FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How do I turn my computer with Windows XP into a server?

hsadmin
Well. I just bought an Emachine that is almost brand new, and I was wondering, if I restore it, and have pretty much nothing on it, how do I turn it into a server? I just want a server to run my website on. Would a computer, with extremely fast connection, be better than my small business yahoo account?

Can someone also tell me how to turn it into a server?
badai
well, just install any free webserver like apache or apprelium's abyss.

in my opinion, it's better to use yahoo because everything is taken care of. or, you can always use your frihost account.
SonLight
With the good prices available on hosting today (free, for example) it probably does not make much business sense to set up your own server for a website. On the other hand, it is well worthwhile to get the experience.

Since you obviously have some interest, I would suggest getting a WAMP installation (Windows, Apache, Mysql, and PHP). You can google, as there are several pre-packaged ones to choose from. I would recommend trying out your site on your own local server, but if you want it to serve pages to the internet, please be careful to read all security recommendations. Once your site is working to your satisfaction, I suggest installing any needed "extras" to your frihost account, and I think you will be pleasantly surprised to find that it will work with little setup needed.

You may have some special feature you want to use that frihost does not provide. In that case, certain pages can be served from your own machine. Please be sure you check the TOS though, because many files that are not allowed on frihost are still forbidden even if linked to.

Good luck to you. I hope it's a useful learning experience for you.
coreymanshack
SonLight wrote:
With the good prices available on hosting today (free, for example) it probably does not make much business sense to set up your own server for a website. On the other hand, it is well worthwhile to get the experience.

Since you obviously have some interest, I would suggest getting a WAMP installation (Windows, Apache, Mysql, and PHP). You can google, as there are several pre-packaged ones to choose from. I would recommend trying out your site on your own local server, but if you want it to serve pages to the internet, please be careful to read all security recommendations. Once your site is working to your satisfaction, I suggest installing any needed "extras" to your frihost account, and I think you will be pleasantly surprised to find that it will work with little setup needed.

You may have some special feature you want to use that frihost does not provide. In that case, certain pages can be served from your own machine. Please be sure you check the TOS though, because many files that are not allowed on frihost are still forbidden even if linked to.

Good luck to you. I hope it's a useful learning experience for you.

When you are building your server setup, keep in mind port forwarding if you are behind a router, and ask your ISP if you have a unique IP.
bukaida
First of all, Set up a localhost with the help of any webserver depending on the server side scripting(PHP,JSP,ASP,Perl etc) you are going to use.Some standard webservers are apache, javawebserver etc.First of all test it with your native server and if everything works fine, think of hosting it by using a webhosting service.There are tons of them(both free and paid).
kansloos
Dynamic IP Issues can easily be resolved by using No-IP.org they will give u an no-ip subdomain that is linked to ur Dynamic IP. A special app makes sure that when ur IP changes, ur subdomain will be set to ur new IP.

Though a windows server might not be that secure, I recommend trying linux though cuz it uses less ram, it's free and u can disable graphical mode so u will use less system resources. (although I found that last thing to be a bitch in Ubuntu)

Also with programs like VNC and putty u can remote administrate it easily.

But use Apache or Lighthttpd as webserver, I prefer mysql as database server cuz it's fast.
hsadmin
Well, I use SmallBusiness right now, and I've already used 3 gb. I plan on uploading a movie ( Extreme Films, a movie made by me ) and that should add another gb. Plus of everything else I use for the sites. I'll give those programs a try.
exhaust
Hmmm

For all your websites belong to us (not). Use WAMP package. window apache sql php !!!
fadirocks
XAMPP is your answer Razz

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html
knullbar
fadirocks wrote:
XAMPP is your answer Razz

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

Yes Xampp is a good package to use if you're going to have your own webserver with latest php and all.. If you're not going to have such an advanced server running Xampplite is a recommendation. It's all about how much you know, about what you need it for and if it support it.

However, I'd guess your bills would get way higher then if you'd buy a webhotel, (1-10$month only) with great bandwidth and CPanel with unlimited email accounts, yeah you can find whatever today on internet for really low prices.

I hope you get my point, think about it.

Knullbar;*~
corey
Remember, that if you use one of the all-in-one solutions, they are set up for testing by default. Make sure that you follow the directions to secure them. if you're serving a movie, be sure that your ISP will allow you to serve that kind of bandwidth. you don't want to get set up only to be shut down.
ammonkc
If you just want this to be a dedicated server, then I would just blow the windows partition away and install a Linux distro on it. If you want the pc to double as a desktop machine, then this may not be the way to go for you. but if you're just gonna stick it in a closet as a full-time server, I would go with linux. Something like CentOS would takes 15-20 minutes to install with a full LAMP server setup out of the box. Its something to consider. Whatever you do, don't go the IIS route. IIS will be nothing but headaches in the long run.
fadirocks
ammonkc wrote:
If you just want this to be a dedicated server, then I would just blow the windows partition away and install a Linux distro on it. If you want the pc to double as a desktop machine, then this may not be the way to go for you. but if you're just gonna stick it in a closet as a full-time server, I would go with linux. Something like CentOS would takes 15-20 minutes to install with a full LAMP server setup out of the box. Its something to consider. Whatever you do, don't go the IIS route. IIS will be nothing but headaches in the long run.

Cool I need to try CentOS, last server i set was running Redhat 7.2 (or was it 7.3??) anyways after initial setup I killed the GUI so when it starts up only goes into text mode with services i needed to run and then disconnected keyboard, mouse and monitor and only 2 things were connected PowerSupply and Ethernet Cable, If i needed to do anything I did it through ssh Smile man I miss my old server
I almost forget how to setup things in terminal
kizarop
Well, make it game server Very Happy I Can help you. Razz
[FuN]goku
I'd say get linux, get something like apache, mysql, ftp services, ssh, etc... Then if you wanna host gameservers, just hope to god theres a *nix version or get prepared to do some Wine'ing or something.. Smile