!

Exactly. IMDB Pro is mainly aimed at studio and business types, so unless you're into that side of the business, I wouldn't worry about it so much.

And as for Wikipedia, you're right on that as well.
Fake
WIki is useless piece of crap Info that you can't rely on. I think, IMDB is a little bit more factual.
crimson_aria
I occasionally use IMDB, but when checking out reviews, I usually go to Rotten Tomatoes. I use Wiki when I want detailed information.
Jaan
rotten tomatoes wins.
akshar
I like imdb because it has listing of each and very movie even the hindi movies from 1940s.
skygaia
I like Wikipedia but IMDB is more reliable, I think. There are tremendous information on the internet. sometimes I'm wondering what is correct. So I like some specific site like IMDB.
FirecrackerLabels
I also use it a lot when looking up movies, it always has decent information and links for all the actors and actresses. I have not been to rotton tomatoes that much as it usually does not show up in the search as much as IMDB.
Futile
I think that a lot of us are forgetting what IMDB is: it is a database. It doesn't need to be Flash intensive and totally interactive. Does the site need a face lift, maybe but there is no better all around resource for movies and film info on the internet. True it has it weak points like in the review category but this is not review site and reviews are not the site's main focus, like Rotten Tomatoes. IMDB’s power comes from being able to view a complete (even movies that are still in production and not out yet )detailed filmography on any actor, extensive quotes section, photos and current up to date news. IMDB is a database and provides the ability to type in a partial title, actor or phrase and come up matches. Try a partial anything on Wikipedia and see what you get. Wikipedia is an awesome resource but it is not better then IMDB when it comes to movie information. Ninety five percent of the time, you will find that a Wikipedia movie page in the references and external links section points to where, IMDB. So basically a lot of you are condemning a site that in most cases, but not all is the primary resource of the site you are holding in such blind regard.
prominent
Agreed. My only issue with imdb is that one time out of ten you search through their site looking for info on a smaller, less popular show or movie and there's not much of anything to be had. Or the info they do have is either false or relatively limited. Other than that, I can't complain as I typically find what I was looking for at their site.

Aless wrote:
I don't go to IMDb to read movie reviews...there's other websites that are better than that. I use them when I want to know who played what character in that film...then I can click and see what other stuff that person has done. It's a great indexing system. Wikipedia's not as developed on the movie front for that.